Community Member

Default Do Tier Upgrades to Cannith Challenge Items Persist through Level Upgrades?

If I trade my ingredients for an item at the Cannith challenge traders (eg: Calomel Longbow), upgrade it to tier 3, then upgrade it to the next level, do I have to repurchace the tier upgrades, or do they stick?

For example:

1. Purchase a level 16 Calomel Longbow
    2. Upgrade it to Tier 3
    3. Upgrade it to level 20

Does the now level 20 bow end up as a tier 1 or a tier 3?

Level 20 tier 1

Community Member

I havent actually ever tried it, because I very much doubt so. When the game "upgrades" your item, it destroys the old item and replaces it with whatever it tells you its giving you...in this case, a T1 weapon of the next highest level. Likewise, any Cannith crafting affixes you'd put on the item would likely be lost, too.

If you wanted to test it, you could always stick a cheapie Stone of Change enchantment on a T1, then upgrade; the Stone enhancement should get wiped, just like the other upgrades would, and then all you've lost is that cheap enchantment.

Also making me doubt it: if you could preserve tiers through upgrade, you could circumvent the need for Tokens and Epic mats to upgrade L20s to T3...
    Last edited by droid327; 10-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.

this is why I don't upgrade my items if I intend to raise the min level on them as I level.

for instance on my monk fighter rogue stunning fist stunning blow build.

I built a spare hand at lvl 4 upgraded to level 8 upgraded to level 12 then upgraded to tier 2 and tier 3 to apply cannith masterful craftsmanship

final product
    lvl 12 tier 3 (cannith crafted to lvl 10)
    this gives> Riposte, Exceptional Combat Mastery +4, Staggering Blow, Disable Device +13, Open Lock +13, Craftable (+3)

for me this is not worth it to upgrade the item tier if I am going to upgrade the level later and a lvl 10 (min lvl reduced) tier 3 lvl 12 spare hand is like Greensteel for TRing maximum power at min level that will stay relevant in lives to come.

Community Member

Ok, that's what I figured, but wanted to make sure before I did anything silly. Thanks!