Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warchanter help

Default Warchanter help

Making my first bard, and it's a warchanter. The only definites are that it will use a 2 handed weapon, and it will be either Human or Half-Elf.

What race, stats, feats, and if a half-elf, dilittente should I take?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silikin View Post
    Making my first bard, and it's a warchanter. The only definites are that it will use a 2 handed weapon, and it will be either Human or Half-Elf.

What race, stats, feats, and if a half-elf, dilittente should I take?
    Human is the obvious choice for the boilerplate 2HF build: PA, Cleave/GC, THFx3, IC: Slashing, plus the bonus feat for Emp Heal since you're a Bard, which IMO outweighs any Dilettante benefits.

STR and CON, obviously. If you're just playing it straight melee and buffs, then you can dump CHA, put your skillpoints into UMD. I'd probably recommend this, given the supremacy of DPS and the time lag involved in bard songs. You still get Otto's Irresistible, which is no-save. Nothing really unintuitive about it

add in 1 level of cleric or fvs and 2 levels of fighter and grab stunning blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    add in 1 level of cleric or fvs and 2 levels of fighter and grab stunning blow.
    Oh, and another definite: No splashing in the class pool

Oh, and another definite: No splashing in the class pool
    That's definately your choice, just wanted to offer up the most powerful suggestions.

THF - go human or half-orc.

TWF - go half elf or halfling.

With THF, I'd recommend human.

I maybe wouldn't bother with the THF feat chain. PA, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Crit, Quicken, Empower Heal as a core + maybe Extend, Dragonmark, Force of Personality, etc. would be a good enough setup. You're likely to be running in Fury of the Wild ED, so maybe the THF feats aren't that important.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I would recommend THF over TWF simply because it's a whole lot easier and saves you 3 feats. Additionally, if you are not doing significant SA I just wouldn't bother.

If pure, you have 7/8 feats, no need to take THF feats unless you need for ED pre-req. H-Orc has the nice racial enhancement line for 2HF so it is always an option.

(1) PA, (3) Cleave, (6) G. Cleave, (9) Extend {Rage, Haste, Displacement/Blur}, (12) IC: Slash/Bludge, (15) Empower Heal {ED - Caccoon/Heals}, (18) Maximize/Touphness/Other

If Human, add Dragon mark for DD {you can scroll it but saves you inventory/spell slot }

Quote Originally Posted by abyssalmage View Post
    i would recommend thf over twf simply because it's a whole lot easier and saves you 3 feats. Additionally, if you are not doing significant sa i just wouldn't bother.

If pure, you have 7/8 feats, no need to take thf feats unless you need for ed pre-req. H-orc has the nice racial enhancement line for 2hf so it is always an option.

(1) pa, (3) cleave, (6) g. Cleave, (9) extend {rage, haste, displacement/blur}, (12) ic: Slash/bludge, (15) empower heal {ed - caccoon/heals}, (18) maximize/touphness/other

if human, add dragon mark for dd {you can scroll it but saves you inventory/spell slot }
    sa? Ed? Pa?

Quote Originally Posted by abyssalmage View Post
    i would recommend thf over twf simply because it's a whole lot easier and saves you 3 feats. Additionally, if you are not doing significant sa i just wouldn't bother.

If pure, you have 7/8 feats, no need to take thf feats unless you need for ed pre-req. H-orc has the nice racial enhancement line for 2hf so it is always an option.

(1) pa, (3) cleave, (6) g. Cleave, (9) extend {rage, haste, displacement/blur}, (12) ic: Slash/bludge, (15) empower heal {ed - caccoon/heals}, (18) maximize/touphness/other

if human, add dragon mark for dd {you can scroll it but saves you inventory/spell slot }
    sa? Pa? Ed?

sa? Pa? Ed?
    sneak attack
    power attack
    epic destiny

Thanks. I have now decided that Power Attack will be a definite. It is especially awesome since I will be using a two handed weapon. However, since I can't use any two handed weapons until level 5 (because of the level requirement for the martial weapon proficiency enhancement) should I wait until level 6?

Thanks. I have now decided that Power Attack will be a definite. It is especially awesome since I will be using a two handed weapon. However, since I can't use any two handed weapons until level 5 (because of the level requirement for the martial weapon proficiency enhancement) should I wait until level 6?
    cast master's touch

it's also why most splash barbarian or fighter levels, or part of it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    cast master's touch

it's also why most splash barbarian or fighter levels, or part of it anyways.
    Is it possible to retrain spells?

I haven't tried on a bard, that said other classes with the same mechanic such as sorc or fvs can retrain with their trainers as either one spell every 3 days or if you use a blood of dragons item (rare drop and ddo store) you can retrain as many as you want.

Bard spell swap works just like for a sorc. Go to your trainer, can swap 1 per three days (last I checked anyway). Unless you use a draconic blood elixir, which lets you spend an hour swamping to your heart's content
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    If pure, you have 7/8 feats, no need to take THF feats unless you need for ED pre-req.

If Human, add Dragon mark for DD {you can scroll it but saves you inventory/spell slot }
    I dunno about that - the difference between glancing blows on GTHF and no-feats is 20% on 1st/4th, and 50% on 1st/3rd/4th. Considering how much base damage contributes to your total melee DPS (compared with special effects), especially as you get further into the game, that adds up: a 4-hit attack chain will do +40% base damage with no THF, vs +150% base damage with full THF. That's 27% more base damage per attack, well worth 3 feats IMO.

Also, keep in mind that your optimal attack chain timing with Cleave/GC is going to be 1,2-3, Cleave, 1,2-3, GC, repeat...so having no THF only gives you 2 glancing blows per loop (Cleave/GC will trigger GBs), as opposed to 3 with GTHF - a difference from 40% base to 150% base bonus damage, again.

Also, DD can be scrolled? I thought they removed DD scrolls from the game a long time ago - you mean Teleport?
    Last edited by droid327; 09-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I dunno about that - the difference between glancing blows on GTHF and no-feats is 20% on 1st/4th, and 50% on 1st/3rd/4th. Considering how much base damage contributes to your total melee DPS (compared with special effects), especially as you get further into the game, that adds up: a 4-hit attack chain will do +40% base damage with no THF, vs +150% base damage with full THF. That's 27% more base damage per attack, well worth 3 feats IMO.

Also, keep in mind that your optimal attack chain timing with Cleave/GC is going to be 1,2-3, Cleave, 1,2-3, GC, repeat...so having no THF only gives you 2 glancing blows per loop (Cleave/GC will trigger GBs), as opposed to 3 with GTHF - a difference from 40% base to 150% base bonus damage, again.

Also, DD can be scrolled? I thought they removed DD scrolls from the game a long time ago - you mean Teleport?
    dd can be scrolled but it's a rare drop, I might get one scroll every other tr life.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Many folks running THF melee are going to be running in Fury - which grants the feats in its epic moment.

For the question on retraining - YES, you can retrain spells at the class trainer.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Many folks running THF melee are going to be running in Fury - which grants the feats in its epic moment.

For the question on retraining - YES, you can retrain spells at the class trainer.
    Fury?

looked up fury, found two things, a greatsword and an ED.
    Kinda off topic, but the greatsword had Wounding. Does wounding stack with itself, i.e. if I hit someone 3 times with a Wounding weapon will they take 3 CON damage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast