Community Member

Default We need new spells.

I don't know about you guys, but I've been waiting for new Sorc/Wiz and Clr/FS spells for like the last 6 or 7 updates. Every time a new update comes out I go and check for spells excitedly and have been let down each time. To be honest, playing casters is just getting kinda old with the same bag of tricks that we've had forever now. So, everyone feel free to post your new spell suggestions here and lets come up with some good ones.

Also, please give us epic 10th level spells! In regular D&D epic level spells start somewhere around lv 22. Here we are with a cap of 28 still using our old hat 9th lv spells. Yes I know they're kinda OP and they should have SP costs accordingly, but really, they're just that great and we need a new dynamic to the game.

Here are some of my suggestions to start us off:
    Enlarge/Reduce Person/Monster: Tons of fun.
    Baleful Polymorph: Hilarious, and classic
    Black Tentacles: No tentacle joke inserted ;P
    Blink: much like blur but incorporeal miss chance rather than displacement type.
    Confusion Lesser/Greater: Like charm except confused monsters still attack each other if you manage to get all of them as well as the party if nearby.
    Consecrate: Area buff
    Summon Swarm/Planar Ally: Variety
    All the Bigby spells: Very useful, not about to pull out the "handy" pun.
    Death Knell: Gain Temporary HP, SP, and or spell power buffs for being close to killed enemies.
    Dimensional Anchor: Prohibit enemy teleport.
    Disguise Self: Pass as an enemy, at least for a while.
    Wall spells: Wall of stone, ice, gears, zombies, light, prismatic, illusory, whatever, walls are awesome
    Mage Sword: Create a dancing force blade
    Prismatic Sphere: Heavy defense
    Resilient Sphere: Protection or enemy isolation
    Reverse Gravity: If the stormreaver can cast it, why not us?
    Shadow Conjuration/Evocation, regular and Greater: Make being an illusion focus worth while.
    Vampiric Touch: Gain Hp with damage.

These and many more will breathe some new life into being a caster.

I want the Bigby's Hand spells in the worst way.

I know they're evocation spells, but I'd kind of like to see them typed as illusion to make illusion a viable specialization.

Community Member

In previous threads asking for more spells, the Bigby's line has always been a popular candidate. The question is how to implement them so they work with DDO's system, while also retaining the feel of the old spell?

Let's look at Bigby's Interposing Hand. In the Player's Handbook, this is the first of the Bigby's line, a level 5 Sorc/Wiz spell from the Evocation (Force) school. It creates a 10' giant hand that interposes itself between one target of the caster's choice. It gives the caster +4 cover bonus to AC, has HP equal to your normal Maximum HP, has 20 AC, immune to most magical attacks, but takes other damage normally. A creature 2000 lbs or less can move through it at half speed, heavier creatures can pass through without hindrance.

So, how would this be translated, so it still feels Bigby-ish, without being overpowered or underpowered? Do we stay true to the PnP version, make it a summon that has HP and can die? Do we treat it as a Movement Slow spell that affects one target? Seems a little weak for a level 5 spell in DDO. Do we keep the AC property, or do we try and change it to something else - PRR? Dodge? DR?

As I prefer to try and be constructive when possible, I offer this suggestion for incorporating the Bigsby line of spells. My first suggestion is that Bigby's Interposing Hand becomes a buff spell, self-only. It gives 5 ablative protection per caster level, max 100 at level 20; the effect stacks with other ablative effects, but not from other Bigby spells. While the buff is still running, you also generate an aura that slows the movement enemies who fail a Will save.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

I have full confidence that the details can be hammered out to be both useful and balanced.

The only thing I care about is that I really, really want to see giant floating hands doing stuff.

Community Member

While I also believe the powers that be can make viable spells, there's no harm in speculating on how it may manifest, true? And perhaps tossing around these ideas may be the spark to inspiration for someone to make new spells, either based on the suggestions made or igniting entirely new possibilities. That's one of the reasons I like to try and explore the possible mechanics for suggestions, in addition to enjoying intellectual debate.

As such, I've been kicking around ideas for the petition of adding more Illusion spells. It is a school greatly in need of some love and extra spells. And, rather then heading off to make yet another "More spells" thread, I shall pontificate in this most recent one in the hopes of stimulating creativity and debate.

Color Spray - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 1
    - PnP - You spray a cone of colors that can blind, stun, or even knock creatures out; effects and durations depends on target's hit dice. Will save negates
    - DDO Suggestion - Aside from augmenting the durations times, the effects could be brought over pretty easily. There are already mechanics to limit effects based on CR (Sleep, Deep Slumber), and mechanics for multiple effects. Unconscious could be changed to sleep. Alternately, just make it add stun and blind on failed will save.

Disguise Self - Spell Level Bard 1, Sorc/Wiz 1
    - PnP - This allowed the user to change their appearance, within a limited scope.
    - DDO Suggestion - While it would be awesome to be able to change one's appearance on the fly, even if temporary, I suggest turning the spell into a buff. Give it two sub-spells - Threatening and Unassuming. Threatening increases your Threat by 10%, and you gain a +1 Illusion bonus to Intimidate and Bluff. Unassuming decreases your Threat by 10%, and you get a +1 Illusion bonus to Diplomacy and Bluff. The bonuses for Intimidate, Bluff, and Diplomacy increase by +1 for every 3 caster levels, to a maximum of +5 at CL 13.

Illusionary Wall - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 4
    - PnP - You create an illusionary wall, roof, ceiling, or similar surface. Does not stop objects, will save to disbelieve if interacted with.
    - DDO Suggestion - Creates a wall at the location you aim at, similar to wall of fire. Instead of dealing damage, enemies attempting to cross it must make a Will save or be rooted. They get an additional Will save every 6 seconds to break free.

Major Image - Spell Level Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3
    - PnP - You create illusions within a limited area, capable of affecting sight, sound, smell, and even perceived thermal effects.
    - DDO Suggestion - Sadly, I do not think it possible to have the spell incorporate its many uses and possibilities. So, instead, make it a special summon, like Artificer's Flame Turret. When the spell is cast, you create an Illusionary Double for 30 seconds, or 9 +3 seconds per caster level. The double has good DR, possibly broken by Magic, and good elemental resistances. The double does not attack; instead, it has a threatening aura. Every 3 seconds, the double performs a high Intimidate roll. Creatures immune to Illusions or who have True Seeing are immune to this. If it seems a little too strong, give it a longer cooldown.

Mirror Image - Spell Level Bard 2, Sorc/Wiz 2
    - PnP - You create 1d4 (+1 per 3 caster levels, max of 8 copies) copies of yourself, that shift and move around your immediate area. When someone attempts to attack you or cast a spell, they have a chance to hit a copy instead of you and destroying the copy.
    - DDO Suggestion - A direct translation seems highly unbalanced. My suggestion is that the caster gains 10% Dodge and increases their Maximum Dodge by 10%, 6 seconds per caster level. It's not a strong as Blur, but can stack with it and Displacement.

Mislead - Spell Level Bard 5, Luck domain 6, Sorc/Wiz 6
    - PnP - You turn invisible, and create an illusionary double as per the Major Image spell. It is capable of moving and talking, but not fighting.
    - DDO Suggestion - A direct translation, using the suggested Major Image; you gain Invisibility, and create an Illusionary Double.

Nightmare - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 5
    - PnP - A ritual where you send a sleeping target a bad dream, causing a small amount of damage and preventing them from getting rest - causing them to be fatigued and cannot regain Arcane spells.
    - DDO Suggestion - Ranged spell that causes the target to fall asleep and adds a DoT. The DoT damage does not break the Sleep. When the Sleep effect ends, the target is silenced for 6 seconds.

Persistent Image - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 5
    - PnP - Like Major Image, but can also effect olfactory. It can also be scripted to run on its own, so the caster doesn't have to concentrate to maintain it.
    - DDO Suggestion - More potent version of Major Image. The illusionary double has better stats (More HP, DR, and Resistances) and higher threat.

Programmed Image - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 6
    - PnP - An advanced illusion that lays in dormant until a predetermined is set, and then a scripted illusion plays out.
    - DDO Suggestion - Functions just like Persistent Image, but has two ways it can be cast - either directly, or as a trap, similar to Delayed Blast Fireball.

Project Image - Spell Level Bard 6, Sorc/Wiz 7
    - PnP - Creates a quasi-real illusion of yourself that mimics your actions, and you can sense and cast certain spells through it.
    - DDO Suggestion - Illusion's version of Summon Monster.

Rainbow Pattern - Spell Level Bard 5, Sorc/Wiz 5
    - PnP - Creates a zone of shifting rainbow colors; Fascinates up to 24 HD of creatures on a failed Will save, lowest first, those closest to the center first. The caster can move the zone, and the fascinated creatures will try to follow it.
    - DDO Suggestion - Create a static zone; enemies who enter the zone must make a Will save or be fascinated. Every 3 seconds inside the area, enemies must make another save against the spells' effects.

Scintillating Pattern - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 8
    - PnP - Create a zone of colors affects up to 20 HD of creatures (lowest HD first), rendering them unconscious, stunned, or confused on a failed Will save, pending on HD. Zone lasts for 2 rounds after you stop concentrating.
    - DDO Suggestion - Instead of a persistent effect, make it an AoE spell; targets within the area have to make a Will save, or be Stunned and/or affected by Wild Frenzy (as per the effect from the weapon Insanity)

Shades - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 9
    - PnP - As Shadow Conjuration, but can be Lv 8 or lower Conjuration spells; if a save is made, they have 80% effective power.
    - DDO Suggestion - Multiple Spell Selector, being able to cast a shadow version of Black Dragon Bolt, Incendiary Cloud, and Trap the Soul. They function like normal, except for the following changes: they are treated as Spell Level 9, and use Will save instead of Reflex. If the save is made, the an enemy takes half damage and suffers no ill-effects while they are in the area. Spells that do not normally have a save grant one the first time they affect the target. If they leave, an enemy makes another save should they re-enter.

Shadow Conjuration - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 4
    - PnP - You can cast any Lv 3 or lower Conjuration spell. If someone interacts with the spell effects, they make a Will save to try and see through it. If they succeed, any damage or effects are reduced to 20% of normal; if they fail, they treat the spells as if real.
    - DDO suggestion - Multiple Spell Selector, being able to cast a shadow version of Acid Blast, Grease, Melf's Acid Arrow, or Web. They function like normal, except for the following changes: they are treated as Spell Level 4, and use Will save instead of Reflex. If the save is made, the target takes no damage and suffers no ill-effects. Spells that do not normally have a save grant one the first time they affect the target.

Shadow Conjuration, Greater - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 7
    - PnP - As Shadow Conjuration, but can be Lv 6 or lower Conjuration spells; if a save is made, they have 60% effective power.
    - DDO Suggestion - Multiple Spell Selector, being able to cast a shadow version of Acid Fog, Acid Rain, Cloudkill, and Solid Fog. They function like normal, except for the following changes: they are treated as Spell Level 7, and use Will save instead of Reflex or Fortitude. If the save is made, the enemy takes no damage and suffers no ill-effects while they are in the area. Spells that do not normally have a save grant one the first time they affect the target. If they leave, an enemy makes another save should they re-enter.

Shadow Evocation - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 5
    - PnP - As Shadow Conjuration, except can be Lv 4 or lower Evocation spells.
    - DDO Suggestion - Multiple Spell Selector, being able to cast a shadow version of Fire Wall, Force Missiles, Ice Storm, or Lightning Bolt. They function like normal, except for the following changes: they are treated as Spell Level 5, and use Will save instead of Reflex. If the save is made, the enemy takes no damage. Spells that do not normally have a save grant one the first time they affect the target.

Shadow Evocation, Greater - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 8
    - PnP - As Shadow Conjuration, except can be Lv 8 or lower Evocation spells; if a save is made, they have 60% effective power.
    - DDO Suggestion - Multiple Spell Selector, being able to cast a shadow version Chain Lightning, Cyclonic Blast, Delayed Blast Fireball, or Otiluke's Freezing Sphere. They function like normal, except for the following changes: they are treated as Spell Level 8, and use Will save instead of Reflex. If the save is made, the enemy takes half damage.

Veil - Spell Level Bard 6, Sorc/Wiz 6
    - PnP - As Disguise Self, but used on multiple people at once.
    - DDO Suggestion - Single target spell, self or ally. Two sub-spells - Threatening and Unassuming. Threatening increases the recipient's Threat by 20%, and they gain a +5 Illusion bonus to Intimidate and Bluff. Unassuming decreases the recipient's Threat by 20%, and they gain a +5 Illusion bonus to Diplomacy and Bluff.

Ventriloquism - Spell Level Bard 1, Sorc/Wiz 1
    - PnP - You can pick a spot within range to cast your voice from.
    - DDO Suggestion - Creates a spell charge that acts like a Noisemaker trap.

Weird - Spell Level Sorc/Wiz 9
    - PnP - Like Phantasmal Killer, except can affect multiple creatures in the area.
    - DDO Suggestion - Direct translation - AoE Phantasmal Killer. Maybe increase the damage it deals if the spell is resisted.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Community Member

Got some awesome and clearly applicable ideas here guys. Thanks for your suggestions.

Community Member

Personally, I find important that everybody, not just the main spellcasters, get some more spells. It's nice to see Paladins getting some more options (Bladeforged get the full Repair line, and you can get all Resurrection spells through Sacred Defender), but it's not nice to see some other changes made (Paladins lose the ability to cast Mass Shield of Faith, and Rangers get no more new spells than Entangle and, IIRC, Charm Animal).

For starters, and something I tend to say on these kinds of threads: port this spell from the tabletop version. I'd make it somewhat better, and perhaps Paladin-exclusive. This alone, and perhaps a 4th level area version (Glory of the Martyr?) would almost permanently change the way Paladins are played, and make them potential spots on any field. Using the format from Worldcrafter:

Shield Other - Spell Level Pal 2
    - PnP - You grant one target a +2 Deflection bonus to AC and a +2 Resistance bonus to saves. You take half the damage the target would otherwise get.
    - DDO Suggestion - Perhaps boost the AC and saves much like Resistance or Nightshield (+2 at CL 8th, +1 for every three levels up to +6 at CL 20th). Alternatively, grant a solid boost to PRR to the target (perhaps 10 + CL PRR), so that they get less damage.

Other good spells for Pallies would be Righteous Aura, Draconic Might (odd, right, but it's on the Spell Compendium; it's also a Sorcerer spell, so Sorcerers can get it for free), Bless Weapon (one of the unique Paladin spells they get right from Core), Flame of Faith, Shield of Warding, etc.

Bless Weapon - Spell Level Pal 1
    - PnP - Your weapon is considered good-aligned, automatically confirms critical hits.
    - DDO Suggestion - This is basically Align Weapon for the Paladin, and would work just as well as a temporary weapon augment much like the Artificer's infusions. This is a suggestion from the OP of the Paladin Enhancements thread in this forum, and he suggests making it a personal augment so that it doesn't conflict with the Artificer's Align Weapon spell.

Draconic Might - Spell Level Pal 4, Sorc/Wiz 5
    - PnP - You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, Constitution and Charisma; you gain immunity to sleep and paralysis
    - DDO Suggestion - As you can see, it's definitely great for Paladins, though the "Draconic" bit is lost. It makes more sense for Sorcerers, which are generally considered attuned to dragons.

Flame of Faith - Spell Level Pal 2
    - PnP - Your weapon temporarily gains the Flaming Burst enhancement.
    - DDO Suggestion - Again, much like Bless Weapon, this could be a personal weapon augmentation for Paladins, so that it doesn't interfere with the Elemental Weapons spell of the Artificer.

Righteous Aura - Spell Level Pal 4
    - PnP - You gain a +2 Sacred bonus to Charisma. If you get killed, everyone in area heals 1d6/CL points of damage and evil opponents take the same amount of damage. You can't be resurrected afterwards, except for True Resurrection, a miracle or a wish.
    - DDO Suggestion - Not much to say, but it should work in many ways as the Death Pact spell. It works a bit as an anti-gimp measure, because paladins can be useful just by casting this spell. It has a duration, and it can be dispelled, so you need to be aware of it. The extra Charisma is just the topping to this sundae, but it's straight from the base score.

Shield of Warding - Spell Level Pal 2
    - PnP - You gain a +2 Sacred bonus to AC and Reflex saving throws when wielding a shield. This bonus increases by 1 for every 3 caster levels, up to a +5.
    - DDO Suggestion - The Sacred Shield Mastery ability is basically what you might be expecting from this, so that enhancement could be turned into a spell. Alternatively, it can grant a Dodge bonus alongside the Reflex save bonus. This would be much like an item augmentation for Artificers, and maybe could also be an Artificer spell (Art 2 or Art 3, maybe).

Rangers, on the other hand, suffer a lot because most of their best spells from Spell Compendium are absent. First and foremost, the Ranger SHOULD have by all means Hunter's Mercy; it's definitely one of its best spells. Swift Haste would be nice as well.

Hunter's Mercy - Spell Level Rng 4
    - PnP - You temporarily gain one Sneak Attack damage dice for every 5 CL.
    - DDO Suggestion - Sorta like the Guile enhancements, or Sneak Attack Training? +1 to attack rolls and +1 SA dice for every 5 CL. Most Rogues would kill for it, though.

Swift Haste - Spell Level Rng 3, Sorc/Wiz 2
    - PnP - You gain the benefit of Haste for 1d4 rounds (6-24 seconds), but you cast it as a swift action.
    - DDO Suggestion - A personal spell, cast at the same speed as Divine Favor or a Quickened spell, that nets you Haste for half the duration of the current Haste spell. Barring that, give Rangers access to the Haste spell already.

Thumbs up

I endorse This Message.
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

I would kill for new spells~

Even if I had to buy them

Community Member

Might I offer this suggestion for an alternative Shield Other:
    - Paladin spends 1 SP and 25 HP; target ally receives 50 Temporary HP. As long as the Temp HP is intact, the ally also receives +2 AC and +1% Dodge per 4 caster levels, to a maximum of +10 AC and +5% dodge at Lv 20.

With Flame of Faith, I could actually see that be a temporary item enchantment, like the Artificer's Elemental Weapons. That way, it becomes more of a tactical choice on whether you get really good fire damage, or bum another element from the artificer.

Similarly, I could see Bless Weapon either be a temporary enchantment to or a separate category, depending on how much of a direct translation - were you also intending the auto-crit confirmation? If it auto-confirmed crits, I'd say make it a temp enchantment, especially with some of the powers that have multiple effects on Hit/Crit/Vorp. If, on the other hand, the auto-crit was changed to something like a seeker-like effect (increase damage and chance to confirm crit) to be paired with the good align, I could get behind the idea of having that a separate boon and work alongside of Elemental Weapons.

With Righteous Aura... I just have this mental image of a paladin running forward and blowing up, heal-bombing everyone and blasting enemies, then getting brought back by a Raise Dead so they have low HP. Pop the aura again, charge in, rinse and repeat. This is meant to be humorous, not a criticism. On a more serious note, I'm fine with as a direct translation. Though, I might suggest it to be an enhancement instead of a spell; the reason for this is because the cleric's Radiant Servant tree has the "Martyrdom" ability, and performs similar effects - if the cleric goes down, they heal-nuke allies and any undead in the area.

Cracking open the PHB and taking a gander at some of the Paladin spells not yet used, I would like to submit the following suggestions for critiquing and hopeful inspiration to the powers that be.

Bless Water - Spell Level Clr 1, Pal 1
    - PnP - Bless a flask (up to 1 pint) of water, turning it into holy water (deals 2d4 damage to undead or evil outsiders), at the cost of 25 gp.
    - DDO Suggestion - Trapmaking and the Flame Arrow spell totally set the groundwork for this. Instead of the normal Spell Component, you need a Crude Vial; it gets consumed on the casting. When the spell is cast, you get a stack of 10 Holy Water grenades. They do 2d6 Good damage to Undead or Evil Outsiders, Reflex equal to the spell's DC for half. No minimum level to use, they expire when you leave the instance.

If we want to throw a little "Trap the Soul" into the formula, we could have the Bless Water spell open up a sub-menu, creating Impure, Pure, and Concentrated holy water grenades. Impure requires a Crude Vial and emulates the stats of a Weak grenade, Pure requires a Simple Vial and emulates the stats and ML of an Average grenade, and Concentrated would use an Unadorned Vial and emulate the stats and ML of a Deadly grenade.

Daylight - Spell Level Bard 3, Clr 3, Drd 3, Pal 3, Sorc/Wiz 3 (Everybody 3!)
    - PnP - Touch an object; it creates a 60' radius of light like full sunlight, and then another 60' further of dim light; messes with light-sensitive creatures, but does not act like sunlight for damaging or destroying creatures like vamps. Dispels darkness effect of equal or lower levels.
    - DDO Suggestion - Create a zone that offers a no-save penalty to light-sensitive creatures within. -2 to stats, skills, attack rolls, and saves. Give it a moderately long duration, but a longer cool down.

Dispel Chaos - Spell Level Clr 5, Law domain 5, Pal 4
    - PnP - Like Dispel Evil (see below) except for Chaotic beings and effects.
    - DDO Suggestion - Like Dispel Evil's suggestion (Also seen below), also augmented for Chaotic beings.

Dispel Evil - Spell Level Clr 5, Good domain 5, Pal 4
    - PnP - Gives you +4 deflection against Evil while it is active; you can discharge it to dispel an Evil enchantment (if Dispel Magic could work), or to try and banish an Evil outsider back to its home plane.
    - DDO Suggestion - A short-term buff that grants +4 AC; the buff is consumed if you perform a successful Critical or Vorpal strike. On Crit, an evil opponent takes 4d6 extra damage; an evil outsider has to immediately make a Will Save or be banished. On Vorpal, an evil opponent takes 100 extra damage; an evil outsider is automatically banished.

Mark of Justice - Spell Level Clr 5, Pal 4
    - PnP - 10 minute ritual drawing a mark on a target; designate some course of action that activates the mark. If the subject does that action, the mark activates and they are auto-cursed, as per Bestow Curse
    - DDO Suggestion - Self buff, temporarily gain Curse Guard. When an enemy hits you, they have to make a Will save or receive Improved Curse (as from an Improved Cursespewing weapon). An enemy procs this only once every 3 seconds.

Undetectable Alignment - Spell Level Bard 1, Clr 1, Pal 2
    - PnP - Touch a target person or object; for the next 24 hours, no form of divination can determine the target's alignment.
    - DDO Suggestion - Self Only; for the next 3 seconds per caster level, you are considered True Neutral when targeted by alignment-based spells or effects. (Unholy blast, Lailat's swords, etc.)

I'll toss a few ideas from the Ranger's list later; running on fumes at the moment, and am toddling off to go slumber.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Worldcrafter View Post
    Might I offer this suggestion for an alternative Shield Other:
    - Paladin spends 1 SP and 25 HP; target ally receives 50 Temporary HP. As long as the Temp HP is intact, the ally also receives +2 AC and +1% Dodge per 4 caster levels, to a maximum of +10 AC and +5% dodge at Lv 20.
    Shield Other is perhaps the only spell I make few, if no, concessions at. The only one I made was essentially adding PRR, because that's an important part of the defensive qualities of a character. The boost to AC and saves is merely a reflection of what the devs did to Resistance, which is a 1st level spell for Paladins but a 0-level spell for every other class (and the same for Virtue, as well), so it'll essentially come with the package. Dodge doesn't feel like something a barrier that shifts damage from one person to another would grant, while PRR could represent that damage mitigation better.

On the other hand, it's odd to see no boost to saves, which can be far more dangerous than raw HP damage. A failed Fort save vs. Disintegrate or Finger of Death at early levels can spell disaster, particularly towards the targets the Paladin must defend.

And of course, I'd like to see the damage transference translate completely. That way, the Paladin has some degree of respite if the hate somehow goes to the warded target, particularly as it would signal the Cleric it's time for a Mass Heal and the Paladin (or the main tank) can retake the hate. Likewise, it can serve as a tank transfer; the Paladin casts Shield Other on the main tank, then blasts Divine Righteousness and Intimidate to draw all hate. Finally, it can serve to help the main tank when soloing a raid boss, as most of the really dangerous damage will shift towards the Paladin. The main hassle I see is that the Paladin must depend on more healing (from all the damage its already taking, plus the damage from its warded target), but that's why they get Healing Amp. Come to think about it...Shield Other could grant a Healing Amp. bonus to the Paladin...

With Flame of Faith, I could actually see that be a temporary item enchantment, like the Artificer's Elemental Weapons. That way, it becomes more of a tactical choice on whether you get really good fire damage, or bum another element from the artificer.

Similarly, I could see Bless Weapon either be a temporary enchantment to or a separate category, depending on how much of a direct translation - were you also intending the auto-crit confirmation? If it auto-confirmed crits, I'd say make it a temp enchantment, especially with some of the powers that have multiple effects on Hit/Crit/Vorp. If, on the other hand, the auto-crit was changed to something like a seeker-like effect (increase damage and chance to confirm crit) to be paired with the good align, I could get behind the idea of having that a separate boon and work alongside of Elemental Weapons.
    Yeah, those are the ideas. Flame of Faith grants a slightly better buff (Flaming Burst rather than Flaming) but of a fixed alignment (Fire, instead of Cold, Electricity or Acid).

As for Bless Weapon, I'd like for it to be auto-crit confirmation, but forward thinking makes me change to your suggestion of seeker-like effect. The main reason is because Paladins rely a lot on crits coupled with their smites, and having a Seeker effect cast at virtually all times further adds to the damage. Likewise, it would allow the existence of Bless Weapon and the Artificer's boons, and specifically collaborate with Keen, Impact and other crit-boosters; the original version of Bless Weapon specifically doesn't work with Keen, which would spell a death sentence on the spell (why have auto-confirmed crits if the crit threat range is so low?)

With Righteous Aura... I just have this mental image of a paladin running forward and blowing up, heal-bombing everyone and blasting enemies, then getting brought back by a Raise Dead so they have low HP. Pop the aura again, charge in, rinse and repeat. This is meant to be humorous, not a criticism. On a more serious note, I'm fine with as a direct translation. Though, I might suggest it to be an enhancement instead of a spell; the reason for this is because the cleric's Radiant Servant tree has the "Martyrdom" ability, and performs similar effects - if the cleric goes down, they heal-nuke allies and any undead in the area.
    The reason I don't see it as an enhancement is because it'd most likely be a Tier 4-5 enhancement, due to the added damage. I could see Righteous Aura have a pretty hefty cooldown so that you don't spam it, which would be almost as long as the spell's duration itself (Righteous Aura lasts 1 minute per level, so a 5-10 minute cooldown effect would be enough to dissuade Paladins from becoming...erm...you know). As an Enhancement, you'd have to place it in one of the trees, which means people who build towards the other tree will have to spread their AP even further. Most likely, Righteous Aura would be a KotC tree enhancement, which means most SDs would be unable to get it. Since it's useful to both and has precedence as a spell, might as well make it a spell. Also, as a minor tidbit; it actually grants a +4 sacred bonus to Charisma, not a +2.

Cracking open the PHB and taking a gander at some of the Paladin spells not yet used, I would like to submit the following suggestions for critiquing and hopeful inspiration to the powers that be.

Bless Water - Spell Level Clr 1, Pal 1
    - PnP - Bless a flask (up to 1 pint) of water, turning it into holy water (deals 2d4 damage to undead or evil outsiders), at the cost of 25 gp.
    - DDO Suggestion - Trapmaking and the Flame Arrow spell totally set the groundwork for this. Instead of the normal Spell Component, you need a Crude Vial; it gets consumed on the casting. When the spell is cast, you get a stack of 10 Holy Water grenades. They do 2d6 Good damage to Undead or Evil Outsiders, Reflex equal to the spell's DC for half. No minimum level to use, they expire when you leave the instance.

If we want to throw a little "Trap the Soul" into the formula, we could have the Bless Water spell open up a sub-menu, creating Impure, Pure, and Concentrated holy water grenades. Impure requires a Crude Vial and emulates the stats of a Weak grenade, Pure requires a Simple Vial and emulates the stats and ML of an Average grenade, and Concentrated would use an Unadorned Vial and emulate the stats and ML of a Deadly grenade.
    I'd say it could have options for Holy Water, Lawful Water and perhaps even Sun Flasks. I also agree with the damage extension; it makes a subtly increasing effect that's pretty cheap, it would make for some odd but interesting Cleric/Mech builds, and make Free Agents favor matter to Clerics and Pallies.

Daylight - Spell Level Bard 3, Clr 3, Drd 3, Pal 3, Sorc/Wiz 3 (Everybody 3!)
    - PnP - Touch an object; it creates a 60' radius of light like full sunlight, and then another 60' further of dim light; messes with light-sensitive creatures, but does not act like sunlight for damaging or destroying creatures like vamps. Dispels darkness effect of equal or lower levels.
    - DDO Suggestion - Create a zone that offers a no-save penalty to light-sensitive creatures within. -2 to stats, skills, attack rolls, and saves. Give it a moderately long duration, but a longer cool down.
    I believe this spell will be seen in a future, what with the developers making use of Darkness and whatnot. Daylight would be very important when facing Drow, for example, as both their light sensitivity and their propensity to darken the area would be countered by the spell.

Dispel Chaos - Spell Level Clr 5, Law domain 5, Pal 4
    - PnP - Like Dispel Evil (see below) except for Chaotic beings and effects.
    - DDO Suggestion - Like Dispel Evil's suggestion (Also seen below), also augmented for Chaotic beings.

Dispel Evil - Spell Level Clr 5, Good domain 5, Pal 4
    - PnP - Gives you +4 deflection against Evil while it is active; you can discharge it to dispel an Evil enchantment (if Dispel Magic could work), or to try and banish an Evil outsider back to its home plane.
    - DDO Suggestion - A short-term buff that grants +4 AC; the buff is consumed if you perform a successful Critical or Vorpal strike. On Crit, an evil opponent takes 4d6 extra damage; an evil outsider has to immediately make a Will Save or be banished. On Vorpal, an evil opponent takes 100 extra damage; an evil outsider is automatically banished.
    Hmm...I feel the developers will keep only Dispel Evil (no Dispel Chaos or Dispel Law), considering there's only Holy Aura, no Cloak of Chaos or Shield of Law. That said: it could work as a defensive measure (+4 AC, works as Break Enchantment when you have an effect cast upon you but only for Enchantments and perhaps some Curses) or offensively (Righteousness effect on your weapon, discharge on Vorpal for Banishing effect). It can be a pretty solid spell all around.

Mark of Justice - Spell Level Clr 5, Pal 4
    - PnP - 10 minute ritual drawing a mark on a target; designate some course of action that activates the mark. If the subject does that action, the mark activates and they are auto-cursed, as per Bestow Curse
    - DDO Suggestion - Self buff, temporarily gain Curse Guard. When an enemy hits you, they have to make a Will save or receive Improved Curse (as from an Improved Cursespewing weapon). An enemy procs this only once every 3 seconds.
    I feel Improved Curse would be a bit overkill, considering the game doesn't have Improved Bestow Curse, which would most likely work in that way. On the other hand, a healing curse a la Monk's Fists of Light would be pretty hilarious.

Undetectable Alignment - Spell Level Bard 1, Clr 1, Pal 2
    - PnP - Touch a target person or object; for the next 24 hours, no form of divination can determine the target's alignment.
    - DDO Suggestion - Self Only; for the next 3 seconds per caster level, you are considered True Neutral when targeted by alignment-based spells or effects. (Unholy blast, Lailat's swords, etc.)
    Hmm...didn't thought of this one. It would most likely be a must-have for Paladins, because Lailat's blades hurt like nobody's business. Bards and Clerics wouldn't benefit so much, but you wouldn't see that many TN Bards or Clerics. Also: Undetectable Alignment + Stability = go or no go?

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Agree.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Ah, I do apologize on the Shield Other suggestion. It was rather late when I had been going over the spell suggestions; I had misread the spell; for some inane reason, I glanced at the line break wrongly, and read it as "+1 AC and +1 Deflection." I had thought that curious at the time, as deflection was into AC, but my sleep-muddled brain refused to clarify. Hence I suggested a dodge bonus instead of a resistance bonus. I admit my err, and apologize once again.

While I, too, would enjoy seeing the spell directly translated, I think the idea of an AC/Resist/Temp HP would be more readily adapted, as all of the game mechanics are already in place. They'd need some tinkering to have the HP split. Though, on another thought, what would you say if Shield Other gave the recipient a Diplomacy effect when struck? The attacker has to make a will save or be affected by Diplo? That could give the target a reprieve and spare the paladin a few HP, and also transfers attention to them.

In regards to Righteous Aura, Martyrdom is only a tier 3 enhancement for Radiant Servant. It grants 250/500/1,000 positive energy healing to allies & undead, and even grants Divine Cleansing if you took it. The tradeoff is that it's unaffected by spell power, you have to have it toggled on before you die, and you need 4 turn undeads stockpiled. But this is merely a suggestion to show that similar mechanics exist; I'm not opposed to the idea of making Righteous Aura a spell, just showing alternative possibilities.

In regards to the suggested augments for Bless Water, does Law water affect undead too? It is, sadly, not covered in the PHB, so please forgive my ignorance on the matter. If DDO did include a law-blessing and making sun flasks, I would suggest they be made separate spells, just to keep the sub-menu from getting too complex.

In regards to Daylight, I wonder if it would affect Rainbow in the Dark... and possibly grant a few other dark-based quests.

In regards to Dispel Chaos/Dispel Evil, the reason for my spell suggestion is that Break Enchantment is also a level 4 paladin spell. If Dispel Evil also had a break enchantment effect, that makes it a no-brainer over BE. I concede to the suggestion that the offensive buff aspect being Righteous and Banish on vorpal.

In regards to Mark of Justice, I initially thought Improved Curse was a bit steep. But clerics get Bestow Curse as a level 3 spell, wizards and sorcerers at level 4. That's level 5, 7, and 8 respectively. Mark of Justice is a level 4 paladin spell, which means they have to be level 14 at the earliest to use it. Between its level and the proc delay to once every 3 seconds rather then every hit, I think it justifies allowing Improved Curse. Though, the healing curse could be an interesting idea too...

In regards to Undetectable Alignment, only TN clerics and bards don't benefit from the spell. Word of Balance affects everyone for each step away from TN, so chaotic good clerics/bards will find it useful in that regard. And those that are chaotic will find the spell a boon against Inevitables, true? As far as Stability and similar alignment-based gear effects, I'm thinking UA does nothing for that; the proposed idea is only for incoming hostile effects based on alignment; I think that it helps to give the spell a little balance.

And now, I pontificate on my ideas for ranger spells from the PHB that have yet to be included.

Animal Messenger - Spell Level Brd 2, Drd 2, Rnr 1
    - PnP - You give a direction and a mental imprint of a location to a tiny animal, and send it there to carry a message. The animal waits for someone to approach and take the message, though it doesn't show any particular signs or insight that it is a messenger.
    - DDO Suggestion - Animal-based Noisemaker trap! Aim, click, a small animal scampers over and starts to make noise after a few seconds.

Calm Animals - Spell Level Animal domain 1, Drd 1, Rnr 1
    - PnP - You calm normal animals, up to 2d4 HD, +1 per caster level. Dire or animals trained to attack get a save, normal animals do not. They are soothed, do not attack or flee, but will defend themselves; threats break the spell.
    - DDO Suggestion - Have an AoE fascinate that works on animals. Maybe vermin and magical beasts too.

Command Plants - Spell Level Drd 4, Plant domain 4, Rgr 3
    - PnP - You affect up to 2 HD/CL of plant creatures, treating them as friendly; they won't attack you. You can try to use a charisma check to get them to act on your behalf, though won't do things obviously suicidal or hamrful.
    - DDO Suggestion - Either Charm Person or Fascinate that works on vine stalkers & dryads. And any other future plant-like beings. Or acts like DDO's command spell and has them lay down for a while...

Delay Poison - Spell Level Brd 2, Clr 2, Drd 2, Pal 2, Rgr 1
    - PnP - Delays when poison's effects kick in; any poison effects they are exposed to during or prior to the spell don't go off until the spell ends.
    - DDO Suggestion - To make up for the nerfed time on Neutralize Poison, how about 1 minute per caster level. Grants a static +2 or +4 bonus to saves against Poison. It also grants 10 Poison resistance, and increases similarly to Resist Element? Maybe even a little more, given the limitation on what reduces poison damage...

Diminish Plants - Spell Level Drd 3, Rnr 3
    - PnP - Two versions - Prune Growth causes plants within long range to shrink back and cut down to 1/3 their size, or Stunt Growth, reducing plant growth in a 1/2 mile for the next year, generating only 1/3 of their normal yield. Does not affect plant creatures.
    - DDO Suggestion - Affects plant creatures. Gives -4 Strength and deals a DoT to them.

Reduce Animal - Spell Level Drd 2, Rnr 3
    - PnP - Shrink a willing animal that ranges from Small to Huge, reducing its size 1 step.
    - DDO Suggestion - A debuff that gives target animal or magical animal (maybe vermin, too) -4 strength and reduced damage.

Repel Vermin - Spell Level Brd 4, Clr 4, Drd 4, Rgr 3
    - PnP - Creates a barrier that holds back vermin; if their HD is less then 1/3 your level, they auto-flee. Vermin with more HD need to make a will save to cross, and doing so still inflicts 2d6 damage on passing. Pressing against the barrier causes the vermin pain, which deters most vermin.
    - DDO Suggestion - An aura that deals periodic bane damage to vermin, and once every 6 seconds vermin have to make a Will save or be Feared for 10 seconds.

Tree Shape - Spell Level Drd 2, Rgr 3
    - PnP - You transform to look like a Large living tree, living shrub, or dead tree trunk. You get Dex 0, movement 0, +10 Natural Armor, and immune to crits.
    - DDO Suggestion - A short-term battle spell that grants you +10 Natural Armor, +10 PRR, and +25% stacking Fortification, but suffer a -30% movement speed reduction. Perhaps 6 seconds per caster level?

Water Walk - Spell Level Clr 3, Rnr 3
    - PnP - One creature touched per caster level can walk over liquid as if it was firm ground, hovering an inch or two over it. Traveling over lava still hurts due to proximity to the heat. If cast while underwater, the subjects raise upward at 60' a round, until able to stand atop the water.
    - DDO Suggestion - Monk's "Dance of the Water Strider" ability, now in easy to store cleric/ranger format! There weren't a lot of quests that benefited from water walking, but some people had fun with it.

Wind Wall - Spell Level Air domain 2, Clr 3, Drd 3, Rgr 2, Sorc/Wiz 3
    - PnP - A rising invisible wall of vertical air current, capable of blowing away small animals, objects, and projectiles. Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass. Somewhat malleable, just as long as it remains vertical.
    - DDO Suggestion - Create a small zone; while in it, allies get DR 10/bludgeoning or slashing, +1 per 2 caster levels to a max of 20. Enemies entering it get a -2 to attack rolls, small enemies entering it have to make a reflex save or fall down.

Community Member

leomund's safe refuge, no shrine in, just to take a brake for pot healing/re buffing when battle gets rough (cast in aoe, works like greater teleport. Press "yes" or "no", affects all the party)

mordenkainen's sword, and it would be hilarious with a pet/hire bar

forcecage

Clone

Improved invis

silence spell

delay death

mage's eye, or however the name is (pet bar would be required. Camera moves to the eye perspective, you become helpless)

clarivoyace (turn the walls invisible, just leave the outline there)

Detect magic ? I used to find traps with that in pnp (magical ones only, ofc)

knock's reverse ? Just locks a door. Prevents respawns from following and such. Would be nice if caster enemies become able to cast knock and open it.

skull trap, thought it would be simillar to fire trap

and many many more

allow more than 1 summon (summoning X amount of HD's)/ put a pet a bar / make them stronger

i'd love to see fly, pass wall, a real Ddoor, thought they don't fit DDO really.

Give me Energy Immunity, even if it only allows one immunity at a time, and I'll be very happy!

Community Member

/signed

Been needing new spells for a long time now. Especially Air Sorcs. Level 6 spell is the highest and only really have five spells: Eladrins, Lightning bolt, chain lightning, ball of lightning and electirc loop. I don't count shocking grasp because it is awful and you need to be too close to use it.

Don't know much about the D&D spell books but we do need new ones desperately and hopefully some new electric ones. And sooner rather than "Soon"

Update 21 The rebirth of the Sorcs
    Makes sense since we will be fighting all these new dragons. Make it so devs.