Community Member

Default Sneak attacks and monks

I am looking to reroll my monk (again). before I went through the process, I wanted to ask something. Do monks auto get sneak attack? Or is there a feat or enhancement source? If it is the sneak attack training enhancement, will my halfling guile enhancement have the same benefit?

Im not sure what was granting the sneak attack benefit.

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

There are four tiers of sneak attack enhancements in the ninja spy tree. They will stack with the halfling guile enhancements for a total of 7d6 sneak dice. It's nice DPS. Make sure to pick up the unbalancing strike enhancement (grants sneak attack on mobs with which you have agro) and slot an enhanced deception item.

Community Member

Thanks! I knew about them, but stupid me (coming from pen and paper where dumbly written PrCs and poorly thought out cross classing can give you abilities you can't actually make use of) I thought Id need the Sneak Attack feat (only granted by the rouge class) to actually make use of them. I keep hearing the new enhancement setup was designed around better cross classing. But then I ran around this board and found lots of pure monk builds taking the + sneak attack bonus and couldn't see where the sneak attack feature was being granted. So I figured id make sure the enhancements were actually granting me the ability to sneak attack before I rerolled my monk to get rid of the level of rogue.

In addition to the methods already mentioned stunning mobs (Stunning Fist and Kukan-Do) also lets you deal SA damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    In addition to the methods already mentioned stunning mobs (Stunning Fist and Kukan-Do) also lets you deal SA damage.
    I know how to <i>cause</i> sneak attack damage, it was the what gave my character <i>access</i> to sneak attack damage that prompted my post. and apparently despite the existence of the feat, all I needed was the enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSpatula View Post
    it was the what gave my character <i>access</i> to sneak attack damage that prompted my post. and apparently despite the existence of the feat, all I needed was the enhancements.
    Actually, in order to deliver sneak-attack damage, provided sneak-attacking conditions are met, you only need "backstabbing" gear; thus, even a raging barbarian can do it.

However, some races (halflings and half-elves with rogue dilettante feat), classes (rogue) and PrE (e.g. Ninja Spy, Assassin, Nature Warrior in wolf form, Deepwood Sniper) are better than others at it.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).