Default Dexterity Tempest's normal damage range.

AT level 22 I'm doing 30-40 base damage and 50-60 against favoured enemies with scimitars. I know i need to concentrate on weapons with lots of effects but the base damage seems a bit low. My Wizard get's 20-30 with daggers and has no feats to help with melee. Power attack doesn't seem to be boosting damage either.

Is the correct or i have i missed something. My dex is as high as i can get it for now and weapons are always being collected. I have Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Improved Critical and Power critical, all the TWF feats.

Is this normal for dexterity Tempest?
    If real life had a block function i would probably go out more.

Well lets run the numbers and estimate lowish and see what we get.

Schimmy d6 so 3.5adv add 1w for 7
    +5 enc 12
    Say 16 starting dex +3 =15
    +5 dex for levels +2 more =17
    +7 item dex +4(with left over from level up) 21
    + 4 whirling blades tempest line =25
    +2 from 4dex enh (racial and ranger) 27
    Power attack +5 = 31
    +1-2 for tome =33
    Other misc 35ish.

Yeah sound like you are hitting about where you should be with a non super über min/maxed too.

Community Member

Some numbers for you to compare against...

I'm currently a level 13 dex based Tempest, with 11 Ranger / 1 Fighter / 1 Rogue, and a base damage about the same as yours of 30 - 40, using +3 scimitars, each with 1.5[1d6] base. I have +4 to damage from the Elven tree, +4 to damage from the Tempest tree, a dex of 32 (+11 modifier), power attack and a Deadly VI item. So total damage:

1-9 - base scimitar damage
    3 - weapon modifier
    4 - from Elven tree
    4 - from Tempest tree
    11 - from Dex
    5 - power attack
    6 - Deadly item
    -------
    34-42 Total

Going forward, I would expect to get Dex up another 10 by level 22 for another +5 damage, and be using +6 weapons for another +3; assuming Deadly doesn't go any higher I'll be looking at 42-50 base damage. Bear in mind though that this is on a multi-TR'd character with +4 tomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba_Lev View Post
    Power attack doesn't seem to be boosting damage either.
    I might be teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs here, so apologies if I am, but do you realise Power Attack (rather annoyingly) turns itself off each time you log out, even if only for a few seconds?

Anyway, I hope this helps you get your damage up a bit!

Community Member

AT level 22 I'm doing 30-40 base damage and 50-60 against favoured enemies with scimitars. I know i need to concentrate on weapons with lots of effects but the base damage seems a bit low. My Wizard get's 20-30 with daggers and has no feats to help with melee. Power attack doesn't seem to be boosting damage either.

Is the correct or i have i missed something. My dex is as high as i can get it for now and weapons are always being collected. I have Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, Improved Critical and Power critical, all the TWF feats.

Is this normal for dexterity Tempest?
    So, here's what I would expect from a dex scimitar build:
    1) elf
    2) starting dex 20 (18+elf bonus)
    3) +2 tome or better

dex at 22 = 20 + 4 enh + 2 tome (minimum) + 2 ship + 6 level up + 7 item + 1 exceptional = 42 (+16)
    bonuses:
    +16 - dex
    +4 - elf tree
    +4 - tempest tree
    +4 - kensei tree (you said you have weap spec which requires 4 ftr, so I'm assuming at least 4 ftr)
    +2 - rams might
    +2 - ship buff (bugbear)
    +2 - weap spec
    +6 - weapon enhancement
    +7 - base dice 2[d6]
    +6 - deadly VI item

= 53 base average damage NOT counting PA, which should take you to 58. With insightful item, +4 tome, yugo pot, drow scimitar, grt weap spec, centered with Dance of Flowers and improved PA you could be looking at 73.5 (74.5 with ins+3 and +8 item) and crit on 13-20. This assumes you can fit all the necessary enhancements, which would be tight but should be possible (assumes 12/6/2 ftr/rng/monk build, 71.5 on 11/8/1 rng/ftr/monk build which loses GWS). Even assuming my original #'s and 18 starting dex (10 build pts) you're looking at 57 avg with PA and a +6 lootgen weapon, assuming PA is working with dex builds (which it should). Even if you can't fit the full trees in and don't wear a deadly item, you should be looking at 48-50 minimum.

So in answer, yes-30-40 is very low. Perhaps you could give us more detail on your build?

Build is a Shadar-Kai 15 Ranger/4 Fighter/1 Rogue

Starting Stats 12, 20, 16, 10, 10, 6. Main stats all have a +3 tome. Currently using a GS Scimitar and have a +8 Dexterity Item and a +3 Insightful item.

No regular ship buffs or Yugo pots yet. Since capping the Primal Avatar ED my damage has gone up to 50-60 with criticals in the 300's.

Been told that having the Power Critical Feat was a waste, i don't know why though.

Feats are

WF Piercing
    WF Slashing
    WS Piercing
    WS Slashing
    Power Attack
    Power Critical
    Improved Critical
    all the TWF Feats

I haven't taken any of the epic feats as Dexterity.

Most of my enhancements points have been put into the Tempest Tree with Shadar-Kai being ignored. Most of the rest are in the Kensai tree except for 3 which are in Arcane Archer for infinite arrows. May try to juggle 3 points out to get another +1 Dex from Shadar-Kai tree.

Dex is 20 Base +4 Increase from levels +3 Tome +8 Item +3 Ins. Item +4 Enhancements, must be something else as my Dex if iRC is 44.

Should i my priority be maxing out dex? I can get another 3 from feats and enhancements but obviously that would eat 2 Feat slots.
    If real life had a block function i would probably go out more.

Community Member

Build is a Shadar-Kai 15 Ranger/4 Fighter/1 Rogue

Starting Stats 12, 20, 16, 10, 10, 6. Main stats all have a +3 tome. Currently using a GS Scimitar and have a +8 Dexterity Item and a +3 Insightful item.

No regular ship buffs or Yugo pots yet. Since capping the Primal Avatar ED my damage has gone up to 50-60 with criticals in the 300's.

Been told that having the Power Critical Feat was a waste, i don't know why though.

Feats are

WF Piercing
    WF Slashing
    WS Piercing
    WS Slashing
    Power Attack
    Power Critical
    Improved Critical
    all the TWF Feats

I haven't taken any of the epic feats as Dexterity.

Most of my enhancements points have been put into the Tempest Tree with Shadar-Kai being ignored. Most of the rest are in the Kensai tree except for 3 which are in Arcane Archer for infinite arrows. May try to juggle 3 points out to get another +1 Dex from Shadar-Kai tree.

Dex is 20 Base +4 Increase from levels +3 Tome +8 Item +3 Ins. Item +4 Enhancements, must be something else as my Dex if iRC is 44.

Should i my priority be maxing out dex? I can get another 3 from feats and enhancements but obviously that would eat 2 Feat slots.
    50-60 sounds pretty close to right in primal. You'll of course want to make fury your primary destiny and twist in the good stuff from primal/LD, etc. Do you have all of the other bonuses I listed as well?

As for dex, it's a good idea so long as you aren't gimping anything else to get there. since you use it for hit, damage, reflex, and AC it a very good stat for you. You can squeeze in 2 more with level bump at 24 and 1 more enhancement. You can squeeze in another 2 with +4 tome and +1 exceptional. You can free up the enhancement with your final level up at 28. But 44 is good for the moment. It would also help to get you a drow scimitar, or a good lootgen mauling scimy. But for now let's focus on your other damage bonuses, like I laid out in my previous post.
    Last edited by Inoukchuk; 10-03-2013 at 10:57 AM.