Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Community Member CarpeNoctu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default Monk second life... Could use some help planning.

    I'm getting ready to TR my Monk and I'm going Monk again, but I'm having some trouble deciding what I want to do...

    After testing on Lamannia, I've been considering a high Wis AC build, but with recent changes I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking I'd still like to go that way, but I can't decide on race or if I should go pure (which I'd prefer, I think) or toss in 2 levels of Ranger so I can take Improved Weapon Finesse.

    At this point, I'm thinking either Halfling or Half-Elf, but I'm wide open for suggestions...

    I have all the gear I'll need, I'm up to 16 Tokens of the Twelve and I'm getting impatient lol.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Community Member TPICKRELL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctu View Post
    I'm getting ready to TR my Monk and I'm going Monk again, but I'm having some trouble deciding what I want to do...

    After testing on Lamannia, I've been considering a high Wis AC build, but with recent changes I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking I'd still like to go that way, but I can't decide on race or if I should go pure (which I'd prefer, I think) or toss in 2 levels of Ranger so I can take Improved Weapon Finesse.

    At this point, I'm thinking either Halfling or Half-Elf, but I'm wide open for suggestions...

    I have all the gear I'll need, I'm up to 16 Tokens of the Twelve and I'm getting impatient lol.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    You want to go WIS for the Quivering Palm DC. In today's DDO, the AC bump is a small side benefit, but QP and Stunning Fist DCs are the reason to go WIS.

    I'd avoid half elf now. The Dilettantes are too expensive now to level up to the highest tier, and many of them are worth much less if you don't can't level tier them all the way up.

    About any other race works. If you solo a lot, human healing amp is really nice. If not, halfling Sneak is really nice as is dwarven tactics... Monk works with any race, but depending on your play style and gear one might be slightly more effective.

  3. #3
    Community Member CarpeNoctu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    You want to go WIS for the Quivering Palm DC. In today's DDO, the AC bump is a small side benefit, but QP and Stunning Fist DCs are the reason to go WIS.

    I'd avoid half elf now. The Dilettantes are too expensive now to level up to the highest tier, and many of them are worth much less if you don't can't level tier them all the way up.

    About any other race works. If you solo a lot, human healing amp is really nice. If not, halfling Sneak is really nice as is dwarven tactics... Monk works with any race, but depending on your play style and gear one might be slightly more effective.
    I was just planning my 3rd life pure Fighter AA build for another character I'm nearly ready to TR and noticing the same thing concerning the expense of the Dil enhancements...

    I had considered human, but for some reason I have a problem playing humans in DDO... I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't feel right to me lol. Anyway, I hadn't considered Dwarf at all, and the Con boost would really come in handy... I'm going to have to look into that.

    Thanks for the helpful advice If you have any more for me, feel free to post it. I'm always looking for suggestions

    And, for you or anyone else... Any suggestions about taking 2 levels of Ranger for Improved Weapon Finesse, or should I just ignore it? I've run a Monk before that had Finesse and almost no Str (aside from items) and it did quite well. I'm just not sure if IWF is worth the tradeoff, considering the Monk Capstone.

  4. #4
    Community Member TPICKRELL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctu View Post
    ...
    And, for you or anyone else... Any suggestions about taking 2 levels of Ranger for Improved Weapon Finesse, or should I just ignore it? I've run a Monk before that had Finesse and almost no Str (aside from items) and it did quite well. I'm just not sure if IWF is worth the tradeoff, considering the Monk Capstone.
    On my WIS builds, the difference between Dex and Str tend to be small enough that I don't bother taking weapon finesse at all, let alone splashing Ranger to get improved weapon finesse. Also, did they ever fix Improved Weapon Finesse to work with handwraps? The wiki still lists it as bugged and not working with hand wraps: http://ddowiki.com/page/Deepwood_Stalker_enhancements
    Improved Weapon Finesse: You can use your Dexterity modifier for damage when wielding melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit. BUG: Does not work with Handwraps.

  5. #5
    Community Member CarpeNoctu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    On my WIS builds, the difference between Dex and Str tend to be small enough that I don't bother taking weapon finesse at all, let alone splashing Ranger to get improved weapon finesse. Also, did they ever fix Improved Weapon Finesse to work with handwraps? The wiki still lists it as bugged and not working with hand wraps: http://ddowiki.com/page/Deepwood_Stalker_enhancements
    Improved Weapon Finesse: You can use your Dexterity modifier for damage when wielding melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit. BUG: Does not work with Handwraps.
    Actually, no... I forgot that they hadn't fixed that yet. I just rebuilt a Shadar-Kai Monk/Ranger/Rogue and took the IWF and there's no difference, even though is Dex is 35.

    Initially, I was going to get Dex as high as I could while relying on the tomes I've already consumed (+4) and items for her Str. I've done that before and, while it could take a while longer, it was very effective. But, that was before all the changes and that monk had wicked AC. Part of my problem is, I play according to experience as I don't 'get' the numbers nearly as well as many others, so the AC calculations are a bit beyond me, though I'm still looking forward to the higher DCs, as well as Vorpal Strikes (which was lots of fun on Lamannia).

    So, the only thing to do now is figure out which race I want... Thanks to Ron and the rest, I have the new Character Planner so I can see what I might be able to do from there...

    Thanks again for all the advice

  6. #6
    Community Member TPICKRELL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctu View Post
    Actually, no... I forgot that they hadn't fixed that yet. I just rebuilt a Shadar-Kai Monk/Ranger/Rogue and took the IWF and there's no difference, even though is Dex is 35.

    Initially, I was going to get Dex as high as I could while relying on the tomes I've already consumed (+4) and items for her Str. I've done that before and, while it could take a while longer, it was very effective. But, that was before all the changes and that monk had wicked AC. Part of my problem is, I play according to experience as I don't 'get' the numbers nearly as well as many others, so the AC calculations are a bit beyond me, though I'm still looking forward to the higher DCs, as well as Vorpal Strikes (which was lots of fun on Lamannia).

    So, the only thing to do now is figure out which race I want... Thanks to Ron and the rest, I have the new Character Planner so I can see what I might be able to do from there...

    Thanks again for all the advice
    I still have a DEX/AC build that I havent gotten around to LRing (I dread setting all his bars back up). And he is definitely less effective than he was pre-Update 19, whereas the ones that I have converted to WIS based are more effective. To Hit is no longer much of a problem, especially when you can add a Deadly n/Accuracy n item to kick in a lot of damage and make up for any to hit issues you might be having.

    On a monk, WIS goes to AC, so moving points from DEX to WIS has little or no impact on AC.

    Since the AC/TO HIT rewrite... AC is much less effective in the harder content when compared to Dodge, Blur, Incorporality and PRR. AC still helps in easier content (where you don't really need the help). Monks can reach moderate AC without investing, so I tend to take whatever AC comes for free with the gear set I want and invest in Dodge, Incorp, Blur and PRR. I used to have a high AC monk but there is very little advantage in trying to get beyond a moderate AC and monks hit moderate AC very easily.

  7. #7
    Community Member Arnhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO, USA
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    I went with Elf my 2nd Monk life, because... well... because I wanted to!
    There is no free lunch.

  8. #8

    Default

    I couldn't find what class tree you're leaning towards: Mystic, Shintao or Ninja Spy, so here's my two cents.

    Remember that only Humans and Half-Elves get racial Improved Recovery to help with healing. If you go down a non-Shintao path, you'll get no healing amplification options, save adding skill points into Heal, a new change for 1% positive energy spellpower per point (a cross-class skill) and gear, of course.

    I've steered clear of Weapon Finesse but with U19, it deserves a fresh look. WIS is still king, but high DEX means higher Reflex saves to help your defense. STR is still quite important to determine damage without Finesse, and I've gotten more mileage without Finesse for this reason.

    A dark Monk still should consider the Cleric dilly. Even only taking the first level of this is helpful. I enjoyed maxing this out for Heal scrolls and things I'd otherwise do as a Light Monk (including Raise Dead, which my Dark Monk can now do but my Light Monks can't with U19's change of Rise of the Phoenix--go figure).
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

  9. #9
    Community Member TPICKRELL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    I couldn't find what class tree you're leaning towards: Mystic, Shintao or Ninja Spy, so here's my two cents.
    ...
    If you are going Handwraps fighter, then I'd recommend taking stuff from all the trees.

    All my non-Henshin monks have ended up taking enough from Shintao to get to Kukan-do, Enough from Ninja to get No Mercy and at least the animal path in Henshin (its a bargain now that it auto levels up and you don't need to spend more points on it). Kukan-do is expensive to get to, but I think its one of the best monk features and its at the same tier as Empty Hand Mastery and Meditation of War which are both nice.

    Ki Regen from the Henshin Contemplation Tier III is also nice, but I'm really short on points after I get the things listed above.

  10. #10
    The Hatchery Nédime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Maybe take 3 rogue level to allow you add your dex modifier to dmg ? Or is it broken too on handwraps ?
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules


    “It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload