Community Member

Default Greetings! New player here

So the title sums it up. I'm a new player to DDO (currently downloading it now). I've played LotRO for the past year (my first MMO), I was looking to try something just a bit different for a change.

I'm planning on rolling a toon on Sarlona to start off, as that seems to be one of the unofficial RP servers. Still not quite sure what character race/class combo I'll go with as I'll only have the basic edition to the game (not going to spend money on it till I know I'll like it).

Anyways, thought I'd say hi and I look forward to playing and talking with a lot of you!

P.S. - I'll also throw in a quick question. Is the game similar to LotRO as far as the actual gameplay? Or are there little differences here and there that I should be aware of. One thing I know I'm hoping for is a bit of an outfit system like LotRO has. Thanks!

Hi!

And welcome to DDO!

Here's a link that will make your life easier:

http://ddowiki.com/

It sounds like you're just getting started so here's the classes in wiki:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Classes

Enjoy!

Community Member

Thanks for the links Cap_Man.

The game is installed and the update has gone through. I tried logging in with the same account I used to gain access to the forum, same account I have used with Turbine to play LotRO. But it tells me that the account does not exist.

So I'm going to wait a bit and try again. Until then, more reading of those links and the forums.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Welcome

Welcome,

Here are some links I nailed down recently so I don't always have to look for them:

Aphion's Game Information Resource Guide:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...28Spoilers!%29

Cordovan's A Gathering of Guides
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...logue-of-Tools

Also I play on Sarlona. I look forward to seeing you there!

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by swordinthedark View Post
    P.S. - I'll also throw in a quick question. Is the game similar to LotRO as far as the actual gameplay? Or are there little differences here and there that I should be aware of. One thing I know I'm hoping for is a bit of an outfit system like LotRO has. Thanks!
    Welcome to DDO

I've played quite a bit of both games, so I'll give a try at answering this one (can't help you on endgame/raiding, though - someone else will have to field that if it's a subject that interests you)

Random observations, in no particular order:

While I quite like both games, they are actually quite different. The DDO interface has been modified somewhat over the years to look (and feel?) more like LOTRO's, but it's still at heart much more of a jump-around and swing/block/dodge game than LOTRO. You can cast spells and fire ranged weapons while moving, tumble around or jump over your enemy (and spin around to shoot it from midair if you're quick enough), and actually swim underwater (and drown...you'll want an Underwater Action item to help with that). No Fellowship maneuvers, though, and no Autofollow. no housing or guild housing either, though there are guild airships...not quite the same thing though.

There is no cosmetic outfit system on a scale with LOTRO's, though there are some cosmetic options - mostly hair dye and armor kits purchasable with Turbine Points, from what I've seen. Also no playable music system. Then again, as far as I know, that's completely unique to LOTRO.

Questing in DDO is all instanced - you can group with others, but no one outside your group can enter your instance, so you won't see other players wandering around the wilderness, only in town. There is a rather good (and frequently used) LFM (Looking For More) system in the social panel, though. It can be a better way to put groups together than asking in general chat. Quests are also organized into quest packs, and the pay-to-play ones can only be accessed if you have the pack or a guest pass; unlike LOTRO free players can't wander around the wilderness areas farming the local wildlife if they don't have the quest pack, but also unlike LOTRO friends who do have the pack can buy (relatively cheap) limited time passes that give you access to all the quests in the pack, as well as any associated wilderness area.

All in all, you may find it a very different experience, but if you explore all the interesting stuff you can't do in LOTRO (like multiclassing - a person could spend hours just designing characters without ever even entering the game, heh), you may find it quite enjoyable when you're in the mood for something different

Good luck, and hope this helps

Community Member

The game is installed and the update has gone through. I tried logging in with the same account I used to gain access to the forum, same account I have used with Turbine to play LotRO. But it tells me that the account does not exist.
    You may have to send in a Support Ticket asking for a DDO Free Code to add to your existing account.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Welcome to DDO

I've played quite a bit of both games, so I'll give a try at answering this one (can't help you on endgame/raiding, though - someone else will have to field that if it's a subject that interests you)

Random observations, in no particular order:

While I quite like both games, they are actually quite different. The DDO interface has been modified somewhat over the years to look (and feel?) more like LOTRO's, but it's still at heart much more of a jump-around and swing/block/dodge game than LOTRO. You can cast spells and fire ranged weapons while moving, tumble around or jump over your enemy (and spin around to shoot it from midair if you're quick enough), and actually swim underwater (and drown...you'll want an Underwater Action item to help with that). No Fellowship maneuvers, though, and no Autofollow. no housing or guild housing either, though there are guild airships...not quite the same thing though.

There is no cosmetic outfit system on a scale with LOTRO's, though there are some cosmetic options - mostly hair dye and armor kits purchasable with Turbine Points, from what I've seen. Also no playable music system. Then again, as far as I know, that's completely unique to LOTRO.

Questing in DDO is all instanced - you can group with others, but no one outside your group can enter your instance, so you won't see other players wandering around the wilderness, only in town. There is a rather good (and frequently used) LFM (Looking For More) system in the social panel, though. It can be a better way to put groups together than asking in general chat. Quests are also organized into quest packs, and the pay-to-play ones can only be accessed if you have the pack or a guest pass; unlike LOTRO free players can't wander around the wilderness areas farming the local wildlife if they don't have the quest pack, but also unlike LOTRO friends who do have the pack can buy (relatively cheap) limited time passes that give you access to all the quests in the pack, as well as any associated wilderness area.

All in all, you may find it a very different experience, but if you explore all the interesting stuff you can't do in LOTRO (like multiclassing - a person could spend hours just designing characters without ever even entering the game, heh), you may find it quite enjoyable when you're in the mood for something different

Good luck, and hope this helps
    Actually an asian MMO called Mabinogi I believe has the ability to let players actually compose and play thier own unique actual music. Its probably the best MMO to play if the one itch you really want to scratch is that of a wandering Bard who likes to write songs. Its been years since I dabbled in it but ive heard there are even options now to upload your own actual singing to go along with the music. Granted that turned that aspect into a bit of a hit and miss cus man do some people sing bad but think they are good. Why I keep mine in the shower personally

Quote Originally Posted by Frotz View Post
    You may have to send in a Support Ticket asking for a DDO Free Code to add to your existing account.
    When I joined up for lotro it was easier to just create another account for lotro because the support team faq about it said doing so could take 1-2 weeks but that was several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    When I joined up for lotro it was easier to just create another account for lotro because the support team faq about it said doing so could take 1-2 weeks but that was several years ago.
    Could always do both, and have 2 DDO accounts

Still not quite sure what character race/class combo I'll go with as I'll only have the basic edition to the game (not going to spend money on it till I know I'll like it).
    There are some new player builds linked in my signature you might be interested in, even if only for ideas. All use only free races and classes, and no tomes are required. The only one that isn't a new player build is the challenge farmer.