Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Exactly. You play a game for FIVE THOUSAND hours, and it's going to get boring. It doesn't mean the game sucks. It means you've played it out. It happens. Take a break and come back later.
    This!

In my time in DDO (which began a few days after go-live), I've take a 1 year break, a 7 month break, a 5 month break and numerous 2 week breaks. Every time I come back, I remember why I love this game. I agree that Turbine has got to deal with the content issues but there are still things about this game that make it unlike any other. Take a break long break and then come back. You'll be refreshed and actually enjoy running GH and the Vale for the 1000th time. (I'm not joking)
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

You can only cry wolf so many times before people start to ignore you.

You guys have called "DOOOOOOMMM" for 7 years straight. Sooner or later, you may be right. You may even be right this time, but no one at Turbine will ever make changes based on any of these DOOOOOOOOM threads, because they come up every single month, after every single change, and you all have lost all credibility.
    Have to disagree on these, while in general your argument is right Turbine is well known for not having heard any wolf cry since ever, so is not like a lost of credibility thingie, is more like I've never been listening so ...

The drop in players is for everyone obvious, we don't have the numbers (and of course Turbine won't make them public) but is pretty noticable by now, they'll react or not? who knows, first of all we think they're able to react, or maybe they think they're doing *shrug*

To be honest is terribly sad, is a great concept that's being ruined by the wrongest short-sighted management

I sometimes wonder what could really be done to change the tide, to make players who really love this game feel like there's a future for it
    Proud member of Lotusfly's squelch list!

You guys have called "DOOOOOOMMM" for 7 years straight. Sooner or later, you may be right. You may even be right this time, but no one at Turbine will ever make changes based on any of these DOOOOOOOOM threads, because they come up every single month, after every single change, and you all have lost all credibility.
    The state of the game is an argument of degree. You bring the absolutist argument into each thread about the state of the game, labeling those who disagree with you as crying wolf. The cred lost is yours when you make these kinds of statements, because most of the time you claim people are crying doom, they arent. They are speaking their mind about the current state of the game and how it can be improved. Youre mocking the most important people in the equation, the customers.

They dont need to make changes due to any "doomthread" - they need to make those changes based on how quickly the people who come back when major content updates are released, leave again. This time it was right around 2 weeks. There is a void here, and you think Turbine can fill it with ghostbane weapons, and anyone who doesnt like it is crying doom?
    Last edited by Chai; 09-30-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I'm teh_troll. I cannot be ignored.

I've only been here for 4 years and have only bee crying d000m for 18 months. The game was better 18 months ago wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    There is a void here, and you think Turbine can fill it with ghostbane weapons, and anyone who doesnt like it is crying doom?
    /win

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    . I am not calling out Turbine staff on this as I know WB is breathing down their necks to reach that quarterly quota or they will shut it down.

Again, speculation but it does make me wonder.
    Why do people keep thinking this? Don't you think if it was all about profits that Asheron's Call would be on the chopping block as well? That game likely has only a fraction of players as DDO has and is still up and running (and getting updates). If that game still makes them money, DDO must be a cash cow in comparison and Lotro the golden goose.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Why do people keep thinking this? Don't you think if it was all about profits that Asheron's Call would be on the chopping block as well? That game likely has only a fraction of players as DDO has and is still up and running (and getting updates). If that game still makes them money, DDO must be a cash cow in comparison and Lotro the golden goose.
    You kind of answered your own question. Its headcount is also right around that of DDO. AC is in maintenance mode more or less, which might mean it makes MORE money than DDO.

Both DDO and LOTRO have now seen expansions where the loot was generic-ified and most reasons to aspire to endgame quelled. The only possible way its a cash cow is if they streamlined the number of resources even further. Who hands that decision down the pipeline? WB.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    This is why I love Asheron's Call so much. I've never played the game and never intend to, but the existence of it is a wonderful canary in the Turbine coal mine. I can't see any DDO shutdown happening before something similar happens to AC first.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    The point was, current population compared to previous years-past population is irrelevant due to ddo having adopted a different business model and the market being different in general

But yes, you're right. The game needs to have a population. And if your house is on fire, you should probably leave
    We do have almost 5 years worth of data since DDO adopted that business model. It was only out for slightly longer than 2 years before f2p happened.

What Im more interested in is the ratio between the time it takes to develop new content and the timeframe that the population swells after release of said content, before the majority who came back leave again. The "ghostbane-ing" of DDO certainly didnt help matters in that department.
    Last edited by Chai; 09-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Lets see... there are 4 new races/class combos, a new expansion with a MASSIVE explorer area, a complete overhaul of the enhancement system, new epic feats, they re-tooled mabar with new critters and higher level loot... I'm not seeing the signs that DDO is going anywhere any time soon.

You aren't the only one who feels the way you do, but there are a lot of us who still don't.
    none of this i feel is really substantial,i dont do mabar or cove or any other of the half ass boring festival/crafting **** in ddo nor do i do the explorer areas because they are boring to run in circles around for little reward,and im not interestid in lvl 15 generic heroes... all of that stuff sucks. all of my toons have always run straight up on random loot gen quest reward sets and raid gear with 0 problems,i have exactly 1 piece of greensteel gear among 12 toons. all the rewards from crafting just are not good enough to justify the grind and trudging through the lame ass process(or 50 processes or whatever) of crafting in ddo. ddo crafting and the repeat me a thousand times festivals based around it are garbage. i like to do interesting and challenging quests/raids with my friends,something ddo used to do really well. literally EVERYTHING else in the game is too convoluted/boring/time consuming to be worth doing.
    Last edited by gripshift22; 09-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    This is why I love Asheron's Call so much. I've never played the game and never intend to, but the existence of it is a wonderful canary in the Turbine coal mine. I can't see any DDO shutdown happening before something similar happens to AC first.
    hell yea. they make an absolute fortune on lotro... if they needed to they could easily sustain ddo for ever with just a fraction of a percent of their profit from that game. ill say this for the like THE 10th TIME,READ THE OTHER POSTS HERE! VERY FEW PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY SAYING THEY THINK DDO IS GOING TO BE SHUT DOWN. THIS IS NOT A DOOM THREAD. just griping about our personal problems with the game and discussing it.(although the doom-saying thread title has pulled alot of hits,lol :P)
    Last edited by gripshift22; 09-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.

As someone who comes from old ddo ages of 2006, I would like to say to the OP that the game is far from dead. Anyone remembers the "black ages" of ddo? Anyone remembers login into their server and see 8 lfms and barely 200+ people online? Anyone remembers running Relic to death cause that was the end game content at that time? Anyone remembers his first +2 tome in Cot6? Anyone remembers VoN6 when it first came out and the thrill to run it again, and again, until you beat it?

No I am not trying to say that everything is all roses now, no. What I am trying to say is that this game became something due the LOVE its community showed through its dark ages, when the playerbase fleshed and carved out this game through the years. The Game is what you make of it, or rather "the world is what you make of it".

I agree with many posters here, though, and I would add that this game would need some new thrills. Like abbot was when it first came out. Like VoN6. Like Stormreaver. Like Titan. What happened to the person who created those raids? Whats going on here, be the badass dungeon master again Turbine. Some from the playerbase live for those days.

As to the OP, I suggest you take a break, and suddenly one day the thrill of playing this game will return! Again, and again.
    Founder member of aLiclan

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofmoradin View Post
    As someone who comes from old ddo ages of 2006, I would like to say to the OP that the game is far from dead. Anyone remembers the "black ages" of ddo? Anyone remembers login into their server and see 8 lfms and barely 200+ people online? Anyone remembers running Relic to death cause that was the end game content at that time? Anyone remembers his first +2 tome in Cot6? Anyone remembers VoN6 when it first came out and the thrill to run it again, and again, until you beat it?

No I am not trying to say that everything is all roses now, no. What I am trying to say is that this game became something due the LOVE its community showed through its dark ages, when the playerbase fleshed and carved out this game through the years. The Game is what you make of it, or rather "the world is what you make of it".

I agree with many posters here, though, and I would add that this game would need some new thrills. Like abbot was when it first came out. Like VoN6. Like Stormreaver. Like Titan. What happened to the person who created those raids? Whats going on here, be the badass dungeon master again Turbine. Some from the playerbase live for those days.

As to the OP, I suggest you take a break, and suddenly one day the thrill of playing this game will return! Again, and again.
    just came back maybe 2 monthes ago,after 2 years of "break" druids,arti's,house C,epics and everythng forward was all new to me. 2 months later and im sick of it all. i dont know if a break is gonna do it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    ...,new pop tarts flavor." lol. ...
    Actually, the new Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts aren't worth skipping WW for.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post

Good point. Unless they shut them both down at once.

As long as they keep churning out new content that takes a lot of time and resources to produce, and between Shadowfell and the enhancement pass, that must have been a TON of work, then I'm not sweating anything.

That will only take most people so far. DDO is surviving right now because of it, but with more and more bad decisions by the dev team I'm seeing more and more of that community starting to leave for other games.

Cool

Yeah, I was all frustrated by the lag, the bugs and the game changes; was gonna bail out - but then it all changed for me when Turbine finally responded to my endless requests for a Re-roll button on random chests!
    YES! I'm back baby! I'm all IN!

Now when I decipher the coded random loot and figure out its just more cheap vendor trash I can slap that Re-Roll button and get different equally indecipherable cheap vendor trash! But the second time it could perhaps be worth even more gp, especially if I use the Jewel of Fortune I got with a FREE daily Silver Dice Roll jackpot! WINNING!

Now, I can look forward to finding the next chest full of coded random vendor trash and know that I don't have to settle for that first pile of all but useless puzzle treasure! YES!

This game just keeps getting better and better...

(Sarcasm intended. in case U didn't know. And judging by what I read here probably some of you don't)
    Last edited by hp1055cm; 09-30-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Go back and check out the newest change... that 20 number is no longer true... There's 2-3 times that many people _dead_ in places on this video. This is NOT a dungeon... it's a dynamic world event.

I THINK there's NSFW language somewhere in the chatter, so watch yer volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENW3twa4iq0

I will say the general community in DDO would be a fantastic addition to GW2 - the group in this video are much better than is the norm in GW2 (behavior and courtesy-wise). On weekends in GW2, some areas are like Khyber during that time of the month.
    Well I did not watch the whole vid, but what server is this on? If it was JQ, BG, SF or something I could understand because of their high population, while if it was ET or FC, then their lower pop would show less players. however, JQ and anything above 6th tier are mostly WvW servers, which is cool, Loved WvW myself.

Also, I so wanna go back to GWII, but I know if I do, I may as well move into my Mom's basement for all the time I will spending playing it.

To tell the truth, I was and still am amazed that DDO weathered GWII release as well as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post

(Sarcasm intended. in case U didn't know. And judging by what I read here probably some of you don't)

Hmm, so what you're really trying to say is that you DO like the new Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast