Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

I hate to say it but it sounds like the Dev Team's focus is a bit misguided. So long as we don't lag wipe on the dragons so we can actually get signets I don't care if lich dust or vamp vangs aren't dropping at the top tier because I can buy them with motes. There's nothing else for us to really spend them on anyway without a new tier to upgrade to.

So long as Mabar is actually playable I'm sure the community doesn't care if mummies come out of the ground funny or moonwalk or electric slide. Top priority should be lag issues.
    Member of Over Raided, level 100 Guild on Orien
    DPS: If it's not solving all your problems, you simply aren't using enough of it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Tonight only (6:00 PM until 12:00 AM Eastern, -4 GMT!) Visit Delera's Graveyard in House Jorasco to see a special preview of the Mabar Festival of Endless Night! Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun!
    I had a really big problem with lag, and it seemed like the mote prices were high for the frequency they can be obtained, but over all it was still fun.

Community Member

Mabar has been fun the times i've managed to participate. Though it does seem to go down a lot. I was able to play a little last night. The lichs are abit over powered in my opinion and would expect after that fight that they would give a lich dust. but like the vampires, who remain fangless, the lich seems to have no dust. The mobs are so close together that even if your trying to avoid getting lower level or higher level Monsters it'd be impossible. The rate of dragon spawn makes it so that those of us with little time to do the event can only see it maybe once or twice through out the event, and to upgrade an item takes multiple runs. I think that when somebody suggested an instance or perhaps a wilderness area for each group would be a great thought to atleast entertain. As it is I think the event is fun, but I think it needs work still. Lag is a big issue aswell. I die more from lagging while trying to get out of the way then when I'm fighting.

Community Member

Hello, I ran it once last night in the 20-25 instance with my 20 cleric. I don't know what happened. The dragon was at 50% and then I am being teleported out. No signet, no death. Lag maybe but it didn't seem like it. I checked every bag and spot in inventory, no key returned or signet obtained. Sucks to be me I guess. I'll try again next time.

Community Member

Tonight only (6:00 PM until 12:00 AM Eastern, -4 GMT!) Visit Delera's Graveyard in House Jorasco to see a special preview of the Mabar Festival of Endless Night! Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun!
    The event was pretty much what was expected. Nice new augments for sigil turn-ins. Probably will be very handy and with a min level 1, quite useful. Very, very low drop rate for vampire and lich dusts...none dropped the whole night during event that I saw. Decent turn-in rate for motes though...that was great to see.

Community Member

Overall I had a good experience however there are targeting issues and the resetting of mobs might need some attention and the amount of mobs in the 12-17 was sparse compared to the 16-20.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Default "along with several other things"...and four years of this *other thing*

I wanted to answer a couple of questions I've seen ... along with several other things. Again, don't read the above paragraph as a promise, but that's the goal. We'll bring you more information on this possibility soon.
    Hello Cordovan.

Thank you for answering questions. The information is appreciated.

Now: for four years Mabar has been reported to freeze up in the dragon chamber, making the dragon chamber unplayable when it happens. The cosmetic hats information and the signet information is great, really, but "along with several other things" is all we get about the very singular most important issue concerning this event? it can not be news to Turbine staff that the dragon chamber freezes; it's been happening for four years. Turbine needs to man up here and talk about this. What good is the information on the signets when chances are good that the very quest to obtain the signets might freeze up and fail?

What do you all know about the causes of these freeze ups?

Why have you all been unable to fix this problem in the four hears you've been working on Mabar?

Why did you all roll Mabar out if you had not yet resolved this freezing up problem?

This is no rant, nor an attack on you nor other Turbine staff. I am disappointed, and I would really like answers to these questions; I would really really like a candid aknowledement and information on this topic above and beyond a footnote "along with several other things".
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zafaron View Post
    I always wondered why a different instance wasn't created for each group that joins, like quests.
    I always wondered why people asked this question. It's not set up like a quest because IT'S NOT A QUEST! And it would suck if it was set up that way. Half the fun is the ad-hoc alliances that come and go, and watching people cry about kill stealing. It's pretty clearly meant to be a public battleground.

If you want a quest, go do quests; there are plenty of them.

Community Member

Default Lagfest

My experience was mostly positive. I found that the mob spawn rates were good at higher tiers, but my level 9 starved to death with long droughts. I feel like the number of finger bones was increased, which is good.

My big problem: lag at the dragon. Just adding to the chorus. I got two dragon runs in. The first was a complete disaster due to lag. We couldn't fight or move at all. It was a little comic to rubber band a it for a few seconds and then go from ~280 hp to dead.

I would like to see something done to prevent using up keys when you enter an instance that kicks you out. I used a key, entered, and then got kicked back out immediately. I'm not hurting for keys after four years, but I used three or four keys before I got an instance to stick. Newer players might find this too high a price.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the event.

Thanks!

We are also taking a look at the possibility of making some tweaks to several things that could make it into a patch that would be released prior to the activation of the Mabar event, but it's a bit early to give any definite confirmation, since that work has not yet taken place nor been validated through the QA process. Among the things we're looking at is adjusting either the drop rates or Mote cost of Vampire Fangs and/or Lich Dust, fixing the issue where mummies are sliding on their backs or crawling out of the ground incorrectly, and looking at the "invisible vampire" issue, along with several other things. Again, don't read the above paragraph as a promise, but that's the goal. We'll bring you more information on this possibility soon.

Rather sad to see that despite years of feedback, Turbine will only address the minor glitches with the event and not the fundamental flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance777 View Post
    Orien's level 26-30 Dragon just lost due to instance lagging out. This event isn't going to be fun if we have to farm the wilderness for 4+hours just to see it wipe as soon as the mobs spawn in the dragon instance because of lag.

Here's what keeps happening:

When the mass of Gargoyle mobs spawn'd in, pre-aggroed on the alter the players can no longer move. The only chance players have is if enough firewalls and bladebarriers are on the alter that mobs die as they hit it thus removing the mobs, stopping the lag.

This same bug has been happening since Mabar's inception and still happens in many raids.

STOP making content where mobs spawn in pre aggroed on an object. Your servers can't handle pre-aggroed mobs and so many players in one spot.

Replace the half dozen gargoyles that spawn in the alter rooms with 2 big mobs instead and have them spawn in like the ones in the Litany of the Dead's ambush room where they look for the object/player to attack for 1 second before doing so. The mobs with preset aggro freeze the players when they spawn.

Your game's engine can not handle 24 players in an instance calculating 24+ mobs instantly spawning already aggroe'd on the alters. It can barely handle LOTB's mob spawn in at the end of that raid.

Your game handles the wilderness well with dozens of players and mobs up at once. The difference is the wilderness mobs spawn passive, there's something seriously bugged with the aggressive mobs spawning in. Maybe the game can't handle all the threat tables being calculated at once? In the wilderness they only aggro on what attacks them and that seems to keep lag down.

Maybe redo the mob ai in the dragon rooms so they spawn in, wait a few milliseconds then attack the alter instead of having them spawn in gunning for the alter before they even appear fully?
    Some good points made. To add: aggro switching extremely rapidly in such cases combined with aoe (usually multiple aoe) animations may be a factor.
    -Advise users to nerf their graphics quality. I believe this is a more viable improvement than these:
    -BAN THE COMPANIONS.
    -Depending on what code (PRNG vs TRNG eg.) you use modular arithmetic may be the SOLE source, especially with LCGs, which is counter-intuitive, I know. Windows has so many (we're talking scientific notation here) subroutines that constantly are "checking the time" that any confirmation flags raised add/interfere to/with ALL of their cache dependence. Windows will compensate by leaching cache, even dedicated cache, to prevent crash. This may manifest to users as "momentary schizophrenic screen fluidity" or "lag".
    So you could just offer me a job in tech..
    -Feed the hamster Red Bull instead of ham and broccoli.

Community Member

Default My Mabar feedback

Not much different from others, really. L18 Druid in the level-appropriate instance.

1. Ran into the invisible vampires. Dunno if I killed any. Couldn't see.

2. Mobs sliding around on the ground. Mostly mummies as far as I could tell.

3. Collected 3 keys in a couple hours, so not bad in that regard. Dragon instance succeeded, even tho I had to solo a room. At least with few players in the instance, there was no lag issue.

4. Wanted a +5 stat tome, so tried to trade my signet in for it. Wouldn't let me. No indication why. I thought it was cause I was L18 and since you need to be L19 to USE it, I couldn't trade for it either (like the DDO store sometimes does). Someone said it costs 3 signets.. if so, I didn't see that. When I went back to confirm and see if I was just blind to something obvious, the event had already closed, of course.

5. Was soloing up by Delera's quest and a party took over my area. No problem, just kept going. Then got invited to join (which was nice.. I've seen soloers told to bug off in that situation), so I did. My drops dropped (sorry) by about 80% as soon as I was in a group of 6-8 people. Seemed like the total number of drops/hour stayed pretty constant, I was just getting a fraction of them instead of all. Would've liked to have left, but since they were now in my spot, it woulda felt rude. Solo or party I was never in any risk of dying, tho I did have my wolf buy the farm after about an hour.

6. What's up with Shadar Kai in the graveyard? They aren't undead; they aren't even from Eberron. Best I recall, they aren't from Mabar either. If you want new graveyard mobs, werewolves make more sense. (Not sure there's any in Eberron in DDO, but there's no specific reason there couldn't/shouldn't be, like there is with Shadar Kai).

There should never be a 'too low to give rewards' message unless you enter an instance below your level. Mobs in an instance should have at least a minimum level based on the instance level range. If lower-level toons enter a higher-level instance, they should die, not spawn lower-level mobs. Basing the NUMBER of spawns on nearby toons makes some sense, basing their LEVEL on it doesn't.

Here's my suggestion.. make mob spawns completely independent of nearby toons, both in number and level; just make it instance-level-based. If the groups of mobs are too big for soloing, people will group up naturally. And find some way to better balance the droprate for solo vs group farming and you'll discourage the soloers 'tagging' mobs near large groups to reward-steal. Since the groups will assume they were there first even if they weren't, there's some negative assumptions about soloing that would be nice to stamp out. Alternatively, while keeping mob spawns independent of nearby toons, you COULD modify the spawns by location, thereby encouraging big/powerful groups to migrate to some of the more out-of-the-way parts of the graveyard, while making the main lanes and entry spawn smaller, more survivable groups.
    Last edited by Zistra; 09-25-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: My chain of consciousness entry separated a couple of related pieces. Better now.

Remove the LAG and freeze and that will be nice add-on event to the game.

Without is - no meter what you change/add that will be still trash event.
    In the other word = the sooner thet will end that will be better for all.

When that event will be playable - the we will talk.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Player remembers. Player never forgets.

Well, Played it for a bit, and think many people have covered most of the common issues. I'll just restate the ones I found most bothersome.

1st: This is my third Mabar, and as usual, the preview was a lag-fest. Not as bad as in years past, but still a bit laggy... hopefully as usual, it'll be better when we go again.

2nd: the level instances... these really need to be locked to either bar out of level toons from entering, or spawn only CR specific mobs... can't tell you how aggravating it is to be in a lvl 20-25 specific instance and have a lvl 8 toon run through and spawn a bunch of trash, just to run away and leave it.

3rd: Had a few mobs in lvl 20-25 instance on a lvl 20 toon, give the "too weak for reward" message.

4th: a way to change CR lvl instance without needing to run to the gate/trader would be great.

The rest, well, it's Mabar.
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Looks like most people gave you the same issues I found with the preview. So thought I would make a suggestion for a signet trade in item. How about a pet of some sort? Just an idea.

Community Member

Thumbs up Mabar is ddo"s best

Had an epic blast! got bout 6k motes my signets a lev16 robe too bad it ended just as i was about to really get my loot on..and a +5 tome.

I'll have to wait for the real thing now! I have plenty of epic mabar loot from past years of running...out of all the fests the mabar loot fits my play style the best...This one judging just from the taste we got is going to be best one yet.. I am finally starting to really enjoy the new ddo....

Community Member

Cool It was frakkin awesome quit yer whining! nice to hear another happy person like me

Quote Originally Posted by gencydefen View Post
    "Hi Mom, Can't make it for the dinner we planned tonight. Have to defend a graveyard from undead, sure you understand."

If only this would work.
    whining about lagg really on a one day fest what do expect no change there was a tiny amount of lagg ..if you have a fast int net providr and decent hardware.... I didnt even notice it I was on for entire session they even allowed mabar to drop extra rewards its was tottally awesome shut ur holes... as for the dragon your talking about multi raid groups in the same dungeon ladies get a grip that was great couldnt get enough

OK. My two cents worth.

First of all, the preview was a lot of fun overall, though there seemed to be a few problems.

I was playing an 18th level artificer/ranger. I was playing on the 15-19 level area.

As a few others have noted, there seemed to be spawns that would disappear in a few seconds. Not sure if this is a bug or is supposed to be a feature.

The invisible vampires were quite vexing. I noticed that monks seemed able to see them, as well as iron defenders. They seemed able to cast spells attacking you, but remain invisible.

Having managed to kill a number of vampires anyway, I never saw a drop of vampire fangs. I never saw any lich dust drop either, but I am not sure I killed any liches.

As others have noted as well, the spectral dragon fight had a lot of lag. In my one case the lag was bad, but not crippling. We did manage to kill the dragon.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    2 things I forgot to add:

- Except for my very last turn in of the night, I couldn't get the stones / bones / skulls turn in pumpkin to reset to accept the new item after completing a turn in of one type. I would have to close out the window and re-open it each time after turning in one type of the items needed.
    I've been having that the last few Mabars and Coves on a fairly regular basis... but not quite regular enough to make it "usual". It seems to me to happen most when I click on the button several times quickly and run out of turn-ins before queued button-hits.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Community Member

Default Easy, There...

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    Rather sad to see that despite years of feedback, Turbine will only address the minor glitches with the event and not the fundamental flaws.
    As someone who does a solid amount of troubleshooting and a little code re-writing at work, I know that sometimes you have to tackle the low-hanging fruit first. In software development, it sometimes makes sense to knock out the little things so that there are fewer code tweaks to come after the big ones are done.

Imagine fixing the lag in the dragon chamber, but then breaking it again when you fix the sliding mummy problem. A seemingly-minor problem can have some far-reaching implications in coding.

Of course, the opposite is completely possible as well. Sometimes, they just have to find the right boolean flag to turn from yes to no. Point is, I'm sure that they are doing their best to track down the problems. DDO grows every year, and every time they add code they also add complexity. Give your local dev a hug sometime.

Then again, maybe you're just looking for a "we're working on it?"

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast