Default Skipping a life with the +20 stone...suggestions?

For my 9th life I'm considering going arti/rogue (18/2) and use the +20 for TRing for a PL that might otherwise be annoying. I'm not sure which would be the most annoying...I have 3 ranger & arti, a cleric PL and will have a rogue PL done next. (Not on a group TR train so usually going it alone/pugging with an occasional guild or channel group.)

My guess is barb or fighter...the former I'm guessing is more annoying than the latter. Most of the gear I have that's decent is repeater-build-centric.

Opinions?

Pally, maybe, for hamp?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Hands down paladin, they are the worst class and yet have one of the best PL.

....barbs are a close second now.

Barb or paladin........Im actually doing a paladin life right now......its not so bad....but ive got a high fighter splash and monk splash with just enough paladin levels to qualify, centered kensai with SOS is awesome, or even peshes in greater earth stance. Ive run across quite a few people doing paladin lives and they have shallower splashes in fighter and monk than I do and they seem to be doing pretty good as well. Though is barb as bad as it use to be with the new enhancements?

Bard might be a good one to skip, especially if you are mostly a soloer.

Thanks! I have this mental block, apparently, even remembering paladins exist (beyond my bladeforged bank toons).

barb, paladin or bard, good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gywiden View Post
    Bard might be a good one to skip, especially if you are mostly a soloer.
    Bard isn't that bad. Splash 2 lvls of rogue and go melee focused. Maybe a level or two of barb or fighter too. What you'll end up with is one of the most self sufficient toons with reasonable dps and great cc. Mobs are a little slow to take down, but many of them can be fascinated and run right past.

Much better than barb or pally in my opinion. In fact, I did 2 lives as bard-barbarian and had a blast. You lose a small amount of dps, but you gain hage, blursplace, cc, heals, and lots of utility spells like ddoor, invis, jump, etc. I ran with several pugs with barbs in them and ran right along with the barbs, healing them, keeping them haged and blurred, and matching their kill count. The dps plateaus a bit around level 18, but if you're tr'ing you're done by then anyway.

I thought that the paly life was one of the easier ones. If you have access, go half elf 9monk/11 paly. You get great healing amp, great saves, lots of HP. I suppose your play style could differ, but this is an easy one for a cookie cutter build.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I thought that the paly life was one of the easier ones. If you have access, go half elf 9monk/11 paly. You get great healing amp, great saves, lots of HP. I suppose your play style could differ, but this is an easy one for a cookie cutter build.
    Heh, similar to what I was thinking.
    My "standard" build is 9/9/2 monk/[past life]/artificer.
    Monk stuns/evades/feats/stances/[other awesomeness], 2 arti for 75% to wands/scrolls, UMD as class skill, +2 UMD.. 9 past life for the feat, of course.

For FvS/arti/druid/bard/barb... I have other builds to use. (FvS with just 2 monk, arti with fighter/rogue and melee, druid as semi-splashed, bard is same as druid, barb is heavily splashed)

To OP: Get a barb life. No other life will ever suck as hard in the self hjealz department. At least paladins can heal themselves, albeit with bad dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Pally was actually a lot of fun until about 13th level. Then the lack of dps starts to become a problem, and it gets worse as you level.

Pally was one of those lives where I was dreading it and it turned out to be quite fun; albeit frustrating because it is so close to being a good class. It is easily one of the most survivable classes you can have, but it's quite hilarious standing in a mob of monsters that you can't get out of, swinging away to no effect. They're not killing you, (where most any other class would be dead if it couldn't kill them or cc them quickly) but you aren't killing them either. Powerful defense, but absolutely useless offense.

And this assumes pure. I don't splash the first time I play a class so I can learn how the class works. Clearly, splashing pally would help a lot. Too bad you can't have a pally/barb, that would be interesting.

Uber Completionist
    The Hatchery

For me personally it's Barbarian. But it all comes down to what type of class you don't enjoy leveling from 1 to 20 !

I think the barb has it. I've never managed to level one even to 10. Paladin appears like it might be OK for a 8/6/6...or some other deep combo with rogue and artificer. Bard is one I *might* want 3 past lives from and the bardificer looks like it could be fun (though I'll try it on a 1st life before committing).

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Well I AM going to go wizard20 and LR to gimpadin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Bard isn't that bad. Splash 2 lvls of rogue and go melee focused. Maybe a level or two of barb or fighter too. What you'll end up with is one of the most self sufficient toons with reasonable dps and great cc. Mobs are a little slow to take down, but many of them can be fascinated and run right past.

Much better than barb or pally in my opinion. In fact, I did 2 lives as bard-barbarian and had a blast. You lose a small amount of dps, but you gain hage, blursplace, cc, heals, and lots of utility spells like ddoor, invis, jump, etc. I ran with several pugs with barbs in them and ran right along with the barbs, healing them, keeping them haged and blurred, and matching their kill count. The dps plateaus a bit around level 18, but if you're tr'ing you're done by then anyway.
    ya leveling a bard is easy. 12 bard 6 fighter 2 rog. Endless haste/displace with dmg boosts umd and self heals. Made mine a horc which as it turned out was a great choice back then before the extra levels. Sucks a bit at 18, (what doesn't) but takes off once you get your ed's.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Pure bards are very weak, but can self heal.
    Pure barbarians are strong but have trouble keeping the health up.

Those are the two I would recommend. Which one you pick is based on which trait you dislike more (not being able to heal or not being powerful). As the last poster pointed out though, if you splash your bard to the point that it is not even a bard anymore it becomes much easier.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    ...Sucks a bit at 18, (what doesn't)...
    ain't that the truth...there on the current life for this toon.

Community Member

I actually had a whole thread on this a while ago - you don't need the stone.

What they told me for a repeater-centric life, go 6 articer/6 ranger/8 whatever. Between the arty/ranger levels you've got everything you need to blaze through a life, the other 6 don't matter.

I would save the stone for when you want to play a particular class at 20 but don't want to play for 1-19. Level up as whatever else you want THEN re-level to that. That's my current idea :P too bad it doesn't come with a race change

You don't really get a "free" life doing this, you lose whatever life you currently have to do this.
    Mellkor Wizard, Culpepper Cleric, Coyle Warlock, Anarion Mechanic Archer, Ungoliant, Assassin, Tulkas Astaldo Vanguard Pally,
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I actually had a whole thread on this a while ago - you don't need the stone.

What they told me for a repeater-centric life, go 6 articer/6 ranger/8 whatever. Between the arty/ranger levels you've got everything you need to blaze through a life, the other 6 don't matter.

I would save the stone for when you want to play a particular class at 20 but don't want to play for 1-19. Level up as whatever else you want THEN re-level to that. That's my current idea :P too bad it doesn't come with a race change
    That's true and I might do that. I TR slowly enough that this is some time away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    You don't really get a "free" life doing this, you lose whatever life you currently have to do this.
    Yes, that's obvious. If I do a 4th pure artificer life then it would be "wasted" if I TR'd, therefore switching to another class followed by an immediate TR makes that past life "free".