Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Once again I find myself having to reset my graphics every 2-3 logins, and I get to see the start of the opening movie until I hit Esc every 4-5 logins. About every 8-9 logins I get to reset my launcher options.

Why? Because, once again, each of these things periodically go back to default settings (like a fresh install).

Please make this stop.
    Some one around you is fiddling with your pc, might even be long distance.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Default I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Some one around you is fiddling with your pc, might even be long distance.
    Turbine is trolling me.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    New patch; same problem. Granted, the last few times it stopped after a day or three, but why is it happening at all?

Why is the game messing up the UserPreferences.ini file?
    As i recall from a thread on it in tech support a few months back its something to do with the file not being saved or being corrupted when the game crashes/closes. I think copying the file once you get settings set where you want them then replacing the new/corrupt one with the copy each time you go to load the game will do for a workaround. Bit of a hassle, but i don't recall there ever being official word on it.

Community Member

Seriously, though.

This problem began with the update that brought us the new launcher options (Keep launcher open, Allow multiple game instances). I opt to keep the launcher open so I can cycle through the servers faster for the Daily Dice.

I noticed that both the launcher and the game read from and write to the UserPreferences.ini file. Is it likely that there is an occasional conflict between the launcher and the game with respect to accessing the UserPreferences.ini file that would cause it to be miswritten?

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

I was having trouble with that file way before then, but its possible and perhaps likely. For a while the game was crashing on me every time i loaded it after a fresh reboot, and during the crash was when it messed up the file. So everything was reset on me daily, except for turning off voicechat (seems that is actually saved on a character by character basis instead of an account wide settings file). The preloader solved the issue for me, but the file does get read multiple times before you get into the game. I'm no computer genius but i assume each time its accessed it could be corrupted.

I believe the file also stores your last logged into server, so that its plausible when it goes to read or write there and the launcher is still open to access the file something goes nuts. Maybe closing the launcher each time you log in a server would prevent the file being goofed up.

Community Member

I was thinking about clearing the Keep launcher open option just to see if the problems stopped. What I find confusing is that the problems have stopped within a couple of days, then re-appear with each update. :/

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12