Community Member

Default Build request: Easy mode Monk for past life please

Hi all,

I've taken my first steps along the road to completionist - might or might not ever get there, but I'd like to get Monk out of the way. I'm looking for an easy play build for 2 reasons. 1) I have NO experience of the class. None. I've never taken one past level 7 and found it difficult to understand. 2) I may just revisit Monk again later in the TR chain, and would like to be able to try a more complex build. So this one is kinda a primer.

I don't really have any "rules" in terms of what I'd like to play, but
    - I don't want to have to worry about traps. This is not set in stone, but I have not yet seen a way to max Search, Spot and Disable with a monk/rogue splash.
    - I would like (if possible/viable) 12 Monk levels. Again, not set in stone, and happy to take advice.
    - I don't mind if it's UA or Stick, or another weapon. I'll take any input available.
    - I have NO monk gear. I can farm it this life for sure, so any advice on critical items through the levels are appreciated - not an exhaustive list, just some pointers would be nice.
    - I'd like some self healing. This is what I couldn't get a handle on when I tried to play Monk before. The L-L-L finisher ticked around too slowly to seem of any practical use. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Lastly, I'd love some playstyle tips. Basic stuff mainly, such as "Do I still use Ki moves and finishers with a weapon?" and "Should I be taking TWF or THF feats? Do they work?"

Thanks,

Aes.

Community Member

Default Is this nuts?

5 Rogue/6 Arti/9 Monk

Start 14/15/15/17/6/6 Warforged EDIT2: Using a Big Stick

EDIT: That's on a 32-pt build. I'll actually have 36 since this is third life. So I guess Wis 10?

All level ups into Int.

Rogue 5 -> Sneak Attack 3D6, Uncanny Dodge
    Monk 9 -> Improved Evasion, Fast Movement, AC, Slowfall, 3 Martial arts feats
    Arti 6 -> Int to damage, 1 meta feat

So we go Dex to hit, and Int to damage.

Warforged because of the repair spells and TWF enhancements as well as the extra HP (not a big deal).

CONS: Cannot wear a runearm and stay centered. At 6 Arti, you can only take one spell - Int to dmg. At 7 you could also take Repair Critical, which could be nice. Can you give up Rog 5 or Monk 9 to do this? Dammit, I want 21 Heroic levels plix!
    PROS: Some nice T5 enhancements in Acrobat and Henshin...can only take one lot ofc.

Thoughts?

Aes.
    Last edited by Istaria1; 09-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Just do a straight monk or one of those new fangled centered dwarf axe wielding monk fighters. Unless yer soloing entirely, then just do a standard twf dex/wis build Halfling but swap in 6 levels cleric for burst/aura (if yer worried about survivability - pure monk really doesn't need it though).

Community Member

It's not that I'm soloing entirely, it's that I level relatively slowly. In fact, I almost exclusively PUG. I can comfortably do a TR every 2 weeks or so. So I like to actually enjoy the character on my way up. Plus I do like a slightly odd focussed build. My build will not ever hit epics, so Heroic levels are all I am worried about.

Thanks,

Aes.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Arti 6 -> Int to damage, 1 meta feat
    Insightful Dmg only works with xbows and 1H melee weapons; I don't believe this includes handwraps, unfortunately. If you want a DEX-based staff build, you'll want Stick Fighting from Acrobat (lvl 3 core enh).
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    It's not that I'm soloing entirely, it's that I level relatively slowly. In fact, I almost exclusively PUG. I can comfortably do a TR every 2 weeks or so.
    Your first and third sentences suggest we do not have the same concept of "slow leveling"...
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Good catch on the 1-h weapon thing, Unbongwah, thanks.

WRT TRing....I have a 3yo daughter who takes up a lot of my time. So I try, when I log on, to max my time in game. I have a Heroic Experience Tome, normally have a 30% pot running, and know (kinda) what quests to run. I only play maybe 2 hours per day (sometimes less, sometimes much more, depends). From your comment, I am not sure if I'm going too fast or too slow for your definition

Nevertheless, one goal I have on ALL my chars is to LEARN them. My first life was a Wiz and I now consider myself a fairly good Wiz, should I ever play another life. I don't PL, I try to repeat as little as possible, andI try to explore the character as far as what it can and cannot do.

But with Monk....I kinda feel like it's the best class in the game, if I can learn it. But at the same time, I want to leave it til later

Aes.

PS: Few beers.