The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default The Charlatan (Dex/Cha Based Thief-Acrobat)

So in another thread I was helping someone deciding whether to go Str or Dex based on a Rogue Staff build and somebody mentioned PDKs ability to add Cha Mod to Tactics DC now this doesn't really work for a Str Based build due to the requirement for Str to remain less than your Cha Mod but it dawned on me that a Dex based build who at most is going to have 13 Str (8 Str if not going PA) could easily get that bonus regardless of their Dex mod thus "The Charlatan" concept was born.

The "fluff" of this build is he's an EX-PDK turned circus performer who uses not only his agility but his Force of Personality to wow the audience and trick his enemies so I'd like to try to stick to that...despite being incredibly vague :P

Now at first I had 2 builds in mind either a Simple Rogue18/PDK2 which loses 1 DC and 1D6 SA in exchange for add Cha to Tactics DCs and access to Kensai tactics enhancement and 2 bonus feats OR Rogue 17/PDK1/Pally2 which gives up 2DC and 1d6 SA for the above (except only 1 extra feat) and Cha to Saves. Personally I prefer the latter and I doubt 1DC will make much of a difference so I'm going to roll with that one.

So now that I decided on the latter I still have 2 builds not sure which to go with...one dumps Str and has a few specialty feats and gets more skills the other gets 12 Str and goes the PA, Cleave, Great Cleave route.

Specialized Build

Code:
    Lawful Good Rogue16/PDK2/Pally2

Str 8
    Dex 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Con 12
    Int 14
    Wis 8
    Cha 14

Skills: UMD, Search, DD, OL, Spot,Hide, MS, Bluff, Balance, Tumble/Jump, Haggle

Level Order: Fighter1, Rogue2, Pally 3-4, Rogue 5-9, Fighter 10, Rogue 11-20 

Feats (No Particular Order)

Normal

PDK Force of Personality
    1 Improved Feint 
    2 Dodge
    3 Mobility
    4 Spring Attack
    5 Whirlwind
    6 SF:UMD
    7 ???

Fighter

1 CE
    2 IC: Bludgeon

Rogue

1 Improved Evasion
    2 Opportunist
    3 Slippery Mind

Epic

21 Improved Sneak Attack
    24 Bulwark of Defense
    26 Tactician
    27 Blinding Speed
    28 Elusive Target

PA/Cleave/GC Build

Code:

Str 12
    Dex 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Con 12
    Int 10
    Wis 8
    Cha 14

Skills: UMD, Search, DD, OL, Spot

Level Order: Fighter1, Rogue2, Pally 3-4, Rogue 5-9, Fighter 10, Rogue 11-20 

Feats (No Particular Order)

Normal

PDK Force of Personality
    1 Cleave
    2 Great Cleave
    3 Dodge
    4 IC: Bludgeon
    5 SF: UMD
    6 Toughness?
    7 ???

Fighter

1 Power Attack
    2 IC: Bludgeon

Rogue

1 Improved Evasion
    2 Opportunist
    3 Slippery Mind

Epic

21 Improved Sneak Attack
    24 Overwhelming Critical
    26 Tactician
    27 Blinding Speed
    28 Elusive Target
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Crazy 3rd build possibility (don't worry guys this part of a static group)

I lower my Con to 10 (*GASP*) so I can increase my Str to 10 and drop SF:UMD and Bulwark of Defense in favor of PA and Great Cleave and each build above had a ??? feat slot so cleave will go there and I get what I wanted with both builds at the cost of a +3 Str Tome that has been gathering dust in my Shared Bank (apparently I don't have any Str Based builds that have hit Lvl 11 yet)

Once Ron releases the next version of his builder I'll post what enhancements I plan to take and assuming Weapon Meditation isn't useless I ended up spending a grand total of 3 AP on PDK racial if WM is useless I'll drop that and spend more points on PDK stuff (fun fact Haste Boost for Kensai is tier 1 and costs 3 AP, Acrobats Haste Boost is Tier 2 and costs 6 AP)

Code:

Str 10 (+3 tome = 13) 
    Dex 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Con 10
    Int 14
    Wis 8
    Cha 14

Skills: UMD, Search, DD, OL, Spot,Hide, MS, Bluff, Balance, Tumble/Jump, Haggle

Level Order: Fighter1, Rogue2, Pally 3-4, Rogue 5-9, Fighter 12, Rogue 13 - 20

Feats 

PDK Force of Personality
    F1 Combat Expertise
    1 Dodge
    3 Improved Feint
    6 Mobility
    9 Spring Attack
    12 IC: Bludgeon
    F12 Power Attack
    R14 Improved Evasion
    15 Cleave
    R17 Opportunist
    18 Great Cleave
    R20 Slippery Mind
    ED Legendary Dreadnought (Twist Lithe and Technician from Shadowdancer)
    21 Whirlwind
    24 Improved Sneak Attack
    26 Tactician
    27 Blinding Speed
    28 Elusive Target
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-30-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

No one likes the circus anymore I guess :P

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The DC bonus from Cormyrean Knight Training only works with "shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords," according to the description. This makes it useless to a staff build. I don't know if that's enough to ruin the rest of your build, but...

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The DC bonus from Cormyrean Knight Training only works with "shortswords, longswords, bastard swords, and greatswords," according to the description. This makes it useless to a staff build. I don't know if that's enough to ruin the rest of your build, but...
    Well the build will still work but it kinda of kills the original concept...guess I'm LRing to an Acromonk or something.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 12-12-2013 at 06:31 PM.