Hybrid View

Default Frequent lock-ups

Hi,

I have more and more lock-ups (have to restart the computer manually) more and more frequently after each update, patch, expansion etc.
    I have to reinstall the game after every lock-up because it freezes after reconnection.

Tried to fix it, no matter what graphics or sound settings I use, my video card supposedly supported. I'd set the port, I tried playing without firewall, nothing helps. DirectX updated.

Any ideas?

Default complete system freeze

i have no solution but i too experience complete system freeze on occasion. sad part is that it occurs completly randomly - be it mid quest or just going from one floor of ship to next. it is not tied to specific area or time. it has nothing to do with graphics (trust me i decreased graphics to minimum and it still happened).

i am baflled and scared to even turn the game on (altho i do wait for drives to cease working prior to reset it might still cause some problems.)
    i do not use Google because it is pure evil (it managed to ruin both YT and internet in generall, altho in later one it did have great help)
    Microsoft my former archnemesis is currently aobut only thing standing between internet being internet and internet being parody of internet. Alas even they are still in on the whole selling netizen's data to other corporations.

STOP: ACTA, PIPA, SOPA (and varriations) Netizens need rights not just rules!

Community Member

Suffering the same symptoms here, I think 14+ instances of Awesomiumporcess.exe have something to do with it.

Let's just clarify the type of crash:

Crash-to-desktop (where the game exits, but leaves you with a running system) is usually a corrupt
    installation, and you should re-install. I recommend doing a scan of the disk (w/bad sector checking)
    for piece of mind if the disk is more than a year old and not an SSD.

Blue Screen crashes are typically driver-related. If that's what you're seeing, post a DXDiag and let's
    see what that looks like.

Hard lockups (where the computer is completely frozen and needs to be reset/power-cycled) trend toward
    hardware problems. Heat is a frequent culprit - if this is a desktop, open up your box and blow out all the
    heatsinks. Then turn the computer on and make sure all the fans spin - particularly the CPU, graphics card,
    and power supply fans. For laptops, you're kind of stuck. Next, I'd pull down memtest86 and let it run
    overnight. Lastly, I'd use a utility to check the memory on the graphics card.

That's all the easy stuff. I ended up having to replace my computer's motherboard a while back because
    of frequent crashes - it wasn't any of the easy stuff. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentMage View Post
    Let's just clarify the type of crash:
    Hard lockups (where the computer is completely frozen and needs to be reset/power-cycled) trend toward
    hardware problems. Heat is a frequent culprit - if this is a desktop, open up your box and blow out all the
    heatsinks. Then turn the computer on and make sure all the fans spin - particularly the CPU, graphics card,
    and power supply fans. For laptops, you're kind of stuck. Next, I'd pull down memtest86 and let it run
    overnight. Lastly, I'd use a utility to check the memory on the graphics card.

That's all the easy stuff. I ended up having to replace my computer's motherboard a while back because
    of frequent crashes - it wasn't any of the easy stuff. Just sayin'.
    ookay my type is this one that i have selected,

my computer is as clean as i can make it physically and i even recently ran couple of tools on it (defrag checking badsecrots etc.) to try and clean the virtual part. it dose not seem to help much tho. Anny further ideas?
    Last edited by James_Blood; 10-14-2013 at 05:08 AM.
    i do not use Google because it is pure evil (it managed to ruin both YT and internet in generall, altho in later one it did have great help)
    Microsoft my former archnemesis is currently aobut only thing standing between internet being internet and internet being parody of internet. Alas even they are still in on the whole selling netizen's data to other corporations.

STOP: ACTA, PIPA, SOPA (and varriations) Netizens need rights not just rules!

Well have you tried using the preloader?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eload-official

at the very least things will load faster (unless maybe if you are using a SSD)

A guildy was crashing often in game and the preloader seemed to help resolve his issues. Secondly there was a sound issue I heard causing various crashes as well:

Options => Audio => Sound Playback => Software (Change from Hardware to Software.)

Quote Originally Posted by James_Blood View Post

my computer is as clean as i can make it physically and i even recently ran couple of tools on it (defrag checking badsecrots etc.) to try and clean the virtual part. it dose not seem to help much tho. Anny further ideas?
    I just want to double check this because I've had family members make that statement but only mean the outside of the case. Do you mean you've opened the case and looked at the internal hardware and it is clean and dustbunny free? I apologize for double checking like this but like I said I've been in situations where I've told aunts and uncles to clean out the dust and they just cleaned the outer case.

My other question is, is your computer old enough where having hardware go bad is a likely possibility? Or are you running on a 32 bit system where it could be the system just can't handle it anymore?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by James_Blood View Post

Same here. Press the reset button or cycle the power.

Cleaned inside the machine first. Tried using various versions of Nvidia drivers. NVIDIA GeForce GT 610. Current drivers: Driver Version 6.14.13.1422. This version seems to lock up the least. More recent driver versions tended to play a happy little diddy on my PC speakers (two tones) when it locked up. Cleaned registry with ccleaner in between driver installations. Did various cleanups including erasing the directories, doing a full scandisk, and defragmenting (I'm almost certain this is a complete waste of time with NTFS.) Drive is 90% empty anyway.

Seems to happen most often when system has (apparently) timed out and logged me off, but it doesn't happen every time. It seemed to start with the Awesome nonsense, which I understand it to make sure that all players get their minimum daily allotment of carpal tunnel - oops, I mean so that nobody uses a robot or something that could press multiple keystrokes in sequence. I'm mildly curious if the frustration this is causing actually prevents someone with a console from doing it anyway, but I wouldn't want anyone to get banned for confirming my suspicion that it is serving little or no purpose.