Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

We should actually get out collective buttocks together and actually expend some time to compile some sort of definitive list of "DDO is dead" threads and make it a sticky.

It would make it a lot easier to just have a bot generate a post into a single sticky every month with the cheery title "I'm not dead. Infact I'm feeling much better." every month or two.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by EnziteBob View Post
    With an engine this old alpha and beta testing takes time. In the past year we have gotten 5 updates and and 9 patches that's not counting hotfixes. Even some of the big games don't get that many.
    Black box engine code you can do nothing about.

But trying to argue after 8+ years that you're encumbered by alien code is just a nonsense. At some point in time your responsibility for maintenance of alien code becomes your responsibility for adopting code and revising it to make it more maintainable.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    That is by far my favorite argument from the "all is fine" crowd.
    I'm always eager and excited as a sparkling bunny to hear from the "realistic proposals on how we can improve the current situation" crowd.

Oh course, most of the spineless member of that particular brigade to tend to cry that there's no point to their suggestion. It gives them an easy excuse to offer nothing productive.

There are plenty of things that can be improved with the current game, and now we have a hardcap of 30 on the next-year horizon, what would you like to see prioritised for improvement?

My vote is still firmly for a properly detailed character sheet and increased bank and inventory space to facilitate epic TRing and the new enhancements. After that, I'll accept content as a second priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    I'm always eager and excited as a sparkling bunny to hear from the "realistic proposals on how we can improve the current situation" crowd.

Oh course, most of the spineless member of that particular brigade to tend to cry that there's no point to their suggestion. It gives them an easy excuse to offer nothing productive.

There are plenty of things that can be improved with the current game, and now we have a hardcap of 30 on the next-year horizon, what would you like to see prioritised for improvement?

My vote is still firmly for a properly detailed character sheet and increased bank and inventory space to facilitate epic TRing and the new enhancements. After that, I'll accept content as a second priority.
    Reasonable suggestions

Don't raise the cap to 30 keep it at 28 there is no reason for more epic commoner levels

Stop putting random properties on named loot people don't like it.

Bring back epic, call it true epic or something, 1x per day no reentries.

Bring back raiding, people don't raid right now because there is no point to it. Raise all epic raids to level 28 and improve the loot. Create 3 new raids over the next year.

Eliminate btcoe and go to btc and bta. Btcoe eliminates too much of the grind from the endgame causing people to stop working on it because there is nothing left to get.

Eliminate en/eh/ee items with all difficulties dropping the eh version that can then be upgraded to a ee+1 version in the true epic difficulty with a seal,shard, and scroll.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    GWII is an amazing game, Seriously, you can cap level and still only see 10% of the game, it is VAST
    VAST like LOTRO where you can choose to collect a variable amount of different types of badger nostrils to gain XP?

Capping at 10% of content gives no useful information on number of hours non-hardcore-grindy-zealot gameplay required to reach cap. Your statistic is meaningless.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Reasonable suggestions

Bring back raiding, people don't raid right now because there is no point to it. Raise all epic raids to level 28 and improve the loot. Create 3 new raids over the next year.
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm not arguing against raiding. I am dead against running my Xth CITW and getting totally feckin skunked on my heroic comms or anything else apart from random garbage.

So what exactly is it that you think that 3 new raids will deliver over the current game?

Better loot?

A greater degree of difficulty challenge that isn't just adding 0's onto the mob HP?

An interactive sociable experience where we feel that a collaborative effort will yield results we could not possibly attain on our own?

I should also say. Zero sarcasm in those. And from a Jock that's saying something.

What do you want from the 3 raids? Because if that's not clear, you could find yourself with 3 new raids that deliver nothing that you want and you're suddenly no better off.

VAST like LOTRO where you can choose to collect a variable amount of different types of badger nostrils to gain XP?

Capping at 10% of content gives no useful information on number of hours non-hardcore-grindy-zealot gameplay required to reach cap. Your statistic is meaningless.
    Well, it's difficult to communicate this particular stat with GW2, as there are so many ways to arrive at cap.

You can't do the following with a brand new character (because it can cost gold to do so, which new characters need to build up), but my second character was at cap in like 6 hours total play time and hadn't seen 1% of the world. This was because I was testing the assertion that one could get all the way to cap by doing NOTHING but crafting. You can. Never stepped a FOOT outside of towns. Cost me a buncha gold, though, hence you have to do this after building up or borrowing gold from like a guildie.

I don't recommend anyone do this, though; because it was very boring - I just wanted to see if it was true

Community Member

We should actually get out collective buttocks together and actually expend some time to compile some sort of definitive list of "DDO is dead" threads and make it a sticky.

It would make it a lot easier to just have a bot generate a post into a single sticky every month with the cheery title "I'm not dead. Infact I'm feeling much better." every month or two.

have you even read the rest of the post here? except for my poorly worded thread title,i dont think any posters here REALLY think the game is gonna be SHUT DOWN DEAD,dead means differnt things for differnt people. like i said before,im sure they are making plenty of money just off of cosmetic armor and ottos boxes... i believe they wont shut ddo down until they have absolutley drained every red cent from those hardcore fans who remain and still buy useless **** and low quality content.
    Last edited by gripshift22; 09-29-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Well, it's difficult to communicate this particular stat with GW2, as there are so many ways to arrive at cap.

You can't do the following with a brand new character (because it can cost gold to do so, which new characters need to build up), but my second character was at cap in like 6 hours total play time and hadn't seen 1% of the world. This was because I was testing the assertion that one could get all the way to cap by doing NOTHING but crafting. You can. Never stepped a FOOT outside of towns. Cost me a buncha gold, though, hence you have to do this after building up or borrowing gold from like a guildie.

I don't recommend anyone do this, though; because it was very boring - I just wanted to see if it was true
    for the price of admission,im more than willing to dive in. especially since if i want to i can stick it in the cellar for a year or 2 to age proper before popping the cork again without having to spend another cent.

OK, allow me to give you a feel for GWII. If you tried to level off just exploring. as in Zero Grind, you wander around and find POI's and NPC's and stuff, you would level to cap by the time you hit around 50% of the map. If you engaged in the Dynamic Events, you could increase how fast you leveled, and if you added a few Dungeons to the mix, you could make it go even faster with less and less exploration.

Now when I say vast, imagine there are 40 maps, each larger then kings forest, but packed as densely a Media, there would always be something going on around you, some even for you to engage in if you wanted, from say, something like a Giant attacking, to a Dragon Landing, to just needing to fend off some angry fish people. There is this ambiance of activity around you as you explore the maps.

Now, as for collecting bat wings or what have you,that is not really possible, I mean you could just run the same circle of DE's, but, believe it or not, that would be less profitable then exploring and more variety.

If you don't like to move around, you could level up by literally just working your crafting as crafting gave both crafting levels and adventure levels.

If you enjoyed PvP, You could also just engage in World vs World, and level that way.

The options are very open in GWII, and I kid you not, getting to 80th (The cap) is like when the game starts, not when the game ends. There are legendary weapons to work towards, a personal story line to complete, just loads of stuff to do, and you can cap easy, Long before you get any of it done.

When I say vast, really, the game is just VAST, like take all of DDO, and that would not make up a quarter of GWII puts on your plate when you start to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Just like Tera, Rift, GW2, Swtor, Neverwinter Online killed DDO.
    Nope Ferd is right on this one.

ESO has one thing over those games... combat similar to DDO

Turbine should be really afraid of that game.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post

True this. And not to mention with he Dynamic leveling, you can be a total newb, and still have your capped friend go around a zone with you in your group, and you just run together, no barriers in that regard.

When DE's start, like Jormag (Dragon) you can be in a pile of 20 people, while solo (not in a group) and they are all there, helping each other, if you fall, they raise you, and it's this really great social community type of feeling.

Then there are Guild Events, like races, quests, and more were being added as I left.

Just so much to do, really, level 80 was the start of the game, when you stopped thinking about levels and learning the game, and started to actually play it.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Nah this game has a genre atm that is in their golden age. This game gets new players and new accounts every day because of the genre and lore that is D&D and this game just feeds on it. It will not be until the year 2100 until it slows down and that genre is all but died off. This game is going to be around only because of the Legacy and Empire Gary and Dave built! This game just happened to be made at the right time and the perfect time in human existence.

This game has the name D&D and that is huge! It only gets new players because of the genre and not from advertising nor from being a Great game (it fails to live up to the standards that it should) it is not a great game, but that still does not stop the genre from downloading the client because the pnp version of this is why they are here and not this game. Do you get what I am saying?

Out of 100 who do this if at least one stays and continues to play this game then Turbine wins. I would just hope they realize this and stop maiming the name that which is D&D and get with the program, that number will increase!

Some peoples jobs (sometimes people must be fired for the better of a company and its investors) are not more important than a legacy for the future of this online game and its descendants.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-29-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Nah this game has a genre atm that is in their golden age. This game gets new players and new accounts every day because of the genre and lore that is D&D and this game just feeds on it. It will not be until the year 2100 until it slows down and that genre is all but died off. This game is going to be around only because of the Legacy and Empire Gary and Dave built! This game just happened to be made at the right time and the perfect time in human existence.

This game has the name D&D and that is huge! It only gets new players because of the genre and not from advertising nor from being a Great game (it fails to live up to the standards that it should) it is not a great game, but that still does not stop the genre from downloading the client because the pnp version of this is why they are here and not this game. Do you get what I am saying?

Out of 100 who do this if at least one stays and continues to play this game then Turbine wins. I would just hope they realize this and stop maiming the name that which is D&D and get with the program, that number will increase!

Some peoples jobs (sometimes people must be fired for the better of a company and its investors) are not more important than a legacy for the future of this online game and its descendants.
    I'd say that used to be the case, but I think a lot of the players you described are going to be downloading Neverwinter now, simply because it's newer.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Just like Tera, Rift, GW2, Swtor, Neverwinter Online killed DDO.
    It will be Turbine that kills DDO, not any other game.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    It will be Turbine that kills DDO, not any other game.
    Turbine is it's own worst enemy, everytime I check out other games it's not the other game drawing me away it's irritation with Turbine making me not want to log into ddo.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    I'd say that used to be the case, but I think a lot of the players you described are going to be downloading Neverwinter now, simply because it's newer.
    NO.

DDO is for mature folks.

I am not describing kids.

Nice try though at trying to twist my words around.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 09-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Default The problem I see with DDO in the current stage.

As someone who has played and supported since Beta in 06, sadly I have to agree with the author of this post. DDO is losing steam, the problems I see is actually common in a game like this.

I will list the problems I see with DDO, and some of the stronger arguments for it in the following.

Cons:
    Creativity drain: The quests created in the recent updates feel like rushed, cookie cutter, and brainless. For a game marketed not for an open world but for instanced play, this will be the death of DDO, if a solution for more creativity is not found. This lack of creativity is also laminated in the NEW IMPROVED item prefixes, and suffixes, I will leave it at that.

Lack of direction: A feeling of general lacking of development direction. With so many different loot developments all running in production, this gives a feeling that there is no one in charge, or whoever is in charge keep having brain storms. This is actually good in pre-designing phase, this is horrible in a stable-production server. This lack of direction is also apparent in Quest Arc development, we no longer have the continues Necro - stop an Demi-god epic story, Stormreaver vs Truthful One epic story which started in the Waterworks. The quests in FR feel less connected, less story driven.

Power Creep: I know every game has a power creep, but ever since Epic this feeling becomes much stronger. It's probably because DnD in it's core rule set is actually quite tender with power creep. But Turbine in their wisdom decided to deviate 90% from DnD Epic rules and created this monstrous Epic system, where Heroic skills no longer matter, then they decided to Power-Up the epic content with ridiculous numbers, and the story never ends.

Lack of Dynamic Replaybility(Is this even a word?): Ever since beta, Turbine has been promising three things, Druid, Gnomes, and Dynamic Questing. They have delivered on 1 of 3. As a player who have played the old content for 7 years, I would seriously hope that Turbine would someday create a dynamic quest engine. I had high hopes for Challenges, but those are a serious let down. To Turbine if you are reading, random encounter, random trap location, random monster variety, and if you can do it, random dungeons!

Pros:
    DDO is still the only MMO with semi-active Combat System.

DDO is still the only MMO that is more related to DnD than it's closest competitor.

DDO for all it's faults still have the most mature player base in any MMO game.
    Shriners

Default The GAme isnt losing steam,just some people are

There is a ton to do it this game,if you are just TRing then you skip %50 of it basically.
    Learn the quests you dont know will keep you busy for a while.
    Finish your crafting lvls.
    Host a raid people dont normally do.
    Lost of stuff to do,if your bored

The game's boring as sin because there's nothing to do at end-game. Fix that with more content.

End of discussion.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast