Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 115
  1. #21
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    220

    Default

    I generally play self healing types {rogue, arti} but always thank the healer and often with pots if things went south. My main reasoning stems from making a cleric once. It wasn't my idea of fun so I try to encourage others to do it more often.

  2. #22
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I thanked Wyoh for healing my gimp retired WF barbarian through a Dreaming Dark on casual so I could upgrade a pale lav before TR the other day does that count?

  3. #23
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    I tend to thank people who give me a timely heal that saves me from loss of ship buffs. But that could be from anyone not just a healer type. Also I don't tend to run with party healers. I just run with party members.

    Also some healers really hate it when you thank them as they say they're just doing their job.

    Love my divines. And quite enjoy the extra challenge of trying to heal well - particularly in bad pugs I run with too many good self sufficient players these days to get good healer practice so my healer reflexes are a bit slow sometimes.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

  4. #24
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    I thank them as often as they thank me for allowing them to join EE groups that I could otherwise solo, but they can't. Which is to say, never.

  5. #25
    Community Member zDragonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    It's a game. And while it is nice to hear, I don't even expect a thank you when I run on a caster. I certainly don't expect plat or mana pots.

    If I pull some blue koolaid in quest I'll pass it to whomever is sacrificing his mana for the group's benefit, if I pull a devotion/radiance/whatever item that someone wants I'll pass that, but I won't pay a guy plat to run a quest with me... unless his name is Fergus.
    I am a Barbarian though.

  6. #26
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    west coast U.S.A
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Im sure some recall my cleric tied to a chair thread. And most know the path of enlightenment thread that despite being years old strangely never has become outdated.

    Now I have certainly expressed frustration with mana sponge players, likewise I have expressed extreme discontent with those who choose to build divines into healers. As pure healers outside of raids are typically pure pikers unless a mana sponge warrior is around.

    Now I am not just a DDO player. I have dabbled in many, even the holy trinity types. But the fact is outside of WoW most MMO with so called roles are usually capable of their own form of multi classing. Pretty much any game that doesnt lock you into a single ability tree allows a variation of multi classing, and its typically only raid content that will decide what is essential where min maxxed raiding builds are concerned, a leveling build is suppose to be an entirely different beast, and many MMO allow a way to have multiple builds to switch between for a single classed character game.

    One of my biggest pet peeves on the opposite side of the fence from playing a character capable of healing, is when it is healers constantly being thanked and congratulated for the teams victory when they often where not doing anything really useful to the completion.

    I think it was City Of Heroes where I and many learned that buffing,debuffing, and CC where just as if not more important tools for the support based classes. And all of those classes could if built up by out of the box thinkers end up much more powerful then the DPS and Tank classes. However this did not mean the DPS and Tank types where useless, far from it, and if anything where often the most under appreciated of classes.

    Yes the fact is Healing tends to be one of the biggest deciding factors to a groups success, and so is DPS, no one will really deny how frustrating it can be to fight a boss capable of self healing, who cant be beaten because of wannabe warriors in the group not being up to the task.

    The real issue with DDO imo is the score card at the end of dungeons, it was and will always remain a horrible feature of DDO that breeds competition within a party, while never really being a good indicator of who did what in the party outside of traps and boxes being smashed.

    You see from the perspective of a self healing top single target dps build back in CoH who was completely capable of soloing every arch villain in the game, even and maybe especially the mid lvl ones while exemped down, something alot of players who only stayed at lvl cap where not capable of there. The reason a character there could be very capable of soling the entire task force the party was on, and not feel like he was doing it all, was in the fury and chaos of battle it was impossible to pay attention or keep track of who was doing waht unless they where just sitting afk at the entrance.

    You had to go above and beyond, go clear entire rooms as quickly as the party cleared one of equal size as a team and do it faster then them to really make them see how much you where bringing to the party. Sometimes in that game if I was feeling underappreciated on my warrior I would claim en emergency afk at the end boss, wait till the party was wiped out then return to solo it while they all rezzed and ran back or waited on me to win so i could rez them.

    You see nothing offends a great DPSer more then ignoring their clear and vital contribution to the cause as easy as it is to offend a cleric in DDO by taking them for granted to be nannybot builds. In City of heroes eventuall the pure heal spec tree for defenders known as empathy became a black sheep few heroic vets would welcome as real hero builds where built to take on anything the game had to offer head on.

    One of the big divides between the two games is that DDO simple takes TOO much in the way of time to build up one of those super characters, past life feats, the very best gear in each slot, builds with no variation on them when it comes to feat and skill choices. The fact is for all of DDOs potential to be a free form character builder, it takes just way to much time and energy to build up the kind of characters most who invest time and money in an MMO to eventually enjoy playing. In CoH it took pretty much 30 days for an experienced player putting in a few hours a day, to reach lvl cap, and during play with NO GRINDING nor REPEATING even a single scrap of content was needed to aquire all the best upgrades for anything but the most top end pvp builds which where totally gimp in pve especially in PUG play. Ofcourse we had 3 build pages per character and most had a pvp, solo pve, and team pve build ready to go for whatever was best suited.

    For example I often lead TFs in my teamcentric pve build, but for the final mission instance would swap to my solo pve build so as to make sure even if the group faltered I could not. My team build included heal others, res allies, the ability to buff them to protect them from control effects, and the ability to turn the entire team into mini tanks if one member dropped. All these where from optional power pools all characters of all classes could choose to invest in, and funny enough my unstoppable dps characters all carried these kinds of team aids and often did more for the squishy party members while killing then the actual support class players where capable of.

    Ofcourse I was far from the only good player there, maybe because there a hero taking on a side kick to mentor was a proud tradition, and mentoring new comers a duty and a privilege most vets jumped at. Here due to things like party ally deaths costing potential XP, increasing dungeon challenge well above what a new player can contribute enough to compensate for, and quest giving set amounts of XP to increase the advantage of a zerg playstyle over a house cleaner play style all lead to reasons to just solo in DDO when you cant work with RL friends.

    The simple answer instead of this long rant is this, playing a support build has to feel fun to use, Most CoH heal powers outside of empathy where based on attacking enemies to leach life, sap power to buff dmg and speed etc, in fact the power set there for defenders known as kinetic defense, was probably the single most favored to have join a party, not unlike the import here in DDO for haste and rage to the warriors. The difference is that all the debuffing and sapping attacks while not the most damaging where still doing combat like things in combat not just following the party around watching red bars.

    that is imo the real reason for the issue here in DDO, when someone who can be potentially a pure healer starts dropping mana on anything but heals, and starts wielding anything but heal buffing tools, the non healers here in DDO throw a fit and verbally abuse the player typically.

  7. #27
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Thinking further, OP I will say that for more ordinary pugs who do indeed need a healer type or else they will fail, it would indeed be nice to be more acknowledged at times. I was just thinking back to when I started. I've had some down right rudeness when it should be just team play as every part of the team does their job.

    And yes I regularly acknowledge clever kills, timely CCs, herding tactics, needed buffs (that jump unasked for I need just at that time), anything that is good fun team play.

    I don't think it's healers particularly who get this thanklessness. It's more that you just feel it more when people whinge at you when you haven't been able to keep them alive.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

  8. #28
    Community Member PNellesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shibe View Post
    Every single time I play with a healer in the group. Twice if they keep me alive during a raid. I even contribute pots if I have them. Everyone should, I bet healing a party is a hard job. I've never played a healer.
    Please come to Orien

    Last pug Hard FoT I ran - Dunno if it was lag, but party had to try twice to take out Stormy and TO (DPS seemed pretty good, so not sure what happened). 7 pots, a Bauble, 50 or so Heal scrolls, all my Rez scrolls later we finished. The other healer probably around the same amount from what I could tell... Thank God for Renewal

    Not a single offer of a pot, not a word of thanks to either of us. I honestly don't expect it, and I probably would have turned them down anyway, but D*MN it would be nice for ONE person to at least offer or at least even ask if any pots were needed (which I do every single time on my non-healer characters, and they all carry 4 or 5 Majors at all times for that purpose)

    And people wonder why it's hard to get healers for raids...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

  9. #29
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Your post is invalid because it's built on a flawed premise: that there are fewer characters out there doing healing. That is not the case in my experience.

    And when the healing is awesome, I thank them, just as I do when the DPS rocks.

    Maybe the problem isn't with everyone else?

  10. #30
    Community Member redspecter23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    I haven't thanked a party healer any more than I've thanked any party member that I enjoyed grouping with. When a group breaks up or a member of a pug leaves, I always thank them unless they were a piker or dead weight which thankfully doesn't happen very often for me. I don't think a healer deserves thanks more than anyone else, but then again, I take measures to make sure I can keep myself healed and buffed. If I were in an especially heal-needy group, I may go out of my way to give special thanks to the "healer" but I haven't been in that situation in a very long time.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

  11. #31
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada,Ontario, GTA
    Posts
    6,819

    Default

    Healers aren't any more special than any other class/build I thank anyone who did a good job and yes that occasionally happens to be a healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

  12. #32
    Community Member Moonsickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the void between Light and Shadow
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    There is a reason over the years I have see players get out of the party healing job (Cleric mostly) and go for a more self healing Divine type casted build (Druid/Fav Soul) or leave Divines altogether .

    When a player tends to mess up it is rarely noticed unless you are the party healer. Now you will notice out there there are less Cleric types cause they tend to be type casted in a party healing role which is the way they are built, but players forget that they don't have to be. It is a free game. I think it is expected for a reason, but it is rarely appreciated. It is the reason LFMs waiting for party healers are up for a long time.

    There are plenty of bad players. It is just that you only notice the bad Clerics. Clerics/party healers are the goaltenders like in hockey. Everyone screams and yells when a goal is scored by the other players on the team. They pat themselves on the back. But if the goal tender sucks or is having a bad day the game is still lost.

    You will see all the hockey players go up to the goaltender after the game win or lose to show support and thanks.

    Unfortunately that does not happen to Clerics/Party healers in DDO.

    You are ungrateful kids most of the time.

    It is why there are less Clerics than there use to be. I have seen many Clerics come and go over the years. Even the ones that liked to mostly just be in a heal role.

    There are HEALERS in this game???

    ... when did they put those in?


    Your hockey analogy doesn't actually make sense?

    If your goaltender sucks... you should expect to lose... but you want people to pat him on the back and say "Great Job!"???
    but in hockey... you can lose with great goal-tending, if your team can't score goals.

    People pay to see goals not shutouts [unlike soccer where 0-0 ties lead to celebrations equal of winning the Super Bowl or World Series complete with riots & stadiums being burned down]... well the home team's crowd would probably pay for shutouts as long their team is scoring goals to make them count.


    As for relation to DDO:
    If your goaltender's role is to be the goaltender, then you'd expect them to be a goaltender and if they should somehow single-handled [ or even an extraordinary performance to] carry the team to a victory... then all the praise in the world should be bestowed on them, but if everyone on the team did their job and you won... why should the goaltender have to be singled out for any extra praise and/or gratuities?






    Your signature makes me want to ask... you wouldn't happen to live under a bridge?
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

  13. #33
    Community Member MichelOue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    game
    Posts
    39

    Default thank, yes....

    I thank all for putting up with me , ha

  14. #34
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    It ****es me off when people thank me for healing when I am on a divine. I don't thank barbs for dealing damage, why should they thank me?

  15. #35
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meleena View Post
    Never. They are doing there job I am doing mine.
    ^^ What they said.

  16. #36
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reincarnator View Post
    I don't thank barbs for dealing damage, why should they thank me?

    I thank them all the time for finding the traps before I do. I have a horrible memory.

  17. #37
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    When I lead a raid group, I always notice who'se doing a great job and who isn't. I always send tell (and usually do it on voice chat as well so it feels sincere) to the members that helped make it successful when the group was overall kinda bad. If they used abusive ressources, I will also help in that department.

    Even more so when there's 2 healers and one is struggling. That's easy to see and also easy to know which one saved the day. Also works if both did great. While I know that I don't need to do it, I also understand the positive effect that it will have afterward. Obviously someone that feels like he's doing a great job (because he got told so) will like it and won't want to fail next time. In fact, he'll try even harder to get that kind of "Thank you" again. That's not true everytime but i've seen this being true over time.

    As a raid leader, sometimes your impact is more important to some kind of players. It's easy to do and have postive result so... why not do it when it's deserved?

    For regular quests, not so much since they're not really needed (for me) and are getting rare anyways.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 09-25-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  18. #38
    The Hatchery Scraap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    It stopped being automatic... some time after the 798th time my rogue ended up hjeeling half the party since the cleric/fvs wasn't, only to hear them get complimented for doing such a stellar job?

  19. #39
    Community Member Singular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    My main (currently level 20) is a cleric, with some 150 levels as a cleric (three cleric past lives, three other past lives as a cleric with LR's upon hitting 20). I play a cleric because I enjoy it. The fact that I rarely get thanked or even noticed (unless someone dies, in which case it's always the healer's fault) doesn't bother me or affect me in the least.

    I use pots when I think it's appropriate; if no one notices or thanks me or offers to pass me the pots they get in the chest - I don't care. It doesn't bother me.

    When someone does offer me a pot, I generally thank them and tell them I'm fine and they can keep their pot. But it is nice when they offer.

    When someone thanks me and says, "Great heals!" that's a nice bit of appreciation, but it's not why I play a cleric.


    The bottom line is that I play a cleric because I enjoy playing a cleric. I heal others in the party because that's how I think my character would act, not so that they will thank me. When they do, that's great, but when they don't, meh. It doesn't bother me or make me want to TR into something else.

    Thank you for healing!

    I enjoy playing a nanibot, to be honest. It's really, really tough work, trying to keep up with players who are trying to get themselves killed. It's not my main, though, and I've shelved her b/c she's gimp atm.

    Anyways, to answer the question of the thread: I thank every single heal I get. Usually, clerics type in "np, it's my job" but people who just toss heals to anyone in the group type "np" only.

  20. #40
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    It stopped being automatic... some time after the 798th time my rogue ended up hjeeling half the party since the cleric/fvs wasn't, only to hear them get complimented for doing such a stellar job?


    Love peeps who play good rogue. If a raid is going pearshaped they are the ones I assign emergency roles to while the rest of us get our acts together.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload