In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Default What is more damage: 10% more critrange vs. 10% more offhandprocs?

Currently theorycrafting a new Warpriest, and i am on the edge over a choice.

Shall i go Drow centered Shortsword and take the +10% offhandprocs from Shintao, or better go Elf /Halfelf Scimitar for a better base critrange, with in effect 10% more crits with Improved Critical?

If i only look at these two different weapons (excluding other racial differences), what would result in more damage?

P.S.
    This could also be interesting for those thinking about splashing Tempest to see what the 2nd Core Ability actually gives them.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post

Shall i go Drow centered Shortsword and take the +10% offhandprocs from Shintao, or better go Elf /Halfelf Scimitar for a better base critrange, with in effect 10% more crits with Improved Critical?

If i only look at these two different weapons (excluding other racial differences), what would result in more damage?
    Both give you a 10% chance to do 100% extra damage, assuming just a base Shortsword vs a base Scimitar, but Crit benefits both your main and offhand strikes, while Offhand Chance only benefits your mainhand strikes (you cant proc an offhand from an offhand, unless you're a Marilith or something), so Crit probably wins.

However, Offhand attacks can proc extra affixes/procs, while Crit only boosts your base damage, so if you have a lot of procs, that favors Offhand. Conversely, if you have any kind of +Crit Multiplier involved, that favors Crit Chance.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post

P.S.
    This could also be interesting for those thinking about splashing Tempest to see what the 2nd Core Ability actually gives them.
    all damage amounts equal, and all crit multipliers equal, 10% more crit range is better.

real math at bottom, but here's the basics

reasoning, 10% higher chance of doing 100% extra damage(on an x2 weapon)= 10% extra damage
    vs.
    10% chance of doing less than 100% damage-since offhand strikes benefit less from strength strength, and wala, less than 10% damage increase.

Once again, that is with no consideration for enhancement lines, weapon choices, or anything else.

the real math

scimitar, assuming a strength of 30 (+10), with +6 weapons, against bob, no armor kobold with 5 quadrillion health
    100 main hand strikes, 80 off hand strikes, assume 3.5 damage per strike, +16 for main hand strikes, and +11 for off hand strikes. 30% of those strikes will be double thanks to critical hits, so for main hand,
    19.5*100*.7+(2*19.5)*100*.3= 1365+1170=2535 main hand damage
    offhand is
    14.5*80*.7+(2*14.5)*80*.3=812+696= 1508 offhand damage, for a grand total of 4043 damage for 100 attacks

Now for shortswords, we'll use the same equations, but with a 20% crit rate and a 90% offhand strike, so

19.5*100*.8+(2*19.5)*100*.2=1560+780=2340 main hand damage
    and
    14.5*90*.8+(2*14.5)*90*.2=1044+522=1566 off hand damage, for a total of 3906 damage for those 100 attacks.

as you can see, there's only about a 3% damage difference, but it's there. However, that damage difference is not something i'd plan your build around.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post

[Math]

as you can see, there's only about a 3% damage difference, but it's there. However, that damage difference is not something i'd plan your build around.
    Thanks for the info. Its rather smallish, and if you then incude stuff that gets only added on true hits, and not raised by landing a crit, like all those extra damage +d6 / +d4 abilites on weapons, i think overall the difference should end up so small as effectively undistinguishable.

Good to know i can go by fluff here.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member

Also keep in mind there might be a mob or 2 in the game that has more than 0% fortification. I think that's the real deal breaker.

doesn't it also depend a lot on what weapons your using and what your fighting? Fort on mobs, your strength and other modifiers for crit damage, also other enhancements? Though crit does affect *both* hands.

And you have the choice between shortswords/rapiers with drow, and either rapiers or scimitars with elves, also longswords......meh. though being centered with rapiers, or scimitars requires 8 fighter splash............
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 09-27-2013 at 06:12 PM.