Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Content priority?

A friend of mine and I just started running around. She's new, but I know my way around a bit. However, with that said, I know it's best to get adventure packs first, but what to get? We can't afford to get premium status right now, and after doing some math, it would take over 30,000 Turbine Points to unlock all of the quests, races, classes (not including those unlockable via favor, such as Drow, Favored Soul or Artificer) and the Shared Bank (simply for convenience).

So, what should be our priority in packs?

Community Member

If you want a review of 2012 and before packs you might want to Google Sirgog's excellent thread on adventure packs. Nice analysis and detailed scoring system.

Ideally, if you don't have any packs at all your best bet (albeit really expensive tp-wise) is Gianthold - Eveningstar - Wheloon, for many reasons. Gianthold starts right where FTP quests nearly dissapear. GH will bump your level up to 17, where Wheloon kicks in, up to 20. Then it's Eveningstar up to epic 24, then GH Epic, then again Wheloon epic. That way you've got things to do all the way from level 1 to 28, but more important, you'll be able to gear yourself up for the journey and have enough resources to upgrade that gear to the current best endgame builds (bear in mind that in order to run some epics on higher difficulty settings you want epic destinies). If you don't get either Gianthold or Wheloon you'll find yourself quest-starved at one point or another.

I will now provide some alternatives, but I no longer recommend any of the older epics (the token of the 12 ones) because (with notable exceptions) gear is outdated and they stop being useful at epic lvl 25 or above.

Vale of Twilight is still decent for levelling and solid for TR'ing but is nowhere near as appealing as it used to be. Consider vale if you can't afford Wheloon, but that will give you fewer endgame epics and make it near impossible to upgrade your epic gear until you get epic destinies (or have friends that don't mind have you piking along epic elites). If you do get vale instead of wheloon just bank xp when you're at lvl 18. If you can't afford eveningstar, some cheap old-fashioned heroic-epic packs might fill the gap; stuff like phiarlan carnival or (more expensive, but overall a better choice) the Vault of Night. Read Sirgog's excellent tread for detailed info on old epics alternatives to Eveningstar.

Hope this helps.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

First off, I advocate not buying anything that's bundled in the MotU CE; instead, wait for the CE to go on sale again so you can score the whole shebang. MotU has been half-price at least twice since it came out last year, so I don't see any reason not to expect it to go on sale again.

Second, here is sirgog's review thread that fred mentioned; and here is EllisDee37's recently started thread. The former is obsolete while the latter is unfinished; but between the two you should have a pretty good idea of what's good and what's not.

Third, the good news is there's lots of F2P quests for the first several levels; more than enough to introduce your friend to DDO. So, don't feel pressured into buying anything right away. If your friend's like the rest of us, it'll take a few tries before she finds a class / build combo she likes, anyway.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    If your friend's like the rest of us, it'll take a few tries before she finds a class / build combo she likes, anyway.
    He said it right. I went through over 25 toons before I finally hit level 20 on a build I enjoyed.

be warned, a few packs have gone down in worth, due to gear nerfs, exp nerfs, quests/quest mechanics being broken etc

Wow. Lot of replies. I would have gotten to this sooner, but my account had some issues that have been fixed. Now, let's see...

I did see sirgog's thread. I was worried that it would be outdated some, as I figured the various packs would end up either obsolete or perhaps changed over time. Ruins of Gianthold seems to be an absolute yes in acquiring. Other high priority ones seem to be The Phiarlan Carnival, Delera's Tomb, Vault of Night, The Red Fens, Attack on Stormreach, Vale, and The Demon Sands. Menace of the Underdark and Shadowfell as well for epic level content. Those two are rather pricy, however. So, I suppose should wait and gather the favor rewarded Turbine Points along the way. Those alone however, would roughly cut the time in half needing to grind that system.

I did a bit of math, and came up with all of the packs, classes, races (save for those attainable via favor) and the shared bank, estimated it to be 31,595 TP, with MOTU and Shadowfell being a strong third of that. In either case, it appears to be the case that Gianthold seems to be a definite winner. Though will come a time where experience won't be enough come level 16-18 or so.

If you can only buy one pack, get Gianthold. Great heroic content. Great epic content. Best armor and helms in the game as well as relevant loot from level 12 to 28. Decent xp and you can theoretically level from 10 to 28 just off that pack. You'll certainly want more content to make leveling easier and more enjoyable, but that is the best bang for your buck you are going to find.

Avoid high price/low functionality options like druids and bank space for now. Yes druids are great, but the amount of adventure packs you can buy instead is far more worth it when you're starting out. That goes for all races and classes, but druid stands out as one of the more expensive. Shared bank and bank space are also great things, but adventure packs first if you're on a budget. Non essentials later.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    If you can only buy one pack, get Gianthold. Great heroic content. Great epic content. Best armor and helms in the game as well as relevant loot from level 12 to 28. Decent xp and you can theoretically level from 10 to 28 just off that pack. You'll certainly want more content to make leveling easier and more enjoyable, but that is the best bang for your buck you are going to find.

Avoid high price/low functionality options like druids and bank space for now. Yes druids are great, but the amount of adventure packs you can buy instead is far more worth it when you're starting out. That goes for all races and classes, but druid stands out as one of the more expensive. Shared bank and bank space are also great things, but adventure packs first if you're on a budget. Non essentials later.
    Gianthold definitely is at the top of the list right now.

Far as Druid / shared bank, etc..., those are low priority compared to content at this point. I merely added them into the equation simply because they were less filler and something that sounded more "necessary." Shared Bank was merely a convenience for BtA items. A bit of more math, and it seems that all Adventure Pack content currently costs roughly 26,745 TP, a slight 4,850 TP difference from including the Monster Manuals, Warforged, half Blood Bundle, Monk and the Shared Bank. Potions, cosmetics or other attained items from in-game were excluded. This would cost more if adding in Druid (which was placed into the MOTU expansion as far as points go), Artificer (which can be unlocked via Cannith favor), Drow and Favored Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Shii-Kun View Post
    We can't afford to get premium status right now
    You must mean VIP - as soon as you buy TP to get adventure packs, you get upgraded to Premium.

Btw: if you do want to buy "lower level" content, I second getting Delera's. It's a good pack to get, overall: story, atmosphere, challenge, and loot are all worth it. I like to run my characters through it to get Voice of the Master.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Voice_of_the_Master
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (30 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (18 Ranger), Alansa (24 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (30 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (20 Fighter); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/3 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (18 Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by Sianys View Post
    You must mean VIP - as soon as you buy TP to get adventure packs, you get upgraded to Premium.

Btw: if you do want to buy "lower level" content, I second getting Delera's. It's a good pack to get, overall: story, atmosphere, challenge, and loot are all worth it. I like to run my characters through it to get Voice of the Master.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Voice_of_the_Master
    I meant Premium. We can't afford so much as the cheapest point cards at the moment. So even those perks are out of reach right now.

I don't know. It would, at the least, be something of a TR priority, perhaps.

Well the good news is you can grind the TP and buy everything that way. 32000 TP's seems very high at first glance. If you are playing with a friend you can create a TP grinding slots on one server. Takes about 1 hour for 25 TP so not sure it is worth the time/effort but very doable. Plus you get all the favor at increments of 100 so that will help you on your main server/toon.

My old thread is totally out of date.

Gianthold is the #1 priority. Epic Destinies are #2, and some source of Tokens of the Twelve that isn't the Spinner of Shadows chain is probably #3 (the VONs most likely).

If you are looking to play totally free, run everything you can on elite and hold off on other purchases until you are able to TR a couple of times. TRing is a huge source of TP if done by spending tokens.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Ruins of Gianthold seems to be an absolute yes in acquiring. Other high priority ones seem to be The Phiarlan Carnival, Delera's Tomb, Vault of Night, The Red Fens, Attack on Stormreach, Vale, and The Demon Sands. Menace of the Underdark and Shadowfell as well for epic level content. Those two are rather pricy, however.
    I wouldn't recommend The Phiarlan Carnival. For starters, the last quest in the chain is prone to causing the client to crash to desktop. There is also enough content at the level range that chain would cover that you don't actually need the Heroic quests it adds. The loot is also out of date.

Out of those you list, I would highly recommend Vault of Night. Jungle of Khyber (VON quest 3), Haywire's Foundry (VON quest 4), and the first part of the raid (VON quest 5) all give a lot of experience both in Heroic and Epic level ranges. The raid drops a few good but rare items. The raid will also drop Flawless Red Dragonscales on Epic with a reasonably good chance to get them and they still sell moderately well.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

I meant Premium. We can't afford so much as the cheapest point cards at the moment. So even those perks are out of reach right now.

I don't know. It would, at the least, be something of a TR priority, perhaps.
    I know others may disagree with me, but if you're in the position of needing to grind favor for points, you might want to consider some lower level packs like Tangleroot and Delera's before the higher level stuff like Gianthold. I also like Red Fens & Vault of Night for the Kundarak favor (bank space).

Default My thoughts

Considering your situation I would:

1. Start off make a couple of toons and play all the FTP quests before you buy anything. There is plenty enough to level your toons and get a feel for the game and more importantly decide what classes you like to play. Everyone has their own liking.

2. Save your TP. Save your TP until you actually cap a toon and have run everything on Elite that you can.

3. Then like others have said, start spending TP with GH. As Sir Gog said, get Epic Destinies (in particular before you even start with 20+ content). Don't even bother running 20+ without Epic Destinies you will be wasting your time and setting yourself up for disappointment. Better to TR or make another toon and cap him for the TP.

Fact is if you just started playing there is a LOT of content in the low to mid levels that is a lot of fun (assuming you have never run it before or are fairly new). 20+ to me is really only a "must do" if you are bored of the 1-20 content.
    RTFM, DOOF, and MACHINATION on Khyber. Guild: Toy Soldiers.

I'll get to everyone else soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    My old thread is totally out of date.

Gianthold is the #1 priority. Epic Destinies are #2, and some source of Tokens of the Twelve that isn't the Spinner of Shadows chain is probably #3 (the VONs most likely).

If you are looking to play totally free, run everything you can on elite and hold off on other purchases until you are able to TR a couple of times. TRing is a huge source of TP if done by spending tokens.
    To make sure, that last one is suggesting to hold off on TRing until we've collected enough tokens to do so several times? From free-to-play quests that would be roughly 1100 some odd favor. (As I think challenges are only done once a day through free challenge tokens). That'd be something like... 4200 some odd TP (including first time favor and the 25 per 100 favor) for running all favor on each server.

Looks like the last few levels before 20 would take a bit of time and grinding and holding some levels, but by then, we should be able to hit elite on at least all of the free content available. Though, I suppose I doubt that all of these would be enough come time to TR and all, though. But, if we run the other servers as well, we should have plenty for a fair numbers of packs for that as well.

Are you recommending to purchase the destinies, without purchasing them through the MOTU complete expansion?

I'll get to everyone else soon.

To make sure, that last one is suggesting to hold off on TRing until we've collected enough tokens to do so several times? From free-to-play quests that would be roughly 1100 some odd favor. (As I think challenges are only done once a day through free challenge tokens). That'd be something like... 4200 some odd TP (including first time favor and the 25 per 100 favor) for running all favor on each server.

Looks like the last few levels before 20 would take a bit of time and grinding and holding some levels, but by then, we should be able to hit elite on at least all of the free content available. Though, I suppose I doubt that all of these would be enough come time to TR and all, though. But, if we run the other servers as well, we should have plenty for a fair numbers of packs for that as well.

Are you recommending to purchase the destinies, without purchasing them through the MOTU complete expansion?

I raised the comment about TRing because you can easily cap a 28/32 point character on free content without too much grinding, but capping a 34 or 36 pointer will be... unpleasant... unless you are in a position to buy some of the higher level heroic packs (Necro 4, Reaver's Refuge, Inspired Quarter, Dreaming Dark, etc).

It's up to you, and with the new XP system you will be better placed to get there than you would have been pre-U19, but still that million XP from level 18 to 20 is horrible even when you have all the packs.

You absolutely need Destinies to play post 20 really at all. Acquiring the entire MOTU expansion takes a lot more TP (not sure how much it is) but the MOTU quests are a much lower priority than destinies.

Also, for your first life at least, collect a free challenge token every day. You will need these at 20 as a source of Tokens of the Twelve for TRing; the Lords of Dust chain has abysmally low token drop rates and you need 20 tokens (2000 fragments) to TR for free. In subsequent lives, hopefully you will own the VON chain, which is a good source of tokens. (Don't bother with challenge favor; you want epic materials to turn into tokens of the twelve. Get more entry tokens than you feel you need as you will mess up a few times on the challenges.).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

To reiterate some important points that have already been raised:

-Do not buy anything that you get from the MotU package. You should and will be buying that pack as soon as possible - its unequivocally the best value for your dollar possible. Plus, if that's your first purchase on your account, then it ALSO unlocks all the goodies that Premium status gives you, on top of everything else. I'm a huge fan of games being viably F2P, but the Motu is such a good value that its worth the time to grind out $30 in real life than however many TP it would cost to purchase all those things a la carte

-GH is your first standalone pack to buy. The rest of the MotU bundle packs fill things out nicely; after that, Vale is also popular, as is Sands. I dont have VoN yet, but I've heard good things about that too

-Collect free Challenge tokens religiously. A lot of people dont like challenges and think you shouldn't buy the pack; I like them and I'd put the Cannith Challenge pack high up on my priority list, if I was starting again. But if you dont want to/cant buy it yet, collect your Daily Tokens so you can hit Time is Money at L21 and grind out some Epic Tokens for TRing. A first lifer, with limited gear, can still get somewhere like 250 Magma Shards per run of TiM, so 20 Epic tokens = 6000 Shards = 24 runs, which means 24 free daily tokens at least.

-Don't forget you can earn an easy 125 TP once per server by playing a character to 100 Favor. Once you've played your first characters to L10 or so, you should know the game well enough to be able to blitz a new character on each server to 100 Favor.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Well the good news is you can grind the TP and buy everything that way. 32000 TP's seems very high at first glance. If you are playing with a friend you can create a TP grinding slots on one server. Takes about 1 hour for 25 TP so not sure it is worth the time/effort but very doable. Plus you get all the favor at increments of 100 so that will help you on your main server/toon.
    After this thread, the plan is to farm every server for the majority of it's tiered TP. After that, was going to have another account set up to just grind out the 100 favor. By then, we'd have Veteran Status unlocked, so it should be easier. Hopefully, that time would be easily cut in half by then.

Still, even if that's the case, it would take roughly 3 months of straight grinding that at 8 hours a day. I hear some people sell TP through platinum, so maybe that might work as well, if only to get us premium, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    I wouldn't recommend The Phiarlan Carnival. For starters, the last quest in the chain is prone to causing the client to crash to desktop. There is also enough content at the level range that chain would cover that you don't actually need the Heroic quests it adds. The loot is also out of date.

Out of those you list, I would highly recommend Vault of Night. Jungle of Khyber (VON quest 3), Haywire's Foundry (VON quest 4), and the first part of the raid (VON quest 5) all give a lot of experience both in Heroic and Epic level ranges. The raid drops a few good but rare items. The raid will also drop Flawless Red Dragonscales on Epic with a reasonably good chance to get them and they still sell moderately well.
    I only mentioned it due to having a high rating on those threads mentioned before.

VoN seems to be popular choice in this thread. It might very well be the second or third quest I take up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    I know others may disagree with me, but if you're in the position of needing to grind favor for points, you might want to consider some lower level packs like Tangleroot and Delera's before the higher level stuff like Gianthold. I also like Red Fens & Vault of Night for the Kundarak favor (bank space).
    I was planning on grinding out the first 100 favor or so anyway for extra points. So this may not necessarily be an issue until it'd be time to TR.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Considering your situation I would:

1. Start off make a couple of toons and play all the FTP quests before you buy anything. There is plenty enough to level your toons and get a feel for the game and more importantly decide what classes you like to play. Everyone has their own liking.

2. Save your TP. Save your TP until you actually cap a toon and have run everything on Elite that you can.

3. Then like others have said, start spending TP with GH. As Sir Gog said, get Epic Destinies (in particular before you even start with 20+ content). Don't even bother running 20+ without Epic Destinies you will be wasting your time and setting yourself up for disappointment. Better to TR or make another toon and cap him for the TP.

Fact is if you just started playing there is a LOT of content in the low to mid levels that is a lot of fun (assuming you have never run it before or are fairly new). 20+ to me is really only a "must do" if you are bored of the 1-20 content.
    1. Was already planning on that. My concern was that possibly reaching the Heroic cap on strictly F2P content would be nearly impossible. Seems not to be the case, though a bit grindy, perhaps.

3. Gianthold is definitely on the first to buy list.

I'm not necessarily new, but she is. However, her play time is irregular.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I raised the comment about TRing because you can easily cap a 28/32 point character on free content without too much grinding, but capping a 34 or 36 pointer will be... unpleasant... unless you are in a position to buy some of the higher level heroic packs (Necro 4, Reaver's Refuge, Inspired Quarter, Dreaming Dark, etc).

It's up to you, and with the new XP system you will be better placed to get there than you would have been pre-U19, but still that million XP from level 18 to 20 is horrible even when you have all the packs.

You absolutely need Destinies to play post 20 really at all. Acquiring the entire MOTU expansion takes a lot more TP (not sure how much it is) but the MOTU quests are a much lower priority than destinies.

Also, for your first life at least, collect a free challenge token every day. You will need these at 20 as a source of Tokens of the Twelve for TRing; the Lords of Dust chain has abysmally low token drop rates and you need 20 tokens (2000 fragments) to TR for free. In subsequent lives, hopefully you will own the VON chain, which is a good source of tokens. (Don't bother with challenge favor; you want epic materials to turn into tokens of the twelve. Get more entry tokens than you feel you need as you will mess up a few times on the challenges.).
    Out of curiosity, what would be the bare minimum packs to own for running a 36 point character? I assume they would largely be mid-high level packs. This is strictly on wondering what would work for simply grinding out TR's for favor in lieu of possibly running nothing but TR's for favor and all?

I see. Will start collecting them, then.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    To reiterate some important points that have already been raised:

-Do not buy anything that you get from the MotU package. You should and will be buying that pack as soon as possible - its unequivocally the best value for your dollar possible. Plus, if that's your first purchase on your account, then it ALSO unlocks all the goodies that Premium status gives you, on top of everything else. I'm a huge fan of games being viably F2P, but the Motu is such a good value that its worth the time to grind out $30 in real life than however many TP it would cost to purchase all those things a la carte

-GH is your first standalone pack to buy. The rest of the MotU bundle packs fill things out nicely; after that, Vale is also popular, as is Sands. I dont have VoN yet, but I've heard good things about that too

-Collect free Challenge tokens religiously. A lot of people dont like challenges and think you shouldn't buy the pack; I like them and I'd put the Cannith Challenge pack high up on my priority list, if I was starting again. But if you dont want to/cant buy it yet, collect your Daily Tokens so you can hit Time is Money at L21 and grind out some Epic Tokens for TRing. A first lifer, with limited gear, can still get somewhere like 250 Magma Shards per run of TiM, so 20 Epic tokens = 6000 Shards = 24 runs, which means 24 free daily tokens at least.

-Don't forget you can earn an easy 125 TP once per server by playing a character to 100 Favor. Once you've played your first characters to L10 or so, you should know the game well enough to be able to blitz a new character on each server to 100 Favor.
    - Really? It would unlock all of that?

- Definitely going to get Gianthold first. Just about everyone is recommending it.

- Wait, you've lost me on that last one. Magma shards for Tokens of the Twelve? I thought they were 100 each? Or can the Magma Shards be transferred into those?

- Was planning on hitting all of the favor per server. First the free to play. By then, the characters should be 18 - 20. Then I would simply grab favor from new packs as they're gotten. So, with Gianthold, for example, after unlocking it, all of the other servers would run those for the favor. This would be continued with the other packs as well, hopefully getting enough first time TP rewards to help unlock other perks as well.

Community Member

I'd say that some of the best money I've spent so far was for the Artificer class. I love playing an Arti.

As for packs I started off with some of the cheapies that I could enjoy right away and gradually built up my collection as I leveled up (It took me a year to get to the cap of my first character.)

These are the ones I play mainly though :

Sharn Syndicate (I love the smaller, more varied quests.)
    Pharlian Carnival (Just a fun and cheapish chain. It is easy to find groups for too)
    Devil Assault (Nice because it is cheap and the main quest levels up from 6 to 20 to Epic)
    Delera's Tomb (Expensive but there are always PUGS available. Also nice XP, gear and I enjoy the quests)
    Sorrowdusk Isle (Under-rated. Quite a few quests.)
    Attack on Stormreach (Cheap and nice at the barren 13-14 levels. Also no huge wilderness area to navigate to get to quests)
    Vale of Twilight (Expensive but it is pretty much essential.)

When you get there MoTU is an essential expansion but don't worry about it yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast