Default Pricing perspective

So I've been thinking a bit about this. when I look at pricing in the turbine store, i do so from the perspective of a VIP. This means I get 500 TP per month, and things I buy from the store should fall into that budget. Up until recently that has seemed somewhat reasonable to me. I can get a new folder or bag, a cake if something goes horribly off the rails, a new character slot occasionally, etc.

Where this seems to have fallen apart recently has been in cosmetics. Look, I know they are fluff, so not hugely important, but frankly I see the price tag on a cosmetic outfit at 995 and my thought process is "That is two months allotment of points." Each of my accounts has 23-25 guys. Now, obviously cosmetics on each is unnecessary, but without *some* cosmetics they really start blending together visually.

I guess my point is that if inflation in the store is a reality, then maybe adjusting VIP point allotments should be considered. If inflation is not an intention, maybe the pricing should be reviewed in the context what is out there. *OR* maybe there are just some items that are screwily priced.

Them's my 2cp
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Or maube they just decided that the fluff can be priced high, bacuse few(ish) people that are going to buy it will actually care about what it costs, but those that need thing X, that has an actual use, would scream their head off if they cant afford it when they want to.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

I've looked at the cosmetics in the same way. While making those prices lower or giving us more points/month both do sound good I'd take a "cosmetic armor" tab such that every cosmetic is available to every toon so that there would be no need to swap them around...at least with the "glamour" armor...like we can do with cosmetic pets now.

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Or maube they just decided that the fluff can be priced high, bacuse few(ish) people that are going to buy it will actually care about what it costs, but those that need thing X, that has an actual use, would scream their head off if they cant afford it when they want to.
    I would bet that is the base thought process, and following that out those items may see a goodly price drop down the road. And, frankly, cosmetics are exactly the sort of thing that the store should be dealing with (as opposed to things one actually *needs* in game.) I just felt the need to to wrap a bit of context around the pricing structure. 2 months allotment of points for a cosmetic outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    So I've been thinking a bit about this. when I look at pricing in the turbine store, i do so from the perspective of a VIP. This means I get 500 TP per month, and things I buy from the store should fall into that budget. Up until recently that has seemed somewhat reasonable to me. I can get a new folder or bag, a cake if something goes horribly off the rails, a new character slot occasionally, etc.

Where this seems to have fallen apart recently has been in cosmetics. Look, I know they are fluff, so not hugely important, but frankly I see the price tag on a cosmetic outfit at 995 and my thought process is "That is two months allotment of points." Each of my accounts has 23-25 guys. Now, obviously cosmetics on each is unnecessary, but without *some* cosmetics they really start blending together visually.

I guess my point is that if inflation in the store is a reality, then maybe adjusting VIP point allotments should be considered. If inflation is not an intention, maybe the pricing should be reviewed in the context what is out there. *OR* maybe there are just some items that are screwily priced.

Them's my 2cp
    Keep in mind that some some of that fluff can now be won in rolls and they're BTA and can be moved around. I rather pay that for things that are not permanent then the old system of perma stamp stuff unto armor that you might want to change later on.

As for pricing; if it keeps Turbines wheels spinning it's alright. I just dumped 250 for a new helmet and 600 for a docent cosmetic. Which I use on other armors. All in all a win win for me.
    Sure - Turbine can be silly enough of pricing things so even I won't buy it, but eventually they'll discount it when they realize it's not selling.

I would bet that is the base thought process, and following that out those items may see a goodly price drop down the road. And, frankly, cosmetics are exactly the sort of thing that the store should be dealing with (as opposed to things one actually *needs* in game.) I just felt the need to to wrap a bit of context around the pricing structure. 2 months allotment of points for a cosmetic outfit.
    Need is relative. If you f up and need a quick rez, buying a cake is something that you "need" (or you could just rerun and be more careful). Buying xp pots to get to cap is something that someone may "need". (Or they could just spend a bit more time getting there)

If the price for these was high the needy one would yell moneygrab, but since all fluff items go in the category of "want" no matter how you look at it, they can charge almost anything below the level of ridicule and few would pipe up.

The store caters to both, because fluff is eternal, but the other stuff gets used, and will be bought again and again, which is another reason for the prices.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    Keep in mind that some some of that fluff can now be won in rolls .
    none of that fluff can be won in current dd rolls ....only the thinking cap which isnt sold in store

and that is very hard to get 5 rolls 97 and over and no cap

Need is relative. If you f up and need a quick rez, buying a cake is something that you "need" (or you could just rerun and be more careful). Buying xp pots to get to cap is something that someone may "need". (Or they could just spend a bit more time getting there)

If the price for these was high the needy one would yell moneygrab, but since all fluff items go in the category of "want" no matter how you look at it, they can charge almost anything below the level of ridicule and few would pipe up.

The store caters to both, because fluff is eternal, but the other stuff gets used, and will be bought again and again, which is another reason for the prices.
    Well, to the point that you can break cosmetics into their own group of store items, yes I'd agree with that point. Whether or not cakes and XP pots fall into a "need" category is... debatable, but certainly a very different conversation.

I don't really mind the price of cosmetic armor, myself. Yeah, 995 seems a bit steep, but it's really only about $10, and it's a permanent item that I can toss back and forth between characters. I much prefer this system to the old one where you'd have to use it on a specific piece of armor, which meant you really couldn't use them at low levels unless you were willing to shell out tons of money to keep getting new ones.

I've bought a couple, and won one (the black cannith heavy armor) before they changed the system so you couldn't win cosmetic armors. Now they're changing it back, which I think is good.

My only beef with the cosmetic armor is that too many of them are "textured wetsuits" when it comes to the arms and legs. I want gauntlets and boots that have polygons, not stuff that's flush with my skin. The cannith armor (medium and heavy) are the only ones I really like. If more had a similar style, in that they had more polygons, I'd probably branch out a bit more. As it is, I have like 4 sets of medium cannith cosmetic armor.

Well, to the point that you can break cosmetics into their own group of store items, yes I'd agree with that point. Whether or not cakes and XP pots fall into a "need" category is... debatable, but certainly a very different conversation.
    Yah, thats why the part in the parenthesis. You dont NEED them, but they make things easier. Which means "need" for some.

I can understand why the cosmetics are priced a bit higher than other items. They are permanent and BtA so that makes up for some of the cost. I just wish there were more options that I found appealing. I've got about four years of VIP TP saved up and nothing I want to spend them on.

I'd likely blow through all those stockpiled points rather quickly if there were some nifty cosmetic options available. Heck, I'd be liable to purchase some even.
    Last edited by enochiancub; 09-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by ericrd View Post
    none of that fluff can be won in current dd rolls ....only the thinking cap which isnt sold in store

and that is very hard to get 5 rolls 97 and over and no cap
    Oh well. My honest opinion is that I wish these things were the only thing in the gold store instead of how it's creeping into the game via moneygrabs (shards).

Price wise I hope it is eventually set by the market. If they keep having to discount this stuff in order for people to buy it, they might as well make it permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    I can understand why the cosmetics are priced a bit higher than other items. They are permanent and BtA so that makes up for some of the cost. I just wish there were more options that I found appealing. I've got about four years of VIP TP saved up and nothing I want to spend them on.
    Keep on saving, that way you can buy everything when you go off VIP (if you ever do)

Keep on saving, that way you can buy everything when you go off VIP (if you ever do)
    Ha, not sure why I'd ever stop being VIP, but good info. Likely I'll just keep banking them until something comes along to tickle my fancy ala cosmetics or new races and classes. Though if this turns out to be something viable, I know right where my TP would go.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis