Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Live from world 8-4

It's Bowserkoopa!

You know as one of those "elitist ******'s" I feel I should maybe provide some insight into the vast and mysterious world of Elitist.

You see it all started when us Elitist ****'s first started DDO and joined some raids or maybe did raids in other games and learned something. There are just like in quests two types of people that run a party. A. Do it for fun don't care if we fail and B. Expect to win using the least amount of resources possible as quickly as possible. Obviously the Elitist ****'s generally all into the later category. And in order to get into group B's raids you need to not be a drain on resources and also not be a totally unknown build that the party leader doesn't understand.

So now that we know the Elitist *****'s want to win and want to win as quickly as possible to move on to the next thing on today's schedule of things to do. If you do not fit the mold of the established "easiest most efficient" way to beat the raid yes you will probably get declined. Does this make the Elitist ***** a bad person? I don't think so, probably other things do but that's another story. It just means you are not a fit and are left with a few choices. Either wait till a non elitist ***** puts up an LFM or Start to learn how to make character that fits into the "Mold" of what they want or Make your own party or just don't raid.

Another thing to do is visit these forums or the DDOWiki to learn more about the raid you wanted to join to see why you don't fit the "elitist" way of doing it.

Obviously there are other scenarios that can occur as to why you didn't make the group such as party leader having bad runs with your guild etc but hey really I think I've covered the normal bases here. So stop being a hater Mr casual man, not everyone is an Elitist and some of those people you think are Elitist will sometimes surprise you and be friendly and tell you the "why" as to you've been declined.

So there you have it most elitist *****'s are really just people who want to get the job done as quickly as possible and not really such terrible people after all. And they don't sit at home thinking oh man if I let casual guy A. into the raid he might get some of my phat lootz and only we elitist should have it because obviously there is a limit on how many ESoS can exist in the game and even one noob having it hurts us all.

Bowserkoopa

The king of the Elitist Jerks
    Last edited by Vyrtigo; 09-23-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Keeper of Keenbean's Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrtigo View Post
    It's Bowserkoopa!

You know as one of those "elitist ******'s" I feel I should maybe provide some insight into the vast and mysterious world of Elitist.

You see it all started when us Elitist ****'s first started DDO and joined some raids or maybe did raids in other games and learned something. There are just like in quests two types of people that run a party. A. Do it for fun don't care if we fail and B. Expect to win using the least amount of resources possible as quickly as possible. Obviously the Elitist ****'s generally all into the later category. And in order to get into group B's raids you need to not be a drain on resources and also not be a totally unknown build that the party leader doesn't understand.

So now that we know the Elitist *****'s want to win and want to win as quickly as possible to move on to the next thing on today's schedule of things to do. If you do not fit the mold of the established "easiest most efficient" way to beat the raid yes you will probably get declined. Does this make the Elitist ***** a bad person? I don't think so, probably other things do but that's another story. It just means you are not a fit and are left with a few choices. Either wait till a non elitist ***** puts up an LFM or Start to learn how to make character that fits into the "Mold" of what they want or Make your own party or just don't raid.

Another thing to do is visit these forums or the DDOWiki to learn more about the raid you wanted to join to see why you don't fit the "elitist" way of doing it.

Obviously there are other scenarios that can occur as to why you didn't make the group such as party leader having bad runs with your guild etc but hey really I think I've covered the normal bases here. So stop being a hater Mr casual man, not everyone is an Elitist and some of those people you think are Elitist will sometimes surprise you and be friendly and tell you the "why" as to you've been declined.

So there you have it most elitist *****'s are really just people who want to get the job done as quickly as possible and not really such terrible people after all. And they don't sit at home thinking oh man if I let casual guy A. into the raid he might get some of my phat lootz and only we elitist should have it because obviously there is a limit on how many ESoS can exist in the game and even one noob having it hurts us all.

Bowserkoopa

You forgot to add that if it isn't something someone could easily grief and it's not ee or brand brand new even most elitists I've met will talk a chance on a pug or two on occassion because they're not even needed to complete and if they drain resources the can always be left dead.

Community Member

It's Bowserkoopa!

Bowserkoopa

Here's the problem with being selective for raids. They aren't that hard. Period. If you find that they are, and that you need to be selective, you probably aren't qualified to lead the raid. You're not the center of the universe. There are other people in your group who would like to also achieve things quickly, and in this instance, it is the raid leader keeping them from doing so, not the horror of someone joining that doesn't meet the raid leader's unrealistic expectation of what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Here's the problem with being selective for raids. They aren't that hard. Period. If you find that they are, and that you need to be selective, you probably aren't qualified to lead the raid. You're not the center of the universe. There are other people in your group who would like to also achieve things quickly, and in this instance, it is the raid leader keeping them from doing so, not the horror of someone joining that doesn't meet the raid leader's unrealistic expectation of what is needed.
    It all depends on the difficulty and the raid, ee fot it's probably worth it. Old epic lob it was probably worth it. EE von5 not really worth it.

It's Bowserkoopa!

Bowserkoopa

So when will Magikoopa start with the FOT training runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    So when will Magikoopa start with the FOT training runs?
    Koopa's don't do training runs, mobs need to eat as well, how do you think the mobs got so rich? Smashing newbs =P

pretty much not anymore, but as described by Vyrtigo, most of those "elitist" groups just want to get the raid done quickly and efficiently as possible. its not necessarily that one pug spot or two that could mean the difference of a wipe or not because those kinds of groups can pick up your slack or inability in a raid. ive been in my fair share of groups like this before and most times they don't give a role to a pug unless they know and trust you to handle it and they pug only after they have already asked all their friends first. if players want to run with groups like these than they need to know what to do, keep up/fastreaction/self sufficient/, not be a *ding* expert, mana drain, griefer or whatever. these kinds of groups want to play with like minded players and if they don't know you, bad experiences with your guild, weird build to them, bad experiences with you in the past, etc than don't be surprised you cant get in. some will be honest if you ask why, but some will just flat out ignore you. if you cant play with those kinds of standards in an "elitist" group than you are better off finding a different group. it doesn't matter if the player requesting to join thinks the raid isn't hard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    pretty much not anymore, but as described by Vyrtigo, most of those "elitist" groups just want to get the raid done quickly and efficiently as possible. its not necessarily that one pug spot or two that could mean the difference of a wipe or not because those kinds of groups can pick up your slack or inability in a raid. ive been in my fair share of groups like this before and most times they don't give a role to a pug unless they know and trust you to handle it and they pug only after they have already asked all their friends first. if players want to run with groups like these than they need to know what to do, keep up/fastreaction/self sufficient/, not be a *ding* expert, mana drain, griefer or whatever. these kinds of groups want to play with like minded players and if they don't know you, bad experiences with your guild, weird build to them, bad experiences with you in the past, etc than don't be surprised you cant get in. some will be honest if you ask why, but some will just flat out ignore you. if you cant play with those kinds of standards in an "elitist" group than you are better off finding a different group. it doesn't matter if the player requesting to join thinks the raid isn't hard.
    The point is those so called leet players are a cancerous blight on the games community and ability to retain new players. This is another reason we who keep saying raids dont belong in DDO are right. You cant have a game appeal to the casual and the hard core alike, one will always be offended by the wants of the other side, and when both sides are paying into the game both are right demanding the other side not be catered to. However considering the lack of a raid even being added with this expansion want to guess which faction tends to grind TP rather then pay for it? The same faction that was clearly not catered to at all this latest update to the game.

Default Well I see a discussion has started

Oh boy a real discussion.

So lets cover some of the points here.

Firstly yes I am the center of the Universe I'm an Elitist ****** after all and the King of the Koopa's

Next I could of typed up every scenario and even thought of adding some prefixes in there such as "this mostly applies to the first X time running X new raid or XYZ raid on ABC difficulty but really I didn't feel like it.

As to to the other people who "suffer" because people are picky in choosing who gets in there are various scenarios for this too, such as maybe you don't have a tank/kiter/healer or some other scenarios and maybe they can be sabotaged as someone else said. Either way anyone who joined the leaders raid joined with the general idea that they trusted that person to let in who they wanted based on how they run the raid and short of dropping there is not much you as party member X can do about it.

Now moving on to Teh_Troll as soon as I am done ravaging Los Santos on GTA V I have plans to have Magikoopa raid training days so that all of Ghallanda can learn how to do raids.

Again I can not speak for every raid leader but really I think my spiel covered enough of the "idea" as to why those elitist *****'s as people like to put it do what they do in terms of taking or declining people for their raid that they decided to lead.

Bowserkoopa,

Explaining the side of the bad guys because I can, also Raid bosses still need a boost turbine
    Last edited by Vyrtigo; 09-23-2013 at 04:32 PM.

You make it seem like "selective" raids wait forever to get started. That's hardly ever true.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    I want to raid. I do. My favorite quest in the game is Chronoscope. I love every single thing about it. From the story, to the fights, to the design, just fantastic. I've only run this quest in an actual raid group once. Tempest Spine is also amazing, though, again, I've run it in a group once. Vault of Night I did twice with a full raid group, but we wiped the first one (due to me, funny story, not a gimp story, just funny) so we did a second run. These are the ONLY three raids I have run in the game in an actual group. I have run DQ, with myself, my wife and two members of our guild. I usually just soloed it way over level. Same goes with Shroud....my wife and I duo'ed it all the way to Harry when we were level 25. We died shortly thereafter. Also stepped into CitW just to see how long we would last, wasn't very long, but granted, we stepped in on EE just to see how terrible we were and we laughed a lot.

For us, this game is fun, and we want to experience all of it, but raiding just ISN'T fun, and here is why. Every raid we have been in has been full of the most elitist jerks I have ever come across. The reason I know ADQ, Chrono and Tempest Spine so well now is due to a friend I made who ran us through them (in a three man group) until we learned them. But every other raid we've joined, the jerks came out in full force. Now, this is my own issue, and not turbines, but my wife has severe anxiety disorder, and I have schizophrenia (yes, the kind you think of, no, I never hear voices telling me to kill people, yes I get asked that all the time, and yes, we compliment each other very well when both of us have episodes...lol). Anyway, I can take people saying things to me, but my wife can't. And when you try to explain to someone in a private tell "Hey man, lighten up on my wife. She plays for fun, and has anxiety issues, and you're sending her into a panic attack" and they respond by openly mocking her in party chat, and this has happened in multiple raids, then yeah, we end up not raiding.
    Honestly, I PUG quite a bit, and run these raids quite a bit. I’ve yet to have a raid with that type of behavior. Cripes, I ran an EE DQ last night where I died twice before we hit the end fight due to lag (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it), and aside from a good-natured ribbing, no one said anything.

We had to abort the run because of genuine server problems (everyone was frozen in place while the mobs wailed on us). No one dumped me, we went back in, and re-did the run with no deaths on my part.

I’ve done Chrono a lot. Post u14, I’ve never seen anyone uptight about that run about A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y. Cripes, we’ve even had a few get lost in the giant caves (Fire and Ice) in Tempest where it gets really ugly really quick – no one said anything.

Maybe it is a server thing, I dunno. I haven’t seen that on my server. And I really don’t suffer jerks well.

So it is either your specific server, or - and don’t take this wrong - perhaps it is an oversensitivity on your part.

And, to be honest, if you’re confronting a genuine jerk, your best bet for you and your wife is to just depart the quest. Telling them to lighten up, showing them some sort of weakness is like covering your body with raw meat, and jumping into a hole with hungry wolves – the outcome will not be pretty. Keep an eye out for people you like to run with, join their raids, and the problem goes away. I have a list of people I don’t run with, mainly for this reason.

And if you are not comfortable with raids at this point, I really suggest that you DO NOT join a CITW run. It is long, annoying, and requires a lot of coordination. If you are having problems in Chronoscope, CITW is going to be grueling for you. Stick with the lower-level raids that vets can do blindfolded, so as to get used to taking directions, and figuring out your place in the group. Otherwise, you’re just setting yourself up for more heartburn.

Default Oh boy more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    The point is those so called leet players are a cancerous blight on the games community and ability to retain new players. This is another reason we who keep saying raids dont belong in DDO are right. You cant have a game appeal to the casual and the hard core alike, one will always be offended by the wants of the other side, and when both sides are paying into the game both are right demanding the other side not be catered to. However considering the lack of a raid even being added with this expansion want to guess which faction tends to grind TP rather then pay for it? The same faction that was clearly not catered to at all this latest update to the game.
    A cancerous blight against new players? Really? Really? Really?

I for one call this claim absurd and not well thought out.

Let me explain this for you a few different ways.

Firstly, generally it is the "Elitist ****'s" who first figure out the intented (or unintended) way to efficiently beat most raids, those same Elitist *****'s generally come here or share via some method how to beat the raid. Newer non elitist consume the information and suddenly the raid for the Newer non Elitist is much easier for them as they have a blue print. I'm sure if I had the time I could find many threads providing this, such as the "how to beat the Lord of Blades Raid, probably archived somewhere is how to beat Vision of Destruction, Tower of Despair etc etc and many quests too. So here is one way Elitist *****'s have helped the raiding community. This isn't to say that maybe in the long run casual's or noob's etc may not eventually come up with a better way but generally someone always finds the "way" to do it and shares.

Next eventually after become very skilled at the raid most Elitist *****'s requirements or whatever you want to call it become more lax and new blood get in and probably learn something. Yes Elitist *****'s do take friends and sometimes puggers.

Next it is every players right in the game to group with who they want based on their choices of either joining or leaving a party if you don't agree with whomever is in it or leading it etc. Why are new players or casuals more entitled to this right than the Elitist?

And lastly anyone at any point has the ability to make their own group, take whoever they want maybe the first 11 people that hit the LFM and attempt any raid. You may win you may fail you may stumble upon a new strategy that Elitist *****'s never thought of or you may fail miserably but you took the chance to do it your way and good for you really we Elitist don't mind.

So I say for being a cancerous blight, Elitist seem to do a lot for everyone noob or not, some Elitist come here and get us better enhacements and loot by pointing out design flaws. Some Elitist come here and tell us how to build various characters we never even thought of and some Elitist simply actually do hate all non Elitist and you know what that is their right just as it is your right to think otherwise.

Bowserkoopa,

So much hatred the darkside is strong in these forums

I wouldn't go that far. they have a preferred way of playing and they don't usually pug unless they feel like it for the LOLs or hope that that pug will be a contributor and not a wasted party slot. people who put up lfms can put together parties any way they like. if they choose to play this way and want to be picky, than they can. it just sucks sometimes when you dont know until you start running the raid or after you were declined to join that its one of those "elitist" groups. they dont advertise it usually. it also sucks sometimes, I have been there before too, when you know the raid very well and never had problems with it before, but the party leader doesn't know you so he might decline you because of that. not a big deal, just move on. if we dont like to play that way, we have options to either start our own raid or join someone elses that is a better fit.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

See one problem with raids on DDO in general is that for many and I mean MANY I myself included as well as most I encounter in game from launch to now, is that DDO is only truly fun as far as playing content its first time through. And people constantly talking about what is to come, and how this raid or taht will be ran are pure SPOILERS. This is why many of us just say raiding in DDO is a flaw that should never have been added no different then all the pve players shout down any addition to PVP development. ALL content needs to be designed to be run through without KNOWING ANYTHING about it. Any mechanics unique to that content need to be clearly and with player immersion in mind. Having to run and re run failing time and again to figure things out because they are not well enough explained in game is bad design for any RPG.

This is one of the greatest conflicts for know it all first raider types, and run it one for fun and done and get max favor type players. If you want content that will take 69 failures and 6 months to beat, then go play WoW. DDO should not have any content that requires meta gaming to even have a viable chance to beat.

This is why many just join raids without admitting to first timing it, they dont want to be kicked, nor have any spoilers so they often mute their PC so they cant here the know it all ruining all the surprise value, and often turn off party chat as well, hence why so many mistakenly call casuals solo playing in groups, its not taht they dont want to group, nor do they want to cause conflicts, they just want to be able to enjoy the game without others ruining it for them.

Again this is why raids, where so called teaching runs are seen as a required form of mentorship, actually hurt DDO. I have known people who quit DDO after VoN came out and experiencing nothing but groups with a PL who had already run it and was constantly spoiling it all for the rest. They would rather not be on a game that made spoilers a mandatory part of play nor expected during grouping and being seen as the bad guy for not letting them.
    This makes no sense what-so-ever. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

Would said noob be pleased if the party leader went into VON5/6 didn't tell anyone anything about how the riad works, everyone ran around having no idea what was going on, the raid took an extra 30 minutes because some noob picked up the ring and never says anything and died in the lava, and after 2 hours of bu!!sh*t said noob doesn't even get a completion?

Yeah, I'm sure that's much preferable to the party leader simply explaining how the raid works, and how to complete it. Which in no way give spoilers to the story.

Or how about in a simple FOT run where everyone but one person has run it 10-20 times and are just looking for a quick completion. Is it spoilers for the party leader to say "Hey you have to kill the TO, and the reaver at the same time"? I don't think so. And I'd be pretty ****ed if someone wasted 20 minutes of my time in a FOT run that could have gone perfectly smooth if they hadn't turned their ears off to avoid "spoilers", and possibly causing the raid to wipe.

Take this out of the raid scenario and lets look at the same situation in a quest like Sane Asylum at level on elite. Would you really prefer to be lost in this quest for hours, only to get to the puzzle room and never figure it out that simply having the party leader say, "go here kill this thing, go here kill this thing, do the puzzle, here's an extra chest or two, and here the end fight." ?

Simply put, I've yet to meet a person in game as stupid as you describe yourself to be.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    eh? Where did you get this data?
    Pulling it out of the same place he pulls most of his 'information'... thin air.

Dear OP,

Most of us who lead raids had to take the time to build and gear toons capable of running them as well as learn the in's and outs of the endeavor. Most of us who lead raids have done one or many things that have lead to additional problems completing or the occasional wipe. We get to the point that we can teach the raid to others by having learned methods to complete it ourselves.

Some of us are even capable of soloing raid content, but would rather not spend the time and resources required to do so. Others of us can duo or shortman it and do so with regularity. Raid leaders who have done these things oftentimes invite others via lfm's to share the experience. But let's delve a little bit into that concept if you don't mind. When I am leading, I expect people to tell me they are new. I almost always ask if people are new so I can focus in on them to make sure they walk away from the completion with some idea of what to do in the future. In fact, my guild leader has referred to my 'over explaining' on occasion. It's actually a bit of an annoyance sometimes to people who have many completions. But there are two things that will change my demeanor from that of a polite sort who says 'please' and 'thank you' to to a fountain of sarcasm and disparaging remarks. They are:

1. Being new to the raid and not saying so when I ask or informing others.
    2. Not following directions.

Short of that, I don't care. If I have a couple reliable players the raid will complete. But that's the thing, OP. Yes we will complete, and yes having to make up for unprepared and/or non listening participants comes at a resource cost. I don't want that cost. Myself, and many other raid leaders I am familiar with will in fact take new players. However, we wont if it appears the toon you are running is not up to what will be the assigned task. The folks willing to heal and support those raids are stuck with the additional costs that having the aforementioned #'s 1&2 bring to the table. And that is why some of us will do teaching runs. Because we know from the start then that it's going to be expensive, and the people in support roles are prepared and willing to take on that additional cost.

In your posts, I see a failure to acknowledge a few things. First, and most importantly, you fail to acknowledge that you are potentially wasting the time of others by entering a raid on an unprepared toon with no idea of what to do. Wasting the time of others is a big deal in endgame groups. There is also a real possibility that you are not raid ready. Getting raid ready is not the responsibility of the leader of the raid, it's yours. Thirdly, you seem to ignore the newer mechanic that allows players of varying degrees of experience or group strength to run raids on lower difficulties and still be able to garner the very same raid items through the upgrade mechanics.

You appear to be fine with the concept of joining an experienced party and offering little to no actual contribution to that parties efforts. This is not okay.

You also appear to be fine with failing a raid and not doing what many of us did; learning how to get a raid done through trial and error. This also is not okay.

As a raid leader it isn't my responsibility to carry you to completion and loot chances when you add nothing to the parties effectiveness. It is my responsibility to get a raid done in a way to where no one is disadvantaged. This includes my support folks. I've every right to refuse to allow a player into my raid group if they cannot meet the low bar of what's required to get it done.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

I'm serious and uncharacteristically not trolling.
    It's true.

Teh_Troll is the pinnacle of human decency, representing all that is good, true and moral in humankind.

(apologies, I just loved the above sentence)

Community Member

I am sure it's already been said...but the OP used far too many words to what amounted to "hay guys, some people were mean to me, so raids suck and I want a tissue and a hug!".

The OPs personal issues, with social interaction or otherwise, aren't a mechanic or gameplay issue. I feel somewhat misled by the title, but I got a good laugh out of the OP. Off to read the rest of the thread....hope it lives up to my expectations

Community Member

I think I have an easy fix to some of these issues: open up 'casual' difficulty setting for raids.

This could be balanced to be easy enough for a normal group of 6 average geared/skilled players to complete but to offset the lowered difficulty they should not drop any raid loot whatsoever. This would give folks a chance to experience the raids with just a couple friends and go as super slow as they like to learn the mechanics/story without anyone bothering you or you them. After you learn it you're no longer a newb so you will have more confidence joining "regular" raids.

There, problem solved.

Aside from that I fall under the "we need way more raids" category because that's the only thing I find fun once you've run everything a couple times. It's all about giving us that mountain to climb, if you make it too easy we get bored and move on. For me that mountain is all about difficulty so TR'ing is not it. Maybe add another step above "elite" for all quests & raids?

For devs: higher difficulty does not necessarily mean more hp. It's all about the design, puzzles/traps/riddles/etc are all good ways to add fun/difficulty but ideally they should be so random you can't just look up the answer.

Really though we need a DM mode to create our own content. I want to play dungeons that make toee look like cake.

Now that I actually read the OP's post . . .

The solution to the OP's issue is become a better player and you won't be excluded.

I'm serious and uncharacteristically not trolling. You need something to aim for in DDO, aiming to be a good enough player to be a good raider is a goal. Without goals you might as well play farmiville.

Well there is that but some people are just really elitist and really only stick with a few people that they consider on their level. Doesn't matter if you're a good player or not. They'll just kick you for almost any reason or may even decline your request outright. It's why I'm starting to not like epic level content myself. Too many people like to act like insulting morons for no good reason.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast