Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 228
  1. #181
    Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    yeah, despite what Ashlayna had to say on it... in the many months i played GW2... if you spotted someone botting or exploiting and you reported it, you didn't see them "the next day". same went for gold spammers.

    the official home of LOLWUT

    LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

  2. #182
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    We're talking about NCSoft here, right?
    Actually, Arenanet (normally called Anet) made and maintains GWII, the Guild Wars series is pretty much their only product.

    While NCsoft is their parent company, like WB owns Turbine, the decisions of WB are not the Decisions of Turbine, and vice-versa, same holds true for AreanNet and NCSoft, also the Devs do talk with the players on the GWII forums.

  3. #183
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    This is a classic mistruth spread by haters.

    What so few like to talk about because it really makes Turbine look bad, is that yes indeed there was a case of a major exploit being abused during the first days of GW2 going live. And then the company, is classic 0 tolerance fashion, mass perma banned hundreds of thousands of accounts to make a very solid point to all others, that abuse and exploiting in their game would not go unpunished.

    No one who cares about their account dares to try anything like that on either GW game. Their company actually cares about the playerbase all being on fair footing, and crushed any thought of such behavior with a wrath the divine could learn from.

    So for those still left here on DDO who do care one way or another about exploiting, and want to be on a game where its not done lightly and openly, then there you go, GW 2 is waiting. and GW1 is worth checking out to if you enjoy serious story.
    It was more like 4k people.

    While I do like a game that bans exploiters and communicates what is and is not an exploit, the hyperbole on both sides of the discussion on their boards is hilarious.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  4. #184
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,276

    Default

    I apologize in advance, both for the following and in case it's been used before, but yes, DDO is losing steam - the sucker's gone nuclear
    It's definitely an N-word.

  5. #185
    Community Member Bloodstealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Well I have been with GW2 and DDO form Beta's and I gotta say GW2 content doesn't have anywhere near the replay value of DDO, and ANET know it... that's why they are oinning hopes on their Living Story stuff keeping players logging into game.OP you think DDO is a grind... GW2 is all about the grind, except the grind is for cosmetic stuff not stats... many of us are growing tired of grinding crafting mats to be able to twink that next skin or grinding the daily/monthly for laurels to grab an ascended item to get around crafting it.WvW is / was great fun but performance issues have dogged it forever and truly decent 3 -way action ends up being a slide show most nights.Lastly GGW2 although a decent game has some real issues with balance and seemingly no understanding of how to address it... and tbh communication or lack of from the devs suggests they prefer to stick fingers in their ears and blindfolds over their eyes and hope all the criticism goes away by Monday morning.On a plus GW2 does have some good ideas, some DDO could definitely utilise to make things a little more out there with more modern MMO's... but tbh its combat system, its build diversity, its mechancis are still 2nd to none imo... it just lacks decent story depth (errmmm was there any depth to DDO story )As for exploiters in GW2.. its been rife since day 1 and still is tbh.. sure a few have been caught but in 15mins they have a new account and are back in business... go try a WvW map and see how many speed hackers, gate exploiters and the funniest one of all the dive bomber who speed hacks across the sky and drops inside ya keep to cause mayhem.Bugs.. GW2 has plenty and are not all that great at doing anything about them unless it is fore fighting the two wekly patch...then again every MMO has bugs, show me one that doesn't.. heck DDO still has ladder bugs and that's been here 7-8 yrs All in all MMO's are only as good as you want to keep playing them.. take a break and then come back.. I just did and its all fun again.. what the future holds, who knows but I see DDO content outlasting GW2 hands down in my opinion even though I still enjoy it for a n hour or two each day ( sometimes)

    Proud Leader of the Misfits & Mercenaries Guild on Ghallanda, Thelanis & Orien.
    Veteran DDO:EU BETA player - The original Misift, long since Chaos hardened - Now busy burning a new path to glory over on the flipside!

  6. #186

    Default DDO tends to have its cycles like all other games

    There is no doubt that the population of DDO has fluctuated quite widely over the years and this particular instance isn't anything new. DDO has survived many population declines in the player base over the years of its inception, with the biggest occurrence happening just before the game went to free-to-play, when the player base dropped substantially and we didn't really know what was happening with this great game.

    However, the game survived and started a new business model used by a whole host of MMOs now. I have seen a number of good players leave the game, mainly those members of my guild, who primarily left the game because of personnel issues as opposed to gaming issues. I do my best to stay in touch with those players and to let them know the changes that have occurred in DDO in hopes to draw them back when the activities in their real lives allow them to game again.

    One thing I also learned early on when playing DDO, is that it is what you make of it. If you blast through the content at breakneck speed, max out every character class available, play each race, and gather all the top notch gear in record time then there is no doubt you will eventually get bored. I have never considered myself to be a power player at all, I barely raid, but I see how this is the primary focus of a large group of the player base. However, another large base of the player base doesn't play with that aspect (such as me). I like to expand on the content in my own ways, trying to figure out and define the quest storylines through character journals, trying to determine links between groups of monsters, etc. This keeps my interest in the game, even if I'm running the same old quests once again.

    Luckily for me, the amount of content (in terms of new quests) has been just about good for me. Heck, I still haven't done all of the quests from Menace of the Underdark yet. But that's me and I know Turbine has to "balance" game for its wide diversity in the playerbase. With that said, I agree with a large portion of players who felt that the Shadowfell Conspiracy was light on the content in provided, especially compared to Menace of the Underdark, and I hope Turbine learns from that experience and produces more solid quests instead of "downgrading" originally released epic content to heroic and "upgrading" heroic quests to epic levels. Having more unique quests will satisfy a large portion of the playerbase as will the development of new races and classes (the Iconic I don't really consider new classes).

  7. #187
    Community Member Ausdoerrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    Hey all,just wanted to see if im the only one feeling this way. I think DDO is on the way out,i find myself more an more logging in looking at whos on in my guild,checking my auctions and checking the channel chatter for a min then looking at the lfm and then logging off. i just cant justify the grind anymore. i tire of doing the same quests for the billionth time,and running thru them with a tr'd slightly more powerful character or even an all new build just isnt doing it any more. the game is just a boring grind fest for me now,that just mainly serves as a place to chat with my friends and guildies while we mindlessly go thru the motions of completing a quest weve all done a zillion times. that one saving grace of community is just not worth it any more.

    With new things like the elder scrolls online coming up,and games like final fantasy 14 promising new content every 3 monthes and guild wars 2 offering new content EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR FREE!(with only your monthly sub fee which is comparable to turbines VIP fee,which i pay)turbine just cant keep up. i think ddo just doesnt have the WOW type crowd thats going to keep it going forever,id really like to see it put down for good,and maybe turbine begin work on a modernization of the concept,because i love D&D and thats really the only people that are left it seems,the hardcore D&D crowd,and rightfully so as it is the best digital option for such fans(neverwinter... eww...),iv seen many new players come,hit cap a month or so later and then go because of a loss of interest or no desire to play through the quest lines again ,new players have been fleeting at best.

    I dont want to be that guy,but im being that guy,lol. i just dont care for it anymore,its too old,too grindy,and the community is shrinking and shrinking,smaller and smaller into these tight knit groups of vets who are completely removed from new players(by choice) through user channels and guilds,every one exists in their own little bubbles.so new players come in and dont know that,and are all like "? where all the lfms? does no one play this game? im out".

    -cue the "bye-bye,go ahead and leave" replys,lol. just wanted to vent my frustration about something iv loved for years now,and express some probobly departing words.

    Just a suggestion - perhaps it's you, not the game, who is losing steam. Tired of logging on with nothing fun (for you) to do? Take a few months off, maybe even delete the game, try playing something else, read a book, learn an instrument, whatever. Anything can get old if you get too much of it regularly.

  8. #188
    Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Al-Qadim
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    -cue the "bye-bye,go ahead and leave" replys,lol. just wanted to vent my frustration about something iv loved for years now,and express some probobly departing words.
    If on Ghallanda, can I have your stuff?

    :P
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

    GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

  9. #189
    Community Member TBot1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    While I do like a game that bans exploiters and communicates what is and is not an exploit
    Agreed.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

  10. #190
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the right spot at the right time.
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    There is a lot of fun content in this game still. It is just gimped now by all the gear changes and methods turbine used to get new players to buy their epic content. Well what is done is done. How about some raids being converted to lvl 25+ with some nice named gear. The power creep is there, but not the associated increase in content for it. I want a reason to run shroud and TOD again. Sure the gear is gimp now. Just change that, so those that do it for fun will join and those that do it for gear too. What about Tempist Spine? A fun raid. How about lvl 25 epic for that? Maybe a chance to pull +5 tomes. With the lastest gear changes and power creep even the epic content needs work.

    It will be almost a year for any new content, so breathe some life into some old content.

    They tried to get you to run content you do not want to with perminent ransacks and it back fired. At least they changed that.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 10-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

  11. #191
    Community Member Tecc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Thelanis, Eberron
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Sorry but that Graph means nothing!
    Well at least now we can stop living the lie. Dammed actual login data, I should have known! Looking forward to your facts.
    The All-Knowing Oracle of www.ddoracle.com

  12. #192
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecc View Post
    Well at least now we can stop living the lie. Dammed actual login data, I should have known! Looking forward to your facts.
    I take it you are the maker of the oracle?

    Yeah it's login data, but because it's logins and not accounts active or some other such thing there are multiple ways to interpret all the information on the site. It's not that the data is meaningless or a lie but because it requires interpretation it means that two people can use the data to support opposite claims. It's the same thing that happens in politics with poll data. I hope that makes sense.

  13. #193
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I take it you are the maker of the oracle?

    Yeah it's login data, but because it's logins and not accounts active or some other such thing there are multiple ways to interpret all the information on the site. It's not that the data is meaningless or a lie but because it requires interpretation it means that two people can use the data to support opposite claims. It's the same thing that happens in politics with poll data. I hope that makes sense.
    This is not true at all, it is a wonderful lie people chant, some even Quote famous people who did not like Statistics.

    The truth is, in the end, the numbers don't lie, the data is sound, and the info is correct. Thus the information is not what should be questioned or sought to be discredited, after all, the entire concept of education is about making people informed, so that we do not continue in our ignorance. This the info provided is something we should be thankful for.

    There is no greater prison you can submit your mind to then when you prefer ignorance over information.
    Last edited by Ungood; 10-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.

  14. #194
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodstealer View Post
    As for exploiters in GW2.. its been rife since day 1 and still is tbh.. sure a few have been caught but in 15mins they have a new account and are back in business
    ...at 60 dollars an account I don't think they were "back in business" as quick as you make the out to be.. LOL. are you sure you're not confusing this with some F2P game like Aion or something?

  15. #195
    Community Member arkonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    Hey all,just wanted to see if im the only one feeling this way. I think DDO is on the way out,i find myself more an more logging in looking at whos on in my guild,checking my auctions and checking the channel chatter for a min then looking at the lfm and then logging off. i just cant justify the grind anymore. i tire of doing the same quests for the billionth time,and running thru them with a tr'd slightly more powerful character or even an all new build just isnt doing it any more. the game is just a boring grind fest for me now,that just mainly serves as a place to chat with my friends and guildies while we mindlessly go thru the motions of completing a quest weve all done a zillion times. that one saving grace of community is just not worth it any more.

    With new things like the elder scrolls online coming up,and games like final fantasy 14 promising new content every 3 monthes and guild wars 2 offering new content EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR FREE!(with only your monthly sub fee which is comparable to turbines VIP fee,which i pay)turbine just cant keep up. i think ddo just doesnt have the WOW type crowd thats going to keep it going forever,id really like to see it put down for good,and maybe turbine begin work on a modernization of the concept,because i love D&D and thats really the only people that are left it seems,the hardcore D&D crowd,and rightfully so as it is the best digital option for such fans(neverwinter... eww...),iv seen many new players come,hit cap a month or so later and then go because of a loss of interest or no desire to play through the quest lines again ,new players have been fleeting at best.

    I dont want to be that guy,but im being that guy,lol. i just dont care for it anymore,its too old,too grindy,and the community is shrinking and shrinking,smaller and smaller into these tight knit groups of vets who are completely removed from new players(by choice) through user channels and guilds,every one exists in their own little bubbles.so new players come in and dont know that,and are all like "? where all the lfms? does no one play this game? im out".

    -cue the "bye-bye,go ahead and leave" replys,lol. just wanted to vent my frustration about something iv loved for years now,and express some probobly departing words.
    you do realize all games require grinding? they all tend to repeat. I don't know what you really expect at all from anything. Life is usually a grind. you do a lot of things the same every day. you can eventually only do everything once then what? its boring? this is why i have never rushed for the end. sucks for those people because they have nothing going for them. congrats your 28 all destinies capped all tr lives done. what now? exactly my point.

    It honestly serves no purpose to rush to the "end" there is nothing really waiting for you there. you will then get bored and jaded about the game. I'm not saying everyone should stop and smell the flowers but i just never saw a huge reason to shoot to the end that quickly. i guess if your that type of person to "conquer" a game then move on. Sure that is fine. i do know a few people they will do everything then move on or come back if there is a update.

    i've been playing for near 4 years and there is still tons of things i have yet to do. i guess having a few toons helps, but some might not like that answer. Hell some try permadeath. there are tons of ways to try it differently. setting goals is one way. not farm a quest, don't use twink gear, blah blah blah.

    so my point is my playstyle i can change to adapt anytime i want depending on my friends i run with. casual or powergamers. when i get into whatever mood it is i'll do it for a while then change to another one to adapt to a style i want. I still have yet to get bored.

  16. #196
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    There is no greater prison you can submit your mind to then when you prefer ignorance over information.
    I would suggest you take your own advice on this if you don't think you can make propaganda with statistics. Anyone can pull up information where it's happened in politics with 10 mins on google. I urge you to do so, I'd post some here except that it's too close to discussing politics which isn't allowed.

  17. #197
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I would suggest you take your own advice on this if you don't think you can make propaganda with statistics. Anyone can pull up information where it's happened in politics with 10 mins on google. I urge you to do so, I'd post some here except that it's too close to discussing politics which isn't allowed.
    LOL, a quick Google search will show you that Propaganda is made with or without factual numbers, so you really have no point worth entertaining, in fact, anyone can tell you that the only real counter to Propaganda is to be properly informed, and a part of that is knowing the numbers yourself, again that too should be a no-brainer.

    But fitting that you want to preach ignorance as opposed to information, such is what people who have agenda's do, because when other people know the truth, it destroys their lies.

  18. #198
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Deadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Yeah it's login data, but because it's logins and not accounts active or some other such thing there are multiple ways to interpret all the information on the site.
    It's only meaningless if you try and use it as a 100% accurate counter of the games population at any point in time - and really for that, you'd be better off with a bot that just counts the Who entries and accept that the Anon people don't show up.

    What it is useful for is a relativistic view of what's happening, where things like a few people who religiously log in on every server every day gets normalised out.

    So as an indication of general activity, it's fine.

    What we can't take as gospel is the actual number of logins per day to be an indication of actual live accounts.

  19. #199
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    ...at 60 dollars an account I don't think they were "back in business" as quick as you make the out to be.. LOL. are you sure you're not confusing this with some F2P game like Aion or something?
    You were just speaking about being uninformed, and how information is key(heh). Back when Aion was P2P, all of the stuff that happens now was happening. I played from the second closed beta, and we had gold spammers there too. That's right, gold spammers in closed beta. The player shops in the main cities for both factions had very nearly the same amount of power leveling/gold seller shops as they do now. Legit players having to pay for accounts doesn't stop them, and it never has. Are you under the illusion that this stuff doesn't go on in games like WoW? It's just as rife there as it is anywhere else.

  20. #200
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    You were just speaking about being uninformed, and how information is key(heh). Back when Aion was P2P, all of the stuff that happens now was happening. I played from the second closed beta, and we had gold spammers there too. That's right, gold spammers in closed beta. The player shops in the main cities for both factions had very nearly the same amount of power leveling/gold seller shops as they do now. Legit players having to pay for accounts doesn't stop them, and it never has. Are you under the illusion that this stuff doesn't go on in games like WoW? It's just as rife there as it is anywhere else.
    You know, I played GWII, live, for near 4 moths, and I put in an ungodly amount of hours playing it, in the 40 - 50 hours a week range (yes, I was hopelessly addicted) and I never saw this "rife with gold spammers" environment you speak of, I mean maybe once in a while I would see a spammer (like I only saw one maybe 3 times in a month) but, after a quick "report" they were gone, and gone fast I might add, unless they intended to play for 5 min that day and never be seen again.. LOL, and there is no way to get a GWII account unless it's paid for and Arenanet is not giving them away for free to gold sellers.

    AION was from my experience with was riddled with gold spammers, nothing at all like GWII or DDO for that matter, both games remained surprisingly Gold Spammer light as well, so the problem in that regard seems to be with how AION handled gold spammers and not the product of them being this "unstoppable force" you make them out to be.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload