Default Nearly One Year and Still Mostly Confused/Mystified!!

Firstly this is not a rant/turbine bashing thread. I am approaching my one year anniversary and finally have a toon nearly at lvl 28, I love the game but still feel I have not even scratched the surface of what is possible. I know there have been a lot of changes in the last year and maybe this is not helping me....the new loot confuses the hell out of me.... too many choices! I am intending to TR my Drow wizard probably within the next week. I thought I had the TR thing understood and then I read a thread, I think the title was something like 'Things to do before you TR'....Oh my god....WHAT!! However let me get to the point, I read the forums every day and always failed to understand why people get so upset about things not working, not anymore, my Drow Racial Tree messes up every time I level an ED, trying to work out what effects stack and which don't when some of these effects do not work(or appear not to) and today the second lvl core enhancement of the Fatesinger ED tree(YUK) which states all stats get +1 except Con and Charisma, so why has my con increased by one?(not sure about charisma, don't know what it was before, lol). I can't believe I'm going to say this but I prefered the before U19 game, I have an understanding of D&D, this is beginning to bear no resemblance to it. I am sure I will suss all the strange mechanics out eventually and I am not even considering quiting BUT I have a 17yr old gaming addict who will not play this game because 1/'it's stupid' and 2/'broken' First point well he's 17, second point, he's not wrong!!
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

That's why this game has so much potential, because it's deep. You can pick it up and play a low level reasonably well without too much training or experience, but as you gain levels it gets more complicated.

This is also part of the issue with the bugs. There are so many micro-interactions between bits of code involving gear, spells, characters, environment, and monsters that it makes it very easy for bugs to surface.

Your 17 yo is not wrong, but he's also missing the potential. Not unusual for a younger person as they tend to be quick to judge and even quicker to move on to something else.

Those of us who still love to play in spite of the problems can see that there's nothing else quite like this game. And we're probably gluttons for punishment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    That's why this game has so much potential, because it's deep. [...]
    Those of us who still love to play in spite of the problems can see that there's nothing else quite like this game. And we're probably gluttons for punishment as well.
    /agree

I am not saying that I love pain and challenge, but playing a Wizard/Pale Master at level 27+ got me thinking. I recently swapped out Insightful Reflexes for Mental Toughness for the extra 300 (stacking with Endless Faith) spell points and critical chance. Big mistake. Now, whichever boss/monsters that cast Sun Burst can get her for 600+ points of light damage. Ouch!

As to the OP: DDO is a thinking game with strategy, team work and sometimes puzzles, not just FPS hack and slash.
    Some of the places also have good scenery and back ground story.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

You're one up on me, I've been playing almost six years and only just recently got my first toon past level ten!

I love how involved the game is. I do see your point in it getting further and further away from the worthwhile iterations of D&D with every update, but the sense of fun and discovery remains. Hopefully they'll iron out the maddening little wrinkles that pop up (ahem hirelings and companions) but all in all I am happy to pay my sub every year.

The TR checklist was intimidating for me as well and frankly made me kinda happy that I'd never be high enough level for it to even be a consideration.
    Last edited by enochiancub; 09-27-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: edited due to poor English

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by xXbikergirlXx View Post
    I thought I had the TR thing understood and then I read a thread, I think the title was something like 'Things to do before you TR'....Oh my god....WHAT!!
    I skimmed that thread long ago and my eyes glazed over. It's way over the top. My tr checklist is as follows:

• Stock up on Deneith Sturdy Arrows if next life uses bows.
    • Stock up on favor marks (mark of house c, mark of sf, mark of yugo)
    • Get to the next even 100 Favor for TP if within 50
    • Gather all "storage" items from alts to put in tr cache
    • Stock up on potions and scrolls since have better haggle before TR

my tr check list is:

make any greensteel i might need (easy enough to do with a few shroud flagged epic toons)
    get tr heart
    empty tr cache
    tr

lol, I'm a lazy tr prepper
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kierg10 View Post
    my tr check list is:

make any greensteel i might need (easy enough to do with a few shroud flagged epic toons)
    get tr heart
    empty tr cache
    tr

Mine's even shorter, it's just

get tr heart
    empty tr cache
    tr

If you need uber gear and stacks of expensive favor-based items on your next life, it's gimp. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    Mine's even shorter, it's just

get tr heart
    empty tr cache
    tr

If you need uber gear and stacks of expensive favor-based items on your next life, it's gimp. :P

greensteel makes tr lives more fun
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

The TR checklist is fine and all, but remember, you capped that character just fine on your first life with probably none of that stuff.

As for the complaints about the game, I would have preferred to get the enhancement update last year instead of epic destinies. I always think it's silly to complain about things that are clearly permanently part of the game, but I'll indulge myself and do it anyway; I'm not a fan of the fact that such a large portion of characters' effectiveness comes from a system (epic destinies) that I have very little attachment to. The whole epic destinies system feels very un-D&D to me.

On the other hand, I still enjoy playing the game, especially after the enhancement update. If they continue tweaking and balancing the destinies, it will make the whole system a bit more enjoyable for me.

Community Member

I too read the Ultimate TR guide spent a month dithering then took the plunge. Just DO IT, Sure it may/will take time to get back to level 20+ but the extra xp needed for your 2nd life is easy.
    Obviously having friends/guild/Elite streaks/xp-tome/xp-pots makes it quicker but not necessary.
    Read this much simpler tr guide :-)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/TR#True_Reincarnation

I've been playing 2 1/2 yrs or so and have a 3rd lfe and 2 x 2nd life tr's so know nothing. I find it a struggle at times but still finding new magic/quests/zergs/friends/everything.
    You could spend a month reading what to do, or just dive off the cliff into the big world of DDO.

What i like so far about TR-ing
    Getting to use those magic items you found and stashed away AT LEVEL.
    Bothering to find out what those marks/sigil/crystal disc's/etc are actually used for. http://ddowiki.com/page/Dark_Blue_Ioun_Stone
    Doing the quests you missed last time
    Discovering why you missed those quests last time again
    Finding the few high xp quests to get you over the 'i just wanna level' moments
    With 13 million+ heroic xp i just want MORE
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kierg10 View Post
    my tr check list is:

get tr heart
    empty tr cache
    tr

Must be nice.

My checklist is much more OCD.

Organize all my inventory by type, the alphabetical order, then do the same with ALL of my bags...
    The make sure my bank is in the right order for my TR chache.
    Then empty my shared bank and get rid of all my half used stacks of consumables.

Finish all my raid completions to get my 20th/40th/60th/etc. rewards lists.
    Make any GS I may need in my next life.
    Stock up on Haste/Rage/Death Ward/GH/ pots.

Use all of my Small/Medium Dragon Shards and grab all my XP pots and set them in my shared bank in order from least to greatest.
    Get the next favor reward if I'm within 100 points for the TP.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Red face

Firstly this is not a rant/turbine bashing thread. I am approaching my one year anniversary and finally have a toon nearly at lvl 28, I love the game but still feel I have not even scratched the surface of what is possible.
    Gratz on 1 year playing! The great part of this game, for me, is the detail and complexity. The learning curve helped keep it interesting for me.

I know there have been a lot of changes in the last year and maybe this is not helping me....the new loot confuses the hell out of me.... too many choices!
    Choice is good, no?

I am intending to TR my Drow wizard probably within the next week. I thought I had the TR thing understood and then I read a thread, I think the title was something like 'Things to do before you TR'....Oh my god....WHAT!!
    Don't stress about that TR checklist too much. Most of it you can live without, but do give it a thorough read or two and look after anything that is important to you.

However let me get to the point, I read the forums every day and always failed to understand why people get so upset about things not working, not anymore, my Drow Racial Tree messes up every time I level an ED, trying to work out what effects stack and which don't when some of these effects do not work(or appear not to) and today the second lvl core enhancement of the Fatesinger ED tree(YUK) which states all stats get +1 except Con and Charisma, so why has my con increased by one?(not sure about charisma, don't know what it was before, lol). I can't believe I'm going to say this but I prefered the before U19 game, I have an understanding of D&D, this is beginning to bear no resemblance to it. I am sure I will suss all the strange mechanics out eventually and I am not even considering quiting BUT I have a 17yr old gaming addict who will not play this game because 1/'it's stupid' and 2/'broken' First point well he's 17, second point, he's not wrong!!
    Nobody likes bugs (except the exterminators), and this game has a LOT of them. I've been lucky enough, or relaxed enough, to be able to play despite the bugs. I hope things improve for you. I'm confident they will.

EDIT: Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions (advice channel or in a group). There are lots of nice people willing to answer questions, and it's a great way to learn.
    Last edited by TBot1234; 09-27-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood