Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Cool

Not gonna lie, I love Mabar, I'm a big Halloween guy. But, when you got vampires throwing spells around and you cant fight back that well it kinda sucks. Drops were very few and far in between. I notice a ton of lower level toons in with higher levels (saw a level 8 running around the 16-20 instance.....seriously?). There has got to be a way around that. Also, the damage was, for lack of a better term, off. I would hit a skeleton and there would be no weapon damage but the typed damage (holy) would show up. Then out of nowhere it would work right, then go out again a short time later. I couldn't go from one instance to the next, it forces me to stay in Deleras1 and I wasn't able to go over to Deleras2 and so forth. I don't know if that was just me or not. The damage not showing up seemed to be for a lot of people, and a good deal of clerics couldn't get their spells to work on the undead (healing spells come to mind). All in all though I like that you guys threw it on the live servers to see what would happen instead of going to Lam to test it out where almost nobody would be. Or at least not the volume that you get on the regular servers. That makes me think that any problems there are now should be hammered out by the time the festival is on for real. I was just really happy to get the level 8 wraps for my monk, that I liked and had to leave a message here for that if nothing else.

L25 character in the L20-25 area...4/5 creatures are "under level". Lag zilla the entire time...

So basically Mabar is bad as usual....why don't they just FIX the stuff we complain about instead of adding new stuff?

Community Member

A couple of quick notes after spending several hours participating in Mabar

- I received many lich dust (over 20) and no vampire fangs on level 26-30 instance. There seems to be a problem with the drop rate of those 2.
    - My party had really bad lag for a few minutes and were all booted out (Sarlona instance 2 level 26-30). Once we got back in everything was fine and I had no more lag the rest of the night - including the dragon fight
    - We never saw the dragon in our chamber (level 26-30) after several minutes. The group failed for reasons unknown - I guess an altar was destroyed.
    - Monster spawn rate and drop rate seemed reasonable - much better than last year
    - Overall it was much funner than last year
    - About 10% of the creatures were too weak to give rewards - much better than last year
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatfox View Post
    I noticed while running my level 25 toon that the liches in the 20-25 instance never drop lich dust like the level 26+ instance liches. Other than that, not much wrong with the graveyard part of it. But just a few minutes ago the dragon opened and the 20-25 instance lag wiped. It should have been real easy, the gargoyles only took a few hits to kill, but the lag made it impossible. To have such cool rewards based off of something you get in such a laggy encounter is pretty frustrating. Its frustrating to know that you didn't fail because of a lack of skill, or manpower, or resources, but because of lag.

Oh! I also noticed that cosmetic helms now cover up pumpkin heads! Fix it!
    running my level 24 monk in the 26+ instance I got nothing but skulls and fingerbones

Quote Originally Posted by gDra View Post
    As much as I understand you, please don't. We had a Lv25 in the 26-30 zone and I (Lv28) often wasn't getting rewards because the creatures were too weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velluminous View Post
    What gDra said. I was level 26 in the 26-30 zone and was getting "creature too weak" messages because of lower level players running around.
    I want to go into the dragon instance, I don't care about killing stuff in the graveyard. I have a level 12 sorc for collecting bits and bobs from monster kills.

Thumbs down lagbar as I've heard it called

I used to really like Mabar...used to. Disappointed to see no new gear but thought I'd upgrade the old stuff to lvl 24. Wish it wasn't bound to character...

Loved the addition of non-undead to kill but had to take my lvl 25 monk into the 26-30 group and still got some 'too low lvl to give loot' msgs

Still, killing mobs was fun for a couple hours, got 5 keys so no problem with drop rate there but 20,000 is waaaay to long to open spectral dungeon and of course like the last few years, we failed because everyone was lagged to the spot when the dragon arrived. Brand new, top of the line computer, I never lag unless in instance 2049 Orien & I was teleporting backwards too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Zafaron View Post
    (Oh, and make sure to include those +6 tomes, not just the +5 ones)
    I already made a post about this on Lama forums mate and Cordovan responded saying they had been removed due to the +6 not being applied on Lama and probably won't see the light of day until after Mabar
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Default Fix Aggro - fix lag?

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance777 View Post
    Orien's level 26-30 Dragon just lost due to instance lagging out. This event isn't going to be fun if we have to farm the wilderness for 4+hours just to see it wipe as soon as the mobs spawn in the dragon instance because of lag.

Here's what keeps happening:

When the mass of Gargoyle mobs spawn'd in, pre-aggroed on the alter the players can no longer move. The only chance players have is if enough firewalls and bladebarriers are on the alter that mobs die as they hit it thus removing the mobs, stopping the lag.

This same bug has been happening since Mabar's inception and still happens in many raids.

STOP making content where mobs spawn in pre aggroed on an object. Your servers can't handle pre-aggroed mobs and so many players in one spot.

Replace the half dozen gargoyles that spawn in the alter rooms with 2 big mobs instead and have them spawn in like the ones in the Litany of the Dead's ambush room where they look for the object/player to attack for 1 second before doing so. The mobs with preset aggro freeze the players when they spawn.

Your game's engine can not handle 24 players in an instance calculating 24+ mobs instantly spawning already aggroe'd on the alters. It can barely handle LOTB's mob spawn in at the end of that raid.

Your game handles the wilderness well with dozens of players and mobs up at once. The difference is the wilderness mobs spawn passive, there's something seriously bugged with the aggressive mobs spawning in. Maybe the game can't handle all the threat tables being calculated at once? In the wilderness they only aggro on what attacks them and that seems to keep lag down.

Maybe redo the mob ai in the dragon rooms so they spawn in, wait a few milliseconds then attack the alter instead of having them spawn in gunning for the alter before they even appear fully?
    I agree with vengenance's post. It often appears that lag is attributed with the threat tables. When large groups experience lag in an instance the lag (normally) disappears after all of the players have died. One thing I have noticed from past mabar events is that the lower level instances with less people in them (wilderness and dragon vault) seem to have far less issue with lag. Less people = smaller threat table, possible cause? If it is an issue related to monsters spawning with preset aggro one solution could be to have the alters use an intimidate skill after each spawn to draw the attention of the monsters.

The dragon vault is fun, the rewards are good. The worst part is the utter hopeless and waste of time after waiting hours in the public instance killing monsters, earning no xp, renown or treasure, only to be stuck unable to move until you are killed or the mission is failed. It is something that frustrates players immensely due to the fact that they want the rewards, they give the time and have the skill to get them but the game steals it from under their noses.

Just took a level 10 rogue through the Festival (including dragon) in the level-appropriate zone in Khyber:

Started out with a light repeater (Mechanic), but eventually gave up and switched to a Mace of the Wraith because it was so hard to get a monster started and I didn't want to waste bolts on nothing. Early on I ran into monsters (skeletons) that ended up being below my level because someone lower than I ran by and got the 'Monster too low to drop items' message. I worked myself away from others so that I would be spawning my own monsters. Monsters that I spawned myself take a frustratingly long time to pop up. I tended to see ghouls (Level 6) and wights (Level 8).

The drop rates for the monsters seemed low--I felt I went a long time (5-6 kills) before seeing a drop message. Yet I was able by the end of my less than an hour to get 530 motes, so the frequency of higher mote-dropping items and good mote returns from those items were helpful.

Got a Key of Eternity within the first 15-20 minutes of being in the Graveyard, so when the doors opened, I was ready. I was with a Level 13-14 wizard on one of the levers. Things appeared well until the crippling lag (rubber banding). I got a chance to look into our room with the dragon in it and it appeared we got it down to about 10% despite that. In the end though, we got a message that one of the altars had broken and the dragon escaped. We were still getting gargoyle waves until kicked. No Key afterward, and 'Joe' said there was another 25 minutes left.

I entered in the level-appropriate zone. I was deposited into one of the Shared instances--a fact i was not aware of until a Weep and Shadar-kai Assassin spawned as I passed (from someone higher passing by first, I assume). I fought the weep (level 16) and lived. No drop.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

It was nice when Mabar was first introduced in the game. Now it just sucks real bad. Shadar-kai suck in house J. Lag is real bad. You should lower the amount of stuff needed to open the chamber.
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Running on a raid sized PUG, levels 20+ - on G-Land

I'm on a lvl 21 Druid. Just lagged out completely, after various interesting "lag" events that almost all ended in my character's death.

I'm seeing similar problems as when the Giants first came out. Mobs are spawning in large groups where we are concentrated and "lag" happens. When I say "large concentrations" it looks like anywhere from 50-100.

I have not seen a Dragon yet. The hand-in is terribly slow. People in-party are complaining. Hearsay tells me the last (only?) dragon lagged out.

No one I have asked has seen a single Lich Dust either. This does not seem much different from the last Mabar I participated in except, well, I did hear a few reports of people getting them after a couple hours.
    Nor have I picked up any black opals or whatever they are.
    No fangs dropped either.
    I picked up one key after approximately an hour and 15 mins in.

I don't like the Shadar-Kai, personally. Night Hags, shadows, or Puppet Masters make more sense thematically.
    But the Dev's continual separation of FR from Eberron, makes this change unpalatable, frankly.

The tenacious (or is that bloody-minded?) hunter killer AI of the Shadar-Kai make life really hard for anyone who casts an AOE. Add in the over-spawn problem (which, IIRC, you never really fixed with the Giants), and suddenly you're A** deep in Shadar-Kai. They aren't fun at the moment. Give me back my fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I know this may sound like a recrimination, but it's meant as a useful criticism:

This enthusiasm to incorporate mobs from your newest update or "expansion pack" (e.g. Giants with Epic Gianthold, and now Shadar-Kai with the new "expansion pack" that couldn't be bothered to include a raid), seem ill-advised or slightly too ambitious for y'all.

Honestly, why would you go ahead with new mobs, that apparently have the same spawn bugs, when you never were able to get the last ones to work right?

I have no idea who's judgement call it was, but it was questionable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
    I just logged back in to find a dragon run. LAG

I've heard complaints about lag but, in general, I seldom experience it directly.

I could not walk down a hallway, I could not climb a ladder. Everyone in the instance was crying.
    Last edited by Phaeton_Seraph; 09-25-2013 at 02:48 AM.

So after 3 hours, Dragon opened. Used a key, got an instance with less than 16 people. Since you can't go in with a party or raid group, burning a key on these instances is definitely a feel bad moment. Failing still uses up your Key. Someone in channel mentioned needing to burn 2 keys because of a failed teleport lock.

I was the only on on the SW lever, and although you'd think that it'd work like U18's freeing-the-prisoners mechanic, it doesn't... Kiting the gargoyles away from the lever doesn't matter. They still shut off the skylight anyway.

All in all, rather disappointed with the event.

Second dragon run, horrendous crippling lag that prevents any actions for a good 5 mins. Somehow the AoE saved us and we pulled through, still: unplayable and not fun at all. All I could do was attack in place and hope mobs would run into it.

1. Failed dragon due to lag! Could not attack or move once the dragon appeared!

2. Sort out the CR of spawning mobs and prevent people who are level 25 from entering the 25-30 range instance since it screws things up for the higher players, same can be said for all instances for that matter.

Stoner81.

Community Member

1. Lagtastic, those instances should not be shared amongst people who aren't in your group;

2. A CR 26 - 30 area contain CR 22 - 26 mob, which is incorrect, most of those monsters yields nothing for a level 27 or 28.

Hero

Lvl 28 in the 25+ instance:

HOLY MABAR LAG! Dragon summoning chamber, I and everyone else couldn't move. Half the raid party I was in insta-died. Lots of upset people. I just kept casting spells, saw the motion, spells must have gone off as things were dying and I saw numbers - albeit very much after when they were cast.

More mobs were "under level" and such have no rewards! Why? It's the top tier! Everything should be high enough level to give ingredients. If it's spawning lower level mobs because of lower levels toon in the instance, stop it! Let the lower levels die and switch instances where they belong.

It needs lots and lots of work. It's horrible at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfaze View Post
    The dragon vault is fun, the rewards are good. The worst part is the utter hopeless and waste of time after waiting hours in the public instance killing monsters, earning no xp, renown or treasure, only to be stuck unable to move until you are killed or the mission is failed. It is something that frustrates players immensely due to the fact that they want the rewards, they give the time and have the skill to get them but the game steals it from under their noses.
    Exactly...perfectly said

Second attempt was even more fun than the first. Managed to be in a group of nice folk who didn't mind showing the other clueless gent and I the ropes. Aside from a few mobs not being visible, everything ran smoothly and a good time was had by all.

I think this event has broken me of my years long "No grouping in DDO" rule.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

Default glad to be back

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Tonight only (6:00 PM until 12:00 AM Eastern, -4 GMT!) Visit Delera's Graveyard in House Jorasco to see a special preview of the Mabar Festival of Endless Night! Once you're done, come back here and tell us about your experience! Thanks, and have fun!
    I've had such horrible computer problems lately and it's been some time since I've been back on here... today is my first day and i'd like to say I like the changes I see in the mabar fest and I hope to spend much more time when the real fest comes around I've missed so much time on here and i'm glad I can get back to make up for some of it

Community Member

I have to admit to being somewhat amazed that after all these years none of the major objections to the mechanisms have been addressed.

The weird mix of monsters is also hard to understand.. all undead at the lower levels, and half non-undead in the 26-30. Although I was actually skulking around the 26-30 with my level 13 rogue trying to assassinate Shadar-kai which was a rush.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast