Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Here, there, where

Ever notice these three words, relating to location, include the word 'here'?

This can make it easier to remember the difference between there, their, and they're.

If we mean location, we use 'there'.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Ever notice these three words, relating to location, include the word 'here'?

This can make it easier to remember the difference between there, their, and they're.

If we mean location, we use 'there'.
    The internet, forum posting, blogging, and phone texting have been the death of spelling. It used to be that school teachers actually took marks off for bad spelling. In most cases they're not even ALLOWED to do that anymore, in some cases the teachers are poor spellers themselves. In the US it's pretty common to see things like "thru" and "lite" etc. so not only is bad spelling ignored, it's even encouraged.

Expecting to see proper spelling and grammar on the forums or in game like tilting at windmills.

p.s. Rouge.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    The internet, forum posting, blogging, and phone texting have been the death of spelling. It used to be that school teachers actually took marks off for bad spelling. In most cases they're not even ALLOWED to do that anymore, in some cases the teachers are poor spellers themselves. In the US it's pretty common to see things like "thru" and "lite" etc. so not only is bad spelling ignored, it's even encouraged.

Expecting to see proper spelling and grammar on the forums or in game like tilting at windmills.

p.s. Rouge.
    Funny, I never pictured you wearing makeup.

I only put up this tip for those who might be interested in another way to tell the difference. In the fora, I would figure most people have a decent keyboard and time to type well, but I know there are people who are rushed or post from phones, too.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Does lose and loose fit here?

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Does lose and loose fit here?
    Do you mean, do they fit here?
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member

Default ow ow ow stop!

So a local university has an English professor who has dubbed herself "the militant grammerian". She gave numerous example of incorrect use of to/too in her freshman English class.
    Unpossible! How can college freshman not know which form to use? I think it has to be lazyness. You are smarter than a 5th grader just not as motivated

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Young people these days /sigh

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
    It's definitely an N-word.

i iz juzt annothur brillyunt mined diztroied bye tha publike ejukashun sistum.
    "I gots me a bad feeling about this..."

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. There is a distinct difference between a typo or occasional grammatical error and the act of going out of the way to spell all sorts of words wrong on purpose. "u" in place of "you" is my personal pet peeve. For right or wrong, I make mental assumptions about a person based on their spelling and grammar. If that's all I have to go by, which is often the case in an online game like DDO, then I form a mental picture of the person and their mannerisms by how they act in text. If someone wants me to think they are an 8 year old, then the use of "u" in place of "you" is a good place to start. Using it more than 4 or 5 times in a single sentence usually causes my brain to go into safety mode and I squelch immediately.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Txtng is killing language
    As non native English speaker I try to talk and type "properly" but any assumptions about someone's intelligence or age based on their way of talking or use of profanities is really too old fashioned in our times.
    Or maybe not.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Txtng is killing language
    As non native English speaker I try to talk and type "properly" but any assumptions about someone's intelligence or age based on their way of talking or use of profanities is really too old fashioned in our times.
    Or maybe not.
    If someone can type "u" they can learn to type "you". They choose not to. They are making a choice to look unintelligent to a small subset of old school people like myself. If it doesn't bother them, no worries. If it does bother them, they can choose to squelch me or type actual words.

I try not to discriminate based on language capabilities. Non-English speakers should not be expected to be perfect, nobody should. I have a great amount of respect for people that try their hardest. It's those that are capable, but choose not to do so that bother me the most.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Default Just trying to find a post

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post

p.s. Rouge.
    All of the professors in my MS program took off for spelling and grammar and for using internet text shortcuts in papers. I do admit to being lazy here sometimes but when I do something for work or a more professional environment I do make sure to take my time and do it right. Here I don't care to take the time nor do I care if others do or not. Here sometimes its not a matter of people doing it lazily its that English isn't their native language and they are doing the best that they can.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Hah! I have noticed that many ESL students tend to speak and write English better than the average native speaker.

In the fora
    Since this is a spelling/grammar thread, it's worth pointing out that "forums" is the preferred usage in English. On a related note, the plural of bonus is bonuses. There is no such word as "boni" in the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Here I don't care to take the time nor do I care if others do or not. Here sometimes its not a matter of people doing it lazily its that English isn't their native language and they are doing the best that they can.
    ESL is absolutely worth making allowances, but other than that I have a rule that has served me well over the years: The amount of care taken in presenting an idea reflects the amount of thoughtfulness that went into the idea itself.

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Language continually changes and evolves however annoying that may be.

The fact that America has a separate American English dictionary to British English highlights this.

Thou shalt capitulate
    Last edited by Dexraven; 02-26-2014 at 05:20 AM.
    Leader of the Unearthed Arcana

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Since this is a spelling/grammar thread, it's worth pointing out that "forums" is the preferred usage in English. On a related note, the plural of bonus is bonuses. There is no such word as "boni" in the English language.
    Preferred by whom, and where?

ESL is absolutely worth making allowances, but other than that I have a rule that has served me well over the years: The amount of care taken in presenting an idea reflects the amount of thoughtfulness that went into the idea itself.
    Agreed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dexraven View Post
    Language continually changes and evolves however annoying that may be.

The fact that America has a separate American English dictionary to British English highlights this.

Thou shalt capitulate
    Language evolving, I accept.

Language degenerating, I reject.

Community Member

Anyone else have mnemonics or examples that may make it easier to remember which "version" of a word is the right one to use?

For example:

affect v. effect

to, too, two ( two is spelled with double-u, and double = 2)

allusion v. illusion

usw.
    Last edited by Tscheuss; 02-26-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Preferred by whom, and where?
    English speakers in standard usage. "Preferred" is a pretty common term in dictionaries when discussing multiple pluralizations. "Forums" is the preferred term in standard English usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast