Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Otto's XP stones and their ongoing saga:

Dear Turbine.

Please work out how you want the stones of experience (level 16) from the Otto's box to work once and for all. Once you do so, could you please make a stance publicly as to their intended function and then stick to it?

When Otto's boxes were first released, the Otto's stones were mailable, but only usable by the person who opened the box, although the stone could be placed in a hotbar and used on a targeted party member.

This functionality changed with the release of u19 (Shadowfell expansion). Apparently according to Cordovan, stones were meant to become usable by whomever had the stone

Sadly this has never worked.

Fortunately GM's have been most helpful up until now. They have been deleting stones and then re-spawning a new working one in the target players inventory.
    Sadly this assistance has come to an end.

The GM's stance is both understandable and confusing at the same time, As the current Otto's box in the DDO store still says the following (at the bottom)

Backing that up, the stones are currently unbound.

This inconstancy & confusion is what brings me to my requests.

During your deliberations, please consider these are items we've paid real money for. Please restore Otto's stones to their original functionality, where we could place the stone in a hotbar, then use it on a targeted party member.

After all QuartermasterX did say this.

Whatever decision you do make though, could you please announce it publicly?

the changes have been posted publicly on the forums... as with anything else on the forums good luck finding it

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    the changes have been posted publicly on the forums... as with anything else on the forums good luck finding it
    I've been following things very closely.

As it stands, I'm fairly sure there's no official confirmation that we shouldn't be able to open a box, then use our own xp stone on someone else.

I'm really hopeful that this current situation is a bug or misunderstanding by the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    I've been following things very closely.

As it stands, I'm fairly sure there's no official confirmation that we shouldn't be able to open a box, then use our own xp stone on someone else.

I'm really hopeful that this current situation is a bug or misunderstanding by the GM.
    I read the dev tracker daily to keep current. I am positive I read about the stones only being useable by the opener of the box

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    I read the dev tracker daily to keep current. I am positive I read about the stones only being useable by the opener of the box
    I do too.

I've even got a pic from cordovan where he specifically edited his pic to state that stones should be usable by the person with them in their inventory.

There's nothing more recent than that.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    I do too.

I've even got a pic from cordovan where he specifically edited his pic to state that stones should be usable by the person with them in their inventory.

There's nothing more recent than that.
    definitely read about it no longer working however, search is fail. I might try to page thru the dev tracer later but, for now I'm logging in.

You probably came across my last thread on this issue. here

I would have left it, as I can tolerate waiting on GM's. With that no longer being an option, I'm not thrilled about the retroactive changes.

I buy and open boxes myself cause I want all the xp pots / sp pots / astral shards for my epic characters.
    I used to stone my TR buddies freely and we'd use 50% pots in heroic.

Now I'm being told that this is no longer possible, even with GM intervention.

Unacceptable.

They should just make an official statement: you can use these stones for 3 more months with unintended xp bonusses and on others. After that, they work only on yourself and they take you to level 16. Then people still have time to adapt to the changes, and in the end the mechanic becomes how it was intended to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    They should just make an official statement: you can use these stones for 3 more months with unintended xp bonusses and on others. After that, they work only on yourself and they take you to level 16. Then people still have time to adapt to the changes, and in the end the mechanic becomes how it was intended to be.
    no need for all that the stones sell as well as they do because the work with bonus Turbine knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    They already attempted that with Bigby's. It was an unmitigated disaster.

Question... Can u use one of these stones 1/life or is it 1/toon?

Quote Originally Posted by Taninn View Post
    Question... Can u use one of these stones 1/life or is it 1/toon?
    Once a life.
    Deedeeo- 18th life Completionist (12monk/6Ranger/2Artificer) ~ Sonos- 3rd life Artificer (sorc, bard PLs) ~ Tronsector- 3rd Life Wizard
    Flavored Soul- 2nd life Sorc(FVS PL). (and umpteen bank toons and experiments) Member of Synergia(lvl100)-Argonessen

Looks like instead of fixing the issue, they just changed the description.

Typical Turbine Behaviour.

With the release of Update 19 Patch 3, we have clarified the description of the Otto's Box and Stone of Experience to match the actual in-game experience. The Otto's Box now explicitly states in it's hover-over tool tip that the item is tradable, and the tool tip for the Stone of Experience now states that it can only be used by the player who opened the Otto's Box.

In other words: If you want someone else to have the Stone of Experience, you need to trade them the entire unopened Otto's Box.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Looks like instead of fixing the issue, they just changed the description.

Typical Turbine Behaviour.
    Or perhaps splitting up the XP stone and the rest of the goodies was NOT WAI in the past?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

What a convoluted mess. Its unreasonable to expect anyone using these to understand how they REALLY work at this point, which is unfortunate, because people pay real money for them. This is what happens when the focus of revenue generation get put on these types of items. They still bring in the money even when the "fix" boils down to altering the description to match the previously unintended behavior, because its the path of least resistance to making the item WAI. This has been done now three times with ottos boxes, with a pseudo fourth time being bigbys box which everyone first assumed would work like ottos (which it did not).
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    With the release of Update 19 Patch 3, we have clarified the description of the Otto's Box and Stone of Experience to match the actual in-game experience, which is vastly different from the way the stones worked when the boxes were previously released. The Otto's Box now explicitly states in it's hover-over tool tip that the item is tradable, and the tool tip for the Stone of Experience now states that it can only be used by the player who opened the Otto's Box.

In other words: If you want someone else to have the Stone of Experience, you need to trade them the entire unopened Otto's Box.

Fixed your post in bold red for you.

You changed the functionality without telling anybody, then you changed the description to match the stealthily changed functionality. That's bad business.

Also this directly goes against what you said in a previous post you made, which the OP has helpfully taken a screenshot of and attached to this thread. I imagine he took a screenshot and didn't simply link to the post because I'm sure by now you've changed/deleted it.

GG Cordo.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Or perhaps splitting up the XP stone and the rest of the goodies was NOT WAI in the past?
    Exhibit A

Do you see there at the end where it says "So, keep the stone for yourself, or SEND IT TO A FRIEND" (emphasis mine)
    Do you see there in the edit where it says "clarity that the stone can be sent individually without having to send the entire box"
    Last edited by rest; 10-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    GG Cordo.
    The complaint is valid, but I seriously doubt Cordovan had anything to do with that decision. Messenger-shooting is uncool, and only discourages Turbine from communicating with us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast