Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beginner in need of general advice on picking gear

Hello everyone.

I have a few general questions regarding gear. I have read a lot of articles on DDO wiki and finally understand enough of the game mechanics to start playing a bit more informed.
    Out of all the questions I have "What gear should I pick?" pops up in my head most frequently.

My character will be a 18 ranger / 1 rogue / 1 fighter tempest "trapmonkey", currently at level 6. I took the rogue splash mainly because I want to be able to solo some quests with traps when I can not find a party. As a general guide to deciding which items to buy I have been using a page on the wiki that lists which gear you need to be ready for raid x. These are however mostly clickies etc.

My questions are:
    - Should I worry a lot about what items I try to obtain (through quest rewards, the auction house and questing in general) as this will be the first character I want to reach 20 with.
    - Are there any specific ac / saves / hp targets I should try to hit? Is any of them more important than the others?
    - Are there any general rules? (as in: as a ranger always try to get x, When in doubt, pick y,...)
    - How do I compare two similar items? An armor with a bit less AC but an extra modifier vs. one with more AC but without the extra effect for example. I could try them both on but the difference is so small sometimes I really can't judge which of the two is better.

What I already try to do now is get a few weapon sets for specific types of enemies. I have my two main khopeshes, a pair of maces for skeletons, a bow for enemies at a distance, a muckbane for slimes. As for all the other gear I try to just get as much + stats as possible for each stat and pick all the rest randomly.

Just about any advice on gear would be welcome.

Community Member

You seem to understand the general principle. Here are a few things for which I like to aim:

A "Resistance" item (plus to all saves) of the maximum value allowed by my level or thereabouts. Plus four is acceptable if plus five isn't attainable. Reason: low saves kill.
    A "Protection" item with a reasonable bonuis, eg, Ring of the Bucanner. Reason: An important part of maintaining some basic standard of AC.
    Some source of insight bonuses to AC and/or saves where possible, eg, the Parrying affix. Reason: see above.
    Decent enhancement value on your armour and/or shield: There's no point paying for protection or some other mod on an armour if you could've had as much or more AC from just having a better "plus" armour, etc. Reason: Having a basic standard of AC really will make your levelling experience much more pleasant.
    A source of Fortification - certainly heavy once it becomes available to select, but light and moderate are still a good idea before that point. Very important. A good way to use blue augment slots. Reason: life-saving.
    Items with bonuses to any of the six main stats; aiming somewhere between the maximum possible allowed at a given level (eg, for a caster's casting stat), to around the level offered by a colourless augment (for economy of gear layout) or just a more minor increase if the stat in question has limited use for a certain character. Boosting all six stats may be a good idea when you can do it without making undue sacrifices, depending on what each stat gives you for a particular build. Anyone with rogue levels should give strong consideration to Intelligence and Wisdom as well as whatever stats they require for more mainstyream activities. Reason: Stats are the fundamental building blocks of your character and you can derive lots of benefits from keeping them nice and high. It's also important to protect yourself against being disabled by stat damage.
    False Life of some sort, the more the merrier. Never too early to start, never too late to upgrade. Reason: Everyone takes damage.
    Vitality bonus to hit points, once the +20 colourless augment is usable. Reason: See above.
    Skill Items for characters with important skills: Disable Device, Search and Spot items of the maximum allowable bonus for your character level, or as close to this as practically possible, are close to mandatory for trappers (omit Spot is you're not taking it). They can be switched in for use, but it's preferable if they're always on. At higher level, exceptional intelligence and wisdom skills (eg, Tools of the Trade Belt, Dragontouched Armour, Greensteel) are also recommended for trappers. A reasonable bonus to Open Lock item should be carried if taking and maintaining the skill, but can more happily live on a piece of switch gear if desired. Items of a decently recent value for Hide and Move Silently are essential if taking and maintaining stealth skills. A bluff item is good if you can fit it in on and use that skill. UMD bonuses can be hard to come by but deserve inclusion on characters that'll be UMDing heal scrolls and the like (exceptional charisma skills +6 on a piece of greensteel is highly advantageous); and anyone with a decent dialogue skill should consider carrying a piece of gear on switch with a maxed out bonus to that skill should the need for it arise. Balance and Jump bonuses are nice for just about anyone if they happen to come without any undue sacrifice.
    Permanent Blur, if you need it and can get a decent source item, eg, Bracers of Wind. Reason: Significantly improves mitigation against attack damage.
    The Silver Flame Talisman from Necropolis on more or less every fleshie character: at the very least, some form of Deathblock. Reason: Death spells can ruin your day if you're not protected, and the protection from negative levels and negative damage can give you a defense against many effects like level drain rays for which there's no save and no hit check.
    A Spell Absorbtion Item, if you can find a nice one that you're happy to include. This can be switched in as needed or used constantly and will give you a little bit of a buffer against general nastiness. I like the Jewelled Cloak from Gianthold. Pale Lavender Ioun Stone as an item switch is a popular choice, and with good reason.
    Featherfalling! Constant effect. Reason: Huge convenience value both for protection from damage and extending your jumping distances. Tip: Have a switch item that you can use to switch out of your featherfalling item - sometimes you'll want to complete a fall more quickly, and (very rarely) this can even be a matter of life and death.
    An Underwater Action item, for sheer convenience. Can be on switch, can be omitted by carrying potions.
    Spellpowers, Spell Lores, Spell School Foci, and an Implement Bonus. It's fairly obvious that if you use a certain type of magic, you'll want current bonuses to all the relevant categories. For guys like Ranger, you're mostly just looking for some sort of Devotion item to be included somewhere on your build, and won't need any spell DCs or anything like that. Implement bonus is nice if you happen to get it (throw a devotion red augment on a weapon you were going to use anyway, etc.) but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Some other points:

Natural Armour bonus to AC is nice, but can be omitted from gear on characters willing to swig potions or able to cast the right spells (like Rangers).
    Everyone loves Healing Amp, and Healing Amp loves you, but it's not all that easy to get.
    Blindness Ward is cool, but you can carry potions.
    Striding is very important if you have no source of a spell such as Expeditious Retreat, and remains handy even if you do.
    Anything that gives you Ghost Touch on your attacks saves you a job.
    +5 Thieves' Tools are worth it.

I hope that was helpful!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lengthy answer! I will definitely keep these pointers in mind while looking out for gear.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    You seem to understand the general principle. Here are a few things for which I like to aim:

A "Resistance" item (plus to all saves) of the maximum value allowed by my level or thereabouts. Plus four is acceptable if plus five isn't attainable. Reason: low saves kill.

A "Protection" item with a reasonable bonuis, eg, Ring of the Bucanner. Reason: An important part of maintaining some basic standard of AC.
    Some source of insight bonuses to AC and/or saves where possible, eg, the Parrying affix. Reason: see above.

Decent enhancement value on your armour and/or shield: There's no point paying for protection or some other mod on an armour if you could've had as much or more AC from just having a better "plus" armour, etc. Reason: Having a basic standard of AC really will make your levelling experience much more pleasant.

A source of Fortification - certainly heavy once it becomes available to select, but light and moderate are still a good idea before that point. Very important. A good way to use blue augment slots. Reason: life-saving.

Items with bonuses to any of the six main stats; aiming somewhere between the maximum possible allowed at a given level (eg, for a caster's casting stat), to around the level offered by a colourless augment (for economy of gear layout) or just a more minor increase if the stat in question has limited use for a certain character. Boosting all six stats may be a good idea when you can do it without making undue sacrifices, depending on what each stat gives you for a particular build. Anyone with rogue levels should give strong consideration to Intelligence and Wisdom as well as whatever stats they require for more mainstyream activities. Reason: Stats are the fundamental building blocks of your character and you can derive lots of benefits from keeping them nice and high. It's also important to protect yourself against being disabled by stat damage.

False Life of some sort, the more the merrier. Never too early to start, never too late to upgrade. Reason: Everyone takes damage.
    Vitality bonus to hit points, once the +20 colourless augment is usable. Reason: See above.

Skill Items for characters with important skills: Disable Device, Search and Spot items of the maximum allowable bonus for your character level, or as close to this as practically possible, are close to mandatory for trappers (omit Spot is you're not taking it). They can be switched in for use, but it's preferable if they're always on. At higher level, exceptional intelligence and wisdom skills (eg, Tools of the Trade Belt, Dragontouched Armour, Greensteel) are also recommended for trappers. A reasonable bonus to Open Lock item should be carried if taking and maintaining the skill, but can more happily live on a piece of switch gear if desired. Items of a decently recent value for Hide and Move Silently are essential if taking and maintaining stealth skills. A bluff item is good if you can fit it in on and use that skill. UMD bonuses can be hard to come by but deserve inclusion on characters that'll be UMDing heal scrolls and the like (exceptional charisma skills +6 on a piece of greensteel is highly advantageous); and anyone with a decent dialogue skill should consider carrying a piece of gear on switch with a maxed out bonus to that skill should the need for it arise. Balance and Jump bonuses are nice for just about anyone if they happen to come without any undue sacrifice.

Permanent Blur, if you need it and can get a decent source item, eg, Bracers of Wind. Reason: Significantly improves mitigation against attack damage.

The Silver Flame Talisman from Necropolis on more or less every fleshie character: at the very least, some form of Deathblock. Reason: Death spells can ruin your day if you're not protected, and the protection from negative levels and negative damage can give you a defense against many effects like level drain rays for which there's no save and no hit check.

A Spell Absorbtion Item, if you can find a nice one that you're happy to include. This can be switched in as needed or used constantly and will give you a little bit of a buffer against general nastiness. I like the Jewelled Cloak from Gianthold. Pale Lavender Ioun Stone as an item switch is a popular choice, and with good reason.

Featherfalling! Constant effect. Reason: Huge convenience value both for protection from damage and extending your jumping distances. Tip: Have a switch item that you can use to switch out of your featherfalling item - sometimes you'll want to complete a fall more quickly, and (very rarely) this can even be a matter of life and death.

An Underwater Action item, for sheer convenience. Can be on switch, can be omitted by carrying potions.

Spellpowers, Spell Lores, Spell School Foci, and an Implement Bonus. It's fairly obvious that if you use a certain type of magic, you'll want current bonuses to all the relevant categories. For guys like Ranger, you're mostly just looking for some sort of Devotion item to be included somewhere on your build, and won't need any spell DCs or anything like that. Implement bonus is nice if you happen to get it (throw a devotion red augment on a weapon you were going to use anyway, etc.) but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Some other points:

Natural Armour bonus to AC is nice, but can be omitted from gear on characters willing to swig potions or able to cast the right spells (like Rangers).

Everyone loves Healing Amp, and Healing Amp loves you, but it's not all that easy to get.

Blindness Ward is cool, but you can carry potions.

Striding is very important if you have no source of a spell such as Expeditious Retreat, and remains handy even if you do.

Anything that gives you Ghost Touch on your attacks saves you a job.

+5 Thieves' Tools are worth it.

I hope that was helpful!
    I added spaces to the quote. Great info in there.

Add in that the Golden Guile and the Ring of Shadows have some great concealment (wearing both right now). I wanted to link to a post I can't find at the moment about what stacks for concealment and what does not. Worth reading so you can have concealment items that stack.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffreydv View Post
    My character will be a 18 ranger / 1 rogue / 1 fighter tempest "trapmonkey", currently at level 6. I took the rogue splash mainly because I want to be able to solo some quests with traps when I can not find a party. As a general guide to deciding which items to buy I have been using a page on the wiki that lists which gear you need to be ready for raid x. These are however mostly clickies etc.
    I am going to preposition this with I am still trying to figure this out myself. The following is what I found useful but by no means is it either completer or accurate. Also, prepare to struggle with gear slotting and inventory space

My questions are:
    - Should I worry a lot about what items I try to obtain (through quest rewards, the auction house and questing in general) as this will be the first character I want to reach 20 with.
    Currently, yes, thanks to U19, many of the clicky effects that showed up on random gear now only shows up on Named gear or AH from generated gear made before U19.
    • Protection from Evil - Works in Heroic but thanks to developers, not so useful in Epic (20+).
    • Death Ward - Single charge clicky from Tangleroot. Only source that I have seen posted. Otherwise you need to scroll cast with UMD.
    • Greater Heroism - Human enhancement, Clicky from a quest, or Scroll/UMD.
    • Rage - Clicky from Carnival pack (low priority) but useful for tough fights. There is a shard that has similar effects. Heard conflicting opinions on the shard though.
    • DR breakers - Still working on this one personally. Best I have read about for Heroic was a weapon dropping out of Harbringer of Madness, Epee. If there is better for Heroic, no one has posted it that I have read.
    • Specific DR breakers - If Epee is just too much work/time (which it may be) or you want more DPS than Epee, you can make specific DR breaking weapons for specific fights. Holy/Silver/Outsider Bane is a common one.
    • Bow of Sinew - End reward for Harbringer. Best (?) heroic bow until 20+, or at least one of the best.
    • DPS weapons - Not sure what the best DPS weapon is in Heroic. Green Steel on 2nd+ lives but first time through, maybe the axe from GH? I use 2 Burst Khopeshes of Good, and 2 Warhammers that deal Light/good damage. This is an area I need to improve in.
    • Utility - Smiting/Paralying/Banishing
    • Ring of the Stalker - lvl 12+ version
    • Ghost Touch - Mabar Cloak, Cloak of Invisibility, Gloves/Bracers out of Sands (think both come out of that expansion. Can buy the gloves/bracers in the AH which is usually easier).
    • Raise Dead Scrolls(?); Curse, Blindness, and Healing Potions; Heal Wands and Scrolls - Once you can afford these. And I am sure I am forgetting a few
    • Deathblock Robe - For facing Beholders
    • Best DD, OL, and Search item you can afford for level.
    • +UMD gear. (Still working on this one also so others will have to be more specific)

None of these are required but they help if you can find them. Sometimes you luck into some of these items and sometimes you don't

- Are there any specific ac / saves / hp targets I should try to hit? Is any of them more important than the others?
    Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are always good to keep high. There are a few quests that attack other ability scores (that can make you helpless) but nothing you need to plan for 100% of the time. Grab the best +Resist item you can find like the above poster mentions. Vitality and False Life items also help
    I don't plan for AC, just saves and resists (Most of my resists, 99% of the time, come from ship buffs otherwise I cast them).

- Are there any general rules? (as in: as a ranger always try to get x, When in doubt, pick y,...)
    Kiting in a group is always frowned upon unless it is specifically asked for. Kiting while solo is a viable technique.

- How do I compare two similar items? An armor with a bit less AC but an extra modifier vs. one with more AC but without the extra effect for example. I could try them both on but the difference is so small sometimes I really can't judge which of the two is better.
    I ignore AC so I am always looking at the modifier or what it provides. Does it consolidate gear? Does it provide something you may need later? (i.e. If I know I am going to face an NPC who dispels and casts spells, having an item that provides a valuable resist may be necessary. Or I am going to face NPC's who attack my CHR soon, it may be a good time to find a CHR item).

If it is on weapons, generally figure out what weapon it is. Is it a DPS weapon or Utility weapon? And do you plan on using it for awhile of just a few quests/chain?

What I already try to do now is get a few weapon sets for specific types of enemies. I have my two main khopeshes, a pair of maces for skeletons, a bow for enemies at a distance, a muckbane for slimes. As for all the other gear I try to just get as much + stats as possible for each stat and pick all the rest randomly.

Just about any advice on gear would be welcome.
    This is generally what I did. I made it to 20 before I found everything above; I would say I had about 40% of the list by time I got there but many of the things I lucked into. On another toon (My caster) I have only found 20% of the things I have on the list for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    I added spaces to the quote. Great info in there.

Add in that the Golden Guile and the Ring of Shadows have some great concealment (wearing both right now). I wanted to link to a post I can't find at the moment about what stacks for concealment and what does not. Worth reading so you can have concealment items that stack.
    Hi,

The two types that stack are Concealment and Incorporeal.

But there are many sources of each. Here is some cut&paste from DDOWiki on the different sources/

Enhancement bonuses to personal Concealment are provided by:
    (These do not stack with each other and only the highest is applied)

Note: All of these sources can be negated by True Seeing (spell)

-Item effect: Dusk. 10% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Item effect: Smoke Screen. 20% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Item effect: Blurry. 20% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Monk finishing move: Dance of Clouds: 20% enhancement bonus to concealment. Works on friendly NPCs.
    -Spell: Blur. 20% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Item effect: Lesser Displacement. 25% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Spell: Shadow Walk. 50% enhancement bonus to concealment (lost if you interact/fight).
    -Spell: Displacement. 50% enhancement bonus to concealment.

Players can gain an Incorporeal miss chance via:

10%
    -Feywild Tap (Elf enhancement) - 10%
    -Ghostly (item enchantment) - 10%

25%
    -Ghostly Essence (Shadar-kai enhancement)
    -Shadow Veil (Ninja Spy 3rd core enhancement)
    -Shadow Form (Shadowdancer epic destiny)
    -Shroud of the Wraith (Pale Master 4th core enhancement)
    -Walk with the Spirits (Primal Avatar epic destiny)

35%
    -Shroud of the Wraith with Improved Shrouding (Pale Master T5 enhancement)

(Ugh, freaking new and not improved forums won't let me format this. Sigh, sorry for the hard to read presentation)

Default No, this is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap_Man View Post
    Hi,

The two types that stack are Concealment and Incorporeal.

But there are many sources of each. Here is some cut&paste from DDOWiki on the different sources/

Enhancement bonuses to personal Concealment are provided by:

Note: All of these sources can be negated by True Seeing (spell)

-Item effect: Dusk. 10% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Item effect: Smoke Screen. 20% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Item effect: Blurry. 20% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Monk finishing move: Dance of Clouds: 20% enhancement bonus to concealment. Works on friendly NPCs.
    -Spell: Blur. 20% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Item effect: Lesser Displacement. 25% enhancement bonus to concealment.
    -Spell: Shadow Walk. 50% enhancement bonus to concealment (lost if you interact/fight).
    -Spell: Displacement. 50% enhancement bonus to concealment.

Players can gain an Incorporeal miss chance via:

10%
    -Feywild Tap (Elf enhancement) - 10%
    -Ghostly (item enchantment) - 10%

25%
    -Ghostly Essence (Shadar-kai enhancement)
    -Shadow Veil (Ninja Spy 3rd core enhancement)
    -Shadow Form (Shadowdancer epic destiny)
    -Shroud of the Wraith (Pale Master 4th core enhancement)
    -Walk with the Spirits (Primal Avatar epic destiny)

35%
    -Shroud of the Wraith with Improved Shrouding (Pale Master T5 enhancement)

(Ugh, freaking new and not improved forums won't let me format this. Sigh, sorry for the hard to read presentation)
    No worries, this is good. TY, hit the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Just a note, the concealment bonuses from the Golden Guile and Ring of Shadows do NOT stack. They are both typed as enhancement bonuses.

However, wearing both is not really a big issue, since the Golden Guile provides an even greater advantage, Improved Deception. I currently run a similar 18 ranger/1 rogue/1 fighter build and wear both a perma-Blur item and the Golden Guile, even though I know the Blur and Dusk effects don't stack. The GG is strictly for the Improved Deception. With the recent enhancement pass, it is quite easy for a ranger to get some decent sneak attack damage in and The GG's Improved Deception works especially well with dual-wielding, 100% off-hand attacks.

Default Diplo and Bluff

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyputrid View Post
    Just a note, the concealment bonuses from the Golden Guile and Ring of Shadows do NOT stack. They are both typed as enhancement bonuses.

However, wearing both is not really a big issue, since the Golden Guile provides an even greater advantage, Improved Deception. I currently run a similar 18 ranger/1 rogue/1 fighter build and wear both a perma-Blur item and the Golden Guile, even though I know the Blur and Dusk effects don't stack. The GG is strictly for the Improved Deception. With the recent enhancement pass, it is quite easy for a ranger to get some decent sneak attack damage in and The GG's Improved Deception works especially well with dual-wielding, 100% off-hand attacks.
    I'm doing the Guile for Diplo and Bluff. I'm so happy to hvae both on the same item for other gear reasons. I wasn't sure if they stacked or not. I had to equip the ring for Blurry when I ran out of Blur scrolls.

Community Member

Thanks for adding those spaces, Livmo. This forum would do well to be equipped with a working edit button! Sorry for the wall of text, everybody - glad it helped you, though, Geoffreydv!

Hello everyone.

I have a few general questions regarding gear. I have read a lot of articles on DDO wiki and finally understand enough of the game mechanics to start playing a bit more informed.
    Out of all the questions I have "What gear should I pick?" pops up in my head most frequently.
    Because you are a splash, this is a little tricky. If you are looking to do traps, the good news is that trapping tends to be very gear-related. This means anything that boosts your Spot, Search, Disable Trap, and Open Lock scores should be targets (items “Of the Eagle”, “Searching”, “Disabling,” and “Escaping” on items). Also helpful are INT items (“Clever”) for disabling, and WIS (“Wise”) for spots, and DEX (Dexterous) for Open Locks. The higher you can get the better (You are in +5 territory for skills and +2 for stats). A lot of people often have these as a backup, swapping in and out of trapping gear depending on the need. One of the better sources of trapper gear is the Treasure Hunter’s Spyglass from the Crystal Cove event. When it comes around again, you might want to consider farming for it. Otherwise, you’re going to have to play the equipment shuffle game to have the right gear in the right slots for various needs.

One thing to also consider is making the investment into Cannith Crafting. It may not help you in this life, but, if you decide to TR at one point, it becomes a HUGE benefit when making the gear you need for your toon.

It depends.

You pretty much want to run quests for named items, as these provide the most bonuses on average.

You should probably craft a greensteel weapon and/or item by running Shroud in the upper teens. These provide clickies (stoneskin is always nice if you have a melee toon) or nice benefits (smoke items offer displacement which is also nice for a melee toon). Greensteel weapons like MIN II are also general purpose DR-breakers. They are your best, first step at good equipment.

I think that for any character, you should shoot for having the following items:
    1) Armor with as high of an AC as you can get for the type of armor your restricted to using. If you are a Tempest Trapmonkey (I only run pure toons), my assumption is that you’ll be wearing lighter armor, which allows a higher DEX bonus to apply to your AC. Good items to shoot for are Crimson Chain, Rakshasas Hide, or maybe one of the Dragonscale armors. Right now, however, maybe +2 Skirmish Leathers? I believe Snakeskin Hide will be closer to your current level.
    2) If you were a big DPS Melee toon, I’d mention something about having a high PRR, but in that area you’ll be limited to what your armor provides. So that’s fairly static. Maybe something with a blue augment slot where you can put in a PRR augment (that’s a bit of a rarity, unfortunately).
    3) Something that increases your Dodge percentage. There are lots of Dodge items out there. However, the Marbar Festival allows you to farm for Cloak of Shadows, which at lvl 16 provides both Dodge, but incorporeal benefits as well. You really won’t be seeing these until the later levels.
    4) Something that makes you harder to hit: a Blur clickie, incorporeal items (As I mentioned, Marbar cloak), Displacement clickies, and so on. You really won’t be hitting these items until past lvl 12, but they are something to shoot for.
    5) A deathblock item. Again, something you really aren’t going to need until past lvl 10, but mobs with instakills become more pronounced past lvl 12, and having one of these things equipped is almost mandatory.
    6) A featherfall item – something I usually start equipping around lvl 3.
    7) A striding item. At your level the best you can get is maybe 15%, but some of the Masterful Craftsmanship items will give you 20%.
    8) If you are a heavy solo player, you might want to invest in steal items like “Hiding” and “Silent Moves.” Sneaking and hiding can be VERY beneficial in solo quests.
    9) You may want to slot a Deadly and Accuracy items. It helps.
    10) Also – while not really considered “equipment” per se – you’ll want to carry a healthy stack of the following pots, namely: Remove Curse, Remove Blindness, Neutralize Poison, Cure Serious Wounds, Cure Disease, Barkskin (until you get the spell), and maybe Heroism (for stats).
    11) When you start hitting lvl 18 or thereabouts, hit up the Dreaming Dark quests and farm out a Vibrant Purple (?) Ioun stone, which is a spell absorption item.
    12) You can’t go wrong with a Blindness Immunity item slotted somewhere. I highly recommend keeping on at all times and you will probably never remember to have it on until you are actually blinded…

As for weapons, there are two trains of thought: one size fits all, or the golfbag. One size fits all means you get a set or two that handles some 80% of the mobs you’ll run into (usually named items). The golfbag means you have a whole assortment of weapons that you can use (which I what I usually go for). This includes:

1) Your dual Muckbanes for oozes and Rust Monsters.
    2) A couple of sets for undead. I usually use Ghost touch of Good for ghost-types, and Holy-ish of Undead Bane (lesser, in your case) for the rest.
    3) A set of Frost weapons for fire elementals and fire creatures (many of them at your level).
    4) A set of fire-based weapons or acid-based weapons for just about everything else.
    As you move into higher levels, you want to try and accumulate the following melee weapon sets:
    1) Dual paralyzers,
    2) Dual smiters for constructs,
    3) Dual banishers for any outsiders (demons, devils, Xoriat creatures),
    4) Dual disruptors for undead,
    5) Cold-iron and good weapons for demons,
    6) Byeshk good / CON damagers for Xoriat critters,
    7) Silver and good weapons for devils.

Bows you might want to follow the same criteria.

As for saves, you’ll want a Resistance item (covers all saves), a Reflex save item, and maybe a swappable Will / Fortitude save item depending on the mobs you’ll be facing.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

There's lots of good information in this thread.

As one amendment to earlier suggestions, my experience was that relying on "blindness removal" potions didn't work because after drinking a potion, the mob that blinded my character earlier would just keep blinding my character over and over until my character ran out of potions, at which point my screen would go dark and stay dark until (generally) the "your character has died" message would pop up.

Having a blindness ward / immunity item prevented the above from happening quite well.

Blindness ward / immunity is a pretty common magical affix and you can purchase gear on auction houses or at pawn brokers, as long as your server has a reasonably robust population.

Will saves are the weakness of the tempest trapmonkey, so try to find a protection from evil clickie for immunity to command. (The nightforge helmet, for example.) My first life on my tempest trapmonkey I was getting commanded and held left and right. In later levels you'll get FOM for holds, but you'll always need protection from evil wands or clickies, unfortunately. Also deathward, from the tangleroot visors.

Since you're level 6 on a first life, here's the gear I would target in the upcoming levels:

Level 9
    Head: Nightforge Darkhelm
    Eyes: Spot
    Neck: Nightforge Gorget
    Back: Cloak of Invisibility
    Wrist: ML4 Bracers of Wind
    Hand: Strength
    Waist: Constitution
    Feet: Boots of the Mire
    Ring: Ring of the Mire
    Ring:
    Trinket: Dusk heart
    Body: Snakeskin Vest

Level 13
    Head: Teraza's Perfect Sight
    Eyes: Spot
    Neck: Nightforge Gorget
    Back: Cloak of Invisibility
    Wrist: ML4 Bracers of Wind
    Hand: Maenya's Iron Fists
    Waist: Constitution
    Feet: Boots of the Mire
    Ring: Ring of the Mire
    Ring: Katra's Razor Wit
    Trinket: Dusk heart
    Body: Crimson Chain or Giantcraft Leather Armor

Free to Play
    • The Nightforge stuff is rock solid for a first lifer and easily solo farmed once you hit level 9.
    • The Cloak of Invisibility is so full of win it'll spill win all the way down to your shoes. You'll be able to solo farm it on normal, though it may take a week or two to finally pull it. It drops in that first chest past the int rune, which you'll be able to open with a simple +4 int pot. Hit that chest once a day until you pull it. No completion necessary.
    • The snakeskin vest probably won't be farmable in time unless you have help.
    • The bracers of wind can be farmed up with free daily tokens. It may take a few days to learn each one, but they're cheap enough that the effort will be well worth it. The only thing you want them for is the blurry, which is on the ML4 version.

Attack on Stormreach
    The sora kell set (teraza's / maenya's / katra's) is about as good as it gets for leveling a tempest trapmonkey from 13 all the way to 20. Crimson Chain is quite nice, though if you can manage the relics Giantcraft Leather is better.

Red Fens
    The mire set is super nice for leveling. All my characters wear it from 7 to 17 for the yummy 24% striding (don't believe the description) until I swithc to rocket boots at 18. You have expeditious retreat from the dragonmark, which is 25% striding, but it's so nice not having to worry about refreshing it or having it dispelled.

Let me know if you don't have access to these packs and I'll adjust accordingly.

First life, i made a ranger18/rogue1/fighter1

Bascially, as first life, you will not have all the best material

Here some general hint

Get a deathblock item (usually armor)
    Get different set of weapon (for ooze, for undead,...)

For specific items
    - various item from Red fens are useful from lvl 7 to 15 (or at least until you find better)
    - challenge items. If you don't have the pack, get one free token every day, and when you have a big pile, start to do the challenge to get the following itmes :
    Ring of the stalker (lvl 12 or higher) for manslayer
    Elemental bow of earth to have a decent bow
    Bracers of wind for dodge and blur
    Spare hand for disable/open lock bonus
    If you use rapier or kopesh, look also at rapier of air or kopesh of water

Those items are not necessary the best ones, but they are easily farmed for a first life (at least Tier 1)

Hello,

What struck me as odd in the first post was the sentence: "My character will be a 18 ranger / 1 rogue / 1 fighter tempest "trapmonkey""
    And when he is, then what? Are you done? Will you TR? Will you play another character? Will you go on to lv 28?
    Maybe this is just me, but I think it's strange to have an endgoal which is not the end of the game? Shouldn't people be planning for 28 levels nowadays? Or are lv20 builds still the thing to do when bringing out a "build"? It's not like your character is "endgame-ready" then, since endgame is epic levels nowadays.

Thoughts?

Wend

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    If you use rapier or kopesh, look also at rapier of air or kopesh of water
    Oh, right, duh. I forgot to mention that the ML12 elemental khopesh of water is so good for leveling it hurts. They even win a win-off with the cloak of invisibility. Just ridiculously good.

My first life I went with a pair of Hooked Blade: Bloody and Destructive. They're quite nice, and look over-the-top badass. For my second life I switched to the water khopshes, which are clearly superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendolyn View Post
    Shouldn't people be planning for 28 levels nowadays? Or are lv20 builds still the thing to do when bringing out a "build"?
    There are only 20 heroic levels. No matter what class you are, your 8 epic levels are always the same. So his build will actually be 18 ranger/1 fighter/1 rogue/8 epic. Since every build ends with "/8 epic" it's not worth mentioning.

For the full build details, see the link in my signature.

Thanks again everyone for all the information. I have a much greater understanding what to look out for now.

@EllisDee37, I am using your tempest trapmonkey build as it was one of the most complete builds I found (enhancements included). It's great to now see an example gear layout as well.

I do not have access to both the adventure packs you mentioned but they might be the next ones I buy when I farmed enough turbine points.
    I have bought some other packs when I played a couple of years ago.

The packs I have are:
    - Catacombs
    - Seal of Shan-To-Kor
    - Tangleroot Gorge
    - Sharn Syndicate
    - Necropolis pt 1 - 3
    - Delera's Tomb
    - Sorrowdusk Isle
    - Vault of night
    - Demon Sands
    - Ruins of Gianthold
    - Vale of twilight
    - Reaver's Reach

Default Items

Thanks again everyone for all the information. I have a much greater understanding what to look out for now.

@EllisDee37, I am using your tempest trapmonkey build as it was one of the most complete builds I found (enhancements included). It's great to now see an example gear layout as well.

I do not have access to both the adventure packs you mentioned but they might be the next ones I buy when I farmed enough turbine points.
    I have bought some other packs when I played a couple of years ago.

The packs I have are:
    - Catacombs
    - Seal of Shan-To-Kor
    - Tangleroot Gorge
    - Sharn Syndicate
    - Necropolis pt 1 - 3
    - Delera's Tomb
    - Sorrowdusk Isle
    - Vault of night
    - Demon Sands
    - Ruins of Gianthold
    - Vale of twilight
    - Reaver's Reach
    Before I had all the packs my guildies would get me a guest pass to help farm items. In turn I've done the same for others and got them a guest pass to farm a particular item as well. However, for the Pale Green Ioun Stone from the Shadow of a Doubt quest, I farmed and then just mailed to guildies that didn't have the pack since it was BtA on Equp and guest passes weren't avail. at the time. Not sure if they have guest passes yet for the new content.

One thing I forgot to point out: Fortification.

If you are lucky by lvl 8 you can get a fortification 60% item, which cuts down on crits you receive. Crafting a Moderate Fortification item gives you 75%.

The packs I have are:
    - Catacombs
    - Seal of Shan-To-Kor
    - Tangleroot Gorge
    - Sharn Syndicate
    - Necropolis pt 1 - 3
    - Delera's Tomb
    - Sorrowdusk Isle
    - Vault of night
    - Demon Sands
    - Ruins of Gianthold
    - Vale of twilight
    - Reaver's Reach
    You don't own any of the four packs that come with the MotU standard edition, which makes it a great buy if you can swing $35 in a single purchase in the DDO Market. It comes with Phiarlan Carnival, Attack on Stormreach, Path of Inspiration, Dreaming Dark and 1000 TP. Plus epic destinies, druid, Eveningstar challenges, and a greater tome of learning. It's a very nice deal considering those four packs are all worth having and would cost 1280 during a 20% sale, meaning you get the equivalent value of 2280 TP worth of adventure packs for the $35 in addition to the expansion pack.

Even better is if you can afford $50 in the market. If so, you can add Shadowfell to your cart for $30 and then add MotU standard edition for half price, $17.50 instead of $30. Shadowfell comes with another 1000 TP, which means that $50 gets you those four packs plus 2000 TP.

If neither of those deals appeals to you, both Attack on Stormreach and Red Fens are worthy purchases and pretty affordable. The Red fens gear I listed is mostly for "quality of life," meaning you can put whatever placeholders in those two slots and be fine. (A deadly ring and FF boots, maybe?) The Attack on Stormreach base items can be farmed from the F2P Lordsmarch chain and work just fine until you get Attack on Stormreach and upgrade them.

Sorrowdusk has a nice robe in the chain reward that comes with melee alacrity, so that's worth considering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast