Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you have changed in your Completionist path?

I am getting ready to start life 4 on my future completionist. PL Bard (because he was built for my guild when you needed one for VON 6), Paladin (heal amp & they look really boring to me so I used the LH20 to duck it) and Monk (I enjoy them & they level quick). I really haven't planned anything out as far as builds or the order of lives. Some of the classes I plan on playing all 20 levels because I have never made an Artificer, Druid, Sorc or Rogue. Others I plan on using a stone to duck the grind on classes I have done or think are boring. I am also considering capping an appropriate ED at the end of some lives to break up the monotony a little and to avoid the ED grind.

I would love to hear any lessons learned by those who have completed their journey & those well on their way. What worked for you, what didn't. If you had it do all over again what would you do differently?

I am also unclear on using the stone, I have heard if you have 9 banked or have an XP pot burning when you us it that you will get more XP. True or false? Bug or WAI?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Dervissh ~ Derrvold ~ Dervealer ~ Dervace ~ Dervedic ~ Dervard

Personally if I could go back I would have skipped completionest altogether. For the time and energy and burn out of the game it just isn't worth it. Besides, nowadays with all the pay to win stuff, it isn't even a status symbol.

It may be worth it to you if you are going to use stones and such but in the time you make one completionest you could have made 4 or 5 other toons that are just as kick butt. Remember that life one and two cost less to level up so you can put 2 past lives on more toons for much less time/energy.

Every person I know that have made it to completionest had to take a break from the game due to the burn out, some came back, some didn't.

If you like the game don't do it to yourself. It's like force feeding yourself your favorite food for months, I bet you don't' like it as much when you are done.
    Choler 25 Brd 2TR | Enmity 25Clr | Exasperate 20Sor | Ferocity 6Ftr 2TR | Furyous 25Art 1TR | Hiddin 20Mnk | Infuryated 6Rng 1TR | Retributive 8Dru | Vehemence 23Rog 3TRs | Vehement 10Pal 3Mnk 1Rog | Vexate 22Wiz 2TRs | Violence 28FvS Completionist 23TRs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FURYous View Post
    Personally if I could go back I would have skipped completionest altogether. For the time and energy and burn out of the game it just isn't worth it. Besides, nowadays with all the pay to win stuff, it isn't even a status symbol.

It may be worth it to you if you are going to use stones and such but in the time you make one completionest you could have made 4 or 5 other toons that are just as kick butt. Remember that life one and two cost less to level up so you can put 2 past lives on more toons for much less time/energy.

Every person I know that have made it to completionest had to take a break from the game due to the burn out, some came back, some didn't.

If you like the game don't do it to yourself. It's like force feeding yourself your favorite food for months, I bet you don't' like it as much when you are done.
    Ridiculous. After my first completionist, I immediately switched servers and got another one. Completionist gives people the opportunity to play the game with a sense of accomplishment.

As to the OP. My biggest advice is to find a build you like and try to incorporate it into each life. 6 artie/6 rogue/8 PL or whatever. Unless, if you are grinding out destinies too, do a destiny a life and plan your builds around them so that you're never in an off destiny. If you do both of these, you'll still find yourself in off destinies, but nowhere near as often.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Ridiculous. After my first completionist, I immediately switched servers and got another one. Completionist gives people the opportunity to play the game with a sense of accomplishment.
    What exactly was accomplished besides running easy heroic content over and over again?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    What exactly was accomplished besides running easy heroic content over and over again?
    It doesn't matter. Every life, you get a sense of accomplishment. Once you get completionist, you get a bigger sense of accomplishment. Personally, I have never gotten that same sense of accomplishment running a single toon to cap and leaving it sit there for ever. That's the important part.

Community Member

It doesn't matter. Every life, you get a sense of accomplishment. Once you get completionist, you get a bigger sense of accomplishment. Personally, I have never gotten that same sense of accomplishment running a single toon to cap and leaving it sit there for ever. That's the important part.
    But what did you accomplish?

An accomplishment is overcoming a challenge, what was accomplished by running the same easy heroic content over and over again 14 times?

Community Member

But what did you accomplish?

An accomplishment is overcoming a challenge, what was accomplished by running the same easy heroic content over and over again 14 times?
    ac·com·plish·ment
    ??kämpliSHm?nt/Submit
    noun
    something that has been achieved successfully.

People with pointless debates should probably have a better understanding of the English language, or they might find themselves in an embarrassing situation.

Community Member

ac·com·plish·ment
    ??kämpliSHm?nt/Submit
    noun
    something that has been achieved successfully.

People with pointless debates should probably have a better understanding of the English language, or they might find themselves in an embarrassing situation.
    I don't speak English, I speak American

What have you achieved besides running the same easy heroic content over and over again 14 times?

Community Member

I don't speak English, I speak American

What have you achieved besides running the same easy heroic content over and over again 14 times?
    ...Completionist.

Community Member

...Completionist.
    So running the same easy content over and over again 14 times gives you and "achievement" that means you ran the same heroic content over and over again 14 times?

Got it.

Now if somebody's goal was to have good toons built to handle the hardest content in the game this would be a complete waste of time. 3-5 lives is enough for any toon to be great, the rest is gear (much easier to get these days), EDs (a very boring grind), and skill (which isn't something you acquire running challange-free heroic content).

But for those who set the bar much lower I guess completionist is an achievement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by Billybobml View Post
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    I'd have planned it better. Taking classes first where the past lives are more useful.
    And I would not have done multiple lives of one class... first completionist then the rest!
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

So running the same easy content over and over again 14 times gives you and "achievement" that means you ran the same heroic content over and over again 14 times?

Got it.

Now if somebody's goal was to have good toons built to handle the hardest content in the game this would be a complete waste of time. 3-5 lives is enough for any toon to be great, the rest is gear (much easier to get these days), EDs (a very boring grind), and skill (which isn't something you acquire running challange-free heroic content).

But for those who set the bar much lower I guess completionist is an achievement.
    You were just waiting for a chance to go into that spiel, weren't you?

No content in DDO is hard, sorry. You don't need anything to successfully complete EE content, other than a non-gimp build.

Completionists do not become completionists because they can't run EE, and they don't become completionists because they want to be stronger for EE. You seem to be confused. Most completionists become completionists because there's nothing else to do.

Barbarian as the first life
    Pally as the second

Barb as a legend life sucks

Not completionist yet 2 lives yet to go after this one.

Community Member

Most completionists become completionists because there's nothing else to do.
    So how is that an achievement? Educate me.

Community Member

So how is that an achievement? Educate me.
    This is getting ridiculous. I'm done now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Barbarian as the first life
    Pally as the second

Barb as a legend life sucks
    I'd do Bard first life. It's a very weak class but it's got a bunch of self buffs and heals that can make up for a lot until you can get some better requirement.

barbarian would be life 2, won't be so bad with some decent equipment from life 1 and a ton of Silver flame pots.

Then the rest of the melees in no particular order.

First caster life would be a wizard for the active PL on the other caster lives.

I'd do Bard first life. It's a very weak class but it's got a bunch of self buffs and heals that can make up for a lot until you can get some better requirement.

barbarian would be life 2, won't be so bad with some decent equipment from life 1 and a ton of Silver flame pots.

Then the rest of the melees in no particular order.

First caster life would be a wizard for the active PL on the other caster lives.
    Warchanter bard multi class is very strong post u19 imo, I had a lot of fun with it, I had almost barbarian levels of str with skaldic rage and divine might both going.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Things I recommend.

- Get melee lives out of the way ASAP. Ideally Barb 1st life.

- Craft Universal Weapons that are usable by the most classes. Having to burn a feat on Khopesh (because that's what I had) was tight on some lives.

- Trapping skills on any life you can is nice for the XP bonus.

- Absolutely level up some EDs each life. I didn't start doing that until about halfway through, but even that lessened the ED grind alot.

- Try to break up the monotony best you can. I never made a leveling path, nor followed a guide. Some lives I farmed a quest, other lives I didn't touch it once. It may have been slower then others pace, but it kept me from getting burnt out.

- Have an alt character or another game to switch to, to again break up the pace.

- Remember you are in a race with no one but yourself. Trying to keep pace with other TRs is great for like-minded company. But, don't stress it if you take a couple days off and fall behind.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Warchanter bard multi class is very strong post u19 imo, I had a lot of fun with it, I had almost barbarian levels of str with skaldic rage and divine might both going.
    Is this build written up somewhere?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FURYous View Post
    Personally if I could go back I would have skipped completionest altogether.
    This. A lot of the builds that I want to play, there isn't even room for the completionist feat. And with the insane power bloat that came with U14, the past lives really just don't mean that much. I still TR my characters occasionally, but it is more because I get bored with the current epic game and just really want to go back to when quests actually felt like D&D.

Also,
    Seriously? You're going to try and emulate Teh Troll that hard? He had least trolls decently, with amusing if generally worthless comments. Step up your game if you're going to try and play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast