Default 8 FTR/6 MNK: 6 PAL vs 6 FVS?

I recently tried Barbarian for the first time, but was appalled by the lack of survivability. Not that any healer actually said something, but feeling guilty towards the healer doesn't make for a fun experience for me, no matter how good the damage is. But thats why Turbine gave us TR.

Anyways, I'd still like to play in Fury and use THF and Manyshot, but I keep thinking that there's really no alternative to 8 FTR and 6 MNK in Earth stance to make up for the lost crit profile of Focused Wrath/Critical Rage and Death Frenzy, so that's my baseline.

But what to do about the last 6 levels?

I'll likely go either 6 Paladin or 6 FvS Warpriest for Divine Might and smites. There are merits to both.

Paladin: much better saves, BAB, Heal amp, big - but few - smites that work well with Adrenaline, but Divine Might is fueled by turns and will require a twist for turn regen. No innate Magical Training. Lawful good alignment.

FvS: Divine Might fueled by SP, smites are much smaller but add vulnerability, will have level 3 spells and a workable SP pool, requires much less AP investment in FvS tree allowing, for example, lesser StD stance.

So, basically, the Paladin version gets Adrenaline smites, neat saving throws and endless Divine Might (whereas the FvS's Might will compete with Cocoon and other spells and won't be usable at all once you go into Echoes), while the FvS version gets, among other things, DR 5/-, 6% Dodge and 35 PRR.

Keeping in mind this is basically a more survivable Barbarian (through Evasion, Shadow Fade and Cocoon), I favor the Paladin version for better burst, but it's a really tough call for me, and I can't make up my mind. Any ideas?

Just for reference, here's my Paladin version (edited forum version):

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Female
    (8 Fighter \ 6 Paladin \ 6 Monk) 
    Hit Points: 358
    Spell Points: 110 
    BAB: 18\18\23\28\28
    Fortitude: 26
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 16

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (34 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    30
    Dexterity            14                    18
    Constitution         16                    20
    Intelligence          8                    12
    Wisdom               10                    14
    Charisma             14                    18

Tomes Used
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack

Level 2 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Handed Fighting

Level 3 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 4 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Rapid Shot

Level 5 (Fighter)

Level 6 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 7 (Fighter)

Level 8 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 9 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 11 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light

Level 12 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Zen Archery

Level 15 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Silver Flame
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)
    Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Ninja Training (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Shadow Veil (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Sneak Attack Training (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Acrobatic (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Fists of Iron (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Focus: Axes (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Extra Action Boost (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Haste Boost (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Weapon Meditation (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Agility (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Shattering Strike (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Strength (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Kensei Weapon Specialization: Axes (Rank 4)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Keen Edge (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - One With The Blade (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Kensei (Ftr) - Deadly Strike (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Hunter of the Dead I (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Turning (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Smite (Rank 4)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Sacrifice (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Vigor of Life (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Strength (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Shintao (Mnk) - Bastion of Purity (Rank 1)
    Human bonus feat is Magical Training, and level 18 feat is Master of Forms, neither of which is selectable in the current builder version. No Bow Strength, but as you can see I'm taking Ninja II, so as long as that is bugged, I don't have to worry about it.

EDIT: I supose there's not much reason to go 8 FTR/6 MNK/6 PAL over 10 FTR/6 MNK/4 PAL and get an extra feat, but I like the 8/6/6 level spread.
    Last edited by giftie; 09-29-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by giftie View Post
    (whereas the FvS's Might will compete with Cocoon and other spells and won't be usable at all once you go into Echoes)
    If you're willing to Twist Endless Turning into the pally version, you ought to be willing to Twist Endless Faith into the FvS version; that bumps your Echoes up to 30 SPs, which is more than enough to keep Divine Might & Rejuv Cocoon running indefinitely.
    EDIT: I supose there's not much reason to go 8 FTR/6 MNK/6 PAL over 10 FTR/6 MNK/4 PAL and get an extra feat, but I like the 8/6/6 level spread.
    Lvl 6 pal would get you Unyielding Sovereignty; a free full Heal every 10 mins. seems more useful than +1 feat.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    If you're willing to Twist Endless Turning into the pally version, you ought to be willing to Twist Endless Faith into the FvS version; that bumps your Echoes up to 30 SPs, which is more than enough to keep Divine Might & Rejuv Cocoon running indefinitely.

Lvl 6 pal would get you Unyielding Sovereignty; a free full Heal every 10 mins. seems more useful than +1 feat.
    ^This

You could also consider 12/6/2, and instead of twisting endless turns, which you should need since DM is 2min/turn which should be more than adequate between shrines, twist in Bane of undeath (grants turning) to qualify for DM. This method gets you power surge + DM, which could be around +20ish STR. Of course you lose US then, but with 20ish minutes of +20 str tactics should be outstanding. Or you could do 12ftr/6pal/2monk and lose shadow veil.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post

I knew there was something like that for SPs, just figured it was an enhancement in the tree not taken rather than an ED ability. Not sure I will be twisting anything yet, depends on how many turns I end up with.

US is good, but I'd need to build for Bow Strength at some point and not keen on spending more than 1 epic feat on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    ^This

You could also consider 12/6/2, and instead of twisting endless turns, which you should need since DM is 2min/turn which should be more than adequate between shrines, twist in Bane of undeath (grants turning) to qualify for DM. This method gets you power surge + DM, which could be around +20ish STR. Of course you lose US then, but with 20ish minutes of +20 str tactics should be outstanding. Or you could do 12ftr/6pal/2monk and lose shadow veil.
    Wait, how do you figure 20 minutes? I get 8 action boosts in Fury without twisting the LD bonus, and I guess Power Surge shares a pool with class boosts?

+8 STR for 60 seconds is less damage than 30% haste for 20 seconds.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by giftie View Post
    I knew there was something like that for SPs, just figured it was an enhancement in the tree not taken rather than an ED ability. Not sure I will be twisting anything yet, depends on how many turns I end up with.

US is good, but I'd need to build for Bow Strength at some point and not keen on spending more than 1 epic feat on it.

Wait, how do you figure 20 minutes? I get 8 action boosts in Fury without twisting the LD bonus, and I guess Power Surge shares a pool with class boosts?

+8 STR for 60 seconds is less damage than 30% haste for 20 seconds.
    Typo, meant 10ish (though you get 20+ minutes of DM). 10 is possible with just a bit of effort. You can get extra action boosts from LD, from Kensei, and from the Kensei necklace from from TOD. You can get like 16 if you want, but not worth the effort IMO.

Power surge is on it's own timer which is 1 min (same as duration) so it can be kept running continuously, and stacks with haste boost =)

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Power surge is on it's own timer which is 1 min (same as duration) so it can be kept running continuously, and stacks with haste boost =)
    Thanks, good to know! But no Exalted Smites or Empower Healing, so kind of a deal breaker for Pally as far as I'm concerned. Definitely an option for FvS version though.