Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Community Member

Keeping your Heal skill up for a Barbarian with a Cleric splash is simplicity itself, as Barbarians get four base skill points per level and taking Cleric lets you train Heal as high as any class skill, even if you have to pay double for it. So, while I still don't care for the notion, that's not really much of a downside (and certainly not compared to UMDing wands, as the cleric levels let you use all cure wands without failure anyways. It's the inability to UMD scrolls that's the loss.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    for a 28 point build, you couldn't possibly have had those stats. more like 14 str and 12 con. your post holds no bearing for the purpose of this thread.
    What? Why not?

16 STR
    8 Dex
    14 Con
    14 Int
    8 Wis
    14 Cha

That's definitely a 28 point human build.

If you decide to go Halfling for the extra selfhealing then you end up with 14 STR and 10 Dex.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    Keeping your Heal skill up for a Barbarian with a Cleric splash is simplicity itself, as Barbarians get four base skill points per level...
    Three, if you dump INT as I'm sure a lot of pure/18 barbs do. And that means you get Jump and Heal, and that's it - no Balance, for instance, or Intim if you wanted to play with friends.

Not impossible, but it would involve a tradeoff to get DH.

Community Member

Another potential option rarely mentioned (probably because I'm the only crazy person who'd use it) is a deep Wizard splash, up to 9 levels (or 10 on a Barb or other class that comes before Wizard on the TR PL pecking order).

You get to be a Vampire, which comes with a negative level to enemies on vorpal hits (yay) and 300% light damage (boo). You get a pet to pull levers, and you can run through mid-level content pretty easily by taking all the Wizard levels first. With extend, Death Aura lasts a bit under 2 minutes and heals 2d4+5 per tick (after spell power and whatnot, we're talking perhaps ~20 hp per average tick every two seconds), and you cap out the caster levels on Negative Energy Burst (which is a decent emergency heal). This also comes with immunities to a lot of things, including practical immunity to most beholder attacks, access to a decent variety of buffs (Shield/Nightshield, 30 pt Jump, 20 pt resists, Blur, Displacement, a 1 SP Invisibility SLA from AM, Knock for any low-DC chests/doors, Rage, Haste, Fire Shield) and some weak Niac's/Eladar's dots.

You can also sacrifice the damage from T5 Barb enhancements and take the T5 PM enhancements to get the vampirism effect and only 200% light damage, so you could, you know, not die as soon as you step into Running With The Devils.

Maybe not ideal for everybody, but as a person that likes playing casters more than melee... this is probably the route I'll go.

Also, the T4 Warpriest ability Ameliorating Strike (1d2 per character level healing buffed by spell power and lesser restore upon hit with Smite Foe) will work while raged, so if you want to be not-crazy-like-me, there's more self-healing available from a low-level Cleric (or FvS) splash while raged.

Community Member

I play a first life 12Wiz/8Mnk that was built following the guidelines from this post.

Using that build with certain gear modifications I can self buff to 957HP. With temp HP's from items, I am able to get to over 1kHP. I have decent self healing and can crit for near 400 on Negative Energy burst and my aura's tick heal at a decent rate. Gear (this includes a +5 supreme tome) makes all the difference in the world. With having under 1k mana, getting mana to regen is especially important. To do this, I use con-opp goggles at all times and a Torc that I swap out with a Deadly neck item. For increased mana regen, I also equip two con-opp kama's when I need to get mana capped faster.

One point of note is that it has taken forever to get some of this gear and my Torc and Demonic Bracers aren't even epic. I do have a second of the Torc and bracers though, so I can safely epic each item.

Community Member

Just to update.

I've started a doc outlining healing options on all classes, with suggestions for splashes and dilletantes. It's going to take me a while to get it to a reasonable format, considering that it strays deeply into multiclassing which for a new player can be a bit hairy.

Not forgetting, and the info in this thread is invaluable....thank you all

Aes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Halfling - Healing Dragon Mark Feat - Racial Enhancements - Will work for any class as long as the Race is Halfling and you take the Dragonmark Feat
    FYI - With the new enhancement system, you can get Heal around 6th level (or even earlier?) using halfling dragonmarks. Pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 10-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    Is it worth going 2 Cleric on a Barbarian for some Divine Healing and UMD-free wand waving? I'd say not, but you be the judge.
    If looking for UMD-free wand waving, I would (and did on my first barb) splash 1 level of ranger.

Favored enemy, some enhancements, Bow Strength, and the ability to use ranger wands.

The trick with barbs is to avoid damage.... not just charge in like... well, a barbarian...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

For my previous post, you could do that particular build using Half-Elf with Rogue dilettante for extra damage and UMD.

Another flavor on melee type is to use the monk/FVS, with Shintao/Ninja Spy/Warpriest enhancements. You get larger mana pool, blade barrier, and the heal skill isn't a cross-class skill as with the other build.

Update:

The possibilities with the beta enhancement tree for Eldritch Knight seem interesting. I haven't yet tested them but I will do so tonight. I'm curious to see how my HP/AC/PRR will fare testing them out. Unfortunately, you can't have two Tier 5 enhancements from two different trees, as a Tenser's Transformation toggle buff would be nice to have.

I will test out my build and report back. The only crappy part about Lamma land is that they don't wipe toons after releasing an update. If you get gear upgrades on live and want to re-copy your updated toon, you can't. It would be nice though.
    Last edited by Kers; 10-14-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Community Member

I wish they allowed you to overwrite your Lamma toon with your current live toon.

As a 18wiz/2mnk/8epic, and minus the improved shrouding enhancement and replacing it with Tenser's Transformation, was an even trade-off. I still get the PM enhancements and the negative energy healing, the wand and scroll mastery greatly improved the amount of healing from the inflict pot line for that extra healing burst. Since pots aren't affected by the slower cooldown that Tenser's imposes, this is a big help. DPS-wise, having a perma-boost of your BAB being at lvl cap, this is a pretty big boon and mana saver. This should work out nicely for any caster class that can use that extra mana savings for healing.

Considering I didn't have my gear set that I currently have on live, I wasn't able to get a good feel for the melee boosts. Though with the EE Thunder and Lightning, I was pulling low triple-digit hits a fair bit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234