Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Reincarnator View Post
    It ****es me off when people thank me for healing when I am on a divine. I don't thank barbs for dealing damage, why should they thank me?
    This hits the nail on the head. Sometimes a Thank you can seem condescending.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
    You could spend 100% of your time in DDO in "undead-heavy" quests.
    Not sure what you're looking at, but I see a heavy lean towards undead quests from about level 1 to 14, and much much less above that. Especially at epic levels, there are very few quests with significant undead content that I can find.

Anyway, yes there are good divines out there, more power to them. No, the best divines cannot put out the damage that equally good characters in other classes do, at least in the general sense. For every divine that's so uber that nobody else is needed, I find 20 that are average at best. For many of those, healing is by far the best benefit they bring to the party.
    Last edited by Qaliya; 09-26-2013 at 10:04 AM.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

I thank every player who does something extraordinary. I also commend the group at large if the quest has gone well. I do not generally single out the "healer" for this (not over anyone else that does well), as I agree (and feel the same when playing a divine) that it can easily come across as condescending or even ironic.
    It's definitely an N-word.

I usualy just say "nice heals" at the end of a quest when I know there would have been a wipe without them. Other than that
    I say "thanks everyone great job" because if I am in a group than it was a group effort.

I'm currently leveling up my first divine toon. I started a cleric to see if I liked it enough to TR my main into and I do enjoy it more
    than I thought I would. Currently level 18 and I have been thanked for heals a handful of times and only twice has someone passed
    me some pots, but I don't expect anything more than a "thanks for the run" because in the pug world thats about all you ever get
    no matter what class you play.

I don't get the hate on "healers" I see in this thread tho. Some folks like killing stuff and some folks like healing stuff. Both can be
    challenging. I've never seen that hate in game. Most parties are surprised and pleased that an actual "healer" joined their group. This means they can concentrate on DPS and not have to worry about keeping themselves up. I've been running into a lot of new players since the latest expansion and many of them don't realize the expectation that every toon is supposed to be built self sufficent, nor do they have the game knowledge to build for that.

For them, having a healer in the party can mean success and failure, and if they fail to often, we will lose a lot of the new blood
    that keeps this game going.

Anyway, as a side note, my pally heals and raises lots of parties in supposedly BYOH quests and I've never been thanked for that.

Good Day.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Name them
    I'm curious about his list as well. I wonder if he will choose to elaborate on that?

Suppose I would of agreed if he appeared to be coming from a speed/efficiency standpoint. But can't, as in not possible? Uh no...
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

Well I guess half the posts on here have verified my OP.

Everyone got defensive and bragged about their Epic UMD and self healing. How Clerics are not needed. How we forget all that heroic content at mid to lower levels where UMD is less.

It really was not about thanking everyone. The OP is about why players are getting out of the party healing business. In fact the game developers have had to compensate for it with ship buffs and Epic Destinies.

So you are telling me that your self healing for Heroic Elite and Epic Elite will get you through to completion?

The point was that melee's are not judged on their DPS output most of the time. Players are quick to criticize the party healer, and slow to appreciate the job well done.

Party healing mind feks many players. It is the same mind fek that hockey goaltenders deal with. Most hockey players know this and they are also on a team. It is practically tradition to individually go up to the goalie and acknowledge how tough the job is and the responsibility involved for team success.

I guess many kids are on these games because they are socially inept and these games also cause social ineptness. One would hope that it would be the other way around with the teamwork involved, but computers are inevitably a disconnect from personal relationships and lack emotional and social benefits of real life interaction between other people.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 09-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    Well I guess half the posts on here have verified my OP.

Everyone got defensive and bragged about their Epic UMD and self healing. How Clerics are not needed. How we forget all that heroic content at mid to lower levels where UMD is less.

It really was not about thanking everyone. The OP is about why players are getting out of the party healing business. In fact the game developers have had to compensate for it with ship buffs and Epic Destinies.

So you are telling me that your self healing for Heroic Elite and Epic Elite will get you through to completion?

The point was that melee's are not judged on their DPS output most of the time. Players are quick to criticize the party healer, and slow to appreciate the job well done.

Party healing mind feks many players. It is the same mind fek that hockey goaltenders deal with. Most hockey players know this and they are also on a team. It is practically tradition to individually go up to the goalie and acknowledge how tough the job is and the responsibility involved for team success.

I guess many kids are on these games because they are socially inept and these games also cause social ineptness. One would hope that it would be the other way around with the teamwork involved, but computers are inevitably a disconnect from personal relationships and lack emotional and social benefits of real life interaction between other people.
    "Healers" have gotten out of that role for a long time because they complained being told to stay out of fights and they didn't have the spell DPS like they do now. Scaling was much higher than it is now and having a dedicated healer was pretty much required. The game changed to give more power to divines and reduced scaling for new players as well as classes that don't have self sufficiency built in. Players adapted to divines no longer needing melees mostly and the melees adapted without them. A hire can pretty much do the same job. Divines no longer have this power over melees and players just build in self sufficiency and other blue bar classes can help each other out, including heroic elite most times and EH content. EE is more case by case basis, but EDs , better gear and more points to spend in high levels makes it so bards, paladins and I've even seen monks play healer as required. Divines are welcome but they aren't sought out like they used to be anymore.

I don't run EE content, I run EH, and my self healing is good enough for that level of difficulty for now (I am sure it will be better when I get around to twisting some additional epic abilities) but right now, I am still only on my 2nd ED for my Main toon as I tend to TR. In that vein, The self healing on my melee TR'ed toons is good enough for HE and has been for the last 5 melee lives (Rogue, Fighter, Barb, Pally, Ranger, and soon Monk) which each life taking me around a few months to complete, as I play to play a game, not make it a race of my life.

On the other hand, On my first life toons I unapologetic go into quests on normal if I am starting the group/quest, as that is what I can open, I may even over level it just to be safe, I pull up hires, I sometimes pull up gold seal hires and normal hires if that is what it takes. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I don't self heal and go into quests alone to stroke my ego, but out of necessity because that is what takes to be able to play a game without drama or waiting.

As others have said, the era of the 'healer' has passed, and that is for the best, now more needs to be done to help the melee classes be able to enjoy the game as equals to all other classes.
    Last edited by Ungood; 09-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.

It depends on the situation but sometimes dps are just useless
    As any other toon..
    The only way to judge that is when you have 11 soulstones floating in the
    Air and you start resurecting all those one by one having a huge group of monsters
    in your back...and then the Guy you call
    Dps is dead again and you raise him again and again..
    Sometimes you have 3 or 5 of them tanking the dragon and they
    Loose 300-400 hps one shot..you just watch the wizard next to you
    And the dragon looses a huge amount in his red bar..
    Then you throw the shiradi rock in it and red bar is done another
    Good amount and you watch these 5 swinging at the beast and
    The red bar is not even moving..
    Yeah i love good dps but the real good one and when they really rock
    I can congratulate it is not a problem to me
    I got no thanks so many times using a bunch of elixirs and
    Bringing back to Life them and i am not waiting for anything
    But sometimes a thanks is nice

Quote Originally Posted by Daitengu View Post
    When was the last time a healer thanked the dps guys for killing stuff?
    **Anamalia level 25 Cleric **
    Guild Stealer of souls

Community Member

One of the best hockey plays I ever saw was the Boston Bruins goaltender pass the puck past 9 other players to the lone Offensive man standing at the blue line that preceded to go one on one with the other goaltender and score.

Others threads are talking about how self sufficient everyone can be now and Clerics/Divines should always be looking for opportunities to cast or melee.

+1 to those threads and posts
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

My main is a cleric and thanks are often given especially in raids. I think its comes from a time when groups of 10 would wait an hour or more for 2 healers to join.

Quote Originally Posted by LupusVai View Post
    Really, that's what you took from that. It wasn't supposed to be a statement on political correctness.

But as you seem blinkered, I'll just point out. A lot of roles are gender associated like it or not. Its not being sexist its just a fact. (FBI profiles most serial killers to most likely be middle aged white men, so i suppose you'll say they're being sexist and racist) Oh and by the way you conveniently over looked the "service men and women" when most are men.
    Uh no, serving customers at a restaurant is not associated with female (maybe at the places you frequent). Neither is cooking dinner (hint: lots of males cook). The point is, your unwillingness to thank someone at a time when appropriate due to a demanding tone that mirrors the OP makes you not only ungrateful but a a little hypocritical as well, considering the condescending nature of your post, dont you think? It's unfortunate that you missed that very simple point.

So, be sure to let me know how the operation to remove your head from your ... goes won't ya.
    Oh do try harder please!

Community Member

Yes, absolutely possible. Have done entire lives without a healer.

Community Member

So, by that standard I guess you don't:

Thank your waitress when she brings your meal.
    Thank the delivery man for bringing your package.
    Thank the first responders who help save lives.
    Thank the checkout girl who scans and packs your groceries.
    Thank your wife for making you dinner.
    Thank the service men and women who protect your country defend your freedoms to be ignorant to others.

A little bit of gratitude and politeness goes a long way and also doesn't cost you anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    I notice that you prefer to associate certain professions and roles with specific genders based on stereotypes. Just to inform you, but that is sexist. You can thank me for informing you of this. Well, go ahead I'm waiting.
    Really, that's what you took from that. It wasn't supposed to be a statement on political correctness.

But as you seem blinkered, I'll just point out. A lot of roles are gender associated like it or not. Its not being sexist its just a fact. (FBI profiles most serial killers to most likely be middle aged white men, so i suppose you'll say they're being sexist and racist) Oh and by the way you conveniently over looked the "service men and women" when most are men.

So, be sure to let me know how the operation to remove your head from your ... goes won't ya.

Women are not serial killers, but they are killers. They just like to do it slowly over a long period of time. Years. To maximize the torture.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 09-26-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Naw, not like divines have blade barrier, destruction or any spells.
    Silly me.
    Yeah those work so well in epics when everything has evasion and insane reflex saves. DoTs are useless too.

Heroics? Sure divines chomp those up. Epics? Not so much. Unless you count monks as divines.

edit---- and apparently now some arcane archers. :P
    Last edited by Postumus; 09-26-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Yeah those work so well in epics when everything has evasion and insane reflex saves. DoTs are useless too.

Heroics? Sure divines chomp those up. Epics? Not so much. Unless you count monks as divines.
    Bladebarrier isn't so great but considering I can land 80% earthquakes on my druid as a first lifer (cant get archers and shadar kai assasins) in the stormhorns, a cleric or fvs could hit cometfalls, necro dots, or whatever they wanted situationally dependant.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

The last time I needed one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

If I don't thank my wife from time to time, I figure I'll end up in the dog house, or she'll stop caring about DDO as much and not play it.

I prefer her both happy and playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    If I don't thank my wife from time to time, I figure I'll end up in the dog house, or she'll stop caring about DDO as much and not play it.

I prefer her both happy and playing the game.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    The last time I needed one.
    More truthfully, the last time one saved me from death.
    Which probably wasn't that long ago actually.

..and I thank those who res me. (which can be any class btw)

Constant heals I do not need.

But I do need rescuing at times.
    ...and I do what I can to rescue others too.
    which ironically tends to be what got me in the situation to need someone to rescue me! lol

I think my two catch phrases are:
    "Well that didn't go as planned."
    and
    "So much for my daring rescue."

But my point is, I self heal. I don't need a dedicated healer.
    and I thank people who help me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast