Community Member

Default DDO on a plasma TV: Results? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Buying a new TV soon and thinking about trying to play DDO on a much larger screen than my trusty monitor. I've read that plasma handles fast action such as sports and video games better than LEDs. Wondering if some of you play DDO on TV's and what your experience has been like.

Thanks!

Malice
    Clay
    Everyone on Xoriat loves one another and its like when you are in grade 1 and you really like that girl, but you don't want her to know so you push her off the jungle gym...and she lands on her head...and gets knocked out...and the teacher has to take her to the infirmary...and you get the belt because they thought you were being mean when really you just really really like her.

So it is Love, actually.
    Rayzor
    But let me tell you...your capital letters scared the hell out of me./shaking!!

I can't speak to the newer plasmas, but the old plasma tvs used to suffer from burn in pretty severly. Static images like the HUD and tool bars would become "etched" into the screen due to the long duration of being on screen. I personally have not found the LEDs to be bad at all. Mine refreshes at 120hz and looks flawless on my PS3, though I'm not sure what the response time is or whether response time even matters for consoles. I still play DDO on my LCD monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormanne View Post
    I can't speak to the newer plasmas, but the old plasma tvs used to suffer from burn in pretty severly. Static images like the HUD and tool bars would become "etched" into the screen due to the long duration of being on screen. I personally have not found the LEDs to be bad at all. Mine refreshes at 120hz and looks flawless on my PS3, though I'm not sure what the response time is or whether response time even matters for consoles. I still play DDO on my LCD monitor.
    The newer ones don't suffer from it that badly, at least the ones I've seen/owned (the burn effect still occurs, but it disappears after some minutes/a couple of hours).

OP: I think it depends on WHERE you're going to place the TV. If playing on a living room, you'll probably sit far away from the screen (making chat hard to read), and mouse/keyboard placement/position may become problematic as well. If you can avoid these issues, it may turn out to be a pleasant experience.

Plasma screens haven't suffered from burn in 10 or more years. LCDs with 120 Hz or better refresh rate will handle fast video updates just fine. Look for one, plasma or LCD, that has any additional features you want; WiFi, USB, Netflix/Hulu support, etc. There's practically no difference in either technology as far as playing games is concerned.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Default DDO on Plasma

Speaking from experience here.
    I have a HTPC set up for my 55" Plasma. I did install DDO on it and played a bit. It is very smooth and great when you have it set up for 7.1 surround sound.
    The only drawbacks that I can say I experienced was small font size. Unless you are hitting up a low resolution like 1024x768 it is hard to read. Unless of course you are sitting fairly close. I kept about a 6 foot distance away.

Overall though it was a positive experience. Never had to worry about burn in since most Plasma TV's have a feature to prevent burn in and if you do get it, another feature to remove it.

I get asked this a lot in my store, general rule is monitors don't make good tv's and vice versa, there is a lot of arguments for both sides however, so it really comes down to personal preference.

@sebastianosmith plasma do still retain images, just the technology to remove the burn-in has gotten better. Plasma manufacturers have tried various ways of reducing burn-in such as using gray pillarboxes, pixel orbiters and image washing routines, but none to date have eliminated the problem and all plasma manufacturers continue to exclude burn-in from their warranties.
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Community Member

Default 52'' lcd

I play on a 52'' lcd, about 2 foot from screen, I love it personally. I can actually use my peripheral vision when I play, adds to immersion for me.

Also, if you line your hotbars along the outside of the screen the viewing are is fantastic. Im sure plasma would be similar but ive heard they don't last anywhere near as long, im no expert on tvs tho.

Community Member

I bought a Samsung Plasma 50" in 2007.

I was told there is no burn in. Not true. Ok. They say that because burn in is permanent and ghosting is not, but it is still a pain especially the first few months you have a plasma. I did the research before and read there was no burn in with pixel shifting and blah blah blah.

My family watched regular square 4:3 TV on the plasma for 2 weeks. The left and right sides of the screen were black for 2 weeks because the TV is rectangular and regular TV is square. That means the pixels were off for 2 weeks straight mostly to the right and left of the center square area of the screen. When they were turned on/used as a rectangular screen the the left and right areas of the screen were ***a lot brighter*** than the center square of the screen. I could not get them to blend in with the center that was on all the time. I saw screen savers on the tv, but there was nothing in the manual how to use them. Only that burn in is not covered under warrantee. I called Samsung and they told me to bring the tv in to a shop. I got annoyed and told them I am not moving this 80# to a shop. Plus they have to be shipped and moved carefully. Plasmas must stay vertical during moving and shipping because if you hit a bump in your car and they are laying flat they could break and leak.

I got a supervisor at Samsung then a lvl2 tech that told me to use the sliding screen saver black to grey to white for 2 hours then the solid white for 2 hours. I saw an improvement. Then did it for 4 hours and 4 hours and it was better. Then I read on the net to let it snow on the screen for a few hours. I disconnect the ANT and let it snow overnight. The pixels on the outside left and right of the screen blended finally with the center of the screen that was used more.

You see....

When a Plasma is new think of it as at 120% of its brightness. Over the first 100 to 200 hours it loses 20% and then levels off mostly to last years. So if the pixels stay black they are off and not used and brighter than pixels that are on all the time. It is like a break in period. I would say that for every hour in the beginning of a plasma's life that a pixel is off (black) it needs to be on that an hour to blend back in . After the first 200 hours this is less noticeable and easier to get blended in. So even a Plasma that is a few years old will have ghosting with still images.

So you see for me it was a pain in the arse, but with some research deeper on the net I figured it out.

Plasmas are great for live sports and live tv. The speed and picture is still IMHO better than most LCDs and LEDs of the same size for live tv even today. Plasma's are 600hz in speed. For the wall street stock ticker on 24 hours a day is a bad idea for a plasma. TV Station Icons in the same spot are not good, so just change the zoom if you have black pixels all the time or still images. It is 720p and still nicer for live tv than my LED 1080p.

For animations and computer games LCDs and LEDs can not be beat. The colors are richer and the speed is fine. For LCD/LED TVs 42" or less 60hz is ok. For LCD/LED TVs under 50" 60hz is ok, but 120hz helps. 50"-60" the min is 120hz for me. I have a 60" that is 120hz with 1080p,but I would have preferred 240hz if it was not twice the money at the time. >60" you need 240hz IMHO. The big thing for computer games is the tv resolution. I owned a 720p tv 26 inches. It seemed great when I got it. I loved the size and only paid $220 3-4 years ago. It was refurbished. 26' Monitors where $450 at the time. The RGB jack went bad so I use HDMI for it now.

I bought a 27 inch off brand computer monitor that is on 1920x1080 and it is amazing. Better on my eyes close up than the 26" 720p LCD TV. I got it for $240 and have seen them cheaper than that.

The LED 60" TV is just as good for games. I got it on sale 2 years ago for $1200. The monitor is slightly better, but just because it is smaller.
    My LED 60" sharp 120hz 1080p is amazing with the computer games and the xbox. The animation movies are beautiful too. However, the live tv is still better on my Samsung 50" Plasma at 720p IMHO.

This stuff is even cheaper now. I would not recommend a Plasma for the computer. However they are cheaper. You may just have to let it snow on the screen for a few hours once in a while though and don't use it for still images or constant black areas the first 100-200 hours. Ie. square tv black bars on the left and right, or 2.40:1 movies with black bars on the top and bottom. So zoom in to turn the pixels on for the break in period the first 100 hours or so.

As for the life of a Plasma vs. an LED it does not matter. It is bullsh!t. My 6 year old Plasma looks better for live tv than my 2 year old LED. We are talking about 20 years vs. 30 years from what I researched. Does that really matter? When you will be replacing it in less than 15 years with something 5 times better and 5 times cheaper.

Also keep in mind that most TVs are the same stuff. Just read the reviews before you buy. A one year warantee from a good company that won't go out of business might be worth an extra couple of hundred dollars, but for TVs under $500 it might not matter.

*** The Salemen *** will make the screens look worst on TVs they don't make a lot of money on. You usually want the contrast up high and the brightness less. They do the opposite to make certain TVs look bad. There are also different modes like movie (dull), active contrast, film mode, game mode and dynamic that affect how the picture looks. They mess with it to make other TVs look better that they want to sell.

I went with a friend to a store and that is exactly what happened. They have the $500 tv with high contrast and less brightness. The $300 tv had the brightness all the way up and the contrast down. The salesman tried to use the remote, but I said I got this, and made the $300 tv look just like the $500 one. Just turned down the brightness and raised the contrast.

Now there is garbage out there. The big thing is that the audio needs to match up with the TV. Westinghouse was bad for this. Also if you watch Blu rays on an entertainment center home theater you need an amp with a sound delay feature that allows you to manually set the audio delay to slow down the audio, so that the sound matches with the lips of people talking. Most TVs slow down their own audio to match the video processing. You see the bigger the TV the slower the video gets processed than the audio signal. If you run one signal to the TV and the other to you home theater amp for true surround sound 5.1+ the audio out of the Amp will be faster than the TV and needs to be slowed down. The Sony Amp at the time had 60ms on and off. That was not enough of an audio delay. I like the Pioneer Amps for their Sound Delay manual adjustment and they are cheap enough. Walmart for under $250. The VSX-523k or 522k. 500ms seems enough from my Pioneers. I have 2. One is 500ms and one is 9fps or about 300ms equivalent. I have a Pioneer VSX921k 7.1 amp I got a good deal on for $250. I have not seen it cheaper than $400 since. You can run the audio from your TV to your AMP to solve this audio video lip sync problem, but you will not get DTS or true pure direct surround sound out of your 5.1/7.1 amp. It will be PCM and simulated.

And the most important thing........

Make sure your TV has a good zoom feature. I hate watching movies that do not fill my screen. 2.40:1 movies have black bars on the top and bottom. That is about 30% less screen area used. Blu rays are so sharp that zooming in is still really nice and even better using all the screen. My plasma did not do this and amp did not have sound delay till recently, so I did not buy blu rays. There was no lip sync problem on my regular DVD movies and I could zoom in using my Blu Ray player with DVD movies, but not for Blu rays. Well that LED TV zooms in much better than the DVD player did and it is after the blu ray resolution goes to the TV, so it is still really nice.

Last edited by firemedium_jt; 09-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.