I know it'd be quite complex, but I've been mulling over how cool it would be to have the ability to craft spells into items. Just a few of my thoughts on what it could include.
- Would require a scroll of the spell, and the material components
- A flat platinum cost, based off the SP cost of the spell
- number of uses per day determined by spell level (for sake of example, let's say 5/day for 1-3rd spell, 3/day for 4-6th, and 1/day for 7-9th)
- item level would be player-determined by choosing spell caster level (so you could make a min level 10 haste ring and a min level 28 haste ring as a capped wizard)
- An experience point cost to add metamagics to the spell
- Spells could only be put onto certain items based on the spell (boots only for haste?)
- 1/character, like most clickies
Some of the more ludicrous examples of things players might love to have that might be considered too OP, and hypothetical costs:
Ring of Heal, 3/day. Min level 12
Cost: One scroll of Heal. 40,000 plat (sp cost 40 x 1,000 plat). XP cost 10,000 XP (10 sp to add Empower Heal x 1,000 XP)
Usage: Heals ~158 HP (120 base * 1.32 (half spellpower from empower heal)). No UMD required.
Boots of Haste, 5/day. Min Level 20
Cost: one Scroll of Haste. 20,000 Plat. XP Cost 10,000 XP (for extend)
Usage: 4 minutes of Haste (2 minute base duration x2 extend) per click.
Helm of Wail of the Banshee, 1/day. min Level 17
Cost: One scroll of Wail of the Banshee (rare scroll). 50,000 plat.
Usage: One cast of Wail, DC 19.
Particularly for spells with DCs, doesn't seem like it would be too dangerous. And it would be advantageous to non-spellcasting classes and to players who don't want to have to invest into UMD too heavily.