Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Trap

Quote Originally Posted by Chaimberland View Post
    My favorite trap is the blade trap guarding the mushroom in the 3rd Depths quest. You just don't expect it. I mean, who traps a mushroom? Its brilliant.
    And similarly, there's the secret door in foundation of discord...open it, and all that happens is a wall of spikes comes out. I also like trolling party members opening it from the side as another person runs past

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    There is a sweet spot on that one, it just takes practice and very light taps forward.

OMG I HAVE TO GO TRY IT NOW!!!!!!! Ding! :P
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Best trap in the game at the moment has always been the blade-trapped mushroom in ..... well, if you know where it is then you've probably found it the hard way at least once if you don't know where it is then no spoilers

Trapping a collectible genius

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default It works :)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    OMG I HAVE TO GO TRY IT NOW!!!!!!! Ding! :P
    It works. I have to do that when the box blows. I've done Durk's under level and had the box blow and kill the whole party : ) )

So, I nudge up to the chest if I survive the box blowing. However, when I try to show someone live I always nudge too far and get us killed

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post

I stopped trying to kill the ball, because its seems I'm the only one that trys to kill it. Died a few times tryin' too. I consider it to be a trap without a box and the best to way to disarm it is to let the zergers have a go at it. I let the opportunity pass me by.
    Drop a charge at the bottom of the stairs as soon as you see the optional appear and then run away. Kaboom. No more rock.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default OMG I'm running stat when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Drop a charge at the bottom of the stairs as soon as you see the optional appear and then run away. Kaboom. No more rock.
    You rock!!!

My toon moves slow and I sometimes trail in that quest and I pick up charges I don't use. OMG I'm trying that solo first. Then with party.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would have to say my favorite traps were those in Gianthold. The trap in A Cabal for One guarding that hidden chest, the trap in Foundation of Discord that has spikes the size of your character, and the air jet trap in A Cry for Help were all pretty interesting to see go off for the first time.

Traps definitely bring a uniqueness to each quest and seeing them moved around is a good thing in my humble opinion.

The rainbow in the dark rest shrine trap. Just evil. I remember my first time encountering it... ugh to say the least.

Favourite traps in DDO are the air jets in Sins that blow you into the ceiling spikes. Well, the 1st time through anyways. Once you know it it's no fun. Also there's another air jet to spikes in GH, Cry for Help I think. Again fun 1st time, not so much after.

Best trap I've ever encountered was in PnP and it went something like this:

DM: The party enters the room by the only door, set in the NW corner of the room. As the last of you enters, you hear a "Click" and the muffled sound of gears and wheels fills you with dread. The East and West walls have begun to rumble inwards - You'll be Crushed!

PC: BACK TO THE DOOR!!!

DM: The door has already been passed by the walls. You can no longer reach it.

PC: I can handle this! I focus my mind in search of a way to disable the mechanism.

DM: You don't find any levers or buttons or anything remotely resembling a way to disable the trap. But, the room isn't exactly featureless.

PC: Well, okay, let's look around and see what's what. How fast are the walls closing in anyways?

DM: The walls are closing in slowly but steadily. They're stone, heavy, and look and feel solid enough to crush a Destrachan. You probably have no more than 5 minutes before the once 20ft square room is no more than a very bloody 20' x 0' room. There are a half dozen wooden beams, ranging from 3' to 8' in length, some with strange notches and grooves. Also, you notice that both of the moving walls have 2 square recesses in them, depth unknown.

Of course, in the end the solution was to piece together the beams, aligned with the recesses, in such a way that the squeezing walls cause the assembly to "scissor" together, pushing all 4 "recesses" simultaneously with the force of the moving walls themselves. The assembly will only fit together one way to disarm the room. The party is not aware of a "point of no return" after which, if the assembly is not in place correctly, the room is too narrow for the scissoring beams to ever be able to fit, and they (we) are brutally crushed.

Our DM had a very nice pic of the room drawn up, and actual little beams that we used to solve the puzzle trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

has to be the secret door in foundation of discord. Not only it pierces you when you open secret door there is several seconds delay when second trap near first one strikes.

Spire of Valdus (I think.)

You climb way up and then near the central shaft there is a trap that blows you off the walkway and down the shaft to your death...

... did I mention that a spinning spike trap pops up at the ledge, so you blown through it for a nice blender effect before you begin the plummet?
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Community Member

The ceiling spikes in Monastery. Evil.

The Rainbow chest trap where the floor falls down and you SEE the chest but you can't get to it anymore. ("Ok, all, stop. STOP. STOP NOW! Dammit")

The entrance area to Proof. Probably the trap that has caused the most wipes in the game. A lever you need to hit that activates a trap. A trap with a DC on elite that 90% of trappers can't do. Casters on the walkway. People getting stuck in the fire on the bridge. ("Ok recalling...").
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

The fake chests with traps were my favorite, Redwillow and Feast. Too bad some n00b developer went "hey, chests that don't work?" and put loot in them.
    Dielz on the Cannith Server
    Alts: Dielzen, Veldruk, Faska, and numerous others

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanincubus View Post
    My favorite one is the dual fire trap in Tempest's Spine, with the lever behind it. It's my favorite, because it gets so many people, even those who know it's there. The fact that pulling the lever isn't even essential to completing the quest, makes it all the better. It's simply there to open another entrance, if you fall off the top. Hilarious.
    ...Just jump around the side and pull the lever? Not exactly hard, nor dangerous. (Though very amusing to watch people forget)

My new favorite is the one in Thrall of the Necromancy in the Delara's Tomb pack. The 1st trap before you enter the big room. It's just nasty. Thanks goodness the trap box is in front of the trap. Although I feel the trap box should be behind the trap in general, and allot are, this one is fine the way it is ) It's funny to see the party wipe there and/or get killed by the trap while disarming it when a zerger runs thru it )
    That's the one in the very 1st corridor rght? Yeah that's hilarious without a trapper if people don't know the trick to it.

The one at the start of graverobber in house J is pretty vicious too without a decent bit of jump, featherfall & some skill/luck.. and the box is actually on the far side of it too
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

I stopped trying to kill the ball, because its seems I'm the only one that trys to kill it. Died a few times tryin' too. I consider it to be a trap without a box and the best to way to disarm it is to let the zergers have a go at it. I let the opportunity pass me by.
    Usually a couple of Balde Barriers in the corridor will take care of it. I usually hide in a nook up the hall, then jump in behind it and spam what ever spells I have at it. If your melee, then your prtetty much S.O.L.

What about traps in Epic chains? there are three i lke much:

1. trapped trap box yeah, if u dont know u get sliced while disarming another trap
    2. grease + blow traps in one of sloping tunnels which can easily pull u to lava ponds
    3. fire jets on bridge and blow trap on doors - if u make it to doors happy u survived the jets it will blow u thru traps again, not mentioning the archers making trapper job even more fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    As far as Gauthaag goes, don't let him get you riled up. This is what he does. Constantly.

Rainbow in the dark has the room where you have to jump on the pedastals to cross over the spikes, and I'm terrified
    everytime I have to jump across. Getting stuck down there with no light source, looking for that ladder that's right
    in front of you, and one wrong move makes you go 'ding'. And, it's impossible to disarm.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Community Member

I'm rather fond of the double-trap in "The Chamber of Insanity," found behind the double-rune secret area. There are actually two traps guarding the trap. If you find the trap panels though, they're set up so one's right behind the other - so you only see one line indicating where the panel is. Unless you're aware of it, you think you've just disarmed the trap. The party greedily squeezes in for their loot, and WHAM!

Another instance that I'm fond of isn't a trap per se, but a hazard. In "And the Dead Shall Rise," opening a door has a gelatinous cube right on the other side. First time I ran it, one of my guild mates opened the door and ran straight into the cube - bloop! Dead.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123