Community Member

Default That Which has no Life? A must see. Are you TR maniac?

This stems from the TR thread, but please notice the question mark in the title because everyone's situation is different. It is after all a subjective thing. Every MMO player should watch this. There is also a 2 hour special on MMO video games and tons of helpful sites come up with a Google search. Please keep in mind I am one of you.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e-not-warcraft

Awesome episode.

snip.

I am old school DnD, and like the system in DDO and the combat is the best. I have dabbled lightly with other games, but they seem less realistic in combat. Less instantaneous. Less tactical combat and too much click and watch.

I play DDO because it is fun. Not for gear or the next fix. I run quests because they are fun most of the time. It is rare for me to run the game for gear. I have one Greensteel item so far as an example. I have lots of materials with my casual Shrouds over the years, but have not bothered to make anything else. Sometimes I think about it, but I get by just fine with auction house gear mostly. I let the game stay ahead of me. It is more fun that way, and I enjoy it more when I find ways not to grind. I pace myself so I don't burn out or get ****ed. I am patient with the game and try not to ruin it by overplaying.

I am the casual player and have not TR'd yet in 4 year. Why TR when there are easier and less time consuming and less addictive ways to do it without wasting my life. I sell Raid Timers and buy DDO store items to help me keep up with the grinders. It supports the game. When I only have a few minutes I spend on here to help and give a casual way of playing option.

If everyone cycled down a little and became more casual in their play the game would not have to keep up with an addiction to keep it interesting. It is a game and not a way of life. It is wrong to think of it as a job. It is an escape and I can think of more destruction ways to escape the daily life than DDO or MMOs. In that way it is a good thing.

Now you are actually more productive in the game on average by working some overtime in real life, and using that money in the game with the DDO store rather than grinding your life away hours on end. I consider overtime a subjective word in this case and just one example. Some have different options and limitations in real life than others, but that is the exception and not the rule IMHO.

The creators of the game don't want you to play it like crazy. They just want you to have fun and give them money. It makes their jobs harder when people play it too much because they have to keep up to get the money. lol
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 09-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Fun is subjective. Do not decide what is fun for me.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Community Member

It's tiiiiiiiime for another lesson on human nature! Perspective.

People aren't rational on a regular basis. The way they live their life has a big effect on how they spend their free time.

Habits and "addictions" (easily becomes the same over time) are hard to defeat and change for alot of people.

When you play, let's say 6h/day, you don't consider yourself as a no lifer, because you have the time to do it (and the way anyone "waste" or use their time is their own choice)... since you actually do, do it. You don't just stop doing what you do everyday. It's a never ending circle which will be affected once something big happens in your life. Or you break out with gaming.

That's a % of the player base. Not all of it.

Then there's good/bad players which just don't advance at the same pace. Their goals aren't the same either. Where they end in the game is linked to what they're looking to achieve. Time doesn't matter for them but they'll eventually get to their destination and it's all that matters.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 09-22-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Everyone plays for fun. That raid-aholic you grouped with recently? Their idea of fun is likely finding ways to overcome every challenge the game can throw at them.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    It is a game and not a way of life.
    You're doing it wrong!
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Everyone plays for fun.
    I think when they started it was fun, but some people are caught in a sick cycle now.

I would not tell someone that grinding TRs day after day is not fun for them... It may be very enjoyable to them.

But when they come on these boards and post how boring and terrible it is to TR... then I have to ask... "Maybe (a) you should try doing it another way and see if that's more fun? (b) Maybe you shouldn't do it at all?"

If you occasionally grind, that one thing... if you constantly feel like you're grinding, you probably need to step back and take a good look at your choices.

You should be excited about stepping into that next quest. You should be happy that LFM came up, and you got to join. You should be having fun when playing a video game! If you're thinking "Ugh, one more time I guess", and you're thinking that most of the time, you're not having fun. Why are you doing something that is not fun most of the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    I'll tell you what's fun, and you'll enjoy it!

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I think when they started it was fun, but some people are caught in a sick cycle now.

I would not tell someone that grinding TRs day after day is not fun for them... It may be very enjoyable to them.

But when they come on these boards and post how boring and terrible it is to TR... then I have to ask... "Maybe (a) you should try doing it another way and see if that's more fun? (b) Maybe you shouldn't do it at all?"

If you occasionally grind, that one thing... if you constantly feel like you're grinding, you probably need to step back and take a good look at your choices.

You should be excited about stepping into that next quest. You should be happy that LFM came up, and you got to join. You should be having fun when playing a video game! If you're thinking "Ugh, one more time I guess", and you're thinking that most of the time, you're not having fun. Why are you doing something that is not fun most of the time?
    Pretty much every MMO has content that requires doing prerequisite content.

If you love Gianthold Tor's white dragon fight but hate the first room of that quest, you will be in that situation of thinking 'ugh, one more time I guess' when you step into that first room.

I see running a Wizard life somewhat like that - a boring prerequisite to having a character capable of running more interesting content. Not all of it is boring, but it is definitely the least entertaining part of the game.

The worst part of it is the soloing - before dungeon scaling got as bad as it is today you had an incentive to take random PUGgers along and 90% of them were useful. Now, any benefit of being more social comes at a cost of the quest taking longer - i.e. it is even longer until you have your character back at the level most of your friends and guildies are at.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

If you're thinking "Ugh, one more time I guess"
    I always thought this was the strangest aspect of MMO's.

My background with games is years of playing RPG's, JRPG's, and that was pretty much it. DDO was my first ever MMO.

Right before I started playing DDO I was on this really fun FFXII binge; I had finished the game through 8 or 9 times(2 full playthroughs, 1 Auto leveling playthroughs, 1 Low level challenge playthrough, and a few speed playthroughs.) And I never once got tired of it. There wasn't a single time(***With the exception of fighting Yiazmat 4 times. Oh gods was that painful...) where I thought, "Ugh, I am just tired of this!". In fact I would gladly pick the game up again right now and play through it again.

The same could be said for Skyrim, Morrowind, and a number of other really amazing RPG's. It wasn't until I came to DDO, and farmed Rusted blades 200+ times for my Drow weapons, my Dun'Robar rings, and another 200+ runs for ED's that I thought something along those lines.

I understand grinding for gear is one of the ways games keep players around, but I'm not sure DDO, or other MMO's have figured out the best way to do that yet. I wouldn't have minded having to farm a few weeks to get my ideal Dun'Robar ring. I did mind farming for almost 2 years, and never pulling a single ring, and having to buy one.

***EDIT:
    Also, gonna add this here just in case anyone ever gets the extremely stupid idea(I did!) to fight Yiazmat in Final Fantasy XII, while doing the Low Level(Or 122333) challenge. For the love of all that is unholy, don't do it. It took me 11 hours to clear that one fight.
    Last edited by TheLegendOfAra; 09-23-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

If you're thinking "Ugh, one more time I guess", and you're thinking that most of the time, you're not having fun. Why are you doing something that is not fun most of the time?
    Whenever I get to this point, and I have, at times, I take a break from DDO and play something else...

Not another MMO though... Completely different genre is important... Team-based first person shooters are always good for some mindless fun... Single player games with an actual ending are a very good change of pace for a MMO junkie like me.

After a week or two, I can come back to DDO, and it seems fresh again.

Been playing a lot of Madden25 with my son the last few weeks... Total blast, and keeps me from getting burned out on DDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

How do you kill that which has no life?

Easy, bore them to death.

Whenever I get to this point, and I have, at times, I take a break from DDO and play something else...

Not another MMO though... Completely different genre is important... Team-based first person shooters are always good for some mindless fun... Single player games with an actual ending are a very good change of pace for a MMO junkie like me.

After a week or two, I can come back to DDO, and it seems fresh again.

Been playing a lot of Madden25 with my son the last few weeks... Total blast, and keeps me from getting burned out on DDO.
    I have recently divided my spare time between DDO and the Mass effect series. I have been happy with this split. Sometimes I also break out with a battlefield game. Dawn of War also.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post

But what if that is fun for him?

It's pretty simple really. People that TR a lot find some aspect that is enjoyable. I don't necessarily enjoy the whole of the TRing experience, but there is some fun in there. Like getting to that level where you can put on your sweet gear or certain quests.

I'm not a big fan of having to go back and kill kobolds in a sewer but those are the things one does to get to where they ARE having fun again. It's a mixed bag, ultimately it's fun enough if one is doing it.

I know on my completionists I almost quit at life 8 or 9 because it was getting tedious and monotonous, but that was my fault for feeling that I had to do it all in a row non-stop. I chilled out for a bit and then had fun completing.

Being in a relationship is supposed to be fun, but there are certainly times when it's not. Does that mean one just quits? Perhaps, but if the ultimate fun outweighs the boring or annoying then one keeps on going.

Party on Garth!
    Deedeeo- 18th life Completionist (12monk/6Ranger/2Artificer) ~ Sonos- 3rd life Artificer (sorc, bard PLs) ~ Tronsector- 3rd Life Wizard
    Flavored Soul- 2nd life Sorc(FVS PL). (and umpteen bank toons and experiments) Member of Synergia(lvl100)-Argonessen

The thing is, most people who post their complaints in a public forum like this seem to want only a sympathetic shoulder to cry one, not suggestions (no matter how well meant) about how to experience the game differently or how to challenge themselves, and, often, they lash out at people who offer these types of suggestions. So option 'A' is almost universally rejected.

Option 'B' is not only rejected, but often received as an insult since the poster is getting the exact opposite of the sympathy he/she was looking for. So instead of taking the suggestion at face value, which would also mean doing something they don't want to do, they see it as a personal attack or at the very least mocking their feelings.

I essentially agree with you though. When an optional leisure time activity becomes so frustrating for someone that they lash out publicly and lash out against others who mean well, then it is definitely time to take a break.