Default Druid and fighter interaction.

Hi, I was at work, bored, and thinking about silly builds and how to make them maybe work for me. Specifically today, I was thinking about bears. I was wondering if a bear in form that activated the fighter defensive stance while having a weapon and shield equipped would count as wielding a shield for the greater stance enhancements?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Hi, I was at work, bored, and thinking about silly builds and how to make them maybe work for me. Specifically today, I was thinking about bears. I was wondering if a bear in form that activated the fighter defensive stance while having a weapon and shield equipped would count as wielding a shield for the greater stance enhancements?
    iirc pre u19 fighter stance and bear form were both being treated as stances and couldn't be on at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    iirc pre u19 fighter stance and bear form were both being treated as stances and couldn't be on at the same time.
    I really hope that has changed. If no one can tell me for sure, then I plan on rolling up a quick iconic test character to see. If it does work, I am thinking a druid 10 cleric 4 fighter 6
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I really hope that has changed. If no one can tell me for sure, then I plan on rolling up a quick iconic test character to see. If it does work, I am thinking a druid 10 cleric 4 fighter 6
    let me know

I did this on Lama when the Enhancement Pass was in first alpha. I have to be honest, I haven't redone this build on live yet, so i don't remember what the icon looks like for Stalwart stance, but I think I remember it not working. Either way...still got good numbers out of it.

Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Actually I think the icon on the right-hand side of your buff bar is the defensive stance... could be mistaken, could have been from a destiny I guess.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-25-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Matt Walsh:

Community Member

Default Did not work in 19.1

I tried this with an Iconic PDK and the greater stances did not work with druid in bear form. It was a shame because I wanted to stack the StD T5 Block and Cut with the various druid doublestrike goodness.

That sucks, back to the drawing board.
    Matt Walsh:

Figures, if they had stacked it might have been an interesting way to see if a bear tank could be made to work thru actually getting enough defenses.

Default not the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You can have both on, just in any animal form you are unarmed. Period. Sword, shield, grilled cheese sandwich, doesn't matter.
    Was that way pre u19*. Wouldn't shock me if it is still that way.
    Now shield mastery and imp shield mastery DO work in animal form.

*You would lose the extra PRR from S&B in animal form.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Bears + S&B have always been a bit weird.

What carries over (AFAIK): PRR & doublestrike bonuses from Shield Mastery, any passive bonuses from your shield, Imp Stalwart Defense bonuses

What doesn't work: Gtr Stalwart Defense bonuses, extended Intim threat amp from using a shield, Imp Shield Bash (? not sure about this one)

I.e., you can use defensive stance as a bear (hooray!), but you don't get any of the S&B-only bonuses (boo!), which kinda defeats the purpose of having them on a dire bear tank in the first place.

[Caveat emptor: drawing on memory and haven't verified any of this under U19.2.]

Community Member

Like some other posters, creating a viable bear druid is one of my quixotic dreams. Currently, I am theorycrafting a Druid 9, Bard 8, Cleric [Warpriest] 3. It survives by prr from all three classes, displacement from bard, and gets ghostly from item. Damage is AoE and Cleaves. Unfortunately, it will probably be better as a wolf and using Sleet Storm/Freedom of Movement.
    Last edited by Arashiro; 09-25-2013 at 03:01 PM.