Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turbine! Why are you screwing with my game controls!?

After updating with the 19.3 patch, I found that my resolution was changed, and some of my buttons no longer do what they previously did. Oddly enough, not everything was changed, just some things. I was able to put almost everything back to how I've always had it, except for:

I can no longer use my right mouse button (button 1) for "mouse look."

W.T.F.

From the first day I started playing (f2p launch) until I logged off last night, holding down the right mouse button allowed me to use "mouse look." This was how I strafed and steered while auto running.

Now? When correcting the other key maps that changed today, I can only find the option to toggle mouse look on or off, no "mouse look while holding (X)" -I don't recall the functions previous title- and while trying to set my right click (mouse button 1) + shift (block) to strafe or even at least toggle mouse look on/off I get the following message:

•Remapping the mouse wheel or mouse buttons zero and one are only supported for Interaction Keys.

Why!?
    Why am I no longer allowed to navigate through the game the way I've been able to for the last four years? For what reason did you change this?!?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

This happens after some patches/updates and (rarely) if my computer shuts off unexpectedly (like a power loss).

Basically your settings were reset to whatever the default is, you'll have to set them to the mode/preferences you want.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    This happens after some patches/updates and (rarely) if my computer shuts off unexpectedly (like a power loss).

Basically your settings were reset to whatever the default is, you'll have to set them to the mode/preferences you want.
    The problem is that my preferance is no longer an allowed option. I can not choose to set the right button (aka "Mouse Button 1") to function for anything besides "interaction," which is essentially attack or use. I want it for movement, have had it for movement for the last four years, and now they've decided that's not allowed.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    The problem is that my preferance is no longer an allowed option. I can not choose to set the right button (aka "Mouse Button 1") to function for anything besides "interaction," which is essentially attack or use. I want it for movement, have had it for movement for the last four years, and now they've decided that's not allowed.
    You will dislike this, but have you tried to reset ALL key controls to default and rebuild it from scratch?

Given the number of new commands they have added to this file, I know for a fact that some times a change happens and turbine does NOT write out the configuration file correctly such that the only way to get Turbine to fix itself is to utterly reset or learn their own config file language and hack it back in.

I chose to do the later a few years back. It was a lot faster than redoing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Given the number of new commands they have added to this file, I know for a fact that some times a change happens and turbine does NOT write out the configuration file correctly such that the only way to get Turbine to fix itself is to utterly reset or learn their own config file language and hack it back in.
    I don't consider myself savvy enough to try editing their files (no idea what I would need to type in, and only very vaguely know where to type it).

To see what I'm talking about, go to the key mapping options, try to set "right click" (mouse 1) to, well any non-interaction, but in my specific case "toggle mouse look." The dialogue box that pops up saying "The next key you press..." specifically states that mouse wheel and buttons 0/1 can only be set to "interactions" baring any use for movement.

Edit: Even setting it to "toggle" mouse look would be a pita adjustment to make. I'm quite accustomed to simply holding the right button when I want the mouse look functions, letting go when I'm done with them. Why on Xendric would they feel the need to take away this key mappin option?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-02-2013 at 03:06 PM.

This sounds like a horrifying change.

If I can no longer use a temporary mouse-look mode while holding down the right mouse button my enjoyment of the game will nosedive drastically. I do this ALL THE TIME.

Default Some examples of what I can no longer do:

Turbine, why did you feel it necessary to take away my ability to:

•Hold the right button and move the track ball to look up, look down or look around.

•Hold the right button and use A & D keys to slide from side to side (strafe).

•Hot auto run and hold the right mouse button to navigate with the track ball.

Were these functions causing issues? Did exit surveys indicate these options made the game hard? Are you just simply trolling me?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    This sounds like a horrifying change.

If I can no longer use a temporary mouse-look mode while holding down the right mouse button my enjoyment of the game will nosedive drastically. I do this ALL THE TIME.
    Unless my case is a "short bus" sort of special, you'll mean you did...

Trolling again, I see.

Works fine for me, and what you are saying about the option to select mouse look is a lie.

It is there.
    Mellkor Wizard, Culpepper Cleric, Coyle Warlock, Anarion Mechanic Archer, Ungoliant, Assassin, Tulkas Astaldo Vanguard Pally,
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Community Member

RMB for mouse-look is working fine for me right this instant. I'm not going to poke at anything just in case that breaks it though. I think my basic default is the FPS settings, which I've changed a little but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    Trolling again, I see.

Works fine for me, and what you are saying about the option to select mouse look is a lie.

It is there.
    I am typing all this from my phone while looking at the key mapping options panel. I hover my mouse over "toggle mouse look" - the first option under the heading of "camera" - and press the left click once, to bring up the dialogue box that states, in it's entirety (with emphasis added):

"The next key you press or mouse button that you click will be mapped to the "Toggle Mouse Look" action. You may combine keys with SHIFT or CTRL to create new mappings. Remapping the mouse wheel or mouse buttons zero(0) and one(1) and only supported for Interaction Keys."

I am not trolling. If I knew how to post a screen shot I would. (Yes, I'm that technically inept )

Edit: Perhaps you (or anyone else?) would kindly point out what I'm missing/need to select to make this function properly?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.

I've never changed that option on my settings, and it still works.
    Looking at the key mapping, near the top in "Interaction Keys" my Button 1 is set to "DDO Classic Interact / Steer"

Hopefully this helps!

Default /Steer

Seems I've had the "Ah-ha!" moment and found what I was missing. Under the "Interaction Keys" menu (probably should've noticed that title sooner /facepalm) several of the choices are "(do something)/steer." It would seem the "Select Target/Steer" most closely matches the functionality I've been missing. Although I have occasionally had to remap my keys after a game update, I don't recall ever having had to modify any of these selections to bind the mouse look fucntion (which is never mentioned by name in this section, though it is in the Mouse specific menu) perviously; it has simply always worked that way (right button mouse look) for... well... ever.

Rage subsided, I can again navigate as I always have. Apologies to anyone I may have unintentionally misled with the posts above.

Phew!

I haven't gotten into the game yet today, and was going to be super ****ed if my consistent-for-years method of interacting with the game was suddenly removed.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Phew!

I haven't gotten into the game yet today, and was going to be super ****ed if my consistent-for-years method of interacting with the game was suddenly removed.
    If, when you do get on later, you find yourself having to accept the license agreement (yet again...) and remapping your keys, you'll know (if you didn't already) where that option lies...

I already did thanks to the rather extensive key mapping I do, but this thread is super helpful in that now I know exactly what I'm in for.

One example of the remapping I do always struck me as odd that it wasn't the default:

Q: Strafe left
    E: Strafe right

It's how most WASD movement games work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    Trolling again, I see.

It is there.
    Fwiw: Mentioning that the option was not actually labeled as "mouse look" would've been much more helpful than inaccurately saying I lied. I did not lie, I was however (mostly) incorrect.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-02-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Default You are not the only one.

For yet another update, I am blessed with the morphing UserPreferences.ini file. Sometimes there is whitespace between the sections, sometimes not. Sometimes the Display section disappears, and I once saw the Username sections moved to the end in a strange layout.

These events correspond with my resolution getting reset, the opening video playing again, and sometimes my controls being changed.

Again.

I have to admit to a sense of relief, because after the last update, I posted the problem and seemed to be the only one.

Turbine, will you fix this?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Seems I've had the "Ah-ha!" moment and found what I was missing. Under the "Interaction Keys" menu (probably should've noticed that title sooner /facepalm) several of the choices are "(do something)/steer." It would seem the "Select Target/Steer" most closely matches the functionality I've been missing. Although I have occasionally had to remap my keys after a game update, I don't recall ever having had to modify any of these selections to bind the mouse look fucntion (which is never mentioned by name in this section, though it is in the Mouse specific menu) perviously; it has simply always worked that way (right button mouse look) for... well... ever.

Rage subsided, I can again navigate as I always have. Apologies to anyone I may have unintentionally misled with the posts above.
    Yes "toggle mouse look" means turn it on or off as the "t" key default does, not the press and hold functionality you were looking for.

I didn't notice anything. It works fine for me.

I have one of the mouse button ( left one ) for mouselook ( and not toggle on/off, I have to keep my finger on it for mouselook to be active ) and the other one ( right ) for attack.

Works fine.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast