Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Otto stone nerfed?

Angrybob strikes again.

Otto Stone is not nerfed but the math behind the calculation is a bit cryptic for the uninitiated.

To sum this thread up I used the stone at lvl 14 on a 3rd life character which took me only to lvl 17 with maximum xp buffs going (50% pot, 10% VIP, 5% voice, 5% shipbuff). Since from earlier experience the stone can take you into lvl 19 I couldnt figure out why.

Explanation for my error;

The stone gives you enough xp (unbuffed) to reach lvl 16. Which means it only gives the difference between your current xp when using the stone and the xp needed for lvl 16. Xp bonuses are calculated on the added xp. So the longer you wait to use the stone past lvl 8, the less xp you get when bonus xp is added.

Conclusion. Stone should be used when lvl 8 is reached and every xp beyond lvl 8 will give you less total xp.

Final conclusion, Im not a rocket scientist :-)

Angrybob out.
    Last edited by ThreeEyedBob; 09-27-2013 at 05:38 AM.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Community Member

Used 1 last week. 50 % Pot / 10 % VIP / 5 % Voice / 3% Ship took me to level 19 from level 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurstgurgler View Post
    Used 1 last week. 50 % Pot / 10 % VIP / 5 % Voice / 3% Ship took me to level 19 from level 8.
    im not vip but with 5% stone 1 brought me to last rank of 18

but hey, let's blame turbine w/o having a clue of what are we talking about
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedBob View Post
    Sure as hell seems like it...got bored trudging through 3rd life on my bard (which I have to TR for a 4th time) so I popped one of the 2 Otto boxes I had bought last week.

Buffed up all xp boosts used the stone. Took me to rank 81 (lvl 17). Last time I used one that I had saved from last christmas it took me to lvl 19.

So has Turbine stealth nerfed the stones?

Anyway, Im really ****ed off. I feel like Im throwing money down the toilet. I said it before that Im done giving Turbine money. This time though, its for real. The bull****ometer has reached its maximum acceptable level and gone over the red bar.

Im done. No, you cant have my stuff.
    are u sure the last time u used it it was not on 20 or even 30 percent heroic xp weekend?

[QUOTE=psykopeta;5115027]im not vip but with 5% stone 1 brought me to last rank of 18

Angrybob tends to blow a few gaskets.
    Last edited by ThreeEyedBob; 09-27-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Community Member

And what was your level when you used the Stone?

Community Member

In this thread:

>xp stones take people to level 16
    >some guy takes xp stone to level 17
    >guy is upset that it didn't take him to 19
    >no details are provided for us to check calculations
    >guy declares Turbine must have done something wrong, ragequits

Goodbye! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Alternatively, tell us a little more about what exactly happened when you were "got bored trudging through 3rd life on my bard". Now, I'm speculating wildly here, but it's hard not to speculate when you make such a vague complaint. For example: Did you know that the stone does not provide a fixed amount of XP? It provides enough XP to reach level 16. This means that if you're level 8, it will give you more XP than if you are level 12 when using it. So if you got bored at a higher level, the stone would have given less xp, which means less bonus from the xp bonuses too.

14. Are you telling me they base the bonus xp on the difference between the xp on the character when the stone is used and the lvl 16 xp? IE (2,448,500 - 1,737,500)*bonus xp?

14. Are you telling me they base the bonus xp on the difference between the xp on the character when the stone is used and the lvl 16 xp? IE (2,448,500 - 1,737,500)*bonus xp?
    yeah, thats it

Community Member

Yes the Base XP before XP Buffs is based on the difference to level 16. The Stone you used worked as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Circon View Post
    In this thread:

>xp stones take people to level 16
    >some guy takes xp stone to level 17
    >guy is upset that it didn't take him to 19
    >no details are provided for us to check calculations
    >guy declares Turbine must have done something wrong, ragequits

Goodbye! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Alternatively, tell us a little more about what exactly happened when you were "got bored trudging through 3rd life on my bard". Now, I'm speculating wildly here, but it's hard not to speculate when you make such a vague complaint. For example: Did you know that the stone does not provide a fixed amount of XP? It provides enough XP to reach level 16. This means that if you're level 8, it will give you more XP than if you are level 12 when using it. So if you got bored at a higher level, the stone would have given less xp, which means less bonus from the xp bonuses too.
    Angrybob strikes again.
    Last edited by ThreeEyedBob; 09-27-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Angrybob

"We" know exactly what we are talking about. I also had the 10% vip bonus btw. Bonuses were maxed. Turbine is killing their own product. Keep going and I wont touch another Turbine game with a 10 foot pole.

Downloading Final Fantasy XIV as I write this.

Turbine is the most whacked gaming company I have ever experienced (including Funcom). The nerfbat is completely out of control and their bugriddled hive is growing with every patch.
    I'm not aware of any of my guildies, who are doing multiple TR's on alts currently having the issue you describe. The way you worded your OP makes me wonder if you used the stone while past the level 8 mark. As I understand it, and have done in the past, you cap out at level 6. Then take level 7. Then find something that gives a minimum of xp to bring you to 8 (eg. explorer xp award when you are way overlevel). Then take level 8. Then use the stone with your relevant xp buffs. With VIP that should take you to rank 91.

If you went to 81, it seems to me you likely have missed something in those steps. Making a spontaneous decision to do that could be a factor. Keep in mind that the multiplier given by the stone is adversely affected for every xp point you are past the level 8 mark.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

And there is your problem. You used the stone at level 14. Any xp you lost was due solely to that decision.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

EDIT: Reread the post above, so its basicaly to get to lvl 8 with minimum "overflow" IE 1 xp past lvl 8 is perfect.

Oh well, gonna see what FFXIV has to offer anyway :-P

Sanitized my posts a bit and summed up everything in the first post as an easy explanation for everyone who didnt know the details.

Yes, the devil is definitely in the details!

Dr ThreeEyedBob and Mr Angrybob out.

Does anyone else think this mechanic is completely retarded? The less time you spend leveling, the greater the reward.... it should be exactly opposite. Imo it's better to release 1 million xp stones, which can be used once per life at any level you you please and to which xp bonusses apply. This way you can choose for yourself which levels to skip, and there is no unfair stuff going on with bonus xp.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Does anyone else think this mechanic is completely retarded? The less time you spend leveling, the greater the reward.... it should be exactly opposite. Imo it's better to release 1 million xp stones, which can be used once per life at any level you you please and to which xp bonusses apply. This way you can choose for yourself which levels to skip, and there is no unfair stuff going on with bonus xp.
    To put it mildly its not exactly intuitive how it works :-)

I definitely think they could release 1 mill xp stones also in store. Actually they could do a 500k and 1 mill xp stone since sometimes people just want to get their character "unstuck" in some awfull level range that they hate.

Moraly I dont see this as any worse than the current xp stones. That step has already been taken so this is just diversifying more and creating more opportunity for Turbine to earn some bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post

This. /signed
    Thelanis: Rogosh, Dhragkar, Dhrakian, Meridion, Maherellen.

Community Member

Of course the entire thing makes little sense at all. They're still advertising these as "allow[ing] level 8 or higher characters to immediately level up to level 16", and that's really all they ever should have done. The XP mechanism they implemented allowed people to get far beyond level 16, and now that they've set that predecent they can't go back, and the OP's problem goes hand in hand with how that works.

One issue I never see mentioned is that people who don't know the tricks associated with these stones end up getting far less benefit from them. If they're supposed to work with pots and so forth, they should be advertised as such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast