Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Epic Destinies Issue

I know similar threads exist, but I find, there can not be enough of that kind.

Can we please remain in the ED of choice, while leveling the other destinies? Especially for death spell casters it is extremely annoying leveling the other destinies with gimp dcs. I also dislike that I always need to change ED when I am switching between running EE quests (EE quests are so much more fun with you A-class DCs) and running easier levels to level destinies. I instead prefer running just EE while also leveling other destinies and furthermore I like to join any lfm group which pops up without the need of adapting my EDs.

And if not, would you be so kind that we can modify destinies in any public area, so I do not have to run to the fatespinner each time? Implement it as a favor reward or something. Edit: It turned out that VIP already have this feature.

Huge ddo fan.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 10-02-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post

And if not, would you be so kind that we can modify destinies in any public area, so I do not have to run to the fatespinner each time? Implement it as a favor reward or something.
    That's called VIP irrc.

would you be so kind that we can modify destinies in any public area, so I do not have to run to the fatespinner each time? Implement it as a favor reward or something.
    You already have this option. It costs $100/year, $30/3mo, or $15/1mo.

As for the rest, agreed.

ah, ****. Ninja'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    That's called VIP irrc.
    Then make an unlock for premium. I know you want my TP. Not gonna change payment method.

Then make an unlock for premium. I know you want my TP. Not gonna change payment method.
    Probably not going to happen. It was made that way to give a vip perk because people were/are complaining that vip doesn't have as many tangible benefits as it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Probably not going to happen. It was made that way to give a vip perk because people were/are complaining that vip doesn't have as many tangible benefits as it used to.
    But I can still ask for it. In my opinion/fantasy VIP and Premium should two payment models for the same product (If you buy or lease/rent a car, you also get the same car. At the moment DDO is like pay monthly and get ddo or buy one time and get ddo with pitfalls. I simply cant understand why I get a minor product if I choose premium payment method. Both VIP and Premium PAY for ddo. I am not a guy with free normal account which asks for content/unlocks for free. If you think VIP pay more for it, just increase the prices for premium, thats good, at least to me). Just make the unlocks at a high enough price (1000TP-2500TP should do the job). This one call it Fatespinners Gift. Enough VIP vs. Premium rant, you did not expect a premium guy complaining, did you?

But anyways, this was kinda off-topic. I am more interested in staying in destiny of choice while leveling the others.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 10-02-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Community Member

this could be an unlockable perk for ED TR

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Can we please remain in the ED of choice, while leveling the other destinies?
    There's kinda a way of doing this if you want to. Just need the Saga's back up - which is supposed to be after today's update if I'm reading it correctly.

1. Run a series of Saga quests on Epic Elite in a "good" destiny so you put some XP into that
    2. Switch to a "bad" destiny
    3. Claim your 230k XP Saga reward to bump up your bad destiny
    4. Switch back to your "good" destiny
    5. Go do more stuff

It takes 1,980,000 XP to cap a destiny. So at 230,000 XP for a Saga completion, you're looking at 9 completions. Not every Saga gives 230k for it's True Elite end rewards, but you get the idea.

Personally, I never found any difficulty running my character in an off-destiny. There's always something that I could use in a destiny and add in some twists. I think this only becomes an issue for people if they get the misguided idea that they need to cap every destiny in a single life. If you bump them up over a number of different lives then what was a "bad" destiny for one build becomes a "good" destiny for another. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    There's kinda a way of doing this if you want to. Just need the Saga's back up - which is supposed to be after today's update if I'm reading it correctly.

1. Run a series of Saga quests on Epic Elite in a "good" destiny so you put some XP into that
    2. Switch to a "bad" destiny
    3. Claim your 230k XP Saga reward to bump up your bad destiny
    4. Switch back to your "good" destiny
    5. Go do more stuff

It takes 1,980,000 XP to cap a destiny. So at 230,000 XP for a Saga completion, you're looking at 9 completions. Not every Saga gives 230k for it's True Elite end rewards, but you get the idea.

Personally, I never found any difficulty running my character in an off-destiny. There's always something that I could use in a destiny and add in some twists. I think this only becomes an issue for people if they get the misguided idea that they need to cap every destiny in a single life. If you bump them up over a number of different lives then what was a "bad" destiny for one build becomes a "good" destiny for another. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
    Good points.

But with exception of the saga xp you waste the quest xp when running in a capped destiny and capped levels.
    And I got a few characters which are likely to never be tr'd again. Not interested in leveling again 28 levels to get +1 spell penetration or similar, when I can get better improvement by gathering gear, destinies and twists.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 10-02-2013 at 07:53 AM.

All is well OP your just playing the game wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Am I playing the game right?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Because I am not spending the whole time repeatedly tr'ing to prepare for endgame, which I never play because I repeatedly tr?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Am I playing the game right?
    always will depend on what you ask to what/who you ask

asking for getting all ED while running only 1 is EXACTLY the same than asking to get all pl while running same life/build

never understood why ppl can't see it

run 13 lives as pure sorc and become completionist

would be so loling, well it is granting pl with 7 lvls
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

The current ed design is horrible and the only reason some people are for it is that we went thru the soul crushing grind to level them that way, and they don't want anyone else not to go thru the same stupidly designed pain.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    always will depend on what you ask to what/who you ask

asking for getting all ED while running only 1 is EXACTLY the same than asking to get all pl while running same life/build

never understood why ppl can't see it

run 13 lives as pure sorc and become completionist

would be so loling, well it is granting pl with 7 lvls
    What are you talking about now?

Naturalhazard said OP was playing the game wrong.
    I wanted his confirmation that I was playing it right...

Seriously mate, not everything I post has meaning. Some are failed humour, some are questions, some are dealing with people like.. not sure. Some troll a day or two ago.

However, the answer is a lot simpler than you posted. "If you're having fun, yes."
    Fun is subjective and completely opinionated (aside from kobolds. Everyone sane thinks they're fun).

Doesn't matter how I play - zerger, flower sniffer, elitist jerk, etc. All that matters is I enjoy it, which I do.

Tl;dr don't take what I say seriously so often, and yes, I play the right way.

There are two sides to this situation. I'm not typically a Turbine fanboi, but the way destiny xp currently works at least makes sense. Unlike many things they do, this one is logical, has no bugs and functions exactly how they want it to.

That's not to say that it's a perfect system. Sometimes something can be perfectly logical, but also able to suck enjoyment and fun out of a system. This is a "bigger picture" problem and something Turbine has never had a great track record with for things like nerfs and voluntary systems changes so to get them to change something they actually like and is working properly is a huge undertaking. I'd say it's something they really shouldn't tinker with right now simply because it actually does work bug free unlike so many other things currently. Sometimes a fixing a broken or exploited system/item/ability can do more harm than good, but at the same time, "fixing" something that is functioning properly (according to the original Turbine design) can also be a good thing. Turbine tends to see things very black and white. Exploit = fix and WAI = keep it. When they do decide to "fix" something that is working fine, they tend to go way overboard like the enhancement pass and loot gen pass recently. While the enhancement pass seems to be a relative success, the loot gen pass has turned out to be a steaming pile. When you go all in on some new system and it doesn't work out, that is a lot of wasted time.

However, this is something that should be looked at in time, not because it's broken in a mechanical sense, but because it promotes a boring, unfun playstyle. This is counter productive and hopefully Turbine sees this.

The answer isn't as simple as just allowing xp to overflow into non maxed destinies, but it probably doesn't have to be as complicated as the AC pass where you'll need a degree in rocket science to make sense of the formula. I expect the new epic TR system to handle this in some way, whether it's what players are expecting or not. Turbine has always had the expectation that destiny xp would be gained over multiple lives. On melee lives, you'd level melee destinies and on caster lives, you'd level caster destinies. I'm sure some people do this but others choose to grind out the xp all on one life, making many of the destinies completely useless. Under the xp system of the past, this was an easy (though extremely boring and time consuming) thing to do. I'm sure there will be something in the epic TR xp pass that will push us back into the behavior that Turbine wants (destiny xp split among lives) rather than bending slightly and giving players what they want (leveling off destiny xp).

I guess my point is, I'm in "wait and see" mode right now. I expect all sorts of changes when epic TR hits, many completely unrelated to the actual epic TR system as Turbine tends to take this sort of approach to design. Change one system, then change another system in an attempt to compensate while leaving multiple systems in place that all end up having lesser functionality as a result of too much tinkering. I won't be surprised by some new system or mechanic that makes it much harder to level multiple destinies in one life or at least discourages the practice.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 10-02-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I would have liked to have seen an option to level a secondary destiny with a xp penalty... say 50%
    While in my primary capped destiny any additional XP earned goes to my secondary destiny.

This way I could remain in a destiny that is usefull to me while levelling another less usefull destiny, the penalty associated would be a deterrent to some and encourage destiny swapping as necessary but would not result in a 0XP gained because you wanted to run higher difficulty raids/other content in your best destiny.

This would also lessen the disgruntlement when forgetting to switch destinies or are near cap in a destiny and all excess XP is lost.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 12/12), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-EC 32/36), Whatthetruck(Raid farmer-2nd life).. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Good points.

But with exception of the saga xp you waste the quest xp when running in a capped destiny and capped levels.
    Don't run the quests in a capped destiny. There's more than one "good" destiny for any build. Then just switch to a bad destiny to claim your saga xp reward.

Your other option is just to run a quest in what you consider to be a bad destiny and accept the extra challenge involved.

EDIT: I can't see any changes being made to the way that ED XP is awarded, it's pretty much WAI whether you like it or not. So best we can do is adapt to that and look at how you can take advantage of the mechanics that exist. But basically, the quickest and easiest way to gain XP in an ED is to quest while in that ED. If you don't want to do that then you need to get creative. Personally, I don't see any reason why you should be able to gain ED XP is an ED without playing in that ED, but that's just me. If you want to gain levels in it, then play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The current ed design is horrible and the only reason some people are for it is that we went thru the soul crushing grind to level them that way, and they don't want anyone else not to go thru the same stupidly designed pain.
    Id be fine if they changed it, but leveling eds isnt so bad. Just start your sessions with a quick von3 and von1 in your off destiny on EN. Takes about 30mins. Then go have fun in your main. You'll be capping destinies very quickly

Even the old system was fine. You could easily get 30+ ed levels outta rusted blades in a rainy weekend. Two days of grind for permanent payoff wasnt soul crushing

I agree that there are some destinies that just don't fit well, but there is always more than one destiny that can be considered "good".

Some destinies may feel difficult at the First, but when kick-started they can open up a little bit.

I had different experiences on all of my characters with different destinies...

Pure Paladin - Found good uses in all destinies but GMoF (only useful item here was the Ki boost and Ki Healing giving me the equivalent of a Heal every 3 minutes)
    Pure Wizard - Found good uses in all but UA, LD and FoTW - but those are melee focus
    Pure Cleric and Pure FvS - Found good uses in all Destinies - Each destiny helped to bring out either the Melee or Caster side
    Pure Artificer/Druid - A case of splitting destiny leveling between Class lives - Druid life made GMoF feel like a good fit. Because of this split I found good uses in all destinies, but I believe my Bard PL is what made Fatesinger work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast