Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default When was the last time you thanked the party healer

There is a reason over the years I have see players get out of the party healing job (Cleric mostly) and go for a more self healing Divine type casted build (Druid/Fav Soul) or leave Divines altogether .

When a player tends to mess up it is rarely noticed unless you are the party healer. Now you will notice out there there are less Cleric types cause they tend to be type casted in a party healing role which is the way they are built, but players forget that they don't have to be. It is a free game. I think it is expected for a reason, but it is rarely appreciated. It is the reason LFMs waiting for party healers are up for a long time.

There are plenty of bad players. It is just that you only notice the bad Clerics. Clerics/party healers are the goaltenders like in hockey. Everyone screams and yells when a goal is scored by the other players on the team. They pat themselves on the back. But if the goal tender sucks or is having a bad day the game is still lost.

You will see all the hockey players go up to the goaltender after the game win or lose to show support and thanks.

Unfortunately that does not happen to Clerics/Party healers in DDO.

You are ungrateful kids most of the time.

It is why there are less Clerics than there use to be. I have seen many Clerics come and go over the years. Even the ones that liked to mostly just be in a heal role.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    There is a reason over the years I have see players get out of the party healing job (Cleric mostly) and go for a more self healing Divine type casted build (Druid/Fav Soul) or leave Divines altogether .

When a player tends to mess up it is rarely noticed unless you are the party healer. Now you will notice out there there are less Cleric types cause they tend to be type casted in a party healing role which is the way they are built, but players forget that they don't have to be. It is a free game. I think it is expected for a reason, but it is rarely appreciated. It is the reason LFMs waiting for party healers are up for a long time.

There are plenty of bad players. It is just that you only notice the bad Clerics. Clerics/party healers are the goaltenders like in hockey. Everyone screams and yells when a goal is scored by the other players on the team. They pat themselves on the back. But if the goal tender sucks or is having a bad day the game is still lost.

You will see all the hockey players go up to the goaltender after the game win or lose to show support and thanks.

It is why there are less Clerics than there use to be. I have seen many Clerics come and go over the years. Even the ones that liked to mostly just be in a heal role.
    Never. They are doing there job I am doing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post

Every single time I play with a healer in the group. Twice if they keep me alive during a raid. I even contribute pots if I have them. Everyone should, I bet healing a party is a hard job. I've never played a healer.

Every time someone tosses me a heal; I don't expect them so I'm happy when they come.

I also thank people for buffs. Plus I tend to comment and praise well timed stuns, trips, CC, assassinates, etc.

And phillymiket's outfits. Ghaele looks awesome in an amusingly accurate way.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

personally, I see more teamwork with druids than I do cleric/fvs and if I had to choose, I would take a druid any day.

I thank healers when they do a good job in bad situations. if they are in a bad group and give 100% to keep the group going. if I see them swilling mana pots I try to keep a mental track record and mail twice the amount immediately after the quest, but only if its above and beyond. if they swill mana pots for what seems to be no good reason and just poor mana management on their part, than it should be a lesson for them to learn. I appreciate any clerics that are team players, but I appreciate any class if they are a team player as well. I dont expect anything from anyone as long as its seen they are trying 100%. I do not give in to clerics or any class that doesn't support being a team player just because they have a blue bar and the capabalities to push a button and throw a heal my way. if they ride a high horse than I focus on myself and the other 4 players in the group, while pretending that 6th spot is vacant.

how about an appreciation for the melees in the group? when I pull a mana pot in the chest, I pass it to the healer in the group or the caster. the melees take the agro, the brunt of the damage and accused of being a mana drain all the time. some are, but some aren't. there are some, including myself, who is aware of the other party members and protects and helps out the healer or anybody else in the group when they get mobbed or in some kind of big trouble. how about the melees that hold the ground while someone grabs the clerics stone and run them to the shrine? there is so much self sufficiency crammed down melees throats that they have to change their build so they can fit in enough UMD points to use heal scrolls, raise dead, blur, etc and craft/bring clickies because the blue bars mana is too precious to pass out basic buffs or make the quest go smoother and faster. self sufficiency is a good thing to have on every class, but for a long time divines held the torch in groups and the players had to start building differently. now divines are needed a lot less than before, teamwork is what its all about now and simple cure spells and buffs from druids, rangers and paladins is plenty to get through most quests.

how about instead, we appreciate each other who puts forth the effort in groups.

Only on the occasion that the divine goes beyond what's normally expected of them. In general, I thank the entire group regardless of succeed or fail; "Good job all, thanks" or "Thanks for the try, better luck next time"

On the flip side perspective, I find the same thing to be when running my divine; players thank me only on occasion.

My 18/2 Clonk, Galvan, was a pure heal-bot, who I am planning to go pure cleric with. I can say, I had hardly ever any of the problems that people make off happening in this game. I will admit that I hardly ever joined anyone else's group, and always opted to start my own. When raids were common, I healed quite a few of them, and even solo healed a few of the easier ones like Shroud, VoD, and have healed the harder ones like LoB and ToD (when cap was 20th) as well.

When I played my melee I would always send the raid healers half the pots they used (rounded up) I figured if more then just me did that, they would be sitting pretty at the end of the raid, when I started to heal raids myself on my clonk, I realized very, very, few people sent me pots even when I used quite a few of them.

I would not say people are ungrateful in that regard, but there is a clear misunderstanding of what the "other" people go through. I mean, on one hand, my cleric was the easy to outfit for max healing and SP, I did not need to quest after the biggest or best gear, I never needed to spend millions of plat on the next BiS Weapon or some such, because weapons and armor were not what was going to win fights for my cleric, spells were, and as a divine my spells appeared free, so in that regard, Understood how it could appear that it was cheap for my cleric to be raid ready, at the same time I could easy spend thousands upon thousands of plat in pots and scrolls for a single raid, which melee types did not need to spend, so in that front, it looked like they had it cheaply to me, as they were not using a hefty amount of expendables per run, and I was.

Now with the game today, most people don't use or need 'healers' as many build for being self sufficient, so they end up spending the hefty plat sums for the beat gear, and spending hefty sums for expendables to complete a quest, I can't say one way or the other what caused the problem with people playing divines to not want to heal groups, maybe it was a feeling of being neglected or maybe it was an inflated feeling of self worth, who knows, I don't. Funny thing about the aftermath of a social explosion like that, the cause for it could be quite varied, and do twisted that no one really knows for sure why it unfolded the way it did, but things happened, and things changed, and the game is the way it is now, for better or worse.

I have to admit, I don't miss playing my 'healer' and at the same time I have no goals to make Galvan into something other then a 'healer', as in I am not going to go war priest with him, or try to be some DC nuker/kiter cleric, I enjoyed being a healer at the time, I enjoyed the ease of leveling up, and the intensity of trying to heal raids, but it seems that part of the game is passed, or maybe it's not, I can't really tell that for sure either these days, but, dusting off the healer is not on my list of things to do as of late, I may pull him out for Mabar, like I did last year. But my motive to stop playing him had nothing to do with how other people treated me when I played him.

In fact, my main's next life is going to be a cleric, we shall see how the "Healers" life turns out to be on a TR project, I get the feeling that it shall be quite easy.

Considering my First toon ever and what was my Main for years was a pure Cleric I think I am the kind of person you are talking to.

When I am playing my Cleric (and that is rare now) the first run or so might be a little dodgy because I will forget to watch red bars a little. But once I am in the rythum I do a good job if I do say so myself. In fact I tend to think CC and Heal first, Buff second and DPS third on my Cleric because that is how I like to play him. He still gets middling kill counts for sure but I try to make sure my instakills are on MOBS with full health and the like.

I don't ask for refunds on resources spent be they pots scrolls or wands and am always immensely grateful when handed them by other players (hey you melee's that hand over that stuff in chests, I love you guys ... for real's). I built a Hjealbot and the party can be expecting me to do that job.

That said I got out of the Divine game by and large not because I didn't get congratulated (though I really appreciated it when I was) I got out of the game because when the blame fell on my 8.5 times out of 10 it wasn't by bad play that caused the wipe / rough run. It was those of the other party members.

Guys Zerg off on their own, run around behind corners or pillars and even take raises while still standing in the environment (trap, lava, etc) that killed them. Even worse they refuse to "hug" the cleric and stand in my aura whenever possible. Often in these groups 1/3 or better of my blue bar that I spent on the party was utterly and completely wasted.

It's frustrating enough to have a wipe, especially on a quest / difficulty that I could have solo'd easily and should have been an autocomplete for a party, even one of nothing but intentional of gimps. But when that happens and I catch the blame though I played well and skillfully .... well yeah that's why he hung up the single more or less.

I don't mind taking the blame when I pooch it, hell I am usually apologizing for that before anyone can even try and blame me. Honestly it's pretty rare that I do screw up but it happens from time to time. And even if I catch heat for it, that's OK I made the mistake(s). But when bad players blame me for their bad play or, what's even worse, when the good players blame me for the bad players bad play that is when I just say to heck with this and jump on any non-Divine toon.

When that happens history tells me it's 6-8 weeks before I visit playing a Divine again, and generally only because I am getting bored of the other toons.
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 09-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Divines dont' get congrats they get spit on, why do you think most are gone and those that are left don't heal except for themselves.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Default Healers deserve either a bit of plat or Elixirs in my opinion. Pass them some coin.

I don't verbally thank them. I thank them by giving them major elixirs throughout the quest depending on what happens because I know I am going to need heals. Amazingly I get healed very well.

I can attribute this to real life. I load heavy appliances into people vehicles at work. My job lets us get tips and the company says it is ok to get them. So when I get a thank you and a tip I feel appreciated more than if I just get a Thank you and they just want to shake my hand. :/

It is interesting that Tippers mostly never want to shake my hand and yet non-tippers mostly do. Just something I have noticed. Whenever I see them extend their hand to shake, I reluctantly have to comply so the customer doesn't feel dishonored.
    I don't want to touch your hand! But since you are forcing me to and If I don't reciprocate it is seemed as rude and I might get a complaint so I have to! Farge you and your handshake!

But when I get no tip and a Thank you and no hand shake I feel appreciated as well. The handshake is just an insult.

Rarely I get a handshake that is discreet with money in it. Those are the cool ones where the customer kind of hides the handshake and I see the green in it. They want to be like here you go, and turn to block their hand and shake my hand while acting discreet and looking around making sure the coast is clear. Hehehe.

Guess it depends on the healers point of view.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

I don't treat any one class better then I do any other. If everyone does well and pulls together, I thank everyone for the group.

If someone, anyone, happens to go above and beyond and saves a near wipe or does something great I will be the first to point that out and let them know they did really well and it was appeciated. Sometimes it's an arcane or a divine, sometimes it's a kiting archer taking the agro while throwing rez clickies and getting the group back on their feet. For blue-bars them coming through in a clutch does sometimes mean drinking some pots. If that is the case, they can expect mail from me after the run for sure.

And, how I treat others is how I wish to be treated. My main is a melee soul, that heals well and sometimes goes into healbot mode if needed. But, I really would get tired of being thanked for every buff, heal and swing of the axe I do. Thank me if I do something above and beyond, but there is no need to thank me for playing my character.
    Last edited by Braegan; 09-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Divines dont' get congrats they get spit on, why do you think most are gone and those that are left don't heal except for themselves.
    or TR into a build like 12FvS/6Monk/2Ranger or 16Monk/2Ranger/2Fighter and took the Cleric dilly.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Why, just the other night I thanked the healer by going to the fridge and getting him a beer.

I came back and the party had wiped.

Who would have thunk there was a "part 5"?

That rascally devil.

My main (currently level 20) is a cleric, with some 150 levels as a cleric (three cleric past lives, three other past lives as a cleric with LR's upon hitting 20). I play a cleric because I enjoy it. The fact that I rarely get thanked or even noticed (unless someone dies, in which case it's always the healer's fault) doesn't bother me or affect me in the least.

I use pots when I think it's appropriate; if no one notices or thanks me or offers to pass me the pots they get in the chest - I don't care. It doesn't bother me.

When someone does offer me a pot, I generally thank them and tell them I'm fine and they can keep their pot. But it is nice when they offer.

When someone thanks me and says, "Great heals!" that's a nice bit of appreciation, but it's not why I play a cleric.

The bottom line is that I play a cleric because I enjoy playing a cleric. I heal others in the party because that's how I think my character would act, not so that they will thank me. When they do, that's great, but when they don't, meh. It doesn't bother me or make me want to TR into something else.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

I thank whomever tosses a heal/reconstruct on me all the time. Even if I was in the middle of casting one on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    What Mobrien said.

Hi Mobrien. Look at us here drinking our spell point pots in our pictures. Your're really Sam Adams, aren't you?

I get undeserved thanks!

I PuG on my healbot cleric. If everything is going well, sometimes all I do is follow the party around with my radiant aura, throw out the occasional burst and buff at shrines. I do chase the fighters into combat so they always have my healing glow, but frankly it is a form of piking. I've completed plenty of dungeons while still having about 80% of my spell points left and I still get thanks like I actually did something simply because the party members never felt like death was imminent! In reality it was their build, gear, experience and playstyle that kept them alive.

Sometimes the PuGs go bad and then its all about the heals and blade barriers and my new SLA's, etc, but mostly I get undeserved thanks, which are welcome nonetheless.

Oh and if all I've done is jog beside the melees for the whole dungeon I throw a "thanks all" or a "good job" back at them for allowing me to continue my piking adventures on that particular toon. Sometimes you gotta thank the fighter, not the healer!

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    I don't verbally thank them. I thank them by giving them major elixirs throughout the quest depending on what happens because I know I am going to need heals. Amazingly I get healed very well.

I can attribute this to real life. I load heavy appliances into people vehicles at work. My job lets us get tips and the company says it is ok to get them. So when I get a thank you and a tip I feel appreciated more than if I just get a Thank you and they just want to shake my hand. :/

It's a game. And while it is nice to hear, I don't even expect a thank you when I run on a caster. I certainly don't expect plat or mana pots.

If I pull some blue koolaid in quest I'll pass it to whomever is sacrificing his mana for the group's benefit, if I pull a devotion/radiance/whatever item that someone wants I'll pass that, but I won't pay a guy plat to run a quest with me... unless his name is Fergus.

I've also thanked people's hirelings on occasion.

When I've stopped a party wipe in a raid/quest on my Arti/Pally/Sorc/Wizard/Fighter/Barb/Monklikemutt/etc I've never, ever, gotten thanks. Rare indeed that when running my Clr/Fvs I've received any compensation whatsoever for having to use pots in struggling or needy parties. What's funny is that my guild is far more concerned with that than anyone else. I mention I'm getting low on pots and three or more of them are chasing me around the boat giving me stacks of them.

I still pass pots when I see above/beyond work going on from the divine or arcane in a group. Still give stacks of scrolls to divines that are low on resources. Still say thanks for healing I receive that I don't expect to get. It's good karma I guess?

On the flip side, I've no problem forgetting that I have a stack of 100 or more pots on my divines. I'll use them if I deem it necessary outside of my guild. Because I won't get them back. And, if people know you have them, play becomes even more reckless. This has been my observation over time.

Sometimes, poorly behaving and/or performing groups need to fail. Otherwise they become conditioned to rely on the divine and whatever amount of resource usage to make up for their shortcomings. Effectively, they never get any better at playing the game.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast