Default Devs: actual constructive ideas about Mabar from someone who will not rage post :P

Love me these instance events and I first started playing ddo around the time of the first Mabar, it was the reason my first toon was a palemaster. I still have her and she is one of my main and favorite toons ^_^

About Mabar:
    -touché on the cr 24-28 zone, liches shut down Shiradi casters like nobodies business. XD
    -overall happy with the monster changes though, giants smacking melee's away was tiring, though damage seems a little high.
    -lag, yes its to be expected, but I hope something can be done to smooth it out.

The Dragon Fight:
    **Please** put a cap on the amount of people that can enter a spectral dragon instance. I know for a fact from testing that this causes lag. I remember back when people would create raid parties and keep dragging people into the same instance and guess what, lag was terrible and unplayable.
    however when only minimal people were in the zone (say 3 a room and 1 on a lever per room and lever) the fight was very smooth and no lag was encountered.

The Loot:
    I very much like the new rewards, 1 tome per character, cosmetics, augments, as well as the standard items we have all come to expect, know, and love. I can tell some extra time was spent on this event and the various forms of rewards is very nice and im sure all sorts of people can find a reason to partake in the festivities.

Overall:
    Favorite season IRL, and favorite event in game, its something i come to expect and enjoy every year now. new loot is appreciated but reduction in lag and an instance cap on the dragon fight would be a god send. thank you very much for reading and i hope you take some of this to heart ^_^

<3 turbine

Founder

There is a cap on the dragon instance. I believe it is 24. After the cap is reached it spawns additional instances.

I agree that this is a favorite festival

One change I'd make for those that are in off times or on wayfinder (those poor poor souls), is to have the dragon spawn every 2 hours or when the collectable limit is reached whatever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    There is a cap on the dragon instance. I believe it is 24. After the cap is reached it spawns additional instances.

actually people would create parties or raid parties, invite others to it when they got into a dragon instance, then kick them when the entered and keep inviting more people to supposedly give themselves the advantage of having a massive amount of peeps in one instance. . .unsurprisingly, this caused massive lag. XD

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post

Doesn't work that way. I have had over 40 before - predictably those failed.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Yeah, that was a nice little surprise last night. I took my cleric with my brand-spankin'-new enhancements into the event and had a pretty good time, overall.

However:
    * At no time did I get any drops for a Key. Last year I got them left, right, and center and it was a little ridiculous. (My ranger still has a stack of Keys sitting in bank. In hindsight, I should've brought her in because I could also have upgraded her Cloak of Night.) Granted, I wasn't on very long, relatively speaking, but I would hope that after about half an hour at least one Key would've dropped.

* On the other hand, I got nice drops of Chipped Skulls and the Fingerbones. I'm not sure if that's how it was for everyone, or if it was because I had a Medium Jewel of Fortune effect going on. (Forgot I had it on before jumping into Mabar.) Last year I had to grind and grind to get 500-1000 Motes, and last night's 30min-1 hr. play in Mabar netted me over 600 Motes. I don't know if the drop rate for a Key is packaged in with the other drops or its own thing, but if one can be tweaked without affecting the other, that would be awesome.

* As a result of having no Key (and not enough Motes to just buy one), I didn't get to jump into the Spectral Dragon fight, so no feedback there.

* There was an odd bit of something I can only call "damage lag" I noticed - when swinging on the newly-spawned, it took several seconds before any hits actually damaged them. For at least two swings, nothing landed and there'd be a yellow "0" for damage. Conceded, Power Attack could have been affecting that, but I doubt it because I would've simply missed with no damage display. If it's a spawn-lag issue, that needs tweaking.

* This point I'm not sure about: should just regular Skeletons be spawning in lvl 8-12? Because some of those were popping up, and of course were "too weak to give rewards."

* Also not sure on this: if you drink Night Black Coffee in the graveyard, does that count as "public" or would you have to step out of the graveyard? If the former, then my Turn Undead wasn't regenerating, although HP and SP were as they were supposed to.

Thanks for the Mabar sneak-peek! And I hope this means the Cloak is sticking around.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (28 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (16 Ranger), Alansa (23 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (28 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

Community Member

* There was an odd bit of something I can only call "damage lag" I noticed - when swinging on the newly-spawned, it took several seconds before any hits actually damaged them. For at least two swings, nothing landed and there'd be a yellow "0" for damage. Conceded, Power Attack could have been affecting that, but I doubt it because I would've simply missed with no damage display. If it's a spawn-lag issue, that needs tweaking.

happens in the regular game too. it appears to be turbine's provider. any little delay on the server is multiplied because of them. very, very, very annoying. as they've cost us multiple holiday weekends as well, i think turbine should can them. nobody pays for a game they can't play.

* This point I'm not sure about: should just regular Skeletons be spawning in lvl 8-12? Because some of those were popping up, and of course were "too weak to give rewards."

yay, old bugs. hopefully they can squash this before the real run. please bug report it.

* Also not sure on this: if you drink Night Black Coffee in the graveyard, does that count as "public" or would you have to step out of the graveyard? If the former, then my Turn Undead wasn't regenerating, although HP and SP were as they were supposed to.

graveyard should be public. donno if stuff like that is supposed to regen tho. there is an enhancement you can get to regen turns though.

gl.

Community Member

Other than the lagfest, I enjoy the changes, at least in 26-30.

1. Everything I needed from the traditional vendor I had, so new vendor gives a reason to run.
    2. Thanks, on behalf of melee, for changing the lich dust drop mechanic to match other mobs, and for vastly increasing their spawn rate to nearly every mob group.

My only suggestion, is please consider explaining the collectible reward mechanics in game somehow. A lot of unecessary bickering occurs when people assume the mechanics match CC, which they do not. You manage to explain the Signet mechanic via the NPC, so I believe the collectible mechanics could be explained the same way.

My only question, I infer from the preview vampire fangs are again only found at lower level instances?

Community Member

My brother and I were very excited to run the event, but were disappointed and gave up after 3 hours due to the following:

1. First dragon raid, lvl 26-30, was a complete slide show. Couldn't even tell what our health was or pull levers. Raid failed in 30 seconds.

2. Second dragon raid, lvl 26-30, did not have much lag, but we still failed before we got the dragon down to half despite having a full raid group of some of the great toons on the server that were all communicating over voice (props to the person who took the initiative to go to each room and make sure people joined the raid group for the instance). Problem is the gargoyle hit points are too high on lvl 26-30, and when you get swamped by 10+ gargoyles you can't kill or crowd control them fast enough to prevent the altar from getting destroyed or levers from getting pulled. While all the lvl 25 and lower groups were reporting successes, I did not hear of one lvl 26-30 success on our server. You need to go back to the drawing board on lvl 26-30, because if it goes that way live I'm not going to waste my time.

3. Farmed ingredients outside for a while, until we realized that all the ingredients were worthless since there are no ML 28 items to purchase, and we already have the older stuff.

4. Quite the event since lvl 26-30 raiding was impossible and the other ingredients are worthless for anyone that already has the ML 24 items.

Community Member

Default Bugs and Suggestions

Starting with the bugs:
    Vampires (other than the vampire lords) did not load any graphics and thus could only be hit with AOE attacks. This is not the source of this bug, since the damage done to the "invisvamp" was also invisible. The only way to know we had killed it was to listen for the death scream accompanying the 'teleport poof'. I personally killed approximately 10 of them and did not receive a vampire fang drop.

Not so much a bug as an issue with game mechanics and how the spawns work, single target spells refuse to target a creature until hit with an AOE, melee attack or weapon ranged attack. Since ray spells are not targeted like bows (could that be fixed please!), casters must open up with an AOE if they wish to engage at range.

Suggestions:
    Please lock the level of the zone! When I select 16-20 and kill a mob only to receive a message "The creature was too weak to provide rewards", I can look over my shoulder to see a level 9 standing there.

Expanded gear options -
    Mabar gems. If you included the effects from the Robe of Shadow on a gem, we could have Armor of Shadow. Something along those lines would be a tremendous boon to the game. I love work that has gone into maintaining the viability of multiclassing, it would be great if reward lists for gear reflected it.
    Another, and possibly much better option, would be to allow the use of mabar items (motes of night, vampire fangs) in the Cannith crafting system. You would just need to add the effects such as Boon of Undeath from the Shadow Robe to the crafting list requiring those items as ingredients.
    Yet another option would be to have various collectors scattered about the zone. They could then be set to offer different rewards. Such as one offering the Robes/Wands, another offering Light Armor and Light Weapons and a third offering Heavy Armor/Heavy Weapons. This option would expand the immersion into the game as well as provide more incentive for those drawn to different classes to participate.

Mini instanced areas-
    Adding small instanced areas, like is done in the Orchard, would assist with the "random mage strike" issue. I've lost count of the number of times I patiently wait in an area for mobs to spawn only to have a caster run through and Fireball the whole mess. Melees definitely lose love on these events. It would give single target focused characters a way more fully enjoy the event. The areas could be crypts that have become unsealed, formed portals to Mabar that have to be closed from the other side or even a vortex of spirits that you have to enter in order to destroy the locus that binds them.

Due to personal time constraints, I was unable to enter the raid instance. Sorry I am unable to provide feedback on it!