Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    One Question, Why can only elves fight with finesse?

and no because elves are useless otherwise is not a reason.
    I consider Displacement and additional damage to Balizardes and Pinions to be reason enough to use elves without even looking at the dex to damage stuff.

Oh I'm not saying it works I'm saying it SHOULD work...its coded wrong right now.
    it is not coded wrong

as far as melee weapons it works with slashing and piercing type weapons and not weapons that deal slashing or piercing damage but are bludgeoning

piercing weapons:
    Dagger
    Heavy Pick
    Light pick
    Rapier
    Shortsword

slashing weapons:
    Bastard Sword
    Battleaxe
    Dwarven Waraxe
    Falchion
    Greataxe
    Greatsword
    Handaxe
    Kama
    Khopesh
    Kukri
    Longsword
    Scimitar
    Sickle

If your not equipped with one of these slashing or piercing weapons while centered your not going to inflict ninja poison

Community Member

My guess is that it was difficult to get it working with Vorpal Strikes, so they changed that to be WAI.

This sort of thing seems to happen a lot with unarmed Monk stuff.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    My guess is that it was difficult to get it working with Vorpal Strikes, so they changed that to be WAI.
    That would be quite stupid as they could have known before introducing Sting of the Ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Daitengu View Post
    That would be quite stupid as they could have known before introducing Sting of the Ninja.
    just was never intended to work with wraps its was intended to work with slashing and piercing weapons.

Basic Ninja Training: You are proficient with short swords and treat them as Ki weapons. While you are centered, you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit with piercing and slashing weapons.

Sting of the Ninja: Weapon Stance: You poison your weapon with a secret mixture. While you are centered, your piercing and slashing weapons inflict your foes with a stack of Ninja Poison on critical hits. (Cooldown: 3 seconds)

it effects weapons just like basic ninja training does not add dex to damage on ivy wraps

notice where it says "weapon stance"

Still stupid because vorpal fists make fists slashing. Any sane person would expect a slashing weapon to be a slashing weapon.

Second there are no good epic kama. With shuriken its even worse. And shortswords? Hm the better ones are alignement restricted. So what are we going to use this with (outside 8 fighter splash)?
    Last edited by Daitengu; 09-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Still stupid because vorpal fists make fists slashing. Any sane person would expect a slashing weapon to be a slashing weapon.

Second there are no good epic kama. With shuriken its even worse. And shortswords? Hm the better ones are alignement restricted. So what are we going to use this with (outside 8 fighter splash)?
    it does not change the basic weapon type of handwraps from bludgeoning to slashing it changes the damage for DR purposes.

I have already stated that the damage type is irrelevant only the weapon type.

I can use the same argument as you here ....any sane person would expect a bludgeoning weapon (handwraps) to be a bludgeoning weapon.

you can use this test as an indication of weather or not Sting of the ninja will work with a weapon of not.

does weapon X works with Improved Critical slashing/piercing = YES / NO

this may be your opinion that this is stupid however this is not a bug this is WAI

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    it does not change the basic weapon type of handwraps from bludgeoning to slashing it changes the damage for DR purposes.

I can use the same argument as you here ....any sane person would expect a bludgeoning weapon (handwraps) to be a bludgeoning weapon.

you can use this test as an indication of weather or not Sting of the ninja will work with a weapon of not.

this may be your opinion that this is stupid however this is not a bug this is WAI
    This. Like I said before, it's clearly not a bug. The description changed and now does exactly what the description says. I'm annoyed Sireth doesn't work anymore (it did before and by the description before, it did not appear to be a bug, it seemed to work like pulverizer does: checks the damage type being dealt).

It may not be a bug but I don't think its right. I can live with it not working with vorpal strikes (as that kind of makes it just work for any old handwraps), but it seems stupid to screw over the exceptionally typed weapons.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

But it doesn't work on bows.

They're effected by improved crit ranged, but they're definitely piercing weapons. Your whole argument is pretty flawed.

I know what you have stated. But its stupid because unlogical. If it overcomes slashing DR its obviously slashing. But when it comes to poison its not actually slashing? Come on either it is or its not. The problem is that not logic but implementation issues lead to this **** being labeled wai.

No you cant because because Brawling Gloves make fists piercing, vorpal fists and ivy wraps make them slashing.
    Last edited by Daitengu; 09-30-2013 at 01:55 AM.

No you cant because because Brawling Gloves make fists piercing, vorpal fists and ivy wraps make them slashing.
    ivy wraps make you bypass piercing by adding piercing to your damage type.
    vorpal fists makes you bypass slashing by adding slashing to your damage type.
    brawling gloves simply add a 1d4 piercing damage proc. They don't allow you to bypass pierce DR.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post

They're effected by improved crit ranged, but they're definitely piercing weapons. Your whole argument is pretty flawed.
    your not applying the formula correctly

bow Improved Critical ranged = NO

I am not making an argument as if this is a debate.

I am stating the facts of how this works like them or not this is WAI

your not applying the formula correctly
    The problem is the currently implemented formula doesnt make the slightest bit of sense wai or not.

The problem is the currently implemented formula doesnt make the slightest bit of sense wai or not.
    sting of the ninja is for weapon wielding monks not unarmed makes perfect sense

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post

BTW bows are not piercing weapons they are ranged weapons that deal piercing damage.

this is the whole problem sting of the ninja clearly states Slashing and Piercing weapons IT DOES NOT state slashing and piercing damage

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

sting of the ninja is for weapon wielding monks not unarmed makes perfect sense
    Handwraps = Weapons (which can gain piercing and slashing damage numerous ways)
    Wolf/Bear Claws =Weapons (which deal slashing and/or piercing damage)
    Bows = Weapons (which deal piercing damage and can become ki weapons)

Thus they fulfill the slashing and/or piercing damage requirement. Thus is bugged this is pure cold facts it cant be argued. This and the fact that Bows don't generate Ki needs to be fixed.

Now without mentioning damage types answer WHY you think mechanically or lorewise this shouldn't work
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-30-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Thus they fulfill the slashing and/or piercing damage requirement. Thus is bugged this is pure cold facts it cant be argued. This and the fact that Bows don't generate Ki needs to be fixed.
    there is no slashing / piercing damage requirement

the requirement is to have a centered slashing or piercing type weapon equipped

handwraps are bludgeoning
    wolf/bear are unarmed bludgeoning
    bows are ranged

Not when they slash!

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

there is no slashing / piercing damage requirement

the requirement is to have a centered slashing or piercing type weapon equipped

wolf/bear are unarmed bludgeoning
    bows are ranged
    Ok look lets ignore your...opinion...I just want to know WHY you don't think this should work is there some kind of lore reason or mechanical reason it shouldn't work or is your "opinion" the only reason.

If it is the only reason than please stop posting here your derailing this thread with your ranting...Bows do piercing damage, Claws do slashing and/or piercing damage (wolf claws actually dont proc ANY bludegoning damage as skeletons DR applies) and Handwraps have various ways of obtaining slashing and piercing damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Ok look lets ignore your...opinion...I just want to know WHY you don't think this should work is there some kind of lore reason or mechanical reason it shouldn't work or is your "opinion" the only reason.

If it is the only reason than please stop posting here your derailing this thread with your ranting...Bows do piercing damage, Claws do slashing and/or piercing damage (wolf claws actually dont proc ANY bludegoning damage as skeletons DR applies) and Handwraps have various ways of obtaining slashing and piercing damage.
    Dude, you're making me ashamed to be Canadian. It's not a matter of opinion, and you yourself can see the difference between Damage type and Weapon type as this last post proves. The mechanic specifies weapon type, not damage type. Period

As for lore, what difference does it make? There are a thousand things in the game that could be argued to work differently based on some point of lore or logic. The decision was made for it to work th sway, and it does. The End.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast