Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    OK, so with Barb, we're almost backed into a corner.

Let's talk about Healing Amplfication (Hamp)...

Anyone want to kick off?

Aes.
    Yeah it's why most players hate playing a barb and get any barb lives done first on toons they roll up.

as far as healing amp there is

pally past lives
    human enhancments
    helf enhancements
    monk enhancements (shintao)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Fleshshaper%27s_Brigandine
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Finger_Necklace
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragontouched_Armor
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Gloves_of_the_Claw
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Purple_Dragon_Gauntlets
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Incredible_Potential
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Wall_of...%28Level_24%29 (multiple min level versions available)

There used to be convalecent on bracers and armor but u19 got rid of it it seems.

While I know you are not looking for Epic Feats and Twists, there are the following that can also be helpful.

1. Halfling - Healing Dragon Mark Feat - Racial Enhancements - Will work for any class as long as the Race is Halfling and you take the Dragonmark Feat
    2. Half-Elf - Dilettante Feat of Cleric/FvS requires either a 13 Wisdom (cleric) or 13 Charisma (fvs) works will with builds that don't have UMD as an option but does need spending in the Racial Tree for APs
    3. Past Life Cleric Active Feat - 5 Healing Word casts per rest. These do become more powerful as you level but may also need investment with Maximize/Empower/Empower Healing to get big healing ( 1d4 hit points plus an additional 1d4 per two caster levels) - This is not available until Level 3, so levels 1-2 will still need other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Yeah it's why most players hate playing a barb and get any barb lives done first on toons they roll up.
    Relevant note: for TR, just to get a past-life, some people who don't prefer barb can take the class equal or more levels than another preferred class. Even 9 barb/9 fighter/2 rogue should give a Barb past-life because it is alphabetically first in the list. Those who don't feel comfortable with this class can get their past-life a bit easier this way.
    -------------------
    Anatir the Wild Man - Pure Barbarian
    Baldornix Magnus - Paladin 1st Life, Bard 2nd Life
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by smckelv View Post
    Relevant note: for TR, just to get a past-life, some people who don't prefer barb can take the class equal or more levels than another preferred class. Even 9 barb/9 fighter/2 rogue should give a Barb past-life because it is alphabetically first in the list. Those who don't feel comfortable with this class can get their past-life a bit easier this way.
    Very true just didn't want to get too much into that in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Wrt to monk healing, from my other posts some forum posters can probably see that I am having difficulties with this as a new monk player. The CD on Light Ki-strike is quite long, and the finisher requires Ki to activate. The payback seems quite small. Maybe I am too low level to appreciate how effective it can be?

A discussion about Healing Amplification could be in order.
    The breakdown on light monk self-healing:

Fists of Light - once activated, it applies a 'healing shield' to the enemy which lasts for approximately 10 seconds and heals you and any allies within a small radius for 1-2 hit points per strike. This is NOT affected by anything except your personal healing amplification. Monk 3 or Monk 20, it heals 1-2 hit points, sans healing amp. The cooldown for Fists of Light is only 3 seconds, meaning you can spam it to your heart's content, as long as you are generating ki. Fists of Light doesn't scale with your level, but does greatly benefit from your healing amplification.

Once you hit 150% healing amp, FoL will now heal you for 1-3 hit points per strike. At 200% amplification, this increases again to 2-4 hit points per strike. 250% is 2-5 hps, 300% is 3-6, etc, etc. The more healing amp you have, the better your FoL performs.

Healing Ki finisher - after 3 successful strikes of Fists of Light, the finishing move activates, allowing you to 'cast' the ability. It heals for 1d4 hps, plus 1d4 per 2 monk levels. Though it is NOT a healing spell, it does mimic the effects of a Mass Cure Light Wounds in many ways.
    It is affected by Positive Spellpower.
    It is affected by Healing Lore, and can produce a spell crit.
    It is affected by your healing amplification.
    It is NOT affected by any metamagic feats, such as Empower Healing Spell. You can't have an Empowered, Maximized, Quickened Healing Ki finisher since it only mimics the spell.
    The burst from Healing Ki does NOT damage undead monsters.

Prior to the enhancement pass, the Healing Ki finisher was triggered by any light monk strike (Tomb of Jade, etc), but now it only seems to work with the actual FoL strike.

While it might not seem like much, it is a rather powerful ability. At low levels, providing you can generate enough ki, you have an on-demand Vampirism effect and a small mass cure which can be used in combat simply for doing what you would be doing anyway, punching something. At higher levels with significant healing amplification, you can keep yourself topped off on a near-continuous basis, and fix larger amounts of spike damage with your finisher.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Very true just didn't want to get too much into that in this thread.
    I found a good mix of Bard and Barb worked - especially with the extra rage that the Warchanter brings to the table. Also pushing for more rages vs. longer rages helped to mitigate having to drop rages to cast/UMD. Songs could still be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I found a good mix of Bard and Barb worked - especially with the extra rage that the Warchanter brings to the table.
    Love it, not like: Love.

The OP mentioned class splashes to the main for self-healing....seems like that is a good option for him. From what I know, taking 11 levels of Barbarian is nearly as good as 20 levels anymore (post-u19)...especially if not building a "classic" Frenzy Barb or something. If the player splashes a bard class and simply doesn't Barbr rage as much (uses Bard Skaldic rage some) then we have a self-healing barbarian TR option.
    Last edited by smckelv; 09-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    -------------------
    Anatir the Wild Man - Pure Barbarian
    Baldornix Magnus - Paladin 1st Life, Bard 2nd Life
    Cannith

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

I know you are talking about barb in this example, but to clarify a little further, with even numbers of 2 classes its alphabetical for the original 9 classes. The classes added after would be in order and they arent alphabetical. Best to check wiki if you had say a 9 monk/9 fighter/2 rogue split.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyputrid View Post
    The breakdown on light monk self-healing:

Fists of Light - once activated, it applies a 'healing shield' to the enemy which lasts for approximately 10 seconds and heals you and any allies within a small radius for 1-2 hit points per strike. This is NOT affected by anything except your personal healing amplification. Monk 3 or Monk 20, it heals 1-2 hit points, sans healing amp. The cooldown for Fists of Light is only 3 seconds, meaning you can spam it to your heart's content, as long as you are generating ki. Fists of Light doesn't scale with your level, but does greatly benefit from your healing amplification.

Once you hit 150% healing amp, FoL will now heal you for 1-3 hit points per strike. At 200% amplification, this increases again to 2-4 hit points per strike. 250% is 2-5 hps, 300% is 3-6, etc, etc. The more healing amp you have, the better your FoL performs.

Healing Ki finisher - after 3 successful strikes of Fists of Light, the finishing move activates, allowing you to 'cast' the ability. It heals for 1d4 hps, plus 1d4 per 2 monk levels. Though it is NOT a healing spell, it does mimic the effects of a Mass Cure Light Wounds in many ways.
    It is affected by Positive Spellpower.
    It is affected by Healing Lore, and can produce a spell crit.
    It is affected by your healing amplification.
    It is NOT affected by any metamagic feats, such as Empower Healing Spell. You can't have an Empowered, Maximized, Quickened Healing Ki finisher since it only mimics the spell.
    The burst from Healing Ki does NOT damage undead monsters.

Prior to the enhancement pass, the Healing Ki finisher was triggered by any light monk strike (Tomb of Jade, etc), but now it only seems to work with the actual FoL strike.

While it might not seem like much, it is a rather powerful ability. At low levels, providing you can generate enough ki, you have an on-demand Vampirism effect and a small mass cure which can be used in combat simply for doing what you would be doing anyway, punching something. At higher levels with significant healing amplification, you can keep yourself topped off on a near-continuous basis, and fix larger amounts of spike damage with your finisher.

Hope that helps.
    More than helped. Exactly what the doctor ordered. Will put this into the edited OP.

Thanks

Aes.

Talking

I see this a lot in threads about barbs and umd. I just can't see the benefit for that. I can see the benefit for splashing 2 rogue levels for evasion. Here's why

If I were to have umd, chances are it would be enough for csw wands. Csw pots do the same thing in healing. You don't have to dismiss rage to drink pots. You don't have to switch from weapon to wands. When you dismiss rage you lower your con and str score and your will saves. With less than 18 levels of barb you get barb fatigue that you either wait for it to wear off that gives less in stat scores and you run slow or drink a lesser resto pot to get rid of it. Now i know people will say you dont need to max out str and con and can invest in more int for more skill points, but a barbarian is about destroying everything as quickly as possible. Higher umd for better scrolls and wands like blur and heal scrolls requires a lot of investment and you would need to dismiss rage every few minutes to recast these buffs since they only last about that long and heal scrolls are the same thing as switching to wands. I just don't see any real benefit for barbs and umd. Seems like people are better off playing a different class.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I just don't see any real benefit for barbs and umd. Seems like people are better off playing a different class.
    It's mostly for getting thru the past life.

Monk FoL will stack with wraps that have vampirism too. I was running solo in the wilderness area The High Road with no other healing needed (unless fighting a rare).

Community Member

Although resource and time intensive to acquire I found that a triple positive GS Greataxe valuable for subsequent Barb lives. (*)
    My 2nd tier choice was 20% Healing Amp:
    Great to equip vs undead due to the Improved Disruption and extra good Dmg.

If I'm using another weapon and HP becomes a concern it's there if I need to equip it for the healing amp.

(*) Although this is post-lvl12

Quote Originally Posted by casusbelli15 View Post
    Although resource and time intensive to acquire I found that a triple positive GS Greataxe valuable for subsequent Barb lives. (*)
    My 2nd tier choice was 20% Healing Amp:
    Great to equip vs undead due to the Improved Disruption and extra good Dmg.

If I'm using another weapon and HP becomes a concern it's there if I need to equip it for the healing amp.

(*) Although this is post-lvl12
    triple pos maul for undead is actually better than great axe because you can do more against undead like skeletons and liches.

Community Member

the helf dillys let you use wands and scrolls of the dilly type...cleric dilly was 95% heal scroll chance at max tier iirc ...fvs dilly had a lower success rate

9 Barb / 9 Druid / 2 Rogue <--- my current build for a Barb PL
    12 Barb / 5 Cleric / 3 Rogue <--- my next one

Both are Greataxe-wielding Dwarves.

The self-healing isn't GREAT on either option, but unless you're trying to solo-zerg, it's sufficient. Especially if you invest heavily in the Temp HP options from the Barbarian trees.

Also, a Pally Past Life or 3 goes a long way to improving these builds, as they both function with lots of baby heal amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I see this a lot in threads about barbs and umd. I just can't see the benefit for that. I can see the benefit for splashing 2 rogue levels for evasion. Here's why

If I were to have umd, chances are it would be enough for csw wands. Csw pots do the same thing in healing. You don't have to dismiss rage to drink pots. You don't have to switch from weapon to wands. When you dismiss rage you lower your con and str score and your will saves. With less than 18 levels of barb you get barb fatigue that you either wait for it to wear off that gives less in stat scores and you run slow or drink a lesser resto pot to get rid of it. Now i know people will say you dont need to max out str and con and can invest in more int for more skill points, but a barbarian is about destroying everything as quickly as possible. Higher umd for better scrolls and wands like blur and heal scrolls requires a lot of investment and you would need to dismiss rage every few minutes to recast these buffs since they only last about that long and heal scrolls are the same thing as switching to wands. I just don't see any real benefit for barbs and umd. Seems like people are better off playing a different class.
    100% on heal scrolls at lvl 13 (when i take 2nd rogue lvl), no fail on traps, non outstanding reflexes (at least can push a bit with uncanny) as being horc

also heal removes fatigue so the trouble is: can't use scrolls when raged, not strange, put expecting to heal with csw past lvl 12 is a good way to die, when u're dead ur dps is 0, and at most u would lose 1 hit/1 damage or 1hp/lvl

ppl use to end doing 9-9-2 and such stuff becaure they aren't capable of playing/building toons properly, the quickest wayh to kill something is with full hp, killing 1 mob before your rage fades and you die (because the amount you recover with a pot is less than the hp you loss due to the con loss) is an example of bad build toon

btw don't scroll blur, wear permablur

this life tried the same u say "barb is about killing things the faster you can" and that guy sucks, at lvl 5 died in depths chain because his reflexes suck and same on UMD, i would reroll it if it wasn't his 25th life, guess next one will have a playable barb, not a toon that spends most time being carried as a soul stone
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

For my Barb life on my TR toon I went with 11 Barb/7 Bard/2 Rogue, now yes this is a strange split due to casting but the simple answer to this is not to use Barb Rage at all (or rarely). Being able to cast Blue, Displacement, Rage and couple of low level heal spells were very handy for keeping me alive. It's not optimum by any means but for going from 1-20 to TR again it was worthwhile and made the life easier.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    100% on heal scrolls at lvl 13 (when i take 2nd rogue lvl), no fail on traps, non outstanding reflexes (at least can push a bit with uncanny) as being horc

also heal removes fatigue so the trouble is: can't use scrolls when raged, not strange, put expecting to heal with csw past lvl 12 is a good way to die, when u're dead ur dps is 0, and at most u would lose 1 hit/1 damage or 1hp/lvl

ppl use to end doing 9-9-2 and such stuff becaure they aren't capable of playing/building toons properly, the quickest wayh to kill something is with full hp, killing 1 mob before your rage fades and you die (because the amount you recover with a pot is less than the hp you loss due to the con loss) is an example of bad build toon

btw don't scroll blur, wear permablur

this life tried the same u say "barb is about killing things the faster you can" and that guy sucks, at lvl 5 died in depths chain because his reflexes suck and same on UMD, i would reroll it if it wasn't his 25th life, guess next one will have a playable barb, not a toon that spends most time being carried as a soul stone
    I would be interested to know how much Int and Cha you are investing. for barbs, umd is a cross class skill and only full point with rogue. with 2 levels of rogue, how are you able to have 40 umd by level 13? I don't see why barbs need a high Cha or Int. those are just points not being invested in str or con and barbs do get enough skill points with just base Int. I would assume you would also be wearing a cha item all the time for the umd, maybe even GS? I could see why wearing a cha item, more for the intimidation but a full dps barb should have the dps to not need to use it. I use intim when I want to pull agro from a caster or divine or something when they are being chased.

ive learned to play with just csw pots and eventually SF pots when the favor is unlocked. you can survive past level 12 as long as you play smarter not harder. with 2 levels rogue, whatever points left over after str and con would go to dex, but obviously easier if a 36 point build.
    Last edited by Qhualor; 09-28-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Community Member

There's alot of good stuff in here, and I'll format and edit it and make a new post.

Still some unanswered questions though...for example, how can an Int dump 2 rogue splash get full UMD?

Aes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast