Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    soooo....

there are not enough people playing EH so people laying EH quit...

and there isnt enough people playing EE.. So EE people are quitting...

Seems to me it would make more sense to get rid of EE.

And here is my reasoning....

People who play EE can most certainly handle EH.

People who play EH cannot necessarily handle EE. (although many can, but choose not to because its simply not a real challenge to drink a bunch of mnemomic pots and beat trash mobs with 10k hit points down.
    With reasoning like this we should turn everything into heroic casual, because everybody can beat heroic casual...

The difficulties are there to give players options and to keep the game interesting. Epic casual and epic normal are no option at the moment, since epic hard is easy enough for most of the players while giving more xp and better loot. I estimate that epic casual is completable by almost 100% of players, epic normal by 95%, epic hard by 90% and then epic elite by 20%. Obviously, the jumps from casual to hard are way too small; which is why you can cater to fewer players than in a well designed system.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    This is no troll. Epic Hard adds nothing to DDO and in fact hurts DDO. DDO would be better without Epic Hard.
    Clearly nonsense.

You do EH to maintain your hard streak for TRing and for most people I quest with it's the "standard" difficulty. When you get a good group together you do EE maybe for some XP, but mostly for favour and fun - and now of course for saga's. You do EN when you just want a quick run through and it along with EC are there as an easier entry level pass through a quest.

You think we will save DDO by removing options that suit different types of player?

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    ...because noone joins EE PUGs because EH offers more than 3 times the character advancement per minute...
    Come visit us on Ghallanda. No problem filling EE pugs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Clearly nonsense.

You do EH to maintain your hard streak for TRing and for most people I quest with it's the "standard" difficulty. When you get a good group together you do EE maybe for some XP, but mostly for favour and fun - and now of course for saga's. You do EN when you just want a quick run through and it along with EC are there as an easier entry level pass through a quest.

You think we will save DDO by removing options that suit different types of player?
    Little variety in difficulty does not suit different types of players optimally...

when did ddo become a game full of childish players with the attitue "play as i want" ??

every time i join the forum i'm more surprised lol

1st your loot is my loot
    2nd play your toon as i want (i.e. go pure, be a healer, etc etc)
    3rd do in quests what i want (use that, don't use it, etc)

and now... don't play a difficulty i don't want because...i capped my ed? ROflmao

yup, ddo is sinking, at least community is
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

/not signed

Another example of the same person trying to ruin the game for casual players.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

You work really hard in forming EE groups, have you ever tried soloing EH? Or is group play more what you enjoy?

This thread is very strange and i am trying to find where your actual problem is coming from. Maybe it is becoz u dont have enough ppl to group with? And u think that if there were no EH, then you wouldn't have to wait so long for your EE lfm's. And removing EH's was your epiphany. I am trying to look deeper than just tossing it off as "Yet another thread where OP tries to subtly brag how uber he thinks he is".. "Heroics are a joke.." "Now EH is a joke. Remove it"..

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    With reasoning like this we should turn everything into heroic casual, because everybody can beat heroic casual...

The difficulties are there to give players options and to keep the game interesting. Epic casual and epic normal are no option at the moment, since epic hard is easy enough for most of the players while giving more xp and better loot. I estimate that epic casual is completable by almost 100% of players, epic normal by 95%, epic hard by 90% and then epic elite by 20%. Obviously, the jumps from casual to hard are way too small; which is why you can cater to fewer players than in a well designed system.
    EH is completeable by 100% of people, they just need to join a PUG. The difficulty is easy enough that most PUGs can carry three to four non-contributing players.

I'd say about 95% of players can usefully contribute to an EH run of a quest. The only times you get failures are when you have four or so of that awful 5%.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

I recently TRed my Main char again (24 lifes,good Gear) and did all available Epics after update 19
    Epic-Hard
    solo (no hireling)
    Melee Char with self-healing
    from level 20 (Phiarlan Carneval) to level 22 (Sands and Underdark)

What i noticed was the very very high difficulty difference of the chains i did. Sometimes even big differences in quests of the same chain.

Chains like phiarlan carneval and Sentinels were pretty easy with trash mobs in the 2K Hp range and orange named mobs with about 8k HP

The Lord of dust chain was compared to that pretty hard. While the cultists only had 900 HP the oranged named mobs had 30K hp or even 40K hp.
    The Jarilith did 60-70 Damage per hit which is more than trash mobs did in the old level 20 Epic quests.
    The Drow-Boss was a monster. I can surely say that most unexperienced players would die here solo.

The End fight in Servants of the overlord with 2 red named bosses was challenging for a solo melee character...the hezrou dealing damage in the 50-100range per hit and both bosses having 30-40K HP

Spinner of Shadows on Epic-Hard was always challenging even before Update 19.

Beyond the Rift and the First Eveningstar chain were easy again most of the time with the only harder fights being the bebelith at the end of the chain.
    But all quests nothing compared to the Lord of Dust chain.

Then i entered VON1....pretty sure the quest is buggy...first thing i noticed were the trolls at the shrine room. They double spawned and the first group opened the shrine door..and when the second group died the door closed again.
    The Arena was brutal.....double or even triple spawns with red dungeon alert
    While i'm sure its buggy..it was very very challenging this way-to anyone who wants a challenge go try it

The other VONs were compareable to the eveningstar chain easy to solo.

Devil assault on Epic-Hard remains pretty challenging for a solo-melee...the big groups of fast and hard hitting barbazus are the most dangerous thread here. Turigolon compared to bosses of other epic hard quests is also much more durable and hard hitting.

Why i am writing all this?

I just wanted to point out that not all epic-hard quests are easy and that the big differences in monster stats is very inconsistent and leads to the conclusion that the devs are not doing a good job when designing the difficulties of each quest.
    The level of a quest seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the difficulty of a quest...which seems weird if i think about it.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    EH is completeable by 100% of people, they just need to join a PUG. The difficulty is easy enough that most PUGs can carry three to four non-contributing players.

I'd say about 95% of players can usefully contribute to an EH run of a quest. The only times you get failures are when you have four or so of that awful 5%.
    I was just trying to show that the difficulty levels do not cater well to each type of player. If the completion rate on EH is 100% too, this is an extra reason to change something, because it makes epic casual and normal completely unneeded. This is of course a pretty poor situation, since you cater to less people than you could in potential. I don't think that people are essentially against spreading out the difficulties more progressively and evenly. The main thing that holds them back is the loss of bravery bonus. It's a shame that you let this stand in the way of designing a good game, though.

If it were up to me, I'd remove bravery bonus completely and increase XP by 10% all around the board. This would provide space to improve the difficulty settings without hurting people too much.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    /not signed

Another example of the same person trying to ruin the game for casual players.
    Yeah, no kidding. This thread boils down to "remove this option that most people prefer because I don't like it". His previous one was "remove epic TR before we even see what it is because I don't like it".

Maybe in his next thread he'll start specifying particular classes, races and quest chains that should be removed because he doesn't like them. After all, less variety and fewer choices always improve online games, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    After all, less variety and fewer choices always improve online games, right?
    What variety? There is no choice at all, removing either epic normal or epic hard doesn't change a thing.

Really dumb, useless troll thread thats now four pages long because ppl love to line up for the chance to say how awesome they are, and how easy they find EE. Congratulations..

Community Member

What variety? There is no choice at all, removing either epic normal or epic hard doesn't change a thing.
    Not true, as many have said already.

If EN and EH are too close, then spread them out more. Removing options accomplishes nothing. Less than nothing, actually.

Not true, as many have said already.

If EN and EH are too close, then spread them out more. Removing options accomplishes nothing. Less than nothing, actually.
    You'd probably have more tears from people failing epic hard if it was moved to being you know hard, than if you removed it sadly.

This is correct for the overly geared vet. This is not correct for the under geared newbie.

Im still not sure why people continue to thread up about this symptom of the REAL ISSUE but still do not recognize the REAL ISSUE.

Elite was balanced for full synergizing destiny while normal and hard was balanced for non synergizing off destiny, or no destiny. The power gap between having and not having a destiny is a pretty clear explanation for why there is a larger difficulty gap between hard and elite.

The answer isn't making it harder for people in non synergizing destinies to get XP. The answer is allowing us to play in a synergizing destiny and gain so we enjoy playing at higher level.
    Last edited by Chai; 09-30-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You'd probably have more tears from people failing epic hard if it was moved to being you know hard, than if you removed it sadly.
    I would love eHard to be harder. My joy would absorb any amount of tears from people who were upset.

E-peen aside, I'm not the best player. Not even close. I can't solo EE blindfolded, and scraping through the easier EE's is all I can get atm. (Wraith monk has only gotten Snitch+Von I atm.) eHard being a small step down from EE would be great for people like me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    So what?

Simply explain that the bottom three difficulty levels were too close to each other so they've been spread out more. Maybe increase the first-time bonus for EH to 60% and make EN 40% so the XP/minute obsessives don't whine about that. Otherwise, it just a matter of adjustment.

Of course, most people would actually rather see EEs made easier, because most people don't actually want a challenge.

So what?

Simply explain that the bottom three difficulty levels were too close to each other so they've been spread out more. Maybe increase the first-time bonus for EH to 60% and make EN 40% so the XP/minute obsessives don't whine about that. Otherwise, it just a matter of adjustment.

Of course, most people would actually rather see EEs made easier, because most people don't actually want a challenge.
    Just a statement of odd fact, I actually don't care because I don't think that any difficulty adjustment will fix things for ddo, there are so many problems I just don't see the game being around all that much longer unfortunately. The expansions have really screwed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Exactly you do not run epic normal. People do not run epic normal. Let's make epic normal more appealing. The same with epic elite difficulty. DDO really only needs two epic difficulties.
    Eliminate flexibility in DDO?

No thanks.

Next silly rant, please.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast