Community Member

Default Determining what class to play

Hello. I recently downloaded the game and was doing some research on the classes, and decided that I either want to play Paladin or Sorcerer. However, I then discovered multiclassing. From what I understand, the Sorcerer's power is based on charisma, and the Paladin also should have a fair amount of charisma. Basically, I'm considering aiming for either 18 paladin/2 sorcerer or 18 sorcerer/2 paladin. The sorcerer continues to learn spells throughout its levels, so I'm leaning toward the 18 sorcerer/2 paladin, but I'm curious as to what some older players would have to say on the matter.

Community Member

Depends on what you want out of the character.

20 Sorcerer is a pretty standard build. It'll focus on nuking (damage-dealing spells). You won't be very versatile, but you'll do a lot of damage. It's hard for other Sorcerer builds to match the damage you'll be doing. You'll have decent crowd control (disabling) spells, and you'll be able to instantly kill things sometimes with spells like Finger of Death, but it won't be your specialty; if you want to specialize in those, Wizard is generally a better choice.

18 Sorcerer/2 Paladin is a more defensive and survivable build. You give up some power on your spells, but gain bonuses to all your saves (Saves are defensive stats against things like death spells and poisons [Fortitude], fireballs and traps [Reflex], or mind-control and fear [Will]). You can also work in some physical combat using things like a Paladin's Divine Might and other bonuses, though it's difficult to fit in anything worthwhile without sacrificing your spellcasting.

17 Sorcerer/3 Wizard gives you less offensive power than 20 Sorcerer, but gives you access to Wizard's Zombie form, which lets you become partially undead. You can heal yourself with your negative spells (Death Aura & Negative Energy Burst), you have lots of immunities, but also some drawbacks like increased light damage taken and the inability to be healed by positive (cure) spells, which is what most people will be healing themselves and others with, leaving you mostly to heal yourself. You also give up a lot more than normal in terms of DCs (the number your target has to save against to avoid/partially avoid your spells), as Zombie form comes with a -4 Charisma (reducing all your DCs by 2).

16 Sorcerer/2 Paladin/2 [Rogue or Monk] is like the 18 Sorcerer/2 Paladin build above, but with less spell power and even more survivability. The Rogue/Monk levels give you Evasion, which nullifies the damage you take from spells and traps that have a Reflex save when you make that save, instead of doing half damage. Rogue also gives you access to more skills like Use Magic Device, Disable Device, and Open Lock, which provide increased versatility, though it's hard for a new player to have enough Intelligence to use those skills. Monk provides more saves than Rogue, but doesn't have the skills that a Rogue has.

As you may have noticed, the less Sorcerer levels you have, the less powerful your spells become. However, you can gain increased survivability or versatility by sacrificing Sorcerer levels. It's up to you how much you want to give up.

For a new player, I'd recommend as basic a build as possible, which in this case would be 20 Sorcerer. Play it for a while (try to get to level 20 if you can), and see what you like or don't like about the character. I'm a fan of the 17 Sorcerer/3 Wizard build, though I tend to solo most of the time, so the bonuses to survivability and innate self-healing are exactly the kind of thing I need.

Don't forget to try other classes, either. It gives you good experience and knowledge when it comes to figuring out how to get what you want out of a character.

18 sorcerer/2 paladin is solid.
    18 paladin/2 sorcerer is a poor choice for the 2 splash levels.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Sorc 18 / pal 2 is quite potent; basically you give up a few spells, spell pts (SPs), and the sorc capstone for Divine Grace, which adds your CHA bonus to your saves, which is a huge boost to your survivability. It also grants access to pally wands, like Cure Serious Wounds, which is helpful if playing a non-Warforged sorc, as well as armor & shield proficiencies; you wouldn't use them early on because of Arcane Spell Failure, but later if you invest in ASF reduction, using armor+shield can boost your survivability thru AC+PRR+turtling if necessary. The main drawback is your pally splash delays your spell progression, so you're always a lvl or 2 behind what a pure sorc is getting.

Pal 18 / sorc 2, OTOH, has no real synergies, despite appearances. The sorc splash gets you lvl 1 buff spells (most of which you can acquire from gear or UMDing scrolls/wands); technically you could add a lvl 1 DPS SLA, but since spells scale with # of caster levels, it would be so weak as to be useless pretty soon.

There are melee-focused sorc builds out there - often with pal & monk splashes - Tukaw's being the most famous; but they're not something I would to a newcomer, esp. if you don't have WF yet.

Community Member

Well it seems the general consensus is that I should main sorcerer, which is what I was leaning toward. Thank you all for your very quick replies.

Honestly, the recent enhancement pass and changes to DM almost completely nerfed paladin. I wouldn't suggest making one and instead go sorc. Its a sad day for me to actually suggest something like that, but its true.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Honestly, the recent enhancement pass and changes to DM almost completely nerfed paladin.
    Started up a Paladin alt about a week ago after having enjoyed it during my completionist project. Beyond simply being a bit less capable due to lack of decent gear I don't really see anything that would indicate an almost complete nerf. Divine Might certainly will take a higher Charisma score to achieve the same amount of damage (42 Charisma for +16 to Strength giving +8 to damage), but I don't believe this will be difficult to achieve. Also it no longer has an upper limit meaning you can go beyond the previous version's limit of +8.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Wink Erm of your two listed 18 Sorc./2 Pally, but...

Scrap both ideas. Go Halfling Rogue and rule the earth while killing anyone in your way... well rule till I kill you for being in my way of obtaining complete rule over Ebberon/FR again.Seriously. GO HALFLING ROGUE! It's a BLAST! ~Somewhat Friendly Neighborhood Halfling
    Orien: ~Erofen (28 Assassin Rogue) ~Erostorage (16 PM Wizard) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (24 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

Default Ugh... Typo.

*again. Seriously
    Orien: ~Erofen (28 Assassin Rogue) ~Erostorage (16 PM Wizard) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (24 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

Try levelling one caster class and one melee just to level 7 or so, you will learn from that which playstyle you prefer.

7 will take a while the first time but will become very fast after you find your feet in-game (most veteran DDO players could level a new toon to 7 within three hours on a server they have no gear on).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

16 Sorc/2 Pal/2 Rogue might actually be a more newbie-friendly build. You lose out on some top-tier spellcasting, but your melee ability will make up for that, and for new players, its much easier to learn weapon combat than play a pure spellcaster. The new EP gives L2 Rogues a lot of options to increase their melee damage.

That also gives you Evasion, which you might not yet realize is a supremely awesome way to stay alive vs spells, especially coupled with your very high saves from Paladin. Its called a "Tukaw" build, very classic, you might see that referenced sometimes.

I played through a life, before the EP, that was 2 Rogue/17 Sorc/1 Fighter, Warforged. Lots of fun smashing things with a Greataxe while they were melting under my Acid Rain and Melf's Acid Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    16 Sorc/2 Pal/2 Rogue might actually be a more newbie-friendly build. You lose out on some top-tier spellcasting, but your melee ability will make up for that, and for new players, its much easier to learn weapon combat than play a pure spellcaster.
    Personally I would recommend Artificer over Sorcerer and Monk over Rogue. You'll already be going with Warforged or Bladeforged for self-healing so you might as well splurge and purchase a couple really powerful classes as well. Besides Sorcerer doesn't really add much towards melee and missing four levels will hinder your spell casting by quite a bit.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Default 2 pal no more

I see allot of 2pal splash talk going on here, somewhere even DM was mentioned. This I no longer valid as of U19 the DM enhancement was nerfed for one, but more importantly since DM uses Turn Undead charges you would need 4 lvl paladin to be able to use it even though you can pick it up at level 2 from the enhancement window.

I would suggest 17sorc/2mnk/1fvs to get DM

as fvs you can pick DM at lvl 1 and it will use spell points rather than charges.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Personally I would recommend Artificer over Sorcerer and Monk over Rogue. You'll already be going with Warforged or Bladeforged for self-healing so you might as well splurge and purchase a couple really powerful classes as well. Besides Sorcerer doesn't really add much towards melee and missing four levels will hinder your spell casting by quite a bit.
    Well aside from not wanting to suggest the OP drop $50 bucks before they even start the game (because the first $30 you spend should ALWAYS be on the MotU package)...

-Sorcs have a lot of no-save spells at their disposal. Go Earth Savant, and use your single-target and AOE HOTs to supplement your melee DPS. Plus SLAs...16 Sorc isn't that gimped as a spellcaster.

-Artis are INT-based, Sorcs are CHA-based. Since you're taking /2 Pal for the saves, which are CHA based, Arti doesn't synergize very well. And, honestly, Arti doesn't add that much for melee either - you get, what, +4 damage and a runearm imbue?

-Monk is solid, of course, and both give you Evasion, but Rogue gives you three decent melee attacks and doesn't hamstring your weapon selection or force you into unarmed (while not getting the increased die of higher Monk levels), which for a new untwinked player is a lot more important.

Community Member

Whichever class you build, I think you should start with a pure build. This will allow you to get familiar with the class and the game with fewer distractions.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Go Earth Savant, and use your single-target and AOE HOTs to supplement your melee DPS.
    Personally I would go Lightning and Water. Eladar's Electric Surge and Niac's Biting Cold are a lot more potent. Only reason I would consider Earth is for boosting Stone Skin since it has no upper limit anymore.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Personally I would go Lightning and Water. Eladar's Electric Surge and Niac's Biting Cold are a lot more potent. Only reason I would consider Earth is for boosting Stone Skin since it has no upper limit anymore.
    Individually yes, but a lot more expensive, too. Melf's is an SLA for Earth, so free metas. Acid Rain is AOE, and a great way to speed up trash kills. Plus for Eladars/Niacs, its only worth it to meta the third layer, so its a little more micromanage-y.

I usually save the Eladars and Niacs for bosses, where the slow build-up is more effective, and worth the SP cost.