Community Member

Default Food for Thought.

In response to the "I feel Bad" thread I thought I might start up my own which might help some people, both in game and help others feel better out of game.

Much of the response to the thread was along the lines of "you should not say stuff about X to X player when you don't know them or their state of mind".

But shouldn't we be taking it a step further and thinking about how our actions are impacting upon other players, even though we ourselves justify our own actions internally as being 'right' and 'good'.

In this respect I am talking about obtaining rare raid loot, that we roll on from greed rather than from need, how does this action impact upon the player who 'needs' that item or weapon and not knowing that persons state of mind how do we justify rolling on a Pinion (for example) for next life over that first lifed ranged toon, that although maybe not the best player in the raid needs that bow a lot more than you do?

I guess what I/m really getting at is lets make the DDO community better by looking beyond our own selfish needs and helping out where we can.
    Here are some things I think we can do to improve the community and the gaming experience for many others.

-Roll on loot only from a need perspective, no more screwing over the little guy, do we really need Two Balizardes + Two Nightmares + Two Celesties + Pinion on our TWF toons?

-If you no longer need anything from raids yet see them struggling to fill and are doing nothing, why not jump in lend your experience and help along a completion.

-If you see people doing quests for a particular reason, why not jump in and help them out, for exampe EDA runs for tokens, jump in there, fill the lfm and hand over the tokens.

-If you are a TR vet running low level stuff you normally solo, why not grab a few pugs, have a little patience and teach them some of the intricate parts of the game that a newb will have no knowledge of.

-Don't rip off people in trade/general channels who are trying to sell stuff way under priced, help them out and give them an idea of the items worth.

I think there are probably a lot more we as individuals can do to make this game more enjoyable for others, remember this is predominantly a PvE game and it doesn't really matter how big our EPeen is or if we have that last 1% we can eek from our character.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post
    -Roll on loot only from a need perspective, no more screwing over the little guy, do we really need Two Balizardes + Two Nightmares + Two Celesties + Pinion on our TWF toons?
    Short answer, yes.
    Long answer, Me rolling on loot in no way "screws" the little guy. Does my Ranger "Need" a Cleaver this life? No, not really. Why have I not done my Fighter/Paladin lives on my Ranger yet? Because I don't have the Cleaver I need for those lives. My next life is just as important as your current life.

Why should I screw myself out of the chance for loot because some random pug would also like an item?
    Has this random pugger put the amount of time and effort into acquiring that item that I have? If not, who should I waste my chance at actually getting what I've been working for?

If I run 80+ CITW's looking for Cleaver and one goes up for roll, I will be rolling for it. I don't care if I have every other weapon from that raid on that particular toon, I put in the time, effort, and dealt with more than enough lag to justify me rolling on that Cleaver, first lifers be damned.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Default need before greed is dead

In response to.... (snip)

In this respect I am talking about obtaining rare raid loot, that we roll on from greed rather than from need, how does this action impact upon the player who 'needs' that item or weapon and not knowing that persons state of mind how do we justify rolling on a Pinion (for example) for next life over that first lifed ranged toon, that although maybe not the best player in the raid needs that bow a lot more than you do?

I guess what I/m really getting at is lets make the DDO community better by looking beyond our own selfish needs and helping out where we can.
    (snip).

Before the TR bandwagon came to town I would have agreed with you. But the simple fact is need before greed is dead and that horse aint never getting back up. Ppl. can take any character and re-roll to a different life and their loot is their loot, period. You should be happy to run quests and raids and be bloody happy if you get loot, if not hopefully you had fun running.

The "I feel bad" thread said all it needed to.

My two cents about improving quality of gaming experience and health of the ddo community at large is this: Be the miracle! (apologies to Carrey). If you see Ppl that need help, do! if you can gift, GIVE! if you carry your end of a conversation, be a part of it! pay it forward.... 7 years I have gamed by these principles... and I regret not a day.

I look at it this way. If I'm bringing a toon to a raid, it's likely I'm looking for a specific piece of loot. Let's assume that's the case and I'm not coming along just for coms or for pure enjoyment or whatever. So in a vacuum, where it's just me, I know I'm looking for Pinion, Cleaver and to a lesser extent Needle. No matter what the other 11 people need or what their priorities are or how often they run the raid or how new they are, my personal priorities don't change. I'll probably roll on any Pinions or Cleavers put up for roll and I'll loot a Needle if I pull it, but probably won't roll on it.

Now I don't know what priorities other people in the raid have. Maybe they think they need an item more than anyone else, but that's so subjective it's hard to quantify. I guess I just don't see the need to roll on everything whether I "need" it or not. I've seen people do it before and I shake my head a bit, but meh. You can't really stop it.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

do we really need Two Balizardes + Two Nightmares + Two Celesties + Pinion on our TWF toons?
    yes

In response to the "I feel Bad" thread I thought I might start up my own which might help some people, both in game and help others feel better out of game.

Much of the response to the thread was along the lines of "you should not say stuff about X to X player when you don't know them or their state of mind".

But shouldn't we be taking it a step further and thinking about how our actions are impacting upon other players, even though we ourselves justify our own actions internally as being 'right' and 'good'.
    The only way people will really become better is when they learn to treat others as they themselves would like to be treated. Often times we forget, or hide behind some game mentality, or say "I was only joking" but that does not work with strangers, that does not work when the situation is reversed, and we all know it. I doubt anyone can really take the level of insensitivity they dish out on others under the disguise of the anonymous of internet, "I was only joking", "it's just a game", or what have you.

In the end, we deal with people, flesh, blood, bone and emotions like our own, they are fellow humans, someone's parent, child, sibling, and deserve the same treatment that our own parents, children and siblings and significant others deserve.

But often people forget that, they lose sight of it, because all they see is a computer and not the person on the other side. Until the day comes when people can realize that their words are to others, people like ourselves, our family and our friends, then we shall never be a community, but just a bunch of people staring at a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    snip

But often people forget that, they lose sight of it, because all they see is a computer and not the person on the other side. Until the day comes when people can realize that their words are to others, people like ourselves, our family and our friends, then we shall never be a community, but just a bunch of people staring at a box.
    Wow! I really thought you were a tower looming over me. Looming and looming, with clear skies behind you.

Community Member

It really does seem that there is more of a 'I must have it now' mentality running through the veins of DDO players than there once was, I guess the point I was trying to get across was the feel good factor you can get by just giving up a little for others.

Personally I would rather have done a good turn for another person at my own expense, than have another piece of loot in my bag that I will use 5% of my gaming time, but to each their own.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

It really does seem that there is more of a 'I must have it now' mentality running through the veins of DDO players than there once was, I guess the point I was trying to get across was the feel good factor you can get by just giving up a little for others.

Personally I would rather have done a good turn for another person at my own expense, than have another piece of loot in my bag that I will use 5% of my gaming time, but to each their own.
    I give stuff to newer players all the time. Hell, I pass out full sets of +2/3 tomes about every 2 weeks or so depending on how many I pull/buy. I've given hundreds of named items, or really nice twink gear away to newer players. Things I didn't need, or couldn't use any longer.

However, raid loot, or really rare named loot(like good MOTU rings, Rare shards/seals, or just really rare named loot that is BTCoA) is a different story. Especially if I've been looking for that Item for a while, and can use it.

For me it's not a "Must have it now", it's my connection/computer can barely handle raids in the best of circumstances. I want to be done farming them as soon as possible because I don't enjoy piking because of the lag.

Plus, drop rates being so terribad for named raid items now, it's hard to pass up on the item I want just so someone else can have it when I've gone 80+ runs without ever even seeing it drop..
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Unfortunately the things you describe in the OP are inherent to the western culture of greed and capitalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Wow! I really thought you were a tower looming over me. Looming and looming, with clear skies behind you.
    I thought the sky looked rather clouded, but that dose not explain your need for such a flippant remark.

It's good to have a discussion about how we interact, decoupling our virtual socializing from the fact that behind every single ID is a real person and that despite doing a lot of digital noise it still comes with real life consequences.

But I don't thing that has anything to do with loot rolls. I'm a fair minded person. I never plan things I roll on or pull around if I might TR. Because I have enough stuff in my inventory and banks.

But loot rolls have no real life consequences. Once Turbine shuts down these servers all that looting will be memories only with no implication on my daily life. Someone making it miserable in a chat does.

So lets have a good conversation about the consequence of a social media and how we can better communicate without making it PC, but lets keep it based on life applications and not loot envy.

My 2 cents only.

well, Just the other day I pulled the red dragon helm. None of my chars have any red dragon armor (I refuse to make it) And while it has nice attributes, I certainly didn't need it. Some player, I don't remember his/her name, asked for it. So I gave it to him. He tried to offer me red scales in comp, but I choose to say help someone else if they ask. I didnt need scales, and I didnt need anything. But I enjoy helping others and it always comes around. I was talking with an old guildy about a friend who quit ddo 4 years back. when he did he drop a full tome set (for skiver) on me. That was back when you had to work your arse off to get them. I remember that act of kindness and pay it forward..

Doing good begets good promotes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Unfortunately the things you describe in the OP are inherent to the western culture of greed and capitalism.
    It could be this or it could be that some of us do not believe people should get a trophy just for showing up.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Furbitor View Post
    My two cents about improving quality of gaming experience and health of the ddo community at large is this: Be the miracle! (apologies to Carrey). If you see Ppl that need help, do! if you can gift, GIVE! if you carry your end of a conversation, be a part of it! pay it forward.... 7 years I have gamed by these principles... and I regret not a day.
    So much this^

I can still remember over 4 years ago when I posted a wine-induced rant (which I am not normally apt to do) on the forums about something and Furbitor very respectfully called me on it. I owned it and was sent a very inspiring PM from Furb, which has always stuck with me and has given me some great perspective on the DDO community.

I still feel that when it's all said and done DDO has quite an awesome foundation of players (sure, there are some cracks), even with some of the vets moving on to other games. But it is the quote above that echoes many players' principles, which continually breathes new and positive life into our game.
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

I need a second Pinion to make it epic
    =why I love my Sarlona people.