Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    True this. And not to mention with he Dynamic leveling, you can be a total newb, and still have your capped friend go around a zone with you in your group, and you just run together, no barriers in that regard.

When DE's start, like Jormag (Dragon) you can be in a pile of 20 people, while solo (not in a group) and they are all there, helping each other, if you fall, they raise you, and it's this really great social community type of feeling.

Then there are Guild Events, like races, quests, and more were being added as I left.

Just so much to do, really, level 80 was the start of the game, when you stopped thinking about levels and learning the game, and started to actually play it.
    Go back and check out the newest change... that 20 number is no longer true... There's 2-3 times that many people _dead_ in places on this video. This is NOT a dungeon... it's a dynamic world event.

I THINK there's NSFW language somewhere in the chatter, so watch yer volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENW3twa4iq0

I will say the general community in DDO would be a fantastic addition to GW2 - the group in this video are much better than is the norm in GW2 (behavior and courtesy-wise). On weekends in GW2, some areas are like Khyber during that time of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    The game's boring as sin because there's nothing to do at end-game. Fix that with more content.

End of discussion.
    Yep, theres plenty of stuff we CAN do, but nothing to aspire to.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Yep, theres plenty of stuff we CAN do, but nothing to aspire to.
    Max level is going to be 48 and to think of what our xp should be is fun! Level 48 is the max because then Epic Toughness and Toughness are the same feat and 48/3 is a neat 16 feats and a neat 24 for fighters and also a neat 48/4 for stats.

This game has a future! Relax.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Go back and check out the newest change... that 20 number is no longer true... There's 2-3 times that many people _dead_ in places on this video. This is NOT a dungeon... it's a dynamic world event.

I THINK there's NSFW language somewhere in the chatter, so watch yer volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENW3twa4iq0

I will say the general community in DDO would be a fantastic addition to GW2 - the group in this video are much better than is the norm in GW2 (behavior and courtesy-wise). On weekends in GW2, some areas are like Khyber during that time of the month.
    this is ****ing awsome.... its **** like this ddo just wont ever be able to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Reasonable suggestions

Don't raise the cap to 30 keep it at 28 there is no reason for more epic commoner levels

Stop putting random properties on named loot people don't like it.

Bring back epic, call it true epic or something, 1x per day no reentries.

Bring back raiding, people don't raid right now because there is no point to it. Raise all epic raids to level 28 and improve the loot. Create 3 new raids over the next year.

Eliminate btcoe and go to btc and bta. Btcoe eliminates too much of the grind from the endgame causing people to stop working on it because there is nothing left to get.

Eliminate en/eh/ee items with all difficulties dropping the eh version that can then be upgraded to a ee+1 version in the true epic difficulty with a seal,shard, and scroll.
    Totally disagree with you on btcoe stuff. I'm happy that more of this exists. Sure, you can make all raid loot btc or bta - but it better be more powerful. btcoe increases player trading and that's a positive.

Agree on the raiding, disagree on the lvl cap. I think the idea at Turbine is to get the lvl cap to 30, then build end game. The danger here is the time involved - if they take too much time in building an end-game, they might just not have the customers left. But they can't really build an end-game for lvl 28, if their plans are to go to 30 (unless they make the raids really tough and make EE at lvl 35 or something).

RE: this thread. In the past month my guild has doubled. It's a small guild anyways, but we've gone from 6 actives to 14 actives - and the 8 people who joined are all new to the game. 4 of them elected to go VIP. The VIP play every day (not as much as a powergamer, but usually 2-4 hours).

Concurrently, I've seen a few long term players leave. One wasn't VIP, and he's just burned out on the game (he never liked high-level stuff and only TR'd, so the comments here don't really apply to him). Two others each had kids and return when they can; another had his ex get back into his life, etc. So the reasons I'm seeing people leave the game is not necessarily b/c of lack of content. It's a mix of both real life stuff and content.

We don't need more grind. We simply need a horizontal base of content at the high levels, with good loot. I like the E/EH/EE loot drops - it makes the truly good stuff difficult to acquire, and the EH stuff not too difficult to get.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldais View Post
    As someone who has played and supported since Beta in 06, sadly I have to agree with the author of this post. DDO is losing steam, the problems I see is actually common in a game like this.

I will list the problems I see with DDO, and some of the stronger arguments for it in the following.

Cons:
    Creativity drain: The quests created in the recent updates feel like rushed, cookie cutter, and brainless. For a game marketed not for an open world but for instanced play, this will be the death of DDO, if a solution for more creativity is not found. This lack of creativity is also laminated in the NEW IMPROVED item prefixes, and suffixes, I will leave it at that.

Lack of direction: A feeling of general lacking of development direction. With so many different loot developments all running in production, this gives a feeling that there is no one in charge, or whoever is in charge keep having brain storms. This is actually good in pre-designing phase, this is horrible in a stable-production server. This lack of direction is also apparent in Quest Arc development, we no longer have the continues Necro - stop an Demi-god epic story, Stormreaver vs Truthful One epic story which started in the Waterworks. The quests in FR feel less connected, less story driven.

Power Creep: I know every game has a power creep, but ever since Epic this feeling becomes much stronger. It's probably because DnD in it's core rule set is actually quite tender with power creep. But Turbine in their wisdom decided to deviate 90% from DnD Epic rules and created this monstrous Epic system, where Heroic skills no longer matter, then they decided to Power-Up the epic content with ridiculous numbers, and the story never ends.

Lack of Dynamic Replaybility(Is this even a word?): Ever since beta, Turbine has been promising three things, Druid, Gnomes, and Dynamic Questing. They have delivered on 1 of 3. As a player who have played the old content for 7 years, I would seriously hope that Turbine would someday create a dynamic quest engine. I had high hopes for Challenges, but those are a serious let down. To Turbine if you are reading, random encounter, random trap location, random monster variety, and if you can do it, random dungeons!

Pros:
    DDO is still the only MMO with semi-active Combat System.

DDO is still the only MMO that is more related to DnD than it's closest competitor.

DDO for all it's faults still have the most mature player base in any MMO game.
    +1

Especially

DDO is still the only MMO with semi-active Combat System.

I try to play other games, but the combat just is not as good. The combat is mostly click and watch. Now the graphics and action and sound of other games is another story.

DDO just needs a makeover. It is 7 years old.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    DDO just needs a makeover. It is 7 years old.
    This would be a horrible idea, any graphics increase will require an increase in system speed and that will lock out some current customers and lose more players. I don't get the whole oooh shiny graphics thing anyways, some of the best games ever made were still nes and snes.

Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    this is ****ing awsome.... its **** like this ddo just wont ever be able to do....
    I agree, but one more negative I just thought of - DDO's combat is still more "active" (if that's the right description), IMHO. Note in that video, the boss is not like charging at you - it's just standing there doing shock waves, spawning poison and walls, etc.

If they ever get their bosses something more akin to even the end fight of Chronoscope, life's gonna get more interesting. I'm still a fanboi, but there are STILL parts of DDO that are leading the industry - they're just covered in otherwise sloppy work. Yah, gimme another point - I am very aware y'all don't like that particular phrase.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    This would be a horrible idea, any graphics increase will require an increase in system speed and that will lock out some current customers and lose more players. I don't get the whole oooh shiny graphics thing anyways, some of the best games ever made were still nes and snes.
    Especially if its more stuff like the shadowfell graphics. Can't run Wheloon due to how badly my old computer performs there. If i am going to have to invest a bunch of money in a new computer to play an old game whats another 40 or 50$ to just go ahead and grab a new game to replace the old game while i am at it?
    Last edited by smeggy1384; 09-29-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    From what experience ive had on these forums, the game has been doomed and about to close in the next few months ever since i joined it.
    Exactly. "Yawn"... I just got back from the lake, and checked out the forums for a quick second before heading to bed.

You guys are really really boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Exactly. "Yawn"... I just got back from the lake, and checked out the forums for a quick second before heading to bed.

You guys are really really boring.
    You still carrying water from Lake Turbine, I see.

It was too easy, hadda be done

Community Member

I'm a newb compared to the most of you (I've been playing for only 13 months), but unfortunately I can relate to this. And like many of you, I feel my own reasons for why this is happening and what I believe would make it better. But unfortunately, the implementation of any of those would actually cost Turbine money because (a) those who currently like them would be disgruntled and (b) less people would be 'forced' to use the DDOstore for questing materials (like Sovereign Potions)

You want to encourage grouping and fight the phenomenon of TRs prefering to solo than join a forming group? In that case:
    -> Remove Bravery Bonus in every form
    -> Remove party No-reentry bonus (keep it on a per-player basis)
    -> Remove party No-death bonus
    -> Remove Dungeon Scaling and employ this:
    -----Casual balanced for soloing by a new player with a Challenging class
    -----Normal balanced for soloing by a Solo class
    -----Hard balanced for a group of two Solo classes
    -----Elite balanced for a group of at least 4 good Soloing classes played by experienced players

You want to combat zerging and encourage completing a dungeon and not just getting to the end?
    -> Increase Conquest bonus to 50%
    -> Increase Ransack bonus to 35%
    -> Increase Tamper bonus to 35%
    -> Increase Detection bonus to 35%
    -> Increase experience granted by optionals

You have a good friend that is low level because he can't play as often as you but you want to play together without having to create a new toon?
    - When entering a quest, a player may tick if they want to receive negative levels while inside the quest until they are at quest level (yes, I know this isn't exactly balanced due to so many more enhancements and feats, but it's a solution nonetheless). I've heard other games employ this.

And of course, I have my own issues with so many abilities that need to be set on bars (before TRing I had 9 active bars, with about 75 abilities on them, and I used at least 50 of them in every quest. That's more than double what I needed to use in WoW during hardcore raiding) and the excessive bloat through enhancements and EDs as well as rapid gear upgrades throughout the levels that invalidate spells (what exactly is the reason to have Bull's Strength etc. when lvl7 green gear gives that same bonus for no cost?)

In the end, that's how the developers want the game to be. It's up to me to either continue supporting it or move on.

Default For the doom patrol

You think there's doomsaying now?

Wait until U20 comes and not only adds nothing to endgame (causing all the people who have held on until that point to finally give up and take a break from DDO), but the inevitable bugs with their new system screw up TRing so that then nobody can properly enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    DDOracle Traffic doesn't mean much.
    Especially when considering...
    http://ddoracle.com/Cannith.html - Report Run at April 21st 2013!

Frankly it would be nice if the people behind DDOracle could update it - chances are they can't however because of Turbine's wiping of MyDDO!

So trusting the Traffic Report - Which after all is Just a Graph - is a bit naive in my view.
    As it happens, that would be, er, naive.

The Traffic report is, and has been, updated typically daily. There is a great deal of demand for it these days and your Oracle has made efforts to keep it very current. The update dates are correct. Perhaps next time you could cite the Traffic report update date?

However, you are not mistaken about the player/server reports. The Active Update (identifying which characters are actually played) involves pulling a great deal of data, which takes literally over a week. Unexpectedly, a lot more social butterflies switch guilds in a week than your Oracle expected. (Thousands, not dozens) And this required some extensive work to try and ascertain which characters are in flux, and what guild they're actually in at any given point in time, to be able to run an accurate report. This turns out to be a fairly unique issue in data management when the data for 1.5 million characters has to be pulled over a link at modem speeds. And at the same time, demand for traffic numbers grew, so that has gotten more attention.

The loss of the Leaderboard means that keeping current on the Guilds is all but impossible now. However, player stats are still available, and the core MyDDO data is still available. Only MyDDO itself is down, because Turbine did listen to the players and kept the data access available. A generous act that seems frequently forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Cannith is spelled with 3 Ns along the Server Row!
    Gads. Need to FoD the site then, obviously!

[Edit: In all the years of the Oracle, no one has noticed the 3 Ns. Hell, I'm keeping it. It's like a battle cry. CANNNNNNNNNITH!]
    Last edited by Tecc; 09-30-2013 at 02:02 AM.
    The All-Knowing Oracle of www.ddoracle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Nope Ferd is right on this one.

ESO has one thing over those games... combat similar to DDO

Turbine should be really afraid of that game.
    You do know that rift also has combat similar to ddo?

Community Member

Having read few pages of this thread. I went and youtube'd videos of both games to see what they were like.

Safe for work/kids

A video by Massivelty giving his top 10 encounters in GW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDRiGg2lTs
    The boss scaling, flavor, immersion, entrance, and death scene are all epic feeling. The various mechanics, and soo much new content. The game got some legs.

ESO video by IGN from QuakeCon 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXjzLEGV9U
    Love the fast travel feature, and they dont charge Astral Shards :P Hear that Turbine!! They're better than you.

Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2 have close to DDO combat. If they could just give me 20 hotbars and a faster running speed !
    They do a lot of things right and Turbine team could learn a lot from them.

Quote Originally Posted by gripshift22 View Post
    Hey all,just wanted to see if im the only one feeling this way. I think DDO is on the way out,i find myself more an more logging in looking at whos on in my guild,checking my auctions and checking the channel chatter for a min then looking at the lfm and then logging off.

Lets see... there are 4 new races/class combos, a new expansion with a MASSIVE explorer area, a complete overhaul of the enhancement system, new epic feats, they re-tooled mabar with new critters and higher level loot... I'm not seeing the signs that DDO is going anywhere any time soon.

You aren't the only one who feels the way you do, but there are a lot of us who still don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    You do know that rift also has combat similar to ddo?
    Yes, but ESO even more so.

Long term DDO players can step right into ESO and not miss a beat in how to play the game.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Tecc View Post
    As it happens, that would be, er, naive.

The Traffic report is, and has been, updated typically daily. There is a great deal of demand for it these days and your Oracle has made efforts to keep it very current. The update dates are correct. Perhaps next time you could cite the Traffic report update date?

However, you are not mistaken about the player/server reports. The Active Update (identifying which characters are actually played) involves pulling a great deal of data, which takes literally over a week. Unexpectedly, a lot more social butterflies switch guilds in a week than your Oracle expected. (Thousands, not dozens) And this required some extensive work to try and ascertain which characters are in flux, and what guild they're actually in at any given point in time, to be able to run an accurate report. This turns out to be a fairly unique issue in data management when the data for 1.5 million characters has to be pulled over a link at modem speeds. And at the same time, demand for traffic numbers grew, so that has gotten more attention.

The loss of the Leaderboard means that keeping current on the Guilds is all but impossible now. However, player stats are still available, and the core MyDDO data is still available. Only MyDDO itself is down, because Turbine did listen to the players and kept the data access available. A generous act that seems frequently forgotten.

Gads. Need to FoD the site then, obviously!

[Edit: In all the years of the Oracle, no one has noticed the 3 Ns. Hell, I'm keeping it. It's like a battle cry. CANNNNNNNNNITH!]

Sorry but that Graph means nothing!

I personally log on 3-4 accounts {one of them with over 40 characters} on multiple Servers Daily!

When Alting I regularly reload DDO after every 4th or 5th alt!

That's twice {more usually Thrice} I have to Reload Sarlona!
    And 6-7 Times for Cannith! {Make that 9 times on Cannith as I have TWO alt accounts on that Server}.
    When I want to Log ALL my Characters on {I don't do this Daily but I do do it quite often - Usually at least once a week!}.

I've noticed the 3 Ns before - this is just the first time I've actually mentioned it as I finally couldn't take it any more {Previously I had assumed it would get fixed but DDOracle seems to be Turbine like in that Department!}.

As for the Graph itself - A Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly Bar Graph would make more sense than the current Line Graphs you use as they would be more easily readable by the majority AND less cluttered!

We don't need to know everything - We don't need to know how many people play Elf Fighters or WF Clerics or Halfling Barbs!
    We don't need to know Most Overused Guild Names!
    We don't need to know Guilds with Highest Average Character Level!

We DO need to know the top 50 Guilds By Level Per Server and their Current Levels! {a top 10 of Fastest Levelling Guilds per server might also be handy}.
    I believe you currently don't count Guilds under Lvl 20 or with Less than 24 members?
    I'd personally push the minimum limit up to 30 now.
    And I'd drop the Minimum Members to be counted - There are Guilds of One with 70+ Levels out there and it's unfair to not count them!

We DO need to know how many players are online regularly and yes there is an issue with alts {and the new Dual-Boxability added to the game} BUT this is where you need to concentrate on!

And IF as you say Turbine are still allowing you access to this data then you should be updating the Server Pages Regularly - Just remove the Unneeded "fun" stats and concentrate on those that are required!

P.S. I believe Cannith Currently has 4 Guilds at Lvl 100 {A Tribe Called Zerg, Ordo Draconis, Templar and Hella Pro} - I'm sure others on Cannith could help you make a Larger Weekly list of the Top 50 Guilds. {Only counting those over Lvl 66 or 40 on Wayfinder}.
    AND I'm also sure that You'd find this easy enough to do for other servers too!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast