Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default A Quest to Simplify Game Mechanics - Step One: Dungeon Scaling

    I know for a fact that dungeon scaling is a headache for the developers. It has to be. The variability of party types combined with the flexible nature of party sizes means that most dungeon crawls present an overly mercurial situation where dungeon parameters need to be adjusted on the fly. I'd like to offer you some solutions:

    1. Remove dungeon scaling based on class. That orc's HP shouldn't go up simply because a sorcerer has more DPS than a ranger. Game-wise that makes no sense, and mechanics-wise it makes even less. Don't try to class balance here. What's the point in having more DPS if it is going to be negated by scaling?

    2. Scale the dungeon based upon the party's largest size since the adventure began. This means if you're running a 6-man VON3 and everyone drops but you, you might have a difficult time, but it keeps things simple.

    3. Make scaling flexible. That means scaling might increase some mob's HP in some instances, and it might increase the amount of mobs in another.

    4. Allow the party leader to modify scaling upward. This means if a group wants a challenge, they can max the scaling out if they wish. It's a fun option, and I know a few people who would love it.

    5. SIMPLIFY. SIMPLIFY. SIMPLIFY. Scaling should not be an arcane sequence of numbers. It should be straightforward and non server intensive.

    ---

    I hope my ideas help you make DDO a better game, because while I have been disenfranchised with your choices as of late, I am hopeful that you will right the ship and make DDO the game I used to know and love.

  2. #2
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    3. Make scaling flexible. That means scaling might increase some mob's HP in some instances, and it might increase the amount of mobs in another.
    .
    No. Scaling effecting number of mobs is what bugs out da and creates instant red alert situations, it should absolutely not do this.

  3. #3
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    No. Scaling effecting number of mobs is what bugs out da and creates instant red alert situations, it should absolutely not do this.
    I address that in part two about dungeon alert. Dungeon alert should reduce XP gained in the adventure if the mobs aren't taken care of instead of causing crippling changes to character status.

  4. #4
    The Hatchery danotmano1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The rainy side of earth
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    1. Remove dungeon scaling based on class.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. It's completely unnecessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    2. Scale the dungeon based upon the party's largest size since the adventure began.
    This won't work, far too easily exploitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    4. Allow the party leader to modify scaling upward.
    THIS would be awesome indeed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    5. SIMPLIFY. SIMPLIFY. SIMPLIFY.
    Agreed.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

  5. #5
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    I address that in part two about dungeon alert. Dungeon alert should reduce XP gained in the adventure if the mobs aren't taken care of instead of causing crippling changes to character status.
    Also horrible as it means that you just eliminated the playstyle of people that prefer to sneak and build rogues etc for it. It also doesn't fit the developers stated goals when they designed it.

  6. #6
    Community Member WilliamBraveheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    I know for a fact that dungeon scaling is a headache for the developers. It has to be. The variability of party types combined with the flexible nature of party sizes means that most dungeon crawls present an overly mercurial situation where dungeon parameters need to be adjusted on the fly. I'd like to offer you some solutions:

    1. Remove dungeon scaling based on class. That orc's HP shouldn't go up simply because a sorcerer has more DPS than a ranger. Game-wise that makes no sense, and mechanics-wise it makes even less. Don't try to class balance here. What's the point in having more DPS if it is going to be negated by scaling?
    When did they change dungeon scaling to be based on class last I heard it was only party size that caused scaling?


    Lookin for sumthin to kill!!

  7. #7
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Also horrible as it means that you just eliminated the playstyle of people that prefer to sneak and build rogues etc for it. It also doesn't fit the developers stated goals when they designed it.
    No. No. No. Sneaking wouldn't reduce XP award. Aggroing mobs and leaving them alive would.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    I know for a fact that dungeon scaling is a headache for the developers. It has to be. The variability of party types combined with the flexible nature of party sizes means that most dungeon crawls present an overly mercurial situation where dungeon parameters need to be adjusted on the fly. I'd like to offer you some solutions:

    1. Remove dungeon scaling based on class. That orc's HP shouldn't go up simply because a sorcerer has more DPS than a ranger. Game-wise that makes no sense, and mechanics-wise it makes even less. Don't try to class balance here. What's the point in having more DPS if it is going to be negated by scaling?

    2. Scale the dungeon based upon the party's largest size since the adventure began. This means if you're running a 6-man VON3 and everyone drops but you, you might have a difficult time, but it keeps things simple.

    3. Make scaling flexible. That means scaling might increase some mob's HP in some instances, and it might increase the amount of mobs in another.

    4. Allow the party leader to modify scaling upward. This means if a group wants a challenge, they can max the scaling out if they wish. It's a fun option, and I know a few people who would love it.

    5. SIMPLIFY. SIMPLIFY. SIMPLIFY. Scaling should not be an arcane sequence of numbers. It should be straightforward and non server intensive.

    ---

    I hope my ideas help you make DDO a better game, because while I have been disenfranchised with your choices as of late, I am hopeful that you will right the ship and make DDO the game I used to know and love.
    I dont think Simplify means what you think it does.....

    Devs are NOT actively adjusting dungeons "on the fly" as you say. Its already programmed, automated, and completely off the radar at this point. no one is touching the system. "Finished" or not, they are done with it and moved on to half completing other systems.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  9. #9
    Community Member redspecter23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    4. Allow the party leader to modify scaling upward. This means if a group wants a challenge, they can max the scaling out if they wish. It's a fun option, and I know a few people who would love it.
    I don't have a lot to say about your other suggestions but this one right here strikes me as interesting. The ability to create your own challenge level definitely has my attention. There is a consensus that there is a massive difference between epic hard and epic elite, but what if I could play epic hard ramped up a notch? I wouldn't have to deal with either CR 30 (EH) or CR 50 (EE). I could scale EH up to maybe CR 45 if that is a difficulty I'm comfortable with. If I don't like epic warding and lack of CC options on EE I can just take EN and scale it up to CR 50 for a similar experience without all the stat damage immunity, etc.

    Now Turbine could offer this for challenge alone. They could allow us to compete with other players to see who can tackle the highest difficulty. They could offer a small xp bump for trying higher scaling. My point is there is an open endedness to this sort of scaling that could add options for players that are otherwise bored of the same old thing.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

  10. #10
    Community Member Phidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    I know for a fact that dungeon scaling is a headache for the developers. It has to be. The variability of party types combined with the flexible nature of party sizes means that most dungeon crawls present an overly mercurial situation where dungeon parameters need to be adjusted on the fly. I'd like to offer you some solutions:

    1. Remove dungeon scaling...
    I agree 100%.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload