Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bring Back Mari Mosshand

I don't understand why, if you are trying to make the harbor more friendly to new players, you would take away the NPC with a big smile and a checkmark on her head that gives you bags that you really need as a new player and instead make the bags simply appear in your backpack after getting specific but not in any way required quests granted.

Bring Mari Mosshand back! Heck, make her a kobold saga npc and have her sent you off to kill a few hundred kobolds in the sewers and reward you with some ooze beating equipment or something.

The "new harbor" is pretty backwards, all in all. We came in on a ship, but are dropped off at the lighthouse, with no sign of a boat in sight.

One of the only true-to-Eberron-lore quests, Recovering the Lost Tome, which occurs in the library housed in the ancient lighthouse, has been inexplicably moved to the Harbormaster's House.

I am trying to recruit a couple of new players. They liked Korthos but when we got to the harbor, it doesn't make sense. One has completely lost interest and the other humors me and logs in once a week, but it's definitely not the enthusiasm I hoped he would build for the game. The non-intuitiveness of the new harbor has really made it hard to get anyone hooked.

I figure someone at Turbine has a reason for it and thinks it is pretty awesome but from a new player's standpoint, it is confusing and off-putting, I don't expect it will get fixed, but for goodness sake, at least let new players get their bags from Mari!
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    I don't understand why, if you are trying to make the harbor more friendly to new players, you would take away the NPC with a big smile and a checkmark on her head that gives you bags that you really need as a new player and instead make the bags simply appear in your backpack after getting specific but not in any way required quests granted.

Bring Mari Mosshand back! Heck, make her a kobold saga npc and have her sent you off to kill a few hundred kobolds in the sewers and reward you with some ooze beating equipment or something.

The "new harbor" is pretty backwards, all in all. We came in on a ship, but are dropped off at the lighthouse, with no sign of a boat in sight.

One of the only true-to-Eberron-lore quests, Recovering the Lost Tome, which occurs in the library housed in the ancient lighthouse, has been inexplicably moved to the Harbormaster's House.

I am trying to recruit a couple of new players. They liked Korthos but when we got to the harbor, it doesn't make sense. One has completely lost interest and the other humors me and logs in once a week, but it's definitely not the enthusiasm I hoped he would build for the game. The non-intuitiveness of the new harbor has really made it hard to get anyone hooked.

I figure someone at Turbine has a reason for it and thinks it is pretty awesome but from a new player's standpoint, it is confusing and off-putting, I don't expect it will get fixed, but for goodness sake, at least let new players get their bags from Mari!
    /signed.

I had to explain to a guildie the other day that the true purpose of bags isn't to store ingredients and collectables you want to keep and use later, but to store ingredients and collectibles you don't want clogging up your inventory and requiring manual removal.

I am greatly amused about The Lost Tome being in the Harbormaster's House now. I am apparently so desensitized to quest context that it didn't even register to me that it was odd; just that it had moved!

My pet gripe with new harbor is Cartamon's location in the new harbor relative to where you start. It seems to suggest that the first quest of the chain, "Protect the Crate", should be attempted early upon arrival in Stormreach - instead of at Level 28 with full twists in a main destiny and full party.

It is nearly, I repeat nearly, as hard as "Redemption" now, and doubtless off-putting to new players.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    It is nearly, I repeat nearly, as hard as "Redemption" now, and doubtless off-putting to new players.
    Wow am I happy to hear a completionist say that. :-D I ran it the other day, and said "damn, I thought I was halfway decent at this game. watuff is this?!"

/signed

I even commented on this in the Lama forums back in the beta. It was in our guild "Message of the day" for a while too.

Default /signed

#BringMariBack is all i'm gonna say
    ~Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent.~

~ The Thieves Guild ~ Valentine 2011 <3 Most Romantic Guild

Community Member legendkilleroll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarDeRoam View Post
    #BringMariBack is all i'm gonna say
    Mari!!!

Yes bring back Mari mosshand :P

/Signed.

Altoholics need her back doing her job.

And give her a raise. Customer Service reps are always underappreciated.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Crucibles story lines are becoming popular these days.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

They really need to bring back Scarlet and put her in the harbor to greet the new sailors.

Sure, have them bring Mari back, but have her wash her hands first. Mossy hands are unhygienic.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Mari was sexy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post

I don't disagree with your main point. I see no way in which losing her improved the game. However:

- There's a boat right behind you at the lighthouse, with the NPC who takes you back to Korthos. IIRC she even explains why you landed by boat, if you talk to her.

- Many players, like me, don't know the first thing about "true Eberron lore", and wouldn't miss such a change. It never made sense to me that there was a library housed in the lighthouse. Not that the current location makes a ton of sense either, but I certainly don't think it's less sensible.

- From what Turbine has said, new players found the old Harbor layout confusing and off-putting, and there have been plenty of anecdotal stories about players who lost interest or failed to get hooked using the old layout. I suspect these issues have more to do with the gameplay than with the layout of the Harbor, TBH. But...

- At least the current layout does naturally lead the new player right up the dock to Baudry, for the first bag, and from there it's only a short distance to a mailbox, the hireling vendor, a trader, the trainers, and so on. I think it's clear they put some thought into the new introduction.

- OTOH, they also put the quest giver for level 3 Kobold Assault right next door! Kinda dumb, and there was no reason whatever to move him from his old home, imo. So I'm certainly not claiming the new layout is perfect!

- And it's amusing that they made Fitzpat the person who gives the gem bag, when his gems don't go into it! I definitely agree there was a better way to handle the blue bags.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    My pet gripe with new harbor is Cartamon's location in the new harbor relative to where you start. It seems to suggest that the first quest of the chain, "Protect the Crate", should be attempted early upon arrival in Stormreach - instead of at Level 28 with full twists in a main destiny and full party.

I don't agree with this. Most new players are going to run it at Normal difficulty, and it's really not that hard on Normal, any more than Redemption is. I only ran it once on Normal since the update, but do not recall having any particular trouble with it. The same toon, an ungeared 28-pointer on my second account, also ran Redemption on Normal without difficulty.

Now, when he went back and tried to run Redemption on Elite, the end fight kicked his rear across the room. And I'm sure the Baudry quest would also, on Elite.

Driftwood........is that going to be the new slang for adventurer in Stormreach? We are all so poor and lowely that we can't even get our transport to drop us off at the docks we have to swim the last part? lol.

If there are any aquatic predators around they should all hang off the lighthouse like sharks off a seal colony lol.

/signed.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Driftwood........is that going to be the new slang for adventurer in Stormreach? We are all so poor and lowely that we can't even get our transport to drop us off at the docks we have to swim the last part? lol.

If there are any aquatic predators around they should all hang off the lighthouse like sharks off a seal colony lol.
    In real life, instead of jumping in the water, you could just run along the dock like the other refugees/immigrants do. ;>)
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Question

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    In real life, instead of jumping in the water, you could just run along the dock like the other refugees/immigrants do. ;>)

How the hell am I suppose to give customs and immigration the slip that way?

I kinda like the new layout, but I suspect the Leaky Dingy will have to go out of business. There is no real reason to go over there anymore. If not for Osgood's Basement, no one would ever go over that way anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I kinda like the new layout, but I suspect the Leaky Dingy will have to go out of business. There is no real reason to go over there anymore. If not for Osgood's Basement, no one would ever go over that way anymore.
    On a side note, I wouldn't mind owning the Wayward Lobster Tavern. His business has grown so much, he had to add a second door to his Tavern.

How about you bring Mari back, have her give out all three bags AND offer some advice about navigating the harbor?
    Last edited by Galeria; 09-30-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast