Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    You are completely right. I always bemoaned all that searching for epic pieces but back then I had a list of things I wanted to get eventually... and goals. It made raids fun even on bad days or disasters. It made even the most hated raid something I looked forward to getting better at (damn you Abbot). It made people come together and have things to do. Even for TR purposes you sometimes stayed at cap to get those 20 raids done or a few more just in case that TOD ring or that base item dropped which you could use for TR and even use in endlife for ultimate gear load.
    That's how I met people... helping eachother get better at raids, get better at helping eachother get the shineys we wanted.
    When MOTU came down we were excited, but the first things we did were a sure sign of why this was bad. We went and solo-ed or posted runs to ransack on certain chests. And even then the excitement of getting what you wanted wasn't there cause I could get the wisdom robe and sell it/exchange it for the charisma robe. Yes, I got what I wanted faster... but I had LESS fun doing it.

I've been waiting. In the meantime I've played other MMOs and other games and to be honest, I come back ONLY for nostalgia. I prefer playing a japanese MMO running home-made translations and scripts because whenever I want to play DDO to see if things are better... I still find no reason to stay.
    Waiting loses you people. I've made new friends, new goals... when people walk away to "wait", they may not come back.

I gave MOTU a chance. It ruined my long term plans, my carrots were all gone and to be honest I don't find it enough to just run raids for "fun". When you ran a raid 20+ times with several toons, it is no longer just for fun. There has to be some sort of carrot. It did indeed ruin raiding and they've yet to find suitable replacements for that grind at the end.

Because not everyone's cup of tea is the XP grind. Not everyone's cup of tea is finding random lootgen. Some of us like gear load-outs and piece-mail grind like Shroud and even that LOTB were genius ideas (albeit LOTB could have served up more interesting loot). The old epic item system was a long term carrot that gave you a path... There was a nice transition, a growing (if you will) of your character to reach higher levels of difficulty.

I started with running the easier raids at cap. I crafted a couple of stand-in pieces. I ran the easiest epics after a bit of experience and gearing. I ran a lot of epics and raids until I DARED, yes DARED, step into the desert epics. Those epics were a goal... a thing you geared for. I ran Shroud all throughout to get my two pieces of GS gear that I knew would be useful running epics and for leveling up if I TR-ed.

That was a rather worthwhile and EXCELLENT system, in my eyes. Yes, more and new content was needed. But content that still worked within that system, that maybe gave you decent named loot to propel you to the new challenges of EE and higher level epics and raids.

Instead we got MOTU. And eGH was a brave attempt but not when the person making the loot seems to have zero clue about progression and how to make enticing NAMED loot. Random lootgen is an insult to progression. Random lootgen reminds me of Asian love for RNG and let me tell you... North Americans are not Asians and they unilaterally hate it.

I'm waiting. The work they've been doing in the past year does not give me hope that this new end-game and system will be great.
    You need a system that both allows you to grow your character through XP grind and through gear progression. And hopefully something that isn't WOW with their love of rendering gear obsolete every update.

I don't have high hopes they can nail it.
    All this. Ever since motu, I've had friends/guild members (quality, skilled players) slowly leaving due to the shift away from raiding and 6 man epic-component-grinding. These days you have the odd people soloing/duoing ee quests with no postings and 0 pugs posted. The end game needs to go back to it's roots, and I posted this on the items thread in closed beta.

You NEED the carrot, and items are it in these types of games - you guys just have to realize that. Also, listen to your players (within reason) - we kind of know best, since we play every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glin View Post
    [This thread seems to have gone off topic a bit so I am going to back up.]

I expect to post this week. A few specifics were in flux as to whether or not we can get it done, so I have redrafted a few times so far.
    For those on the fence about where to take their character today, I will say not much about the Epic Reincarnation has changed since my previous post. If you are playing an Iconic or plan to in a next life, then yes I'll have details on that.
    We will get the facts posted and try to address questions. I apologize its taken longer then intended.
    Lookin foward.. Please keep the info coming!
    * * * Koneka * * *
    --- Lunarko ------------------ Koneka ------------------ Lunako ---

Community Member

I expect to post this week. A few specifics were in flux as to whether or not we can get it done, so I have redrafted a few times so far.
    For those on the fence about where to take their character today, I will say not much about the Epic Reincarnation has changed since my previous post. If you are playing an Iconic or plan to in a next life, then yes I'll have details on that.
    We will get the facts posted and try to address questions. I apologize its taken longer then intended.
    I am really looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. I just hope you do post this week as I am off for a week without internet and it would be nice to have your plans to ponder while away.
    So, post already

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    That's not an endgame it's a hamster wheel, and some people are already completinists, triple completionists, and have maxxed ed's. There need to be raids for pulling guilds and the community in general together and to give many players that don't like hamster wheels something to do and something to play. Your opinion of what endgame is is shortsighted, and won't keep a game going for long, just long enough to make short term money before losing enough players and entering maint mode.
    How is replaying 2% of the game less of a hamster wheel than repeating the entire game? Since we know that MMO's cannot release content fast enough to keep us all busy replay value becomes very important. The more of the game that has replay value the better. I have to agree with the poster that you quoted that DDO has a much better end game than the vast majority of MMO's because it encourages you to replay all of the game instead of 2% of it. This results in its taking a much longer period of time to get bored with the game. The raids you talk about are also hamster wheels, but they are much smaller wheels and thus are even more repetitive. If people get bored playing the entire game over and over again they certainly will get bored playing only 5 raids over and over again and they will get bored faster. It is your idea of an end game that is short sighted. DDO is not unsuccessful because of its choice of end game. It has many other design problems that deserve credit for that.

Any decent end game gives the character lasting value (i.e. improvements of some sort that never go away). Giving people gear that they will replace with the next expansion is a waste of time because it only benefits them temporarily. Thus raiding is both more boring and repetitive and has less of a long term point than TRing does. The only end game I have ever seen that can compete with TRing is a game that has some sort of endless alternative advancement once you reach the level cap.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Any break is likely to be permanent, that is what your endgame pushes people towards. Hope you are a ceo with a golden parachute because the quality of your thinking will require you to have one if you do anything more complex than break rocks for a living.
    Every MMO I have ever played that had your idea of a good end game (i.e. lots of raiding) resulted in my taking a permanent break. What we have hear is a realization that your idea of fun is not the same as everyone else's. It may be time for you to come to the conclusion that this game is simply not for you and take that permanent break. I have had to come to that conclusion many times before in relation to other games. Based on the extreme negativity in the majority of your posts it is probably past time for you to come to that conclusion as well. If your attitude in game is anything like it is on the forums then you bring more clouds than sunshine to the game and both you and the game would be better off in your absence.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Has this been posted yet? If so, where is it? My search-fu ihas failed me.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whispurr View Post
    Has this been posted yet? If so, where is it? My search-fu ihas failed me.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...n-reincarnated
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345