Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Default Pure caster arachnotechnician build - Drow

Drowarachnotechnician, pure caster

- The basic idea is to do heroic leveling on SLAs and to build for DCs for later levels, to get crowd control as well as damage. Drow weapons will get a little use and the runearm not so much.

Feats
    1: maximize
    3: mental toughness
    4: empower
    6: insightful reflexes
    8: heighten
    9: improved mental toughness
    12: quicken
    12: spell focus: evocation
    15: greater spell focus: evocation
    16: enlarge
    18: toughness
    20: extend
    21: epic spell focus: evocation
    24: epic mental toughness
    26: ??
    27: epic ability: INT
    28: ??

Epic Destiny: Shiradi

Enhancements

arachnotechnician - 52
    full core – 6
    full wand & scroll mastery – 3
    full criticals – 8
    full SLAs – 12
    evocation DC – 2
    both INT – 4
    full energy of creation – 3
    leftovers in meta cost reductions - 14

battle engineer - 4
    1st core - 1
    full field engineer – 3

drow – 24
    full core – 7
    full “Nothing is hidden” - 9
    Xen'drick weapons training - 8

Does this build look viable beyond level 20?

Thank you in advance for any feedback provided.

Community Member

arcanotech, not arachnotech

Enlarge? Extend? Are these really necessary? Also, Heighten is less than ideal since it only heightens to L6, not L9....but for SLAs it might be marginally useful

You'll be wielding a Rapier, I imagine, with Xendrik training? Maybe mix in IC: Piercing. 30% crits with ID buff and a super-high INT score isn't bad.

Why no runearm if you're pumping your Evo DC and pure Arti?

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post

Enlarge? Extend? Are these really necessary? Also, Heighten is less than ideal since it only heightens to L6, not L9....but for SLAs it might be marginally useful

You'll be wielding a Rapier, I imagine, with Xendrik training? Maybe mix in IC: Piercing. 30% crits with ID buff and a super-high INT score isn't bad.

Why no runearm if you're pumping your Evo DC and pure Arti?
    Wield a Celestia or Star of Day. The generate glancing blows on your rune-arm.

I'd drop extend + enlarge probably. Heighten may get some use due to SLAs.

I'd also put less into weapon training. The pay off is going to be minor in many ways. I do like Nothing is Hidden.

You may not need mental toughness, etc. (though you certainly could). Sneaking in a PL wizard would be nice.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

but, but...that would actually be way cooler
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Thank you for the feedback.

I looked over the spell list for artificers and realized that the value of Extend and Enlarge is not very high. I like Heighten for the SLAs, and so I'll keep that in the build.

Here's a revised feat plan, with the same plan as before for enhancements:

Feats
    1: maximize
    3: mental toughness
    4: empower
    6: insightful reflexes
    8: heighten
    9: improved mental toughness
    12: quicken
    12: spell focus: evocation
    15: greater spell focus: evocation
    16: point blank shot
    18: precise shot
    20: improved critical: piercing
    21: epic spell focus: evocation
    24: epic mental toughness
    26: epic spell power: electricity
    27: epic ability: INT
    28: epic spell power: force (or fire)

I'll stick with drow weapons for the most part, even if it's suboptimal, and mostly swing melee weapons in higher difficulty levels when mobs have been kind enough to let themselves get knocked down.

I'll re-think the ED and probably go for Magister, both to make ED leveling less of a grind and to get better DCs.

"Heh" on the typo in the OP. And I agree that Arachnotechnician would be cooler ...

Community Member

My Electrocutie is now level 20. I have almost the same feats (minus insightful reflexes, IC: pierce; plus halfling dragonmark, IC: ranged). I would take mental toughness later and take quicken sooner; the SLA are very cheap and strong early, the extra SP or 1-2% crit is not necessary.

Enhancements:
    Halfling ~20: sneak attack, dragonmark, cores
    Arcanotechnician ~55ish:
    * no energy creation - earlier levels you simply cannot run out of spell points; I guess it could happen in late heroic levels when you spam full meta BB or tactical detonation too eagerly.
    * only a single meta (I think I picked quicken)
    * I took the dog enhancements because I find it useful. It rarely dies before me and I rarely repair it. (Perhaps Albus does though)
    Battle Engineer: I might have invested 4 points here for the skills, not 100% sure.

I have started in the Magister destiny.

Runearm is not used much. In fact I carry the fiery ML11 runearm for Vitality. But I guess should get something better.
    With 40 Int, mobs started to evade stuff more often recently; my repeater gets more use than early levels. I guess things will pick up with the +3 from Magister. And I still have no evocation focus item; I really need to craft one, I even have a ring slot free...
    Last edited by cru121; 09-25-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Does this build look viable beyond level 20?
    Basically no. All the weaknesses of a sorcerer air savant (everything being reflex based) with none of the benefits (wings, knockdown immunity and spell variety in other elements).

That said, if you're set on trying to make this work, splash 3 levels of sorcerer and pick up on all the crit and spellpower enhancements you can.

Shiradi also has no synergy, draconic incarnation is far better for this type of build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheJourney View Post
    16: point blank shot
    18: precise shot
    20: improved critical: piercing

I'll stick with drow weapons for the most part, even if it's suboptimal, and mostly swing melee weapons in higher difficulty levels when mobs have been kind enough to let themselves get knocked down.
    You should pick if you want to go melee or repeater, especially since you're a primary caster-focused Arti. Either stick with rapiers/shortswords, or stick with repeaters - repeaters are good DPS at all ranges, whereas swords are better (potential) damage, but only of course in melee range. If you want to go with Repeaters, then PBS, PS, and IC: Ranged are your three martial feats of choice. If you want to go melee, then trade PBS and PS for Power Attack (you can wait till your +3 tome kicks in, and just go with 10 base STR if you want) and something else melee-focused - Cleave, perhaps, for some AOE and a clickable attack with bonus damage.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Also, Heighten is less than ideal since it only heightens to L6, not L9....but for SLAs it might be marginally useful
    The SLAs are lvl 1-4, so Heighten is a free +2-+5 to DCs. AFAICT, it's the only way to keep them even somewhat relevant in epics.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Basically no. All the weaknesses of a sorcerer air savant (everything being reflex based) with none of the benefits (wings, knockdown immunity and spell variety in other elements).
    That's my concern with trying to play a caster-only Arty; particularly since they can't seem to hit the DCs of a good sorc or wiz build and they certainly don't get the deep SP pool of sorcs.

Community Member

I also play a max-INT Drow Artificer. But when I was looking things over I realized that even with the 1 USP per PSiT from Arcanotechnician my spellpower would be significantly higher with 41 points in Battle Engineer, unless I use a spell implement in my main hand. And that was not really a viable option to me, as even with maxed out INT, the best spell point gear I can get, and Sorcerer Past Lives I was still lacking the mana bar and DCs to be a full time caster.

Artificer spells work amazingly well for me in Heroic Elites, the Eveningstar Epic Elites, and all of the Epic Hards I have tried with her. It is a lot of fun to force an entire room full of baddies to make triple saves against different forms of disabling with Tactical Detonation! But loosing 3 points off of primary casters is a lot to try and make up for. I ended up settling into a 41pt Battle Engineer / 33 pt Arcanotechnician / 3 pt Drow build for her, and I am loving it. My Bladebarriers are stronger, my Tactical Detonations have the same DCs, and I have the increased Rune Arm and Repeater abilities as well. Though, I am 1 point of Intelligence behind, due to not having the points to get the second Drow increase.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedHost View Post
    Though, I am 1 point of Intelligence behind, due to not having the points to get the second Drow increase.
    41+33+3=77....if you already have Drow Int I, you should have just enough points to eke out Drow Int II too...?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedHost View Post
    I ended up settling into a 41pt Battle Engineer / 33 pt Arcanotechnician / 3 pt Drow build for her, and I am loving it.
    What's your Enhancement setup look like with this spread?

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Random thought...to make full use of your Drowness why not splash 2 Paladin for the extra saves than use your Int-Focus to go Shadowdancer.

Dex 17
    Con 10
    Int 18
    Cha 16

Between Evasion (from Shadowdancer) your massive Cha Bonus to saves, your Spell resistance and the various defensive abilities from shadowdancer you'd be nigh invincible not to mention all the fun goodies an Int based character gets from Shadowdancer...you could even twist in a few things from Shiradi.

http://ddodestiny.info/#d/shadowdanc...3,q3,u,v,aa,bb

"Heh" on the typo in the OP. And I agree that Arachnotechnician would be cooler ...
    Devs I humbly request that Arcano Technician be renamed Arachno Technician and a single effect added to Core 1 causing your Dog Construct to become a Mecha-Arachnid...I'd totally play a Drow if you did this...and I hate Drow :P

Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-30-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I thought that was a pun on him being a Drow.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Ironically, this project got put (temporarily) on hold by a bug.

I started another Arachnotechnician (heh!), human this time, on another server. I believe it was because the DDO market was down at the time that my character went to the airship, because of vet status, and instead of being offered a choice of starting levels I was given only the choice to go to Stormreach. I arrived at Stormreach with a level 1 arachnotechnician-in-training. All she had was her static shock first level spell (no material components needed, fortunately) and her fists, with no Grotto lined up as her first quest.

I had more fun getting my all-but-naked arachno-arcano-thingamathing to level 3 than I've had playing the game in quite a while. Korthos and Harbor quests were challenging for the first time in a long time, which I really liked. So, I made a second purely F2P account for grinding favor and I've built up over 800 turbine points on that account, as of now, and I'll probably log onto that account for a fair while before I return to my premium account with a lot of paid for content and such.

I like the concept, though, and I'm certain that I'll return to it later. I'm OK with EH for the foreseeable future anyways. Shadowdancer does look potentially nifty for it, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    I thought that was a pun on him being a Drow.
    You're giving my editing abilities too much credit.

Ironically, this project got put (temporarily) on hold by a bug.

I started another Arachnotechnician (heh!), human this time, on another server. I believe it was because the DDO market was down at the time that my character went to the airship, because of vet status, and instead of being offered a choice of starting levels I was given only the choice to go to Stormreach. I arrived at Stormreach with a level 1 arachnotechnician-in-training. All she had was her static shock first level spell (no material components needed, fortunately) and her fists, with no Grotto lined up as her first quest.
    Aaaah, now I understand. You're purposely shooting yourself in the foot.

Are you going to try the "pure" melee eldritch knight? Without any of that that stupid spellcasting?

Maybe a Dex-Based Drow Barbarian?

A blade-sworn Warforged two-handed sword-welding Monk (19 levels) with an Adamantine body?

I'm just joking with you.

Default On my final TR, Please help me not mess it up.

Wrong spot my fault

He did say Drow.... Arachnotech might be correct... 8)
    /sigh